• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

trejo

Utena 32

Nanami is definitely one of the most developed characters in this show and this episode cements that. I'm pumped.

Instro

Phi Brain 1

Well that was pretty entertaining. There were quite a few plot points that were simply glossed over in the early going, which was odd since the episode felt a bit disjointed because of it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, Mary Sue is certainly not a good description of Himari.

One of the best examples of a Mary Sue is Wesley Crusher from Star Trek: TNG.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Would you consider Belldandy a Mary Sue? She's pretty damn perfect, albeit with occasional jealousy bouts that destroys nearby objects.

RurouniZel said:
Would you consider Belldandy a Mary Sue? She's pretty damn perfect, albeit with occasional jealousy bouts that destroys nearby objects.
It's been awhile, but wasn't Belldandy an idiot? She was also behind her other two sisters in terms of wanting them on screen at any given moment, so no, no Sue'ing it up for the goddess.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Master Milk said:
It's been awhile, but wasn't Belldandy an idiot? She was also behind her other two sisters in terms of wanting them on screen at any given moment, so no, no Sue'ing it up for the goddess.
The word for Belldandy is waifu not mary sue.

-Minsc-

Yorinuki GinTama-san (The Best of GinTama) ending 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrB9qIKP8U

I'd be all for having an anime done in something that style.

Question: Has there been any other shounen anime catch up to the manga, go on hiatus, in it's place air reruns complete with new opening and ending credits for a year, then return to new episodes?

Aad said:
Bartender

Who knew mixing drinks could be so fun.
You've made a good choice my friend.

Phi Brain 1

This is what Professor Layton would look like if it had shounen haato. Some of the scenes lingered a little too long, but otherwise it's enjoyable. The main thing it lacks are more interesting puzzles which have complex solutions that Daimon can explain in-depth, but they're sticking to the standards so far, so I won't hold my breath.

It also contains one of my favorite background gags this year:

kVvhX.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hitokage said:
And by that I mean she was presented as perfect otaku love pillow fodder. Don't worry she doesn't really have any will of her own! Go nuts!

I'm good with... oh.
Unknown Soldier said:
Hey, the new joke is typing in all caps now. That won't get old fast.

Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo ZnT3 - 2:

Things that happen in this episode:
- Saito falls onto breasts
- Louise gets mad
- Sheffield attacks Louise
- Saito saves Louise
- Louise is grateful but is too embarrassed to say it

Strangely enough, this is what happened the last episode. I wonder if it will happen in the next episode, and the next one, and the next one!

Wait, aren't you talking about last seaso... oh.

Zero no Tsukaima: Princess no Rondo ZnT3 - 2:

Things that happen in this episode:
- Saito falls onto breasts
- Louise gets mad
- Louise storms out of the room and wanders off alone
- Sheffield attacks Louise
- Saito saves Louise
- Louise is grateful but is too embarrassed to say it

Strangely enough, this is what happened the last episode. I wonder if it will happen in the next episode, and the next one, and the next one!

God, this whole series makes me get all tsun-tsun.

Takao

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
So, does anyone know why everyone in Garzey's Wing (dub) is CONSTANTLY YELLING?

If you were transported somewhere by a giant Chinner, wouldn't you be yelling too?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Unknown Soldier said:
You're just mad because you're left out. Not to worry though, because all can enjoy the splendor of Garzey's Wing.

trejo

Utena 33

AKIO YOU GODDAMNED SON OF A BITCH HOW DARE YOU!

FUCK YOUR RECAPS IKUHARA YOU HEAR ME? FUCK' EM STRAIGHT TO HELL!!

WHYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
AHHHH EPISODE 11 ENDING.

My god this show is so awesome.
That's more like it.

I don't know how anyone could not like episode 9. Or watch it and come away thinking Himari is a Mary Sue, for that matter.

On another note, oh god,
I just noticed
duckroll
's avatar. Haha

-Minsc- said:
Question: Has there been any other shounen anime catch up to the manga, go on hiatus, in it's place air reruns complete with new opening and ending credits for a year, then return to new episodes?

Don't think so. The closest would be something like Soul Eater which aired reruns and got a new OP, but no new season yet. Would have to be a Brotherhood anyway rather than a continuation since it got an original ending.

Hitokage said:
You're just mad because you're left out. Not to worry though, because all can enjoy the splendor of Garzey's Wing.

Uh...I'm good, thanks?

Look, I've got another 10 episodes to get through of Louise abusing Saito and feeling bad about it afterwards and getting saved by him and feeling too embarrassed to be grateful to him. And blushing a lot. L-L-Louise is really c-c-cute when she blushes. A-A-Anyways, these episodes aren't going to watch themselves, you know!

I'm probably going to be really sad when I finish up season 3 and realize I have to wait until January for more Louise.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
icarus-daedelus said:
Very true.

Arjuna 13 - fin - final impressions.

Well, that was a pretty good series. I learned a lot, such as pollution is bad, and that the only way to teach things is by withholding crucial information (some would call this lying, and they are sinful people) and destroying cities.

Pretty much the whole series seems to have hinged on the fact that
Chris trusted Juna to use her psychic baby powers to be able to tell that he was really a psychotic mass murderer who used city destroying mayhem caused by giant magical Earth-worms as a teaching tool. But it's cool, because cities are evil, and once they're destroyed everyone will switch to living on farms fertilized by human compost and eaten away by insects, and they'll stop taking medicines (aka poison, lulz) so that only the strong will survive, and they'll have lots of babies because overpopulation and resource strain totally has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the real environmental crises we are facing today.
Or am I misinterpreting this...? Please teach me o wise gaffu.
Haha, but why rail on real problems when you can have CANCER BACTERIA.

Also...

ITADAKIMASU

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
Very true.

Arjuna 13 - fin - final impressions.

Well, that was a pretty good series. I learned a lot, such as pollution is bad, and that the only way to teach things is by withholding crucial information (some would call this lying, and they are sinful people) and destroying cities.

Pretty much the whole series seems to have hinged on the fact that
Chris trusted Juna to use her psychic baby powers to be able to tell that he was really a psychotic mass murderer who used city destroying mayhem caused by giant magical Earth-worms as a teaching tool. But it's cool, because cities are evil, and once they're destroyed everyone will switch to living on farms fertilized by human compost and eaten away by insects, and they'll stop taking medicines (aka poison, lulz) so that only the strong will survive, and they'll have lots of babies because overpopulation and resource strain totally has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the real environmental crises we are facing today.
Or am I misinterpreting this...? Please teach me o wise gaffu.
I'm pretty sure they weren't trying to
make Chris the villain. The Raaja represent the rage of the earth and whatnot, and because Chris is so wise he understands everything is one and thus is one with the Raaja. So it's not his fault the Raaja are attacking, it's just the fault of everyone else because they polluted. They basically killed themselves because they didn't understand that EVERYTHING IS ONE.

Now, eat some delicious Raaja stew. ITADAKIMASU is the greatest final line ever, on par with Gone with the Wind.

Krev said:
That's more like it.

I don't know how anyone could not like episode 9. Or watch it and come away thinking Himari is a Mary Sue, for that matter.

On another note, oh god,
I just noticed
duckroll
's avatar. Haha

Hey hey, I've retracted my statement after being utterly schooled.

Also which one of the two guys
do you think was adopted or whatever? The father mentioned only ONE child.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Phi Brain 1

This is what Professor Layton would look like if it had shounen haato. Some of the scenes lingered a little too long, but otherwise it's enjoyable. The main thing it lacks are more interesting puzzles which have complex solutions that Daimon can explain in-depth, but they're sticking to the standards so far, so I won't hold my breath.

It also contains one of my favorite background gags this year:

http://i.imgur.com/kVvhX.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

That image makes me laugh. But I think next epside I guess he will be explaining in depth, didnt he do it to an extent this episode with the labyrinth and minotaur axe?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
Hey hey, I've retracted my statement after being utterly schooled.

Also which one of the two guys
do you think was adopted or whatever? The father mentioned only ONE child.
I think
it's Shouma, because I don't think Ikuhara would cheap out on the incest angle. Also, Kanba has a striking resemblance to his father.
I'm just hoping that there won't be the shock twist that Ringo is Shouma's sister.

survivor

Banned
Phi Brain 1

So this is what YGO would look like without the children cards game. But seriously these people obsession with puzzles is really creepy. I mean even a childhood promise made about puzzles? Come on.

trejo

Utena 34

Woah.

I knew shit was gonna get really real when
the shadow girls showed up in corporeal form

And it did.

ZnT3 -3:

Each episode is carefully planned to have exactly 3 minutes of real overarching plot cockteasing. The Evil Guy(tm) talks to his Evil Assistant(tm) about their Evil Plans(tm). The remaining time is allocated more or less evenly to Saito getting excited about breasts and Louise getting mad at Saito, and unrelated character development. Sometimes there's a fight where Saito saves Louise and she's too embarrassed to be openly grateful to him. This episode is mainly about developing Tiffania's character, since it seems she will be important to whatever story they are planning to ignore until the final episode except in 3 minute cockteases.

I think in order to enjoy these kinds of tsundere shows you have to be tsundere towards the show yourself. It's kind of weird how angry I am at the show for wasting so much of my time after I watch an episode but then I put the next episode on and I'm enthralled until it's over again, after which I get angry again until I start the next episode.

That, and I think I would like Louise to be Mai Waifu. Maybe. It seems like it would hurt a lot most of the time, you know? But she's so cute when she's blushing.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I can't wait till everyone only writes impressions using emoticons!

I take it you saw IM@S 13, then.

zeroshiki

Krev said:
I think
it's Shouma, because I don't think Ikuhara would cheap out on the incest angle. Also, Kanba has a striking resemblance to his father.
I'm just hoping that there won't be the shock twist that Ringo is Shouma's sister.

Penguin Drum spoiler/speculation:
Shouma is actually Momoka :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom