• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Fate/Zero 1

I am firmly entrenched in the duckroll camp on this one.

Lets start with the negatives.

Minimal animation in the first half of the episode. Some really questionable decisions during scenes like the Circle Scene where it's two dudes walking around another dude in a circle for literally no reason at all. And then there's a scene involving a hug where they decide to pan the camera out on the giant building instead of focusing on the characters themselves. Yeah I don't know.

It's also a giant info dump. Exposition for about the first 35 minutes or so till something "happens". But it's fine with me, the whole thing is basically setting up the story for people who don't know what's going on. What's odd to me are the Type-Moon fans who enjoyed it, the first 35 minutes or so should be an utter bore for these people as it's literally just drilling information into your head (over and over I might add) that you are intimately familiar with. As somebody who is only familiar with Fate/Stay Night and experienced it years ago it's a nice refresher.

But there are some really good positives as well.

The characters and their designs are really refreshing. There is no obnoxious bratty teenager punk as the lead as was the case in F/SN. In fact nearly the entire cast presented so far are basically adults with the exception of
LOLIS. Rin and Sakura <3.

The story and its premise is actually interesting. I already feel a stronger connection to the story and what it's all about in 45 minutes of Fate/Zero then I did for the entirety of Fate/Stay Night. Maybe it's the fact they keep drilling it into your head but it really feels like there's something truly grand in play, which was never really the case with F/SN. The soundtrack really was top-notch in this episode, it helped deflect the poor animation by adding emotion into otherwise literally lifeless scenes.

No this episode was not perfect. Nor did it have OVA quality which I've seen people bizarrely tagging this with. But the episode established to me a promising premise with some nice characters and a world I might actually have some interest in. I am looking forward to checking out more of this series although it certainly is not going to be everybody's cup of tea.

duckroll

I have a few questions:

- Wtf is Sword Art Online?
- Wtf is Accel World?
- Was the ending to Blue Exorcist any good? Dresden?

Instro

cajunator said:
I did! I did!
NRm9A.gif

Steroyd

duckroll said:
Are you laughing or crying? I can't tell!

Let's just assume he's crying of laughter.

RurouniZel said:

Well there you go.

Fate Stay Night 1 - 11

So basically Shirou has the Mewtwo of summons but doesn't want her to lose any HP because she's a girl, meanwhile Saber is stuck in waifu status for a good 8-9 episodes, and only really gets used in episode 11, good grief.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Steroyd said:
Well there you go.

This is seriously the first show I've ever watched where I found myself laughing when people died. I mean, I just wanted to see how far they would go with the brutality, and then the end, oh GOD the end sequence! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

darkside31337 said:
So Squid Girls are okay? But Dog Girls aren't? Hypocrite!

Dogs are cuter than Squids.

She is not a Squid Girl because to sell body pillows but to teach us about environmental protection!

And Squids are cuter and tasty!

But Squid girl is terrible.

Inky Junior, you are not supposed to have an opinion!

Joule

duckroll said:
- Wtf is Sword Art Online?
Another light novel getting an anime? What a shocker. From what I've read of it, the most off putting thing was that the skills/techniques for were called Sword Arts even when you're not using a sword. The writing seemed typical light novel fair. People get trapped in a mmo where death in game is death in real life and they have to clear a final boss on the top floor to get out.

Oh wow it's getting a game too?

---

Dog Days 2. I never asked for this but I guess I'm on board.

jman2050

Ezalc said:
But Squid girl is terrible.

Nope

Marrshu said:
Sadly, Nasu and Gen crammed all the essential information right at the start. It's very front loaded, for better or worse. You could move it elsewhere, but you'd have to reorganize the whole prologue and a good chunk of Act 1 to do so. It was probably easier for everyone involved just to get all that info out in the open in a single episode.

The other option, besides reorganizing so much the plot, would be to skimp on anything non-essential like DEEN did for the UBW. The end results is a visual treat but a mess for anyone who hasn't read the novel.[/URL]

It's not even about the huge infodump, cause I can see why that would be necessary. There are methods of pacing the release of information to when it's relevant that they presumably could have used, but even if ufotable just wanted to get it out of the way wholesale, well, I'll let someone else do the talking for me on this:

some Internet TM nut said:
Just because it’s an information dump doesn’t mean that it needs to be as visually engaging as watching paint dry. For example, as you explain the Holy Grail War, show examples of Servants and Masters fighting, don’t just linger on some completely bland, not to mention unrelated, distance shot of a station for upwards of a minute.

As I said, I hope this is just a one-off thing cause as darkside and duckroll already detailed, this show has some very positive things going for it. I think the biggest problem for me is a personal one, cause when I'm being told stuff I already know (which was the case for 80% of this episode) it's boring for me. We'll see what happens from here. Maybe the first episode is an aberration, wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Jex

Master Milk said:
I wasn't planning to, but I guess I'll watch Horizon based on all the reactions I'm seeing to it.
It's no Blood-C, that's for sure. Such terrible character designs.

Steroyd

Ao no exorcist - END

I'm gonna miss mameshiba.

By anime standards: Ending was ass.

By shounen standards: Ending was cliche'd as fuck.

C^3

Loli in a box. 6 minutes in before the first boob related joke, lots of panty shots. Animation quality was all over the place, but had several very pretty scenes. Story was barely hinted at, so I'll give it another episode before deciding to continue the series. This might be this seasons Mayo Chiki.

Dantalian no SHoka 12(END?)
ZOMBIES. What an ending, so much revealed, so many questions. Visually and emotionally stunning. This episode is some of Gainax best work. I hope this gets a second season!
The three biblioprincess keepers meet. Shit goes crazy. Huey is mortally wounded, and attempts to forcibly free the Librarian within Dalian. We're given a brief glimpse at Dalians life-- she is immortal, and was partners with other historically important peple like Jeanne d'arc -- her librarian once a real person with strong imagery of her being Pandora(as in Pandora's Box was the first Phantom Book). The lake in the Library is formed be the librarians tears, and the whole place begins to fall apart when Huey tries to release her.

Huey dies, but is revived using a new phantom book. The phantom book created by his own life. Dalian and the Librarian are 2 sides of the same coin. And so much more.

The novels really, really need to be translated. I hope the anime helps this happen.

darkside31337 said:
Via ANN

The anime department of the retailer HMV reported on Sunday that production on a second season of the Dog Days anime was announced earlier in the day at the Dog Days Special Promotion -Furonya Matsuri 2011- event in Tokyo.

God dammit. I never asked for this.

It's also nice that more people are getting to experience the phenomenon that is Blood-C.

YES!

PdotMichael said:
5vvW9.gif

dogs are dogs are dogs

Dog-girls>fox-girls>wolf-girls>bunny-girls>any other kemomimi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cat-girls

Articalys

E3
1st 175 Ayumi Takahara @ The World God Only Knows
2nd 170 Honne Nohotoke @ Infinite Stratos
3rd 149 Yukikaze Panettone @ Dog Days

F3
1st 230 Yuuko @ A Channel
2nd 193 Nano Shinonome @ Nichijou
3rd 67 Nori @ Hidamari Sketch
Today is the day you get to try and cut shit down.

-Minsc-

cosmicblizzard said:
Dog-girls>fox-girls>wolf-girls>bunny-girls>any other kemomimi>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cat-girls
Humans squash that list.

cosmicblizzard said:

squid girl > country girls > weapon girls > modern philosophy girls > building girls > your list

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lain said:
Someone is going to cry over the results.

I hope Ohana cuts the competition down. She even looks ultra cute in the chosen picture.

I have already accepted that Japan is miserable. I ain't even mad that Nano lost. Japan doesn't deserve that kind of moe greatness.

cajunator

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
YES!

no. Cat girls > all.
Since you are known for bad opinions I'll let this one slide.

Dresden

Bro Exorcist - 25

just rambling:

It was a mostly satisfying conclusion, while leaving things open for a second season (which seems likely after the movie's release). It was still silly - [end spoiler]
two brothers holding hands to turn into a flaming bird in order to fight a giant Satanic UFO that's bombing the town can't help but be silly
- and the Gehenna Gate and all things Gehenna-related will always look terrible due to how horrible the cg for them are, but otherwise, I liked it. It's a very shonen end, I suppose, how
everyone gathers together and BROS UP and blows shit up to save mankind
, but hey, it's a shonen show.

Some small complaints would include stuff like how some characters that seemed significant were reduced to the status of minor observers instead, and the lack of a payoff for certain characters, but

Also, Summer truly was the season for MILFs.

nVqH7.jpg

Jex

[Gintama 46]

This show really is solid gold. It's just...really good at what it does. It's character baaed comedy with good writing and actually funny sequences, there's not much more I want in a show of this type.
DiscoShark said:
HunterxHunter 2011 - 01 : Not even past the OP, hate the way they drew the eyes, series dropped. I'll stick to the original.
Someone is quick on the gun.

iammeiam

Wound up marathoning the second half of Code Geass season 1. I'd agree that Lelouch is pretty much a horrible man, but I'm treating him sort of like Light in Death Note and just rooting against him.

Episode 22 really is pretty amazing, what with it
seeming to be heading towards Euphy's death (totally though the nice Prince was going to have her assassinated as proof you can never trust the 11s), only to have that wind up being sort of an afterthought to Lelouch accidentally making her go genocidal.
The finale really does hammer home what a total
douche Lelouch is. "Lalala, liberating Japan. Trust me, I'll lead you to victo--wait, sister's kidnapped, fuck you guys, I'm out."

Still hasn't reached Blood-C levels of trolling yet, but I have high hopes for R2.

Blue Exorcist 25

It was a decent ending. Im going to miss Wired Life. The action including
bringing the sunlight from the Vatican to Japan and the team up of the brothers
was entertaining. I wouldnt mind a season two however, they would need someway to revert back to characters pre episode 14 mindsets. It was a good anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom