• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Okay, here's the thing I don't understand about the Kamiyama Cyborg 009 film. Why does it have to be cel-shaded? Cel-shading makes sense when you want a video game to look like animation, or when you want to blend CG objects with traditional animation. It makes no sense with a fully CGI film because you can just animate it traditionally if you want the cel-shading look. That has the additional benefit of not looking like crap.

If you're going to go full CGI, choose a look and a shading method that fits the medium. Take advantage of the strengths of CGI.

Jex

Branduil said:
I don't even know what they're trying to do any more.

It's bizarre to me that Japanese animators would abandon their mastery of traditional animation in order to make third-rate CGI movies that are laughable compared to what western animation is doing with CGI.
The best part is that they've been trying to make CG for years..and it's barely improved. What a terrible waste of time, money and talent.

trejo

Jexhius said:
The best part is that they've been trying to make CG for years..and it's barely improved. What a terrible waste of time, money and talent.
It really is a shame for most everyone involved.

Well, at least this one sounds like it'll have a nice score to go along with it.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Really, the only CGI movie I've seen from Japan that wasn't an embarrassment technically was Advent Children. And Square has been working in computer animation for over a decade, and nearly went bankrupt making an awful theatrical movie, so it didn't come easy for them.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
If it'll tempt you to watch it again, Adolescence Apocalypse makes much more sense having seen the show. How much in toto? Not very.

And now the 20 minute long version of rinbu revolution (dat OP song) will mean so much more to you!
I am planning on watching it again, actually. I remember a number of great scenes I wouldn't mind revisiting, now with the added bonus of having knowledge of the show to go along with them.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Code Geass R2 1-4

Wow, off to a glorious start... everything was fabulous. Everything was amazing. Tactical Ground and Building Shaking Action.

But seriously. They started the season with Kallen in a playboy like bunny suit, kicking dudes in the face. WTF more do you want!?? This is as good as sex. Possibly better, haven't decided yet.

Uchip

Banned
Jexhius said:

it is actually sub 3d student film levels a lot of the time
perhaps self taught?

Branduil

Uchip said:
it is actually sub 3d student film levels a lot of the time
Well, let's not go crazy. Student films that go for that style are still going to look worse than that unless they're the best of the best.

Uchip

Banned
Branduil said:
Well, let's not go crazy. Student films that go for that style are still going to look worse than that unless they're the best of the best.

of course i mean the more talented 3d students
but the fact that the biggest anime studios out there hire people to make sketchy animated renders amazes me.
Did squaresoft steal anyone of worth or what?

Jex

[Chihayafuru 1]

If you boil this down to the core story and character elements, there isn't anything particularly interesting or unique going on here. The 'hook' to differentiate this show is a surprisingly uninteresting card game, a game which may apparently no tactics. Kaiji this ain't.

However, the actual presentation layer is really good. I'm not purely talking about character designs, background art and animation, even though those are all good, but the direction is pretty notable. By which I mean nice pacing, good use of framing and editing etc. It's nothing gimmicky, it's just solid and traditional.

So yeah, I liked this episode, it was well made and enjoyable to watch. However, the story and characters being what they are, I'm uncertain if the show will continue to be good once the direction and animation start to get uneven. If the presentation becomes average, I don't think that the story will somehow save the show.

trejo

Chihayafuru 1

Well, the show is very pretty. I don't know if it being based around some obscure japanese card game that seems entirely dependant on memorization is going to hold my attention all the way through but the mono no aware and pleasant character designs certainly help.

Branduil

I really have to keep mentioning how good the Brain Powerd OST is. I recommend everyone who loves Kanno buys the soundtrack and never watches the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlnEuGcvwuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EGvt7oGPyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFscKMtx8ZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JaEgxL6VmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9bNPqKkutM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1UASdm0MbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8Ul2jqTqA

227839420.gif

duckroll

Uchip said:
every single time you claim that x>y
as in 90% of your posts, or messages that you send me on steam
im not wasting my time searching through your history to find something that im pretty sure everyone has noticed

This is unacceptable. If you claim that you do not want to "waste your time" searching for evidence, then you should not bother making a claim to begin with. Otherwise anyone can make a baseless claim and then simply go "it's definitely true, I don't want to waste my time proving it though" and there would be no consequences.

Uchip

Banned
duckroll said:
This is unacceptable. If you claim that you do not want to "waste your time" searching for evidence, then you should not bother making a claim to begin with. Otherwise anyone can make a baseless claim and then simply go "it's definitely true, I don't want to waste my time proving it though" and there would be no consequences.

unfortunately steam does not have a chatlog and if you honestly expect me to go through a thousand posts just to prove something, that is more unacceptable than the claim im making (which is between me and him and doesn't concern you).

duckroll

Uchip said:
unfortunately steam does not have a chatlog and if you honestly expect me to go through a thousand posts just to prove something, that is more unacceptable than the claim im making (which is between me and him and doesn't concern you).

Everything on this forum that is posted here concerns me as a moderator. I don't care about anything you do outside of the forum. That does not interest or concern me. Don't bother bringing that stuff up here. It is also not for you to say what is acceptable or unacceptable. I am telling you to stop harassing users on NeoGAF with unfounded claims if you don't want to back them up. Either pony up evidence when someone challenges your claim, or shut up and don't try to accuse anyone of anything ever again.

Uchip

Banned
duckroll said:
Everything on this forum that is posted here concerns me as a moderator. I don't care about anything you do outside of the forum. That does not interest or concern me. Don't bother bringing that stuff up here. It is also not for you to say what is acceptable or unacceptable. I am telling you to stop harassing users on NeoGAF with unfounded claims if you don't want to back them up. Either pony up evidence when someone challenges your claim, or shut up and don't try to accuse anyone of anything ever again.

you can pretend to be mr justice all you want, i know your real personality and have enough evidence to pony up if you would wish that i shared it.
you're still upset that you got booted from irc for insulting me
you can claim that the forum is separate, but its still the same person behind the keyboard.

Claims are often made here without the need for post history and I talk to Lafiel outside of this board so your claim that I am harassing users doesn't even add up singularly.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/04-1/saki-achika-hen-tv-anime-to-air-spring-2012

Huh, so there's an anime based on Saki Achika-hen anime coming in Spring 2012. There was an announcement a while back that there would be a Saki anime next year, but now this has been announced. The article says that it's not clear whether this is the upcoming Saki anime, and thus there won't be a continuation of the main series, or whether both are in the works. I guess we'll have to see. Either way we get more Saki anime, which is nice.

(As for the Achika-hen manga, it's only a couple of chapters in because it just recently started, but it's good so far.)

On another note, a manga based on the soon to air Last Exile Fam has started, and it's pretty good. I'm definitely looking forward to the anime.

Lafiel said:
Usagi drop 11 - This was a really good show and i don't have much to say other than that. I do find it to be pretty overrated as far as anime goes this year though
wandering son was better
Thank you. Finally someone says what we've all been thInking.

zeroshiki said:
It doesn't say anything about Lafiel being wrong. How can it be what we were all thinking?
Well wandering son is clearly better and I know we all agree on that front. Weather or not usagi drop is overrated is a matter left up to opinion.

duckroll

Uchip said:
you can pretend to be mr justice all you want, i know your real personality and have enough evidence to pony up if you would wish that i shared it.
you're still upset that you got booted from irc for insulting me
you can claim that the forum is separate, but its still the same person behind the keyboard.

Claims are often made here without the need for post history and I talk to Lafiel outside of this board so your claim that I am harassing users doesn't even add up singularly.

I'm not upset about anything. I'm telling you to stop doing something. I'm not inviting you to argue. Trying to trash talk is not going to change anything. Your behavior on this forum is the only thing which concerns me. If you continue to try and pick fights and insult people, don't blame anyone else when the complaints result in you being removed from the forum. Just a heads up.

Uchip

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm not upset about anything. I'm telling you to stop doing something. I'm not inviting you to argue. Trying to trash talk is not going to change anything. Your behavior on this forum is the only thing which concerns me. If you continue to try and pick fights and insult people, don't blame anyone else when the complaints result in you being removed from the forum. Just a heads up.

Stop doing what exactly? maybe you need to provide some evidence for this "picking fights and insulting people".
Plenty of people claim far worse things than i do, especially on this board, so the selective treatment you give me is fascinating.

duckroll

Uchip said:
Stop doing what exactly?

Stop making any accusations that you don't care to back up. I think I've been very clear. Take this as a warning. If you want to accuse someone of something, if they deny it, be prepared to back it up. If you try to escape from defending an accusation by saying "everyone knows it's true, I don't want to waste time looking for prove", the next time you will be banned. This is all I am saying. And that's all I have to say about it.

zeroshiki

Hellsing321 said:
Why do you have to make this difficult?

I will defend Bunny Drop to the death. If you don't agree, I'm gonna have to start with the ad hominems and if those don't work, I'm gonna drag your post history into this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Uchip said:
Stop doing what exactly? maybe you need to provide some evidence for this "picking fights and insulting people".
Plenty of people claim far worse things than i do, especially on this board, so the selective treatment you give me is fascinating.
I hope you realise the irony on you asking for other people to provide evidence for their claims when you cannot be bothered to do so when asked to.

Anyway, what's on schedule for today? Anything good?

Uchip

Banned
clearly you're on some kind of mod power trip and dont like to be questioned

Regulus Tera said:
I hope you realise the irony on you asking for other people to provide evidence for their claims when you cannot be bothered to do so when asked to.

thats exactly why I used it

duckroll

Uchip said:
clearly you're on some kind of mod power trip and dont like to be questioned

No, I was telling you to stop doing something that other users find annoying. Instead of recognizing that you are being annoying, you decide to insult me and then continue to insult me. And now you are suggesting that I do not have the right to tell you when you're doing something wrong. I'm done here.

trejo

Regulus Tera said:
I thought we were all cynics here and just pretended to like anime for the irony factor.
We do. Brandy's just being cute. See:

Branduil said:
Not at all. Fun things are fun.
You can almost taste the smug sarcasm in this post. Oh, that Brandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom