• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obsessed said:
Just finished episode 9 of Penguindrum... did anything even happen that episode besides getting a ton of backstory on Mary Sue (aka the most boring character in the show)?

Episode 9 of Penguin Drum shows
the catalyst for the entire plot.

Defuser

PdotMichael said:
2 days till Squid Girl
5 days till Penguindrum

I hate it, that's the main reason why I like old animes. You can watch a show without interruptions!
I prefer to watch on a weekly basis ,helps me get through after a nice hard day of work if you have many shows to keep track on.

Gintama 220

It never ceases to amaze me how much this show tries to top itself in the naughty department. Definitely wasn't expecting a dude to get tangled in the saggy testicles of an old alien guy when starting the series.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
ARJUNA 12

wherein shit goes down. to summarize,
strawberry jelly eats the city, or rather, eats anything made of petrochemicals, which is like everything apparently, and then gets in the water & food and stops all electricity. somehow. said strawberry jelly was invented by Tokio's (Juna's BF) dad. so really humans are responsible for their own demise AS ALWAYS. now, according to the morals presented to us thus far, this is clearly a good thing, because the jelly is eating the evils of modernity, but the show wants us to feel bad about it because 1) the good guys (SEED, lol) collude with the US government to quarantine JPN (to save the rest of humanity) and Juna gets all mad as if it weren't a good idea (but it is) and 2) sad music plays while idiot kids are poisoned for drinking water which is clearly marked "DON'T DRINK THIS FUCKING WATER". then Juna gets a snazzy purple outfit and a..um..mech of some sort, with which she will do great things.

or, i really have no clue? idk.

[im]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12.jpg[/img]

Well, if you say so, Jesus Chris.

[im]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12-2.jpg[/img]

OH SHIT I'M ALLERGIC TO STRAWBERRY

[im]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12-3.jpg[/img]

Earth needs saving, bitches. We don't have time to evacuate your ass. You made your own petrochemical toxin bed, now sleep in it!

[im]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12-4.jpg[/img]

SINBURGERS~ I wonder how many cows died to make this ad~

[im]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12-5.jpg[/img]

I honestly don't think there's anything physically wrong with his eyes; I think he just realized he's on this show and therefore permanently scrunched his eyebrow into a suitable what the fuck? expression.

[imhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12-7.jpg[/img]

Oh you just shut the fuck up already aljalsdkfjlakdfjlakfdu

[IM]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/arjuna12-8.jpg[/IMG]

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM...

[im]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/captain%20planet.jpg[/img]

CAPUTAN PURANETO
The ending really does a great job of bringing all the themes of the show to their logical conclusion. I think you'll love the ending as much as I did.

Instro

Obsessed said:
Just finished episode 9 of Penguindrum... did anything even happen that episode besides getting a ton of backstory on Mary Sue (aka the most boring character in the show)?

I like how the plot is thickening though.
Boo this man.

Now having said that, there's a lot more to this episode than just backstory for Himari. Very important episode plot wise,
introducing Sanetoshi who is clearly instrumental in the events surrounding this show, and it connects to some other plot elements featured earlier in the show, as well as some that have since happened. Also possibly hints at the kids not actually being related.

Branduil

Obsessed said:

I like how the plot is thickening though.
I'm not sure you know what Mary Sue means.

Phi Brain 1
tumblr_lsgt4bw2g71r1n119o2_250.gif

Kaito and Nonaha make a good team already. The puzzles beat my expectations in making it something lifesize and threatening. The motive of Kaito was kind of funny. Opening song is great, ending song is great, background OST is nice, the track when he got serious to solve a puzzle was my favorite. I think thus far my favorite of the season apart from Bakuman 2.

Now on to C3...

klee123

Wow, reading these threads just made me realize that a lot of anime fans nowadays are just a bunch of cynical people.

Seriously, if a lot of you all hate the current shows that much, why even make posts about it? "Self hating nerds" seems about right.

duckroll

klee123 said:
Wow, reading these threads just made me realize that a lot of anime fans nowadays are just a bunch of cynical people.

Seriously, if a lot of you all hate the current shows that much, why even make post about it? "Self hating nerds" seems about right.

Who are you even talking to? Lol.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
klee123 said:

Seriously, if a lot of you all hate the current shows that much, why even make post about it? "Self hating nerds" seems about right.

Expressing jaded or scornful skepticism or negativity vs. Knowing what will be bad and what could be good based on a variety of criteria.

Geneijin

klee123 said:

Hate is such a strong word.

-Minsc-

survivor said:
Gintama 1-10

Awesome. This might be the only shounen anime that I will tolerate enough to be able to watch it completely and not just skip to the fight episodes or watch youtube videos of the fights like what I do with the rest.

Oh another note, the CR player is really fucking shitty. It keeps freezing on me and doesn't load which causes me to refresh the video. But then the fucking ads play. And if I have to refresh after the middle ad break I get double the ads. It's been a real pain in the ass just to watch these 10 episodes.
Congratulations starting GinTama. Just keep in mind the fight episodes are not the main focus of the show and you'll be set.

The Crunchyroll player could be better. Though I noticed it seemed to be running worse than normal today.

cosmicblizzard said:
Gintama 220

It never ceases to amaze me how much this show tries to top itself in the naughty department. Definitely wasn't expecting a dude to get tangled in the saggy testicles of an old alien guy when starting the series.
That plus more naked men than any other shounen anime. Even the "pool" episode doesn't follow the normal formula.

klee123 said:

Seriously, if a lot of you all hate the current shows that much, why even make posts about it? "Self hating nerds" seems about right.

Best to just ignore the haters and talk about what you want to talk about. Plenty of happy conversations and circle jerks go on in here.

-Minsc-

klee123 said:

Thankfully I moved on from that years ago. Basically I just talk about what I like. If someone for no particular reason takes offence to something I say, all the power to them.

Branduil

klee123 said:

But CLAMP taught me that hatred is the only true emotion.

survivor

Banned
To the people that watched Phi Brain, what kind of puzzles are we talking about? Professor Layton stuff or something totally different?

klee123 said:

but my opinion is important, or? everyone has the right to know my opinion

Geneijin

PdotMichael said:
but my opinion is important, or? everyone has the right to know my opinion
You're nothing but a self-hating nerd, and I hate reading your opinions. Your opinions are so full of scorn, I hate seeing them so don't post them at all.

Let's only be merry and embrace the moecrap.

duckroll said:
It kinda is. Unless you can hate, how do you know that you have ever really loved?!

Wow, that was deep.

Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi

Sigh. This season could have been so much more, what with a war going on and all. Instead it ended up being basically more of the same from season 1. Even the finale couldn't save this season from being way, way less than it should have been. Despite what could have been an epic overarching story, they kept on falling back on the usual tsundere hijinks until the very end.

I actually wonder about the content of the LNs, if the show is now really following the LNs then it's pretty obviously 95% tsundere and harem stuff and 5% real story type stuff. I guess I shouldn't have expected more from this after all. I can see how the second season got lower ratings than the first, because they cocktease us constantly with hints of a bigger story but then waste half the show on the usual shit.

Since I know that season 3 is incredibly pointless and doesn't even have a decent overarching story like season 2 did, I don't know if I want to go on. God, this season let me down so bad, it could have been FUCKING GODDAMN EPIC and instead it was kind of limp, even at the very end when they ruined what would have been a fantastic ending with more tsundere and harem stuff.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
[Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 1-3]

Can you make a good harem show?

So far this old (and once very popular) show is answering a question I've never bothered asking: can you make a good harem show? Well, it turns out you can. However, I don't think the way this show has done that so far is really repeatable.

A number of things stand out about this show. Firstly, the setting, which is a mish-mash of contemporary, fantastical and sci-fi. A fun mix, if pulled off well by a competent team, alternatively it could be a big mess if you did it poorly. So far they've managed to make it work by keeping these particular set-pieces (the shrine, the temple, the spaceship) fairly isolated from each other.
That's another thing it takes from Urusei Yatsura. It blends all sorts of highly japanese themes but it's used as if it were all scifi. However, beyond that conceit and root character designs Tenchi Muyo does its own thing which is why such borrowing is far better than what happened in Seto no Hanayome.

Branduil said:
I'm not sure you know what Mary Sue means.

She seems to have no flaws other than the one flaw shown in the backstory.

Instro said:
Boo this man.

Now having said that, there's a lot more to this episode than just backstory for Himari. Very important episode plot wise,
introducing Sanetoshi who is clearly instrumental in the events surrounding this show, and it connects to some other plot elements featured earlier in the show, as well as some that have since happened. Also possibly hints at the kids not actually being related.

Yeah he clearly is important. But... wait where the fuck was THAT hinted
the not related bit I mean
?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
/XX/ said:
Maybe that scheduled re-airing can attract more interest there. At least it is more probable...

I'd like to think so too, but I think most anime DVD/BD sales are front-loaded like videogames. :-/

Unknown Soldier said:
Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi

Sorry to hear, I'm still on ep 5 of S2. Hopefully S3 is better.

Geneijin said:
You're nothing but a self-hating nerd, and I hate reading your opinions. Your opinions are so full of scorn, I hate seeing them so don't post them at all.

Let's only be merry and embrace the moecrap.

the first part hurts a lot :(

my avatar is a perfect expression of my feelings

Branduil

Obsessed said:
So she has no flaws except the one extensively detailed once we got an episode focused on actually developing her character?

Obsessed said:

Most of the time we are viewing Himari from the eyes of Kanba and Shouma, for whom she does have no flaws. The only chance we get to see Himari from her own perspective is episode 9,
which shows us a very different side of her, one that is dissatisfied with her life and the blunders and missed opportunities it contained. Not only does it reveal her flaws, but it also reveals her brothers', who can only see in her an ideal image they have partially constructed for themselves instead of an actual person.

Instro

Obsessed said:

Yeah he clearly is important. But... wait where the fuck was THAT hinted
the not related bit I mean
?
The Child Broiler scene. Could be alluding to an orphanage maybe? Would also explain Kamba's attraction to her, if it's not incest.

Branduil said:
So she has no flaws except the one extensively detailed once we got an episode focused on actually developing her character?

Maybe I misinterpreted the episode but it seemed like she basically worked past that flaw.

Instro said:
The Child Broiler scene. Could be alluding to an orphanage maybe? Would also explain Kamba's attraction to her, if it's not incest.

I can't recall that scene at all.

Also watching episode 10 right now. Man the art is so poor this episode even I'm noticing it.

Gintama 61

That was an epic conclusion worthy of a JRPG final boss, plus a fitting conclusion for the character arc surrounding the swordsmith siblings, plus an exciting hook for future story arcs. Bravo. I can only imagine how much more awesome the movie must be with its expanded budget.

Obsessed said:
Maybe I misinterpreted the episode but it seemed like she basically worked past that flaw.

Carefully observe
Himari's attitude towards finding the books detailing her past - it doesn't seem like someone who has worked through all their issues.

Also watching episode 10 right now. Man the art is so poor this episode even I'm noticing it.

Fortunately it's a one-time blunder.

duckroll

Obsessed said:

I don't think you understand what the purpose of a Mary Sue is. A Mary Sue is a "perfect" character who is unrealistically perfect for the purpose of presenting a narrative on such an idealized character. There is nothing idealized or perfect about Himari. She is simply a very optimistic person who hides a lot of her concerns. There is nothing in the actual presentation or narrative which makes her life and accomplishments anything someone would want to have.

duckroll said:
I don't think you understand what the purpose of a Mary Sue is. A Mary Sue is a "perfect" character who is unrealistically perfect for the purpose of presenting a narrative on such an idealized character. There is nothing idealized or perfect about Himari. She is simply a very optimistic person who hides a lot of her concerns. There is nothing in the actual presentation or narrative which makes her life and accomplishments anything someone would want to have.

I stand corrected then.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Carefully observe
Himari's attitude towards finding the books detailing her past - it doesn't seem like someone who has worked through all their issues.

Fortunately it's a one-time blunder.

Yeah I noticed that. I just saw it as someone being reminded of how they used to be. Even if you have improved yourself nobody likes hearing about old shames.

edit:

Omg @ episode 10 ending. SO MUCH IS HAPPENING!

RurouniZel said:
Best love?

tumblr_lqgezoBTNZ1qla3y0o1_500.jpg

Heh, I remember that part. Louise's dog is really badly behaved, you know. It must take a lot of energy to constantly keep him in line like that.

Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo 1:

This must be what being a self-hating nerd feels like. Even though I know it's going to be more of the same, except with even more fanservice, I can't help myself. I've come to like these characters and I've made it this far. I might as well finish up the whole series at this point, including Zero no Tsukaima F in January. The joke goes that F is the grade that series will get, but who knows. Maybe Noboru Yamaguchi will surprise me and actually give me the epic story he's been cockteasing me with for 3 seasons now, including this first episode.

Once again, the season opens with a battle and a hint of a greater overarching story, and Louise once again
uses her Void magic
and once again I will settle in for another season of tsundere and harem shit instead of what everyone wants, which is mages fucking each other's shit up with magic. But that was never the focus of these LNs and animes to begin with in the first place. The focus is and has always been on tsundere and harem shit, and now this season even adds a bunch of pointless ecchi that was absent from the first two seasons for no good reason.

You're going the wrong way with this, J.C. Staff. And you're making me sad. The premise could have been so much more, it should have been so much more! YOU STUPID DOGS! IDIOT DOGS! PERVERT DOGS! I WANT TO PUNISH ALL OF YOU!!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What were the impressions of the Hunter x Hunter remake? I didn't realize the first episode came out already.

Trojita said:
What were the impressions of the Hunter x Hunter remake? I didn't realize the first episode came out already.

I made a thread. Bunch of impressions in there.

Been pretty hit or miss. Some people like it, some hate it. I personally thought it was fine.

flawfuls

survivor said:
To the people that watched Phi Brain, what kind of puzzles are we talking about? Professor Layton stuff or something totally different?

It was pretty standard puzzle book stuff so far like mazes and sudoku, but with ridiculous shounen goodness like puzzle sharingan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom