• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Aigis said:
Then they should have done that.

Oh, that's a completely reasonable justification.

Wait no it isn't..

I never said it was a justifiable reason, but I'd rather have them leave it as is then change it around. They can get it all done in one extended episode, and did. That beats basically rewriting chunks of the early novel. We've had enough terrible adaptions* of Nasu's work that deviated from the original source material. :\

(*See: All of Tsukihime, Caster arc and various parts of the Fate anime.)

Jex

Reknoc said:
Hunter x Hunter 1

The ending song is awful, it switches between autotune crap and shouting. Still it has Hisoka and his blinding light.
To be fair, the OP is trash too!

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Marrshu said:
The other option, besides reorganizing so much the plot, would be to skimp on anything non-essential like DEEN did for the UBW. The end results is a visual treat but a mess for anyone who hasn't read the novel.[/URL]

Yeah I dunno about that.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Marrshu said:
I never said it was a justifiable reason, but I'd rather have them leave it as is then change it around. They can get it all done in one extended episode, and did. That beats basically rewriting chunks of the early novel. We've had enough terrible adaptions* of Nasu's work that deviated from the original source material. :\

(*See: All of Tsukihime, Caster arc and various parts of the Fate anime.)
Well following terrible source material and sticking to every single word isn't working very well here either.

Sophia

Aigis said:
Well following terrible source material that sticks to every single word isn't working very well here either.

Working just fine for the rest of the internet. Only AnimeGAF and about half of 4chan seem to have a problem with it. =p

Jex

Marrshu said:
Again, there's no way to adapt that without completely changing the first third of Fate/Zero around. Better that they got it out of the way now than rewrite the entire story over it. =p
That doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, it's supposed to be an adaptation, not a literal recreation. There's no excuse for that amount of wordiness.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Marrshu said:
Working just fine for the rest of the internet. Only AnimeGAF and about half of 4chan seem to have a problem with it. =p
I don't really have a problem with it. Pretty much looked like it was just setting things up, but it could have used a bit of spicing up when referring to past events with some quick cuts to stuff while they are talking in stuff. Then again I read FS/N about twice already and expected some wordiness.

Sophia

Jexhius said:
That doesn't make much sense to me. I mean, it's supposed to be an adaptation, not a literal recreation. There's no excuse for that amount of wordiness.

There isn't really anywhere else to put it without readjusting the timeline. They actually removed a bit of wordiness from the original by adding parts of Act 1 in, as well as a few additional scenes (Off the top of my head... the worm scene with Sakura was never directly seen in the original novel, just told about.)

trejo

Marrshu said:
The rest of the internet likes a whole lotta stuff. I don't know if we really wanna be conflating with that lot.

Marrshu said:
(Off the top of my head... the worm scene with Sakura was never directly seen in the original novel, just told about.)
Bless their hearts. Good thing they're adding the stuff we really wanted to see.

Sophia

trejo said:
The rest of the internet likes a whole lotta stuff. I don't know if we really wanna be conflating with that lot.

AnimeGAF seems incredibly cynical. Around the rest of the communities I visit, most people seem to be rejoicing at how good this season looks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Being cynical is a good thing, it just means you appreciate things more when they are actually good.

Sophia

Steroyd

C3 - 01

That was impressively shit.

It felt like the first three episodes of the worse sudden magical girlfriend harem anime you could think of condensed into one episode while passively explaining the world assuming I already knew this shit, the warning bells should have rang when there was a naked loli scene within 2 minutes, panty shots galore... and was that ass cheek blush? lolwut and how many tropes could you fit into the glasses wearing twin braided big breasted childhood friend from next door, jesus christ.

Jex

Marrshu said:
Appealing to what the internet, is general, thinks about anime is always a bad idea. Even when they are correct.

zeroshiki

Steroyd said:
C3 - 01

That was impressively shit.

It felt like the first three episodes of the worse sudden magical girlfriend harem anime you could think of condensed into one episode while passively explaining the world assuming I already knew this shit, the warning bells should have rang when there was a naked loli scene within 2 minutes, panty shots galore... and was that ass cheek blush lolwut and how many tropes could you fit into the glasses wearing twin braided big breasted childhood friend from next door, jesus christ.

Was she tsundere or motherly?

cajunator

Banned
I'm back home from work!
Instant happiness returns.
I think I really might enjoy masochism, seeing as I have worked here 10 years.
I definitely like to punish myself.

Jexhius said:
Have you perhaps considered the possibility that this season cannot be saved?

Why? We have Squid Girl, so this season is already better than all non-Squid Girl season

vg9Ie.gif

-Minsc-

hosannainexcelsis said:
Gintama 58

v0TZp.png

Shit just got real.
Elizabeth says it best.

Gets_real.png

icarus-daedelus said:
Gintama 1-2
-"Don't write Kintama by accident, because that means testicles." How helpful! I liked it a lot, and it's so self-referentially jokey and charming it's hard to really criticize. The art/animation aspect is not great but it's a shounen and they're pretty ugly. I could get used to 200+ episodes of this.

I liked how they troll the audience within the first two minutes. You think there's going to be a heroic display of swordsmanship? Nope, he runs away. Set in historical Japan? Yes, except for the modern day power lines. OK, it's historical mixed with modern day. Then it's "Aliens and flying cars, WTH?"

Now that you have the fist two filler episodes out of the way, it's onward to the real start of the series.

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Bakatest 2
I will finish the last couple of episodes anyway, however.
Mwahaha, have fun with the worst ending this side of Mayo Chiki then because Baka Test's got it.
A Black Falcon said:
I thought that was you.
Eh, every once in a while I make a mistake.[/quote] <-See?

Mayo Chiki
A Black Falcon said:
Well, first, she beats him up every morning in order to wake him up. That isn't exactly normal.
Yadda, yadda, this is a stupid anime, everyone has an idiotic character trait and this crappy physical comedy shit seems to be high on the list of anime-usable-centric character traits to bestow on people. Also, it's almost the opposite of the anime-usable-centric character trait that shows romantic interests which usually amounts to copious amounts of blushing followed by immediately withdrawing ending in the general avoidance of any further physical contact. As you can see she doesn't exhibit that shitty trope. Of course they might actually not use one of the tropes which would be amazing restraint for something so poorly written and by the numbers but as you can see, using anime logic in its purest form she doesn't want to bone her brother.
A Black Falcon said:
Second, we know she has trauma because of their parents' deaths from when he got sick and she completely lost it.
Well before I begin I should correct you, they only lost their father, their mother is still very much alive and seemingly traveling the world competing in wrestling matches or something stupid. Moving on it should be stated that sure there's undoubtedly some trauma there, as would be normal, it does not necessarily have to manifest with her wanting her brother's dick. We can presume she didn't want her father's dick and so even if she has now made him take her father's place after his death we should assume that there's no dickings involved nor wanted.
A Black Falcon said:
And third, yes, that birthday episode. She seriously got depressed when he didn't get her a present, much more so than would be normal...
Was it? For all intents and purposes he is the only family member she has, the mother out and about doing what the fuck ever doesn't really count if she can't be bothered to show up for birthdays, school enrollment and shit like that, so would her reaction not be in line for someone who's essentially entire family forgot her birthday?
A Black Falcon said:
No, she clearly has strong feelings for him, of some kind. So far the show hasn't shown them to be romantic, so far only familial, but given the genre I can't be sure it'll stay that way, if the series continues / in the source material I mean.
Well of course she has strong feelings for him, they're like the only family she has, probably the closest thing she has to a father figure and has probably been raising her more or less alone for the last couple of years, and reading anything further into that for no reason but because it's anime, which honestly does always leave open the possibility of incest, is stupid. Honestly, she might be jealous if he starts spending more time with someone else, maybe she doesn't want him taken away but that's only because she has no one else and it doesn't make clear what feelings she has for him.

Oh also, if you're going to watch these shows that have the possibility of this shit why the fuck not
Usage Drop
? Why are you still faulting it for what could happen versus this shit?
Unknown Soldier said:
Hurrdurr-Pinguindrum is very straightforward in direction and technique. It's nothing like Bakamono. Hurrdurr is pretty damn entertaining too, I don't give a shit about Ikuhara's dick and I can still enjoy it purely at the level of entertainment without trying to read a bunch of metaphorical nonsense into it.
Err, so was Bakemonogatari, it was actually a hell of a lot more straight forward actually. At this point three or four arcs had already been completed for Christ's sake.

So, I don't really see where any of this "metaphorical nonsense" of yours comes from. Granted, Bake doesn't need to be read that deep because shit is both happening and getting resolved, but I don't even see what the hell there is to enjoy about MPD without trying to read between the lines because well up to episode 7 essentially nothing had been resolved, so unless you like Ikuhara's dick what is there to like about MPD?

Go_Ly_Dow

Blood-C Finale

Oh. My. God.

21ozeqs.gif

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!

That was one of the most trolling shows I've seen and likely to ever see.

The action sequences were orgasmic. Can't believe what I just witnessed.

Fumito's role was always a big give away, but everything else just destroyed my mind.

This reached School Days tier of trolling and I feel like I've just been School Dazed.

I need to go ly dow,

Steroyd

I can't believe there's a mAcOdIn x ABF back and forth wall of text about incest in a show that has absolutely no signs of incest at all.

Infact didn't ABF watch the whole of Onii-chan no Kocho(?) a show centred around incest, surely you'd be able to tell the difference by now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Via ANN

The anime department of the retailer HMV reported on Sunday that production on a second season of the Dog Days anime was announced earlier in the day at the Dog Days Special Promotion -Furonya Matsuri 2011- event in Tokyo.

God dammit. I never asked for this.

It's also nice that more people are getting to experience the phenomenon that is Blood-C.

cajunator

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Via ANN

The anime department of the retailer HMV reported on Sunday that production on a second season of the Dog Days anime was announced earlier in the day at the Dog Days Special Promotion -Furonya Matsuri 2011- event in Tokyo.

It's also nice that more people are getting to experience the phenomenon that is Blood-C.
I did! I did!

BluWacky

mAcOdIn said:
So, I don't really see where any of this "metaphorical nonsense" of yours comes from. Granted, Bake doesn't need to be read that deep because shit is both happening and getting resolved, but I don't even see what the hell there is to enjoy about MPD without trying to read between the lines because well up to episode 7 essentially nothing had been resolved, so unless you like Ikuhara's dick what is there to like about MPD?

I don't understand why you have this desire for things to be "resolved" less than 30% of the way through the show. What is it you want "resolved"? Surely the hook of a show like this is that you don't know what's going on or why, and you keep watching to find out? Do you prefer short storytelling arcs to a long game like MPD is playing?

Part of the joy of Penguin Drum, beyond its obvious technical and "artistic" (i.e. background art, moments of animation, storyboarding etc.) excellence, is that not only does the show dripfeed mysteries but it also dripfeeds answers. I would guess that you're not the kind of viewer who likes to be tantalised with answers in the future, but that's one of the main reasons I keep watching the show - to see what answers or otherwise the next episodes will bring.

I mean, episode 7 is a bad example in that it is quite "fillery" on the Ringo subplot. But what about episode 6? You learn
that Natsume has a penguin; Kanba learns about the memory slingshot; more is revealed about Momoka and the diary, and how it affects Ringo.
Yes, they raise more questions, but they are also "answers" in that the characters are discovering things that we may have guessed or already worked out, and this is driving the plot further forward.

Defuser

darkside31337 said:
Via ANN

mmmmmnnn....more Leon Michelle. Anyway that ending was a guaranteed confirmation for a second season.

PdotMichael said:
Dogs in human form, that's insane and absurd
Just think as nekomimi but it's a dog/fox.etc ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom