• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steroyd said:
I... I took little breaks inbetween episodes... but yeah... Came into the show expecting some type of battle summon thing, and all I got was mai waifu is King Arthur crap. T_T

I still find it somewhat disturbing that
he fucks King Arthur in a female body

Well, I did get to attend one meeting of my schools "animation society," walking away with anticipation to see more of Baccano (Firo seemed cool even though the plot was difficult to follow, ep 5). Tiger and Bunny was nice but it has so much brand advertising, animation looked nice for the fighting for Barnaby's Bday, and they hyped me for Star Driver even though it seemed to be some filler boat in the sky episode.

Nichijou was rather boring with only some girl drawing cool characters to the teacher skit being memorable. Hidan No Aria (9,10) and Kore Wa Zombie (chainsaw magical dude) were crazy but not something I would watch. I think they shall switch to Steins Gate and Ano Hana in two weeks, so two more anime I never saw before.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
geneijin_zps8a85ab6d.jpg

Articalys

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere 1

Again, hard to not be influenced by the discussion I've witnessed, nonetheless...

What did I just watch? Like, it was flashy and funny as hell, and there were like twenty billion characters, and Jun Fukuyama's Toori was amazing in his audacity, but I couldn't make any sense out of it.
Will give another week to see if it stays this random or not. And if they give Minori Chihara more singing time.

NewFresh

Dedication Through Light said:
Nichijou was rather boring with only some girl drawing cool characters to the teacher skit being memorable. Hidan No Aria (9,10) and Kore Wa Zombie (chainsaw magical dude) were crazy but not something I would watch. I think they shall switch to Steins Gate and Ano Hana in two weeks, so two more anime I never saw before.

How much Nichijou did you watch?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How could anyone call Kyon from Haruhi faceless and unrelatable? He's the only character in that show that comes anything close to resembling an actual person.

Regulus Tera said:
How could anyone call Kyon from Haruhi faceless and unrelatable? He's the only character in that show that comes anything close to resembling an actual person.
Yuki's the only character that doesn't act like a real person.

jman2050

Regulus Tera said:

He's the sole reason any of the stupid nonsense happening around him is at all interesting.

Going over Penguin Drum... is there some bit of Japanese culture I am not familiar with?

Why does Shoma
place any amount of blame on himself for what his parents did?

trejo

Saced Seven 10-12

Well, the show was a nice, self-contained little package and I can sort of appreciate that. Perhaps it could've done with a bit less of the awkward standard romance subplot that ultimately didn't really go anywhere but at least the last couple of eps managed to deliver in the mindless action department.

This show could've been Sunrise'd to hell and back so it was nice that it didn't end up going down that route. Not entirely, at least.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Master Milk said:
Yuki's the only character that doesn't act like a real person.
Haruhi would be put into a psychiatric ward if she were real. I guess it was insensitive of me to suggest people with mental problems are imaginary.

Uchip

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Haruhi would be put into a psychiatric ward if she were real. I guess it was insensitive of me to suggest people with mental problems are imaginary.

most anime characters would be taking a high dose of ritalin or antidepressant
its a world where mental illness is celebrated, and reality would be a better place if it followed suit :p

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
Going over Penguin Drum... is there some bit of Japanese culture I am not familiar with?

Why does Shoma
place any amount of blame on himself for what his parents did?
It seemed to me that his father
initiated the attacks because of the news of his birth. So perhaps he thinks it would be better if he'd never been born, so the attacks wouldn't have taken place.

trejo

Regulus Tera said:
Nah, she'd just be an annoying bitch guys would put up with cause she's kinda hot. Plenty of those around.

Edit: Oh lawd, icarus is watching Yami. I expect wonderful things.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
icarus-daedelus said:
1) what the hell kind of a name is Darkness, the Hat, and the Travelers of the Books; no wonder I've never heard of it before
It's quite a mouthful. We just refer to it as yami, or yamihat.
2) tell me that bird isn't as annoying as I think he is going to be
Mascooooooooooooooot.
3) why does the camera sway like a drunkard over still images for no raisin
Cloverfield.
4) what goes best with Vietnamese chili garlic sauce, that shit is out of this world good
Pho or beef/lamb hotpot.
5) why does this keep happening to me
Masochistic tendencies and your peers' penchants for Schadenfreude.

Enron

Banned
Dresden said:
Lemongrass beef and other such cow meats.

It seems odd to me that so much of the white man world is just now discovering Sriracha over the past couple of years. I've pretty much been raised on the stuff.

Also - just watched Tamayura Hitototototototttototose 1.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cute girls crying. A lot. Too much. Even more boring than the OVA. Nice OP and ED though. Will be getting those.

Branduil

Brain Powerd 3

Tomino really sucks at writing. The show is overly interested in made-up lingo that only the writer understands, all the characters talk in stilted dialect, and converse in bizarre non sequiturs. There's clearly some kind of plot buried in this but it's incomprehensible because the writer doesn't know how to explain it in relate-able terms, or maybe he's not even interested in doing so. I don't think Tomino's brain works like a normal person's.

I like how Yuu
kisses Hime again when he sees her even as he argues with her. I think he has issues with women.

youre%20gonna%20carry%20that%20weight.jpg

It's funny how Tomino takes mecha to its logically silly conclusion, with them doing things like trying to open doors, plugging in power cables, and carrying around giant plates and cars.

parting%20the%20red%20sea.jpg

There's a tsunami scene which seems in rather bad taste now. Also, I like how Yuu saves Hime's house, but presumably a bunch of people still died since he didn't stop the tsunami everywhere. I guess we're not supposed to care about them.

I have to keep mentioning the soundtrack. This is absolutely up there with Kanno's best work and its criminal how overqualified it is for this show.

trejo

Enron said:
It seems odd to me that so much of the white man world is just now discovering Sriracha over the past couple of years. I've pretty much been raised on the stuff.
Shit is so good. I've tried putting it on pretty much all I can. Probably even on things I shouldn't have.

Dresden

trejo said:
Shit is so good. I've tried putting it on pretty much all I can. Probably even on things I shouldn't have.
Gotta step up to Tuong Ot Toi.

I think I prefer the more honest spice of, say, gochujang or green chile for most foods, though.

Instro

Tamayura 1

I really liked that. Totally mellow show that looks good, features some nice music, and a calm atmosphere. Very mono no aware. Some pretty looking backgrounds in there, and the animation is decent enough. I love the character designs as well. Main girl seems pretty cool.

Could easily be show of the season for me, but I don't think this will be for everyone.

Joule

Kimi to Boku 1: Could use more bro (particularly Kaname needs to be more of a bro). Yuta's a total bro grooming Shun's hair. I did find it somewhat amusing. The music is okay and the visuals are fine. There could be lot more going on though visually and otherwise. I do like OP/ED songs.

The unexpected highlight though was all the cats!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Instro said:
Tamayura 1

I really liked that. Totally mellow show that looks good, features some nice music, and a calm atmosphere. Very mono no aware. Some really looking backgrounds in there, and the animation is decent enough. I love the character designs as well. Main girl seems pretty cool.

Could easily be show of the season for me, but I don't think this will be for everyone.
To say the least. Has Lafiel trolled me on this show yet? :p

trejo

Dresden said:
Gotta step up to Tuong Ot Toi.
I had to google that up. Not bad, perhaps I'll even try making some sometime.

Instro said:
Tamayura 1

I really liked that. Totally mellow show that looks good, features some nice music, and a calm atmosphere. Very mono no aware. Some really nice looking backgrounds in there, and the animation is decent enough. I love the character designs as well.

What would you say it's mono no aware ranking is?

icarus-daedelus said:
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 1

Oh god Hito, tell me those interdimensional space lesbians are merely adopted sisters or something (is that even better?!), because incestuous interdimensional time-travelling lesbians is just too much.

Expecting something at least as good/bad as Strawberry Panic or Kannazuki no Miko. We'll see about that.

Other questions:

1) what the hell kind of a name is Darkness, the Hat, and the Travelers of the Books; no wonder I've never heard of it before

2) tell me that bird isn't as annoying as I think he is going to be

3) why does the camera sway like a drunkard over still images for no raisin

4) what goes best with Vietnamese chili garlic sauce, that shit is out of this world good

5) why does this keep happening to me
One thing to know about this, besides that most of the people here who watched it didn't like it (I thought the couple of episodes I saw were okay, but didn't watch the later two thirds of the show): It's an adult VN adaptation, with the guy removed, and like in some other such cases, this means the characters are lesbians now (another example of that same shift would be Koihime Musou, though that's a quite different show otherwise).

In both cases, the changes are almost certainly for the better...

Jex

Lafiel said:
Tamayura Hitotose 1 - For firehawk12 - ANIME S SAVEDI MONO NO AWARE ETC ETC ETC

For everyone else - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I genuinely enjoyed the hell out of i[/B]t though, the highest compliment i can give it, is this is the kind of show I'd go out of the way to watch if all the episodes were available.
So, by this logic, you're Firehawk?

Enron

Banned
trejo said:

You want to try something awesome?

1 tablespoon of sriracha

2-3 tablespoons of mayo

1-2 dashes of soy sauce

a little bit of lemon juice or lime juice (or even orange juice). Just a couple of drops will do.

Mix in a ramekin. Use as a dipping sauce for...well...anything.

Enron

Banned
Branduil said:
Brain Powerd 3

Tomino really sucks at writing. The show is overly interested in made-up lingo that only the writer understands, all the characters talk in stilted dialect, and converse in bizarre non sequiturs. There's clearly some kind of plot buried in this but it's incomprehensible because the writer doesn't know how to explain it in relate-able terms, or maybe he's not even interested in doing so. I don't think Tomino's brain works like a normal person's.

I like how Yuu
kisses Hime again when he sees her even as he argues with her. I think he has issues with women.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/bp/youre gonna carry that weight.jpg

It's funny how Tomino takes mecha to its logically silly conclusion, with them doing things like trying to open doors, plugging in power cables, and carrying around giant plates and cars.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/bp/parting the red sea.jpg

There's a tsunami scene which seems in rather bad taste now. Also, I like how Yuu saves Hime's house, but presumably a bunch of people still died since he didn't stop the tsunami everywhere. I guess we're not supposed to care about them.

I have to keep mentioning the soundtrack. This is absolutely up there with Kanno's best work and its criminal how overqualified it is for this show.

I paid 10 dollars for the entire show on dvd. Clearance at a BB years ago. I feel that's about what it is worth.

I <3 Hime though. She's so cute. The rest of the show can go fly a kite.

Branduil

Enron said:
I paid 10 dollars for the entire show on dvd. Clearance at a BB years ago. I feel that's about what it is worth.

I <3 Hime though. She's so cute. The rest of the show can go fly a kite.
Nah, the soundtrack is worth more. Though you could say the rest of the show adds negative value.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Usagi drop 11 - This was a really good show and i don't have much to say other than that. I do find it to be pretty overrated as far as anime goes this year though
wandering son was better
I can't help it that you have no soul, Lafiel. I guess it's just filled with blonde idols :(

Enron

Banned
Branduil said:
Nah, the soundtrack is worth more. Though you could say the rest of the show adds negative value.

I've owned the soundtrack for about......11 years now. Way ahead of you on that one!

Jexhius said:
I can't help it that you have no soul, Lafiel. I guess it's just filled with blonde idols :(

Slutty blond idols at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom