• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!! 01

That was unexpectedly enjoyable. I guess it is to much to hope for that the series will continue like this and not end up as a genirc harem show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
M_Night said:
I never knew Squid Girl was such a popular figure around these parts. I automatically wrote it off in Fall 2010 as being mindless fluff and decided to dedicate my time to quality shows such as!:
No, your assumption was correct. Squid Girl is pretty mindless. If you looked up "banal" in the dictionary it would probably have a picture of Squid Girl next to it.

Dance In My Blood said:
No, your assumption was correct. Squid Girl is pretty mindless. If you looked up "banal" in the dictionary it would probably have a picture of Squid Girl next to it.

Squid Girl is the Azumanga Daioh of our generation, so shut up!

trejo

Squid Girl 2: Electric Squidaloo 2

Nice, harmless fun. That's the whole show in a seashell and I'm fine with that.

At least it's not as squiddling banal and forgettable as Nekogami Yaoyorozu.

icarus-daedelus said:
Sadly brandy's banning means no real competition for top spot on the wall of shame this season. :(
I thought Brandy had already announced his retirement from the world of professional shameposting.

Jex

[Horzion 1]

This show has more exposition than Legend Of the Galatcic Hereos. No, really. The plot of the episode was random characters being talked at for 7 minutes, then running around. But during that whole time they managed to squeeze in exposition for stuff like firing an arrow (30 seconds worth of dialouge) and why to aim for the head.

Oh, and all the back-story of the show's world is explained in a dump all over the ending credits. No, really.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
It's cute watching Jex and Branduil try to outpost each other by catching up to the thread post by post.
I can't help it that you good folks all talk when I am asleep, and then when I'm awake I have a limited time-frame in which to post comments!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
icarus-daedelus said:
It's cute watching Jex and Branduil try to outpost each other by catching up to the thread post by post.

I feel so ashamed that I'm not even considered to be part of this competition.

Maybe I should do something about it :(

Jex

[Natsume S3 Finale Thoughts]

This is a totally okay episode, nothing special, nothing terrible. In my mind the episode took on more meaning when I decided that spirits don't actually exist, and that Natsume is actually talking to himself. The show becomes quite dark and twisted at that point.

I liked how they fixed the art and animation half way-through the season, but I don't like the way that the art and animation were bad for half a season. Hopefully the next season is a lot better in that regard, well, in other regards as well. I imagine Brains Base will have learned their lesson. (Or not).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Jexhius said:
I can't help it that you good folks all talk when I am asleep, and then when I'm awake I have a limited time-frame in which to post comments!
Limited time-frame? You post all the time.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:

Sadly brandy's banning means no real competition for top spot on the wall of shame this season. :(

I already retired from the competition anyways.

I wasn't too hot on it either. The squid puns in the crunchy subs seemed to be the main distinguishing feature.
But puns are the highest form of humor.

Bro-on 1

What the hell was up with all the random shots of cats? With all the cherry blossoms I think this'll be Firehawk's show of the season.

NeonZ

M_Night said:
I never knew Squid Girl was such a popular figure around these parts. I automatically wrote it off in Fall 2010 as being mindless fluff and decided to dedicate my time to quality shows such as!:

Squid girl is fluff, but it's pretty much harmless fluff.

Anyway, I thought the first episode of the new season stumbled around more than usual, but this second one was an improvement.

Jex

Trojita said:
Limited time-frame? You post all the time.
So it might appear to the untrained observer.
Hellsing321 said:
Bro-on 1

What the hell was up with all the random shots of cats? With all the cherry blossoms I think this'll be Firehawk's show of the season.
Girls like cats, right? I think. It's hard to think straight when anime is your only form of reference for anything.

DiGiKerot

Horizon 1 - You know, this reminds me of those episodes in US cartoons where they try to parody anime based on misconceptions and stereotypes that are 20 years out of date. Only more so.

Also, I thought it was OK.

Jexhius said:
The designs aren't particularly Yu-Gi-Oh! like though. I mean, he has shounen hair and a bracelet but outside that people look kind of normal, for an anime. In fact, the girl looks above averages in terms of character design.

I think when people say it's like Yu-Gi-Oh, they mean in tone and the fact the world may or may not revolve around what is essentially a game to the point of life or death battles. The main character even gets an object similar to Yugi's (minus the
5000 year old pharaoh living inside it.

Though I personally think the show is more like Spiral, but Yu-gi-oh is more known than that.

Reknoc

Horizon 1

I'm not entirely sure what I watched, I'm even less sure of whats going on. All the characters look like some sort of weird mmorpg rejects. I'm pretty sure this is terrible yet I still want to watch more.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Idolmaster 13: I'm actually surprised that the Miki storyline from last week actually carried over. This is exactly like what happened between Coach Taylor and Matt in the first season of FNL! Or something.

Pendrum 11-12: Because Lafiel has been bugging me to watch the show again, I caught up. There's not much to say other than I was surprised that the theme of the show really ended up being about the
forbidden. I'm assuming they used either a variant of the Prometheus myth (or an actual myth that I'm ignorant to) in order to illustrate that point considering the obvious Ringo/Apple connection.

That and the fact that the journal did, indeed, end up being the red herring was rather underwhelming as well.

Otherwise, I dunno. When you are so disengaged with the text that it becomes an academic exercise - nee, some form of "work" - character twists become much more pedantic and rote than they should be. It also has the same problem that 99% of "speculative" fiction can't seem to figure out - people explaining shit to each other for long stretches of time.

I suppose that they're out of that interminable stretch of episodes the show might pick up a little, so maybe I'll start caring again. Otherwise, I'll be back cheering on the Panthers for the next little while.

Reknoc

Squid Girl S1 3 - 4

Pun Count: 0 (or maybe the odd one or two)
The introduction of the girl who is afraid of Squid Girl actually managed to be quite funny, so there's something!

Horizon 1

I have no idea what the fuck I'm watching, and not in the good way. The character designs for this show are pretty bad as well. So far this season is turning out as bad as I thought it would.

Horizon 1

This is among the coolest kitchen sink worlds I can think of in recent memory. Really love the cast and hope they get fleshed out. They displayed some nice powers and personalities during the test thing. Smugdouche definitely did not disappoint. He barely says 3 lines and I start cracking up. Can't wait to see more of him.

Definitely a potential show of the season.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
xero273 said:
horizon 01

lol been awhile since i watched anything but wtf censors..... were they always this bad?
Pretend I'm avatar quoting you.

flawfuls

Horizon 1

As a brown guy I appreciate that this anime gives me a character that makes me feel represented.

fqO8x.png

Finally a character I can relate to.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Halycon said:
Lovecraft rolling in his grave.

I don't think that his ire would be directed towards any single example of an adaptation of his work so much as it would be directed at the general fact that a reasonably profitable cottage industry has posthumously sprung up around his literary output after he led an obscure life of extreme poverty and privation.

Unknown Soldier said:
I've heard many descriptions of the sibling relationship in OreImo but this is the first time I've heard someone claim it's realistic.
And it's the fact that he seems to actually believe things like that that tells me that he's probably being willfully ignorant and will never admit the truth before his eyes, about either OreImo or Mayo Chiki (or anything else that doesn't absolutely confirm it with sex or something like that)...

I wish I was wrong, I just don't think I am.

Steroyd said:
Kirino beat the shit out of the brother, and the brother didn't talk to her for years prior, I think that fills ABF's quota for a normal sibling relationship.
Sure, on the face of it, until the series starts that is.

cajunator said:
I think Oreimo is a result of the whole tsundere phenomenon going unchecked into dangerous territory.
Probably, yeah. I mean, I like some tsunderes, but it has gotten a bit overly common...

scy said:
Oh man, I don't know about that. I kind of expected it to go that route based off merely the fact the protagonist has a sister. It's a tried and true staple of the genre practically, though it usually gets paired with a "lol not related" at the very end to make it all alright.
So did everyone except those who try very, very hard to pretend that anime and manga don't have a giant incest fetish.
Steroyd said:
Oh god why!?
Because without arguments these threads would be boring!

That's not how a Yandere's roll. And creepy obsession? What am I reading here!?
I wasn't the one in this thread who first mentioned that she was a yandere. I forget who it was, but it wasn't me... but it definitely fits at least somewhat. She beats him up, she's fairly obsessed with him and shows it with physical violence, I'm not sure if she wants him to be with other girls...

I read stuff like this in your post, and how any of this equates to anything close to incest boggles my mind.
It's not like they completely hide it, you're just not paying attention to the signs they're showing.

No I have two sisters one i can't bloody stand, and one I'm very close to OH SNAP INCESTIOUS INTENTIONS.
Don't confuse reality with anime, the two are entirely different. I'm only mentioning what is normal in order to contrast that with anime reality, but of course in the real world siblings can be close without incest. In anime, however, that is almost never the case.

So basically the relationship between Jirou and Kureha isn't realistic therefore therefore there must be an incest underlay to it all.
In anime there usually is.

But when My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute does do a realistic sibling relationship by your own admission it's still incest.

C'mon work with me here.
I answered this one above.

Me to friend re: Fate/Zero 1
"Perhaps good tv is characters sitting still spouting boring dialogue for 15 minutes but that scene was painful. It was like here is this huge amount of text from the source material, we're too cheap to animate or you know, re-tell it in a way that suits the medium of film and not a book/vn."

Him:
"I guess different people will like different things. I'm putting it down to you not knowing enoughh about what he was saying."

Sigh. Wanted to tell him to take his awesome 20+ Saber figures and get out of my sight.

jman2050 said:
Wait hold on OreImo? Realistic?

Someone didn't just say that. That's not possible.
That he actually seriously said that should show you what the kind of mental contortions people trying to deny that show, or Mayo Chiki, don't have incest-baiting have to go through. :p

scy said:
I always thought the relationship prior to ... well, everything about the series, was pretty normal in OreImo. Perhaps not "normal" but definitely not "rare."

Then it goes into lolz territory.
Yes, as I said,
until it explains the backstory more fully that is

Steroyd said:
Index or Kirino.... I think i just vomitted a little in my mouth.
Look at the good side, it means one of the two is going to be eliminated.

Jexhius said:
Careful now, some people will think you're serious.
Is there a much better perfect Japanese wife than Belldandy, though?

That is, of course, also what makes her such an awful character...

Dresden said:
The short-episodes series was entertainingly weird, even if it's a horrible mauling of the source material, so I'll watch.

flawfuls said:
Horizon 1

As a brown guy I appreciate that this anime gives me a character that makes me feel represented.

http://i.imgur.com/fqO8x.png

Finally a character I can relate to.
Woah, that's pretty amazingly racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom