• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

DiscoShark said:
HunterxHunter 2011 - 01 : Not even past the OP, hate the way they drew the eyes, series dropped. I'll stick to the original.

lol
I too hated the way they drew kurpika and killua's eyes but that a minor nitpick

Droping a show for that lol

I don't know what the fuck happed with the music selection for the op and especially the ed.

New ED

Here the end songs of the old one

ED 1

ED 2

ED3

ED4

PdotMichael said:
better this than that

lol Why u mad?

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Her army of body-pillow supporters will no doubt see her through, ugh.
Like any other political contest, matches are mostly decided by the vain, fickle, and shallow delusions of the independent voter.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Hanasuka Iroha Final

I enjoyed it overall, not sure about the ending though. I guess it leaves the possibilty of a sequel about the reopening of the hotel.

Fate/Zero

Thats alot of expostion. Hopefully things can move a bit quicker from now on.

Dog Days 2 Announced

More action, less non action and it will be fine.

Blader

Jexhius said:
That finale was so good I refuse to believe Tomino had any hand in it.

I have a hard time believing Tomino had a hand in any of the series. A well-written, likeable cast of characters (including women! likeable, three-dimensional women! written by Tomino!) whose relationships and developments actually make sense? None of it adds up.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
Hanasaku Iroha 26: A fitting if bland ending.
Hanasaku Iroha fin: Momhana was the peak of this show. 8/10
I wouldn't call it bland. Bland would be ending it in the contrived 'anime' fashion that everyone, myself included, thought was going to happen. They actually stepped away from that, which was somewhat impressive.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
I have a hard time believing Tomino had a hand in any of the series. A well-written, likeable cast of characters (including women! likeable, three-dimensional women! written by Tomino!) whose relationships and developments actually make sense? None of it adds up.
Well, it shines through at certain times. Like, you'll see a scene that's one minute long, then a scene that's 5 seconds long, then a scene that's three minutes long. That's Tomino pacing.

Or you'll have about six different factions turn up at one place and have a crazy brawl with lots of shouting.

Or something really wacky will happen like
people trying to get back to Earth from space inside barrels

But it's certainly far superior to everything else he's done, in my opinion. Must have had some good talent working with him/against him to make that happen.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Can democracy be moe?
Of course
JI6aR.jpg

Ryuuga

Banned
I really don't understand all the hate for Fate/Zero around here. After watching it part way I had the most relaxing rest I've had all week.

Blader

Jexhius said:
Well, it shines through at certain times. Like, you'll see a scene that's one minute long, then a scene that's 5 seconds long, then a scene that's three minutes long. That's Tomino pacing.

Or you'll have about six different factions turn up at one place and have a crazy brawl with lots of shouting.

Or something really wacky will happen like
people trying to get back to Earth from space inside barrels

But it's certainly far superior to everything else he's done, in my opinion. Must have had some good talent working with him/against him to make that happen.

I actually really liked how that was done here,
all sides rallying together and against the Turns from reviving the Dark History.
Cheesy, sure, but it works here I think.

duckroll

Branduil said:
I have a dream, that one day anime girls will be judged not by the magnitude of their moe but by the content of their character.

Sounds like Saya is going to be protecting you soon.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
I actually really liked how that was done here,
all sides rallying together and against the Turns from reviving the Dark History.
Cheesy, sure, but it works here I think.
It's all part of the shows magic. Just like how Tomino managed to make an ending where
characters stories being tied up does not = everyone dying. Even Harry, as the requisite Char clone, gets a happy ending.

Geneijin

Marrshu said:
Sadly, Nasu and Gen crammed all the essential information right at the start. It's very front loaded, for better or worse. You could move it elsewhere, but you'd have to reorganize the whole prologue and a good chunk of Act 1 to do so. It was probably easier for everyone involved just to get all that info out in the open in a single episode.

The other option, besides reorganizing so much the plot, would be to skimp on anything non-essential like DEEN did for the UBW. The end results is a visual treat but a mess for anyone who hasn't read the novel.
Even if you were familiar with F/SN or something equivalent, it was a terrible movie for both the fans and new viewers when it became nothing but an animated showpiece for the fanbase, which even then, I wouldn't call anything like a visual treat either.

Go_Ly_Dow

Grrr, I have no idea how to get in to the IRC.

Using MIRC.

-I've registered my nick.

-Entered the confirm code received in my email.

-Identified myself with this code (obviously replacing password): /Msg NickServ IDENTIFY Password

Now I get this message and nothing is happening.

* M_Night sets mode: +r
-
-NickServ- Password accepted - you are now recognized.

Edit: Wait, I'm in!

Jex

Branduil said:
I have a dream, that one day anime girls will be judged not by the magnitude of their moe but by the content of their character.
Get your nonsense out of here.

Really, I don't care that much about the fanbase. I'm more interested in the quality of the works.

Ezalc

Jexhius said:
Get your nonsense out of here.

Really, I don't care that much about the fanbase. I'm more interested in the quality of the works.

How dare you speak that way about King-kun. His speech is legendary!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
MariMite Live Action: Yeah, it's as cheap as zero said it would be. They used all natural lighting for the entire film... and I guess Japan is cloudy as shit, because most of the movie seems to take place in the dark.

I suppose it was fun to see live action versions of the MariMite characters, although without the heightened reality of anime voice acting, everything seemed a lot more amateurish than it should have been. But, there's not much else to say... it's a close adaptation of the first arc of the anime/first book, and is more functional than anything else. Anime Yumi > Live Action Yumi by a long shot though.

I will say, it is funny to watch boob-grabbing/yuri trolling in 3D, since it makes absolutely no sense in real life:
C2I4Al.jpg

9GmbSl.jpg

I'm glad I was finally able to knock this out one though. Still hoping for a final season of the animu. :(

Jex

[Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 1-3]

Can you make a good harem show?

So far this old (and once very popular) show is answering a question I've never bothered asking: can you make a good harem show? Well, it turns out you can. However, I don't think the way this show has done that so far is really repeatable.

A number of things stand out about this show. Firstly, the setting, which is a mish-mash of contemporary, fantastical and sci-fi. A fun mix, if pulled off well by a competent team, alternatively it could be a big mess if you did it poorly. So far they've managed to make it work by keeping these particular set-pieces (the shrine, the temple, the spaceship) fairly isolated from each other.

Having this variety of settings means the writers have a lot of freedom in terms of actually throwing out scenarios for the characters, rather than just the usual highschool crap. On top of that, the art and animation is pretty good, which I would expect from an OVA, but it's still unusual to see it at work in a harem piece. I'm not used to seeing gratuitous and enjoyable space action in any work these days, actually.

The characters and writing aren't amazing or anything, but neither are they terrible. They all seem to work out fairly well and that's more than I can say for most shows. It seems that they just had the ill-fate of all being re-written into every harem work ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom