• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
Horizon is awesome. I don't get the hate. It's certainly a good idea to turn off all cognitive and logical regions of your brain before watching it, but if you did, you'll be rewarded with 25 minutes of very enjoyable insanity. Even better: the show knows it's pointless and stupid to the nth degree and just runs with it.

I'm translating Fate/Zero for Crunchyroll! Sign your asses up and enjoy the superior version ;D

I liked F/SN so I have high hopes for this. I will say the first (very dialogue-heavy double) episode spends a lot of time painting the backstory for the universe, the families, and the Grail War, so it seems like they're going to take their time setting up the story and developing the characters. Ending left me wanting more too, I may have to grab the light novels at some point.

I think all the dialogue is me getting comeuppance for having it pretty easy with Mitsudomoe and Morita-san wa Mukuchi :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wsippel said:
Horizon is awesome. I don't get the hate. It's certainly a good idea to turn off all cognitive and logical regions of your brain before watching it, but if you did, you'll be rewarded with 25 minutes of very enjoyable insanity. Even better: the show knows it's pointless and stupid to the nth degree and just runs with it.
When there's seven minutes of people just straight talking it is not easy to ignore all that talking.

wsippel

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
When there's seven minutes of people just straight talking it is not easy to ignore all that talking.
There were? Didn't notice. You mean the stuff at the beginning? I was too busy trying to understand the god aweful, yet totally fabulous character designs I guess...

Steroyd

Hunter x Hunter (original) 01 - 03 vs Hunter x Hunter (new) 01

As someone who had forsaken starting the orignal run months ago when the reboot was announced, and with the general impressions in here, I ended up watching both... yeah. @_@

If you hadn't watched hunter x hunter I echo whoever said watch the first 3 episodes of the original, lots of stuff was missed out that gave it enough context for Gon's actions, and pretty much like the beginning of FMA Brotherhood, it looks like they're going to rush through to the point of unfamiliarity of those who watched the orignal run, that said it all depends on how close an adaption to the manga the original run was.

Reknoc

Gintama 101 - 105: Shinsengumi Crisis Arc

So far this is my favourite serious arc in Gintama. Despite the odd thing that happens to Hijikata, it acts a lot more serious. The last couple of episodes in particular were great, some really good action.

Jex

Steroyd said:

If you hadn't watched hunter x hunter I echo whoever said watch the first 3 episodes of the original, lots of stuff was missed out that gave it enough context for Gon's actions, and pretty much like the beginning of FMA Brotherhood, it looks like they're going to rush through to the point of unfamiliarity of those who watched the orignal run, that said it all depends on how close an adaption to the manga the original run was.
That was me. I don't recommend the original because I think the newer series is completely awful, but simply because the original adaptation was excellent and they clearly have no intention of covering the starting material in the same level of depth as the first series.

In other words, they're going to barrel through the start of the manga because the older show has already covered it, which is fine...if you're already familiar with the material. If you're not, then there's a lot you're missing.

Even if we ignore the whole "purity of the adaptation/preserving the story" argument, then I'll point out that the first episode of the episode of the original was far better in terms of pacing, direction and aesthetics.

Jexhius said:
Why would you bring such a thing back into this thread?

And how is it allowed?

There' are lots of shitty, boring and plain old generic OP's in anime. That's one of the few that's literally painful.

I'd suggest we all work together to compile a list of shitty OP's, but that sounds like a painful experience for everyone involved.

I am very disappointed in you. The opening song is not just a anime song but art!

the anime is maybe (or most likely) shit but I want the OST

Articalys

G1
1st 317 Index @ A Certain Magical Index
2nd 284 Kirino Kousaka @ Ore No Imouto Ga Konni Ni Kawaii Wake Ga Nai
3rd 134 Eila Ilmatar Juutilainen @ Strike Witches

H1
1st 330 Houki Shinonono @ Infinite Stratos
2nd 219 Kanon Nakagawa @ The World God Only Knows
3rd 117 Agnese Sanctis @ A Certain Magical Index

Jex

wsippel said:
It's not even a "turn off your brain" and you'll enjoy it kind of show. It's more like: saw open your head with a buzz saw, extract your brain with an ice-cream scoop and then watch the show. Perhaps once you're a zombie you wont notice that it's an offence to all that is right and proper in anime, or television shows, any visual medium and storytelling as a whole.

mAcOdIn

Articalys said:
Saimo stuff.

You know, I always thought there were more creepy people but seeing that a given match usually brings in less than a thousand votes perhaps there is hope for the world yet.

Also, when did the maid girl get cat ears? I don't remember that.

iavi

Jexhius said:
It's not even a "turn off your brain" and you'll enjoy it kind of show. It's more like: saw open your head with a buzz saw, extract your brain with an ice-cream scoop and then watch the show. Perhaps once you're a zombie you wont notice that it's an offence to all that is right and proper in anime, or television shows, any visual medium and storytelling as a whole.

But even it's noticeably self-aware in its nonsense. I kind of dig that, though... I don't know how long that feeling will hold.

Jex

Miri said:
But even it's noticeably self-aware in its nonsense. I kind of dig that, though... I don't know how long that feeling will hold.
You can be self-aware and well made, like Haruhi. Self-aware on it's on, plastered onto a backdrop of incompetent storytelling, is worthless.
mAcOdIn said:
You know, I always thought there were more creepy people but seeing that a given match usually brings in less than a thousand votes perhaps there is hope for the world yet.
A vocal, yet active minority. Like most of the sub-niche's found on the internet.

Articalys

mAcOdIn said:
That's because this is pretty much limited to Japan only thanks to rigorous IP blocking efforts from the tournament organizers. Other contests, like ISML, are open worldwide and tend to have much higher vote counts, like this result from their final match last year:

Gnm4q.png

Steroyd said:

As someone who had forsaken starting the orignal run months ago when the reboot was announced, and with the general impressions in here, I ended up watching both... yeah. @_@

From the brief glance I took at the manga, the new Hunter x Hunter seems to be following it very closely (besides the part it skipped), probably closer than the original anime. It's just that the original's more leisurely approach to the subject matter allows it more time to set up atmosphere and characterization as opposed to the breezy, shallow pace of the new one.

Honestly, it's difficult for me to criticize the new series for the approach that it's taking with the beginning material. It's been long enough that they can't just start where the OVAs left off, but at the same time they're not guaranteed an unlimited number of episodes and the remake will be a waste if they can't reach the unadapted manga material. It's not an ideal situation to be in.

Articalys said:
That's because this is pretty much limited to Japan only thanks to rigorous IP blocking efforts from the tournament organizers. Other contests, like ISML, are open worldwide and tend to have much higher vote counts, like this result from their final match last year:

Gnm4q.png

the world sucks

gunbo13

I'm planning out my comic-con NYC schedule. There is a lot of anime fun to be had especially on that second day. I'll be watching Guilty Crown episodes 1-2 as a start. A lot of other stuff going on like Fairy Tale, Naruto, 5 cm/sec, etc... I'll definitely going to eat lunch when watching Place Promised in our Early Days.

Steroyd

hosannainexcelsis said:
From the brief glance I took at the manga, the new Hunter x Hunter seems to be following it very closely (besides the part it skipped), probably closer than the original anime. It's just that the original's more leisurely approach to the subject matter allows it more time to set up atmosphere and characterization as opposed to the breezy, shallow pace of the new one.

Honestly, it's difficult for me to criticize the new series for the approach that it's taking with the beginning material. It's been long enough that they can't just start where the OVAs left off, but at the same time they're not guaranteed an unlimited number of episodes and the remake will be a waste if they can't reach the unadapted manga material. It's not an ideal situation to be in.

Yeah, I'm understanding of the situation they're in because it was a similar situation with Fullmetal Alchemist they don't want to linger too long on what has already been covered for those who watched the original already.

Of course if someone tells me that the original HxH diverges from the manga completely (if it does) at x point, then like Fullmetal Alchemist, it'll be a no brainer of what to watch and what to wait for.

iavi

Jexhius said:
You can be self-aware and well made, like Haruhi. Self-aware on it's on, plastered onto a backdrop of incompetent storytelling, is worthless.

...I'm going to go ahead and say that you're approaching it wrong. It's incredibly evident that the series is not taking itself seriously in the slightest--including every archtype in anime history, consciously forced exposition, a pop ost, extreme tits/flat chests, and flashy fights. Why waste your time looking for something it's obviously not?

Branduil

Articalys said:

Gnm4q.png
And yet they somehow end up with even worse results.

Jex

Miri said:
...I'm going to go ahead and say that you're approaching it wrong. It's incredibly evident that the series is not taking itself seriously in the slightest--including every archtype in anime history, consciously forced exposition, a pop ost, extreme tits/flat chests, and flashy fights. Why waste your time looking for something it's obviously not?
I don't know if you can really approach a show 'wrong'. You can come at a show with preconceptions (which I'm sure most people do) but once you actually sit down to experience what the show really is those aren't particularly relevant.

The actual content, intent, tone, story etc is irrelevant when the presentation is so terrible. You can have 'dumb fun', lowest-common-denominator type shows. However, stuff like Code Geass and Highschool of the Dead are actually constructed in a way that isn't terrible - they aren't boring or terribly placed or wholly nonsensical.

wsippel

Banned
Jexhius said:
If it takes being a zombie to have fun, I'm glad to be a zombie.

EDIT: Sorry, Haruhi is shit. Honest to god shit. If you think it has any redeeming qualities, you're wrong. Even the first episode of Horizon is a billion times better than anything even remotely Haruhi related could ever hope to be.

Geneijin

darkside31337 said:
Ro-Kyu-Bu! sold more than 6400 copies. Season 2 is inevitable, YES!

Blood-C sold <1000 copies. Saya is sad :(

R-15, Itsuten, KamiMemo all mega bomba as well as expected.
Anime still lives.

Jex

wsippel said:
EDIT: Sorry, Haruhi is shit. Honest to god shit. If you think it has any redeeming qualities, you're wrong. Even the first episode of Horizon is a billion times better than anything even remotely Haruhi related could ever hope to be.
This position seems a bit...extreme, even if you don't like Haruhi as a show. It's character designs, cinematography, photography, animation, script and editing are all far better than Horizon. I think Haurhi is a pretty weak series, but it's actually constructed very well.

The same cannot be said of Horizon, which is a random selection of scenes slotted together with no rhyme or reason.

wsippel

Banned
Jexhius said:
This position seems a bit...extreme, even if you don't like Haruhi as a show. It's character designs, cinematography, photography, animation, script and editing are all far better than Horizon. I think Haurhi is a pretty weak series, but it's actually constructed very well.

The same cannot be said of Horizon, which is a random selection of scenes slotted together with no rhyme or reason.
They're not. Horizon definitely has better character designs. At least they're imaginative and not generic as fuck. Haruhi's script make just as much (or little (or even less)) sense, and Horizon definitely has better animations. Dunno about editing, don't remember Haruhi all that well. But it's probably worse in that aspect as well.

Also: Fuck rhyme and reason.

Geneijin

Uchip said:
I put it in spoiler tags, what is your issue?
That it was a lazy spoiler when you didn't indicate it, and your response after I warned you of it was almost as bad of one.

Saiyar said:
Chihayafuru has been added to Crunchy rolls lineup. Available in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.

Looks like CR are waiting till the day a show airs before they announce it.
Updated. Thanks.

Risette

A Good Citizen
wsippel said:
They're not. Horizon definitely has better character designs. At least they're imaginative and not generic as fuck. Haruhi's script make just as much (or less) sense, and Horizon definitely has better animations. Dunno about editing, don't remember Haruhi all that well. But it's probably worse in that aspect as well.
Are you serious? Come on.

I don't like Haruhi much but it's a very well put together show.

wsippel

Banned
Aigis said:
Are you serious? Come on.

I don't like Haruhi much but it's a very well put together show.
It is? Could have fooled me.

It's not. It's a really, really bad show, with terrible characters, a nonsensical script, terrible designs and no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Branduil

wsippel said:
If it takes being a zombie to have fun, I'm glad to be a zombie.

Nah, Haruhi is considerably better than Horizon. I really can't think of much, if anything, Horizon does better.
wsippel said:

It's not. It's a really, really bad show, with terrible characters, a nonsensical script, terrible designs and no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
That's simply not true, though. Haruhi is competently directed, has good animation, and Smugdouche has nothing on Kyon.

jman2050

wsippel said:

Nonsensical is absolutely not a word I would ever use to describe Haruhi.

I mean the show has problems, but it has a lot of good things going for it as well.

BluWacky

wsippel said:

It's got pretty good animation. Genuinely.

I don't care for the show at all, but on a technical level it's pretty good.

Steroyd

wsippel said:
They're not. Horizon definitely has better character designs. At least they're imaginative and not generic as fuck. Haruhi's script make just as much (or little (or even less)) sense, and Horizon definitely has better animations. Dunno about editing, don't remember Haruhi all that well. But it's probably worse in that aspect as well.

Also: Fuck rhyme and reason.

Just to be clear, are you really saying that Horizon has better animation than a Kyoani production?

If you read the wsippel postings with a kid voice, it's at least a little funny.

I liked the Haruhi S1 anime very much. I think The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina as first episode was an great idea.

Branduil

Steroyd said:
Just to be clear, are you really saying that Horizon has better animation than a Kyoani production?
To be clear, the first episode of Horizon did have decent animation. Not sure I'd really expect that to continue, though. Plus the designs are so offensively bad.

I couldn't make it through the first episode of Horizon, but its setting seemed incredibly convoluted and nonsensical, what with the whole needed to recreate early eras of history for some bizarre reason and when the annals of history stop the world will end thing, whereas Haruhi is very straightforwardly about a world much like our own to which an unknowingly omnipotent force has thrown in some sci-fi elements. Haruhi is definitely the better written story.

wsippel

Banned
Branduil said:
That's simply not true, though. Haruhi is competently directed, has good animation, and Smugdouche has nothing on Kyon.
It took me a piss to even remember who Kyon was. So no. No visible direction, no interesting story, no likable characters. Smugdouche might be an asshole, but at least I can relate to him. Kyon is a faceless loser. And Haruhi is just as abusive, but far less likable than even Louise from Zero no Something.

Jex

wsippel said:
They're not. Horizon definitely has better character designs. At least they're imaginative and not generic as fuck.
Well, they're a different variety of generic, yes.
wsippel said:
Horizon definitely has better animations.
There is character animation in Horizon, but it's not very impressive. Certainly nothing near the level of a KyoAni production.

A show can be well made and still bad. Hollywood movies have been well made for decades, but that doesn't make them good. Haurhi, like Nichijou and K-On!, is a very well made show.

Not that I'm hear to argue about which of two shows I don't really like is the least bad.

wsippel

Banned
The problem with animu these days, and the problem we have thread titles like these, is that people think there has to be more to it. There's not. It's entertainment. That's what it's supposed to be. If I have to think about a show, look for a deeper meaning that actually really isn't there, it failed at the one quality it's supposed to have. Haruhi fails. Evangelion fails. Madoka fails. All those shows are actually terrible, but they're so unbelievably bad that people try to see something in them that simply isn't there. I take tits and explosions over philosophical, metaphysical bullshit any day of the week. Because anime authors simply aren't clever enough to do that stuff, and anything I'd try to see in those shows would be my very own imagination. It's not my job to pat somebody's back for something I made up myself.

And by the way, I have nothing against KyoAni. They did FMP, which is one of my favorite shows, anime or otherwise, ever. That shit was honest. No bullshit, no deeper meaning - it was simply there to entertain the viewer, and it succeeded.

Then again, I guess I have a very different taste than most of anime GAF, so feel free to ignore my ramblings. What I wrote is just my opinion. I hate pretentious bullshit, and I consider many beloved anime shows pretentious bullshit.

Branduil

wsippel said:
The problem with animu these days, and the problem we have thread titles like these, is that people think there has to be more to it. There's not. It's entertainment. That what it's supposed to be. If I have to think about a show, look for a deeper meaning that actually really isn't there, it failed at the one quality it's supposed to have. Haruhi fails. Evangelion fails. Madoka fails. All those shows are actually terrible, but they're so unbelievably bad that people try to see something in them that simply isn't there.
I wish we hadn't used up our gif quota already.

Risette

A Good Citizen
wsippel said:
Haruhi fails. Evangelion fails. Madoka fails. All those shows are actually terrible, but they're so unbelievably bad that people try to see something in them that simply isn't there.
Evangelion certainly isn't terrible. It's rather weak (but very entertaining) in the writing department, but it's amazingly directed and animated (well, the mechs at least.)

Perhaps you should quit thinking that everyone likes shows for the same reason. Also, all of that stuff has really nothing to do with more technical aspects of shows like animation and such, which you tried to argue against Haruhi as well.

Branduil

wsippel said:
Not even a 5MB gif would make anything I wrote less true.
Well, that's true enough. It's wrong on its own terms, it doesn't need a gif. I don't even think Evangelion, Madoka, and Haruhi are true top-echelon shows, but they're all very well-made and are mostly entertaining. People like them because they're not boring and they have interesting direction and visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom