• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

JKTrix said:
Hell yeah LoGH.

Also I started watching Steins Gate again after dropping its first episode. Since I got nothin' else to do.

They really don't make anime as awesome as LOGH anymore. I'm getting sad =(

Blood C 12(END)

Really? I mean... really?
Elder Bairn turning into a blender and mulching people?

The movie... the movie better be good.

trejo

Utena 31

I guess it just stands to reason that Nanami
would be disappointed that the brother she has the hots for isn't actually related to her by blood
. And oh yeah, those two. I'd been wondering when they'd get around to that. Things are getting a little awkward, I won't lie.

Also, it was really cruel the way Akio totally
cockblocked poor little Tsuwabuki
. Cruel, but funny.

And now, time for penguins!

Mawaru Penguin Drum 12

4PT9Q.jpg

Today is truly a day to remember.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mawaru Penguindrum 12: That felt a lot longer than it actually was. Now, that's not a complaint. There's just a lot to consider on that episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
jman2050 said:
Penguins 12

64mlmr.jpg

Ikuhara has some balls
I don't see what's so balltastic about this episode except for
using the '95 sarin gas attacks as reference for the background story
, something which had been telegraphed for a long arse time.

Articalys

Mawaru Penguindrum 12

Confusing. But also outstanding.

How many different organizations are involved now? Three penguin logos plus these rabbits?

Regulus Tera said:
I don't see what's so balltastic about this episode except for
using the '95 sarin gas attacks as reference for the background story
, something which had been telegraphed for a long arse time.

You don't think
killing off Himari for real (maybe?)
was ballsy?

duckroll

I don't think there's anything "ballsy" about Pendrum 12 at all. But the episode itself has many very serious implications for the series in general.

Mawaru Penguindrum 12

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

Where will we get our fix of Rock Over Japan now? I know that Ikuhara definitely has his next set of stock footage waiting in the wings, but still...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
hosannainexcelsis said:
By "ballsy", all I mean is
something that could upset a good amount of the audience
. Not that it's something completely out of the norm for narratives.
If people were only watching because
they really liked Himari
they probably would have jumped off the train in the middle of the stalker!Ringo arc.

Instro

MPD 12

This kind of reminded me of the first episode in that there was quite bit going on, it was a bit confusing, and I'm not sure where the show is heading. The shifting between Shouma's story and what was actually happening was pretty outstanding, I enjoyed that very much. MPD is very good at giving you plot information but keeping the big picture out of reach, every time you feel like you're starting to grasp certain aspects of the show it expands the scope, keeping everything quite mysterious. Although I imagine some of our more astute viewers will pick up on plenty of things I missed, which whats nice about having so many of us watching this show.

Now then...
What the fuck. Himari is dead?! Fuck this show, infinite sadness :(((((((. Why would you kill my favorite character? Ruining my night, thanks Ikuhara. She better come back to life soon you dick.

Regulus Tera said:
If people were only watching because
they really liked Himari
they probably would have jumped off the train in the middle of the stalker!Ringo arc.

Perhaps. Then again:

Instro said:
Now then...
What the fuck. Himari is dead?! Fuck this show, infinite sadness :(((((((. Why would you kill my favorite character? Ruining my night, thanks Ikuhara. She better come back to life soon you dick.

trejo

Penguindrum 12

Yeah, this was an excellent episode in pretty much all categories as far as I'm concerned. Most outstanding of all, though, is the use of music to capture the mood of a scene. They absolutely nail it every which way. What is already a pretty engaging scene gets raised to new heights because of it. Truly outstanding.

As far as the narrative goes, the implications here are quite interesting. I have to say, I don't have a single clue where the show goes from here and I fucking love that.

Is there such a thing as an Ikuhara overdose? Cause that might be what I'm experiencing right now.

Jex

Good times:

sasuraiger said:
who the fuck would go to a movie version of this

holy shit, what a DELIBERATELY awful show. The viewer and all of humanity are held in utter contempt.

I can see how a person would be into this show, but it's incredibly, pointlessly meanspirited to the point where I had to laugh...

And at the end of it, the target of CLAMP's abuse is absolutely you, the viewer, who gave a shit about any of this.
Reknoc said:
Blood-C 12

This was more than I could ever have hoped for.
More..abusive?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Blood-C: serious business herp derp

EDIT: hahaha branduil (at that other anime forum):
Branduil said:
I don't know if there's ever been a series this fully committed to its theme of total misanthropy. I mean the last episode really left no doubt to how much CLAMP despises humanity. I had thought before this that Arjuna was the most misanthropic anime series in existence, but it has nothing on this. Arjuna hates people, but it also wants them to learn, in an incredibly ham-fisted way. CLAMP has no interest in us learning anything. They just wants us to know how much they hate us.
Branduil CLAMP hurts you because CLAMP loves you.

Penguindrum 12

Well that was unexpected. As much as I like unpredictability, I do hate
plot twists
on top of plot twists without explanation.

What was wrong with Tabukis fingers at Mamokas funeral?

They never showed Mamoka's face, I expect her to return in the future.

Dark bunnies now? The fuck?

Himari stripping the cabbage was so moe. She still seems too instrumental, I suspect she isn't dead for sure yet. Still, it was incredibly sad.

Also suspecting Time Travel shenanigans

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Blood-C 11-12

This was an amazing experience. The action in the last episode especially was very impressively animated and directed. This ended up quite enjoyable and I greatly look forward to the movie. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch some solid popcorn entertainment.

Not that I would eat popcorn while watching this. Or anything. Even with the lazy censorship, it's so brutal!
Imagine sharing at with friends around a dinner table!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
duckroll said:
Penguin Drum Ep12

I'm not going to say much about this episode at all, other than it was very well directed. This is a major episode that changes the entire context of the series up to now, and I feel that most of the opinions I had on the series as a whole previously, no longer apply. Both the good and the bad. Regarding the contents of the episode itself, I hope everyone watches it and decides for themselves whether they like where it is going, don't rely on impressions for ep12, they are all pointless, make up your own mind.

Just wanted to say I totally agree with this completely.

And no I don't like where it went. Everything about this episode was excessive. It's hard to even take this seriously,
because they've already gone down this well. If you have to ask if she's dead for good then it's not that big of a deal. This essentially was the reset button / conclusion of the first half, and really as such it feels like a total letdown.

Dark bunnies really?

I'm not mad at this episode, my mind isn't full so much of fuck as much as it is nonchalance towards something that is supposed to be a big deal.

Death just doesn't mean much when everyone involved refuses to accept it. Her death isn't sad or tragic because it's already happened once this series and she got already got revived by a god damn magic penguin hat.

This to me feels like the get on board or get off already episode. I've made up my mind. If this is the savior of anime then I don't want to be saved. I might stick around for the ride but I wouldn't let Ikuhara protect me.

Jex

Trojita said:
Wait so Blood-C was good? You guys were making it sound like shit at the beginning of the season.
If you want to have a truly unique experience, as I quoted above:

"holy shit, what a DELIBERATELY awful show. The viewer and all of humanity are held in utter contempt."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll be frank, given what we've seen so far, MPD is no PMMM.

It's better than a lot of other stuff our there but it has its own bag of issues.

I hope by the end, everything will be explain satisfactorily, but I don't see how that is even remotely possible.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-13
The only complaint I have is that the Galactic Empire is more interesting by magnitudes over the Free Planets Alliance for me so much so that the alternating nature of the episodes is kinda jarring. You're watching awesome political backstabbing and scheming in Odin one episode and then the next, Yang laments his position yet again and we get to watch how democracy fails us all in fictionalized form.
That's just being accurate to life though. We all know the future UN will be corrupt and weak!

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
That's just being accurate to life though. We all know the future UN will be corrupt and weak!

I especially liked how, in a high council meeting
their primary motivation for declaring war was so they'd get reelected
. Heavy shit.

Instro

MotionBlue said:
Penguindrum 12

Well that was unexpected. As much as I like unpredictability, I do hate
plot twists
on top of plot twists without explanation.

What was wrong with Tabukis fingers at Mamokas funeral?

They never showed Mamoka's face, I expect her to return in the future.

Dark bunnies now? The fuck?

Himari stripping the cabbage was so moe. She still seems too instrumental, I suspect she isn't dead for sure yet. Still, it was incredibly sad.

Also suspecting Time Travel shenanigans
Well...
Tabuki is obviously Kaiji.
Them not showing Mamoka's face is totally foreshadowing her reappearing. I'm still of the mind that she is in fact that crazy stalker following Kamba around, but probably not.
Dunno what the Dark Bunnies mean
I really want to find out whether Shouma and co. are actually related or not. I'm thinking they are not atm.

Thoraxes

Instro said:
Well...
Tabuki is obviously Kaiji.
Them not showing Mamoka's face is totally foreshadowing her reappearing. I'm still of the mind that she is in fact that crazy stalker following Kamba around, but probably not.
Dunno what the Dark Bunnies mean
I really want to find out whether Shouma and co. are actually related or not. I'm thinking they are not atm.
I can't wait for crazy Shouma. I hope he doesn't hurt Ringo, but he sure as hell is going to crack soon. His smiles when Himari died and Kanba showed up were creepy as fuck.

qcf x2

zeroshiki said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-13

imagesqtbnANd9GcQx5ySZU4cB1kLZntaYo.jpg

I really wanted to get into this, but it's the only anime I can think of that is too ugly and poorly animated for me to watch. I just can't...get past it.:(

iammeiam

Blood-C finale:

LOL
blender.
. Top-tier anime moment, that. it takes a lot to completely overshadow
Saya climbing down that monster's throat to kill it, then her dad turning into a Thundercat and dying emotionally
, and some more laughable censorship.

The only thing the ending lacked was another
Saya singing segment.

Can't wait for the movie, which I assume is going to be
Saya Saves Tokyo

Jex

Hitokage said:
Mad Bull 34 1-4

This show is what happens when you sit in a room and write adolescent fantasies without any regard for how any of society's institutions work. Why research police work, legal proceedings, journalism, or even believable physics when you can make tits bounce and shit blow up.
Yes, but what about pointlessly over-complicated schemes for killing folk? That must have taken some work!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
qcf x2 said:
I really wanted to get into this, but it's the only anime I can think of that is too ugly and poorly animated for me to watch. I just can't...get past it.:(

How dare you find something that was made starting back in the 1980s and looks like it, and not really in a good way, to be kinda ugly. Trust me though you don't want to go down that road. Some people get really offended.

LOGH isn't exactly a looker. But it's still one of the greatest anime ever made bar none. Give it another shot, I can't see how anybody wouldn't like it. Although it's really not designed to be a series that you would marathon, can definitely see how it would get stale like that.

zeroshiki

qcf x2 said:

Wut? There are tons of uglier anime. And this is a show that's totally worth it to throw away superficial complaints like art and animation. Its old but its still good.

And if it means that much to you, the DVD version supposedly cleaned some stuff up. There's noticeably less blurring at least.

Jex

zeroshiki said:
I especially liked how, in a high council meeting
their primary motivation for declaring war was so they'd get reelected
. Heavy shit.
I know right. It's pretty funny when compared to Gundam 'politics'.

qcf x2

I mean, Gunbuster is one of my favorite series ever and that was made before LoGH. Of course, it was a prime-era Gainax production that was also (more importantly) a 6 episode OVA, so it's probably not so comparable. I don't have an issue with most oldish anime, but LoGH and Hokuto no Ken just assaulted my eyes.

I will give it another shot, though. I love me some space animu, and I've never heard anything but praise for the series.

zeroshiki

qcf x2 said:
I mean, Gunbuster is one of my favorite series ever and that was made before LoGH. Of course, it was a prime-era Gainax production that was also (more importantly) a 6 episode OVA, so it's probably not so comparable. I don't have an issue with most oldish anime, but LoGH and Hokuto no Ken just assaulted my eyes.

I will give it another shot, though. I love me some space animu, and I've never heard anything but praise for the series.

Its political maneuverings rival that of Ice and Fire. It is awesome.

LordCanti

Penguin 12:

Oh my GOD! I don't even know what to say. Anime saved again, no thanks to Saya.

There is so much underneath the surface in this episode. The father that uses the singular "boy" and not "boys" (is Shouma a blood relation to Himari, or is Kanba?), the red line that separated Ringo from Shouma, the weird double take on their father (does he have an evil twin?)...

I can't even process it all right now.

Oh, and Sanetoshi is Momoka? Maybe? Same hair color? My mind is truly full of fuck right now.

Also, Shouma seemed to think they were twins, didn't he? Clearly that isn't true now. Did they adopt Kanba in case their second child was a girl (because they needed a male child for the survival strategy?). MY MIND HURTS

....Just saw the ending bit. Is that Jury-Senpai's plan to win Kanba's heart? Give him the whole diary? How...AAAGGHHH

I realized something else.... Himari is their younger sister...and the incident happened 16 years ago (on the day one of the brothers was born). In that case, their parents must have lived for years without getting caught afterwards, because we've seen scenes of the entire family together when Himari was a little older.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I have returned. And LOGH is a masterpiece.

Anything that came out over the past 6 months worth watching? I'm really hyped for Guilty Crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom