• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
survivor said:
Phi Brain

So animegaf it took the creator of this sudoku puzzle a whole day to solve it. Are you smarter?

Haha, that doesn't make any sense to begin with. You have to know the puzzle's solution to be able to create it.

Gintama 224

A suicidal blu-ray angel with a tragic past about kotatsus? Why couldn't The Ring actually be like that?

I loled at her trying to get the kotatu out of the TV and having Shinpachi yell she has to turn it sideways because I was just trying to get a treadmill out of my parents room earlier that way (I gave up).

4 episodes to go.

Articalys

survivor said:
Phi Brain

So animegaf it took the creator of this sudoku puzzle a whole day to solve it. Are you smarter?

http://i.imgur.com/QzmaSl.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Ignoring the logical paradox that hosannainexcelsis mentioned, I got it in 11 minutes 21 seconds, but I'm terrible at Sudoku. I'm sure someone else here can easily beat that time.

Actually, I guess anyone can throw a bunch of random numbers into a 9x9 grid, but there's no guarantee the result would have a unique sudoku solution, or even a proper solution at all. I haven't watched the episode, but trying to salvage something meaningful out of the original quote, you could say it took him a day to verify the random mess of numbers he made was a valid sudoku puzzle, but it doesn't make the character any more intelligent.

jman2050

survivor said:
Phi Brain

QzmaSl.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zydhrr.jpg

I didn't time myself but I'm guessing it was 10-15 minutes or so? I'm no Sudoku nut soooo...

zeroshiki

Zeouterlimits said:
Me to friend re: Fate/Zero 1
"Perhaps good tv is characters sitting still spouting boring dialogue for 15 minutes but that scene was painful. It was like here is this huge amount of text from the source material, we're too cheap to animate or you know, re-tell it in a way that suits the medium of film and not a book/vn."

Him:
"I guess different people will like different things. I'm putting it down to you not knowing enoughh about what he was saying."

Sigh. Wanted to tell him to take his awesome 20+ Saber figures and get out of my sight.

Someone was arguing this in this thread a couple days ago. "You can't understand the 1st episode because you didn't read the book!" Yeah no shit, that's why I'm watching the show.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Phi Brain 01: Well, I really liked this. Granted, there was a lot of stuff I found funny that the show was playing dead straight, but the same is true of many shows I've enjoyed like Marmalade Boy (take a drink every time Miki assumes Yuu is out with another woman!). Shonen Puzzle Action with pleasing animation and good seiyuu.

I think this will be my show of the season.

survivor

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
Haha, that doesn't make any sense to begin with. You have to know the puzzle's solution to be able to create it.
I know. I'm hoping it's a mistranslation, but I don't think this is something you can screw up in translating. I think what Articalys said is probably right. The dude probably just threw bunch of random numbers and then tried to solve it.

survivor said:
I know. I'm hoping it's a mistranslation, but I don't think this is something you can screw up in translating. I think what Articalys said is probably right. The dude probably just threw bunch of random numbers and then tried to solve it.

Or the writers didn't care to think things through and just threw some nonsense together to make Daimon look that much more badass.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Horizon 01
I don't even know what to say. It was mentioned in here that the characters feel like reject MMO characters, but they feel more like something out of a fighting game to me. This show is just ludicrous and awful in ways that seem to boisterously announce the incompetence of the writing. This single episode was probably more entertaining than it had any right to be, but without any logical structure in place for the story I can only imagine that watching any more of Horizon would be tantamount to wading into a bog wearing long johns. The only possible outcome for this series is for it to leave the viewer confused, disoriented, and full of shame.

survivor

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
Or the writers didn't care to think things through and just threw some nonsense together to make Daimon look that much more badass.
Now that I think about it, the fucker probably just went online downloaded one of these programs that auto generate sudoku puzzles and called it his own.

Or what you said.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
PdotMichael said:
Isn't the deal with Belldany that she is supposed to be perfect?

Yamato Nadeshiko and stuff

Yep, that's exactly it. Which is why most people here find her incredibly boring.
Belldandy was my first anime crush.

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere 1

The background music was pretty enjoyable and it was a fun episode with good consistent action. The exposition from various characters about the world was mixed in amidst the action well. Plenty of the characters feel like cheap gimmicks though (Renji the red blog, Itou the naked incubus man, and Hassan, the Curry guy. The analyst dude running around should have been named, Toori was cool as well as the instructor herself, and Adele, the knight had potential that was lost. I also liked the one girl that managed to get her weapon to hit the instructors hair, as well as the ninja guy (cool hat). Ill keep watching.

zeroshiki said:
Someone was arguing this in this thread a couple days ago. "You can't understand the 1st episode because you didn't read the book!" Yeah no shit, that's why I'm watching the show.

No. You idiot.

I was saying that the start of the story is people talking. This wasn't some cost cutting measure UFOtable did, it was an adaptation of the first part of the novel. Heck, they actually added movement, in the original novel it was mostly people sitting in chairs.

Not adapting this would have created a giant confusing mess.

I'm sorry that it didn't instantly cater to mouthbreathers desire for ALL EXPLOSIONS ALL THE TIME but I guess you have to deal.

Dresden

PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

I was saying that the start of the story is people talking. This wasn't some cost cutting measure UFOtable did, it was an adaptation of the first part of the novel. Heck, they actually added movement, in the original novel it was mostly people sitting in chairs.

I'm sorry that it didn't instantly cater to mouthbreathers desire for ALL EXPLOSIONS ALL THE TIME but I guess you have to deal.

Then again, you seem to think world building and plot setting up is "boring" so I guess there's not much to be done.
1317675628395.gif

Branduil

PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

YodDf.gif

Instro

PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

WRGP7.jpg

PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

It is possible to make people talking to each other visually interesting. Ufotable did not do that. Ergo, what is the point of watching the anime instead of just reading the original novel?

I don't understand how this is a hard position to grasp.

duckroll

PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

Pretty classy.

duckroll said:
Pretty classy.

What I can say, I call them as I see them.

hosannainexcelsis said:
It is possible to make people talking to each other visually interesting. Ufotable did not do that.

Uh, yes they did.

It's just that morons who were expecting ALL ACTION ALL THE TIME are whining about WORDS.

iavi

Horizon 1

This is what happen when you get a wholly self-aware production team in the same room and they all say "FML. Fuck anime. Fuck this project." And then proceed to draw up a show that includes: every anime archtype from the 90's up, consciously horrible character art--aside from otaku insert Gutei, and no care for subtlety--in its OST, storyboarding, or narrative.

I can't even lie...I enjoyed that.

PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

xi9ur.gif

You can do a lot of things between sitting in chairs and bam bam

mAcOdIn

Has anyone actually walked around a person while talking in real life in the history of humanity? I just thought about this as it's something so silly I usually wouldn't bother but thinking on it it seems like walking around someone in a circle while chatting is as fake as harem setups. I might try this tomorrow, the walking in a circle thing not the harem set up, and see what people think, maybe we can bring this manner of conversation into style people!

Oh, also, why the hell are they so far away in that gif?

Risette

A Good Citizen
PataHikari said:
No. You idiot.

13176756283951.gif

This wasn't some cost cutting measure UFOtable did
Okay.

sonicmj1

Fate/Zero

I can see why it's important, but dumping exposition like that is just boring. Tedious. Nothing of consequence happens in a 48 minute episode. It's the sort of thing you can do in a book, but there's no reason to do it in a TV series, where montage can give you a pretty powerful way of covering relevant material as it arrives.

Like, the episode could have started with people getting their servants, and covered all the background about relationships, the Grail Wars, and crap later, as events occurred and characters were introduced. Doing things like this just makes me kind of dislike almost everyone. I'd much rather be given too little information about a situation than too much.

I'm imagining the first episode of Penguindrum opening with a card that says "16 Years Earlier" or something, and it's just kind of sad to think about.

At least things should pick up if they got the boring stuff out of the way already.

Branduil

PataHikari said:
It's just that morons who were expecting ALL ACTION ALL THE TIME are whining about WORDS.
Yes that's exactly what people are complaining about. It's not like anime is a visual medium or anything.

Also, may I suggest hanging on to one of these:

QITLB.jpg

duckroll

Also, for the record, I'm just going to say it here so all the regulars know what my stance is for the record - the next time I see a whole string of image macros in the thread, there's going to be a bloodbath.

Yes, one could be funny. Two would be kinda silly. Three is plain dumb. Four is spamming. Etc. It's not as funny as you think it is!

Uchip

Banned
PdotMichael said:
fun fact

the Mosquito repellent has more animation frames than a entire Fate/Zero episode

looks like they used a simple particle emitter in a program such as combustion
i wouldnt really call that animation :p

sonicmj1

PataHikari said:

Just to elaborate, I honestly found some of the world-building interesting. There's some interesting stuff going on, even if a lot of the universe seems kinda arbitrary (I find it weird how these ruling Magi families seem to know who the Grail will pick even before it does). It took a spot in my imagination even after the episode was over. I'm curious what goes on when the fighting actually starts.

But if you're doing an adaptation, that requires actually adapting the events to suit the medium, not just making minor tweaks to things and calling it a day. And that kind of exposition dump doesn't really work in a visual medium. Making people walk in a circle doesn't fix that fact.

All of that information has to get tackled in some form or another eventually. But front-loading it in that manner isn't the way to do it.

Articalys

Aww, and I had a great macro I've been waiting for a chance to properly use for like three months. Well, I guess he's banned now, so it would be too late, but still.

Anyway...

Phi Brain 1

That was fun. Not much on the overarching plot so far but got me interested enough to keep going. From the ending, looks like a six-character main cast, which seems manageable. Looking forward to next week.
Also, it's an original story, so no worries about a poor adaptation!

duckroll said:
Also, for the record, I'm just going to say it here so all the regulars know what my stance is for the record - the next time I see a whole string of image macros in the thread, there's going to be a bloodbath.

Yes, one could be funny. Two would be kinda silly. Three is plain dumb. Four is spamming. Etc. It's not as funny as you think it is!

And just when i thought i would get some images for the anime i'm now watching.

Thanks for the heads up :(

duckroll

Infinite Justice said:
And just when i thought i would get some images for the anime i'm now watching.

Thanks for the heads up :(

Pictures for impressions and reviews is not the same as image macroing.

Ika Musume S2 2

So THAT'S what the bracelets are for. I bet the author just made that up on the spot when he needed another segment and just stared at the design.

Branduil

I feel like RahXephon isn't a very good anime. Ayato Kamina is worst Kamina. And the plot feels like Evangelion warmed over in the BONES' original writing oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom