• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lain said:
I need more badass mahjong played by lolis.

---

Denpa Onna

after hearing the opening song for two days now, I need to watch it. The wiki article makes me excited about the story:

Plot

Makoto Niwa meets his first cousin Erio Tōwa at the house of his aunt Meme Tōwa. Erio is no longer enrolled on the register of the school and wears a futon. Erio claims that she is an extraterrestrial lifeform.

and the Miku versions of the song are not bad, especially the miku append version is more than outstanding

http://youtu.be/4YlAnpU5NGo

http://youtu.be/JMpVeh2rWEc

yeah, I know Denpa Onna is bad and Horizon is better

Steroyd

I thought I'd get used to it now, but Uchip's posts before getting banned are still like watching a trainwreck at full speed, that i can't keep my eyes off of.

zeroshiki

Denpa isn't really bad... its just very boring.

The story goes nowhere and no one gets any development. As in, literally, the characters end where they start with nothing happening in between.

except perhaps Erio but that's kinda debatable

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Dynedom said:
I also really should finish up Monster.

As should I. I really liked the premise, but after about... maybe 10 episodes I honestly don't remember exactly where I stopped, I lost interest. It just wasn't paced very well, and knowing there were some 60 episodes to go just made it too daunting to do so. :/

One of these days.

Defuser

gLdvFl.jpg

p1zhe.jpg

Damn you beautiful design and drawing!!!! I have to watch this now!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Defuser said:
http://i.imgur.com/gLdvFl.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/p1zhe.jpg[IMG]

Damn you beautiful design and drawing!!!! I have to watch this now!![/QUOTE]
I thought it was pretty cute. Definitely worth a 20 minute sitdown to see if you'll stick to it. I'm already excited for the card game to get sidelined and for the focus to move over the to characters though (dreams, goals, blah blah), because it seems boring as fuck.

scy

Dresden said:
http://i.imgur.com/qkl7ul.jpg[IMG]

Finally, a contender for the uguu crown?[/QUOTE]

When we get wiped out in an apocalypse, I'm blaming this for it. Just saying.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lain said:
Meh, I want an anime about the rest of the story published. Not like I won't watch an anime about the spinoff, but really, I need more badass mahjong played by lolis.
Aren't they still at the nationals in the manga?

zeroshiki said:
I will defend Bunny Drop to the death. If you don't agree, I'm gonna have to start with the ad hominems and if those don't work, I'm gonna drag your post history into this.
That's only because you have a thing for the girl in the movie!
(also, Tamayura > both!)

Lain

Branduil said:
This is quite true. Brain Powerd has an amazing soundtrack. Too bad it was wasted on that show.

Jex

Dresden said:
http://i.imgur.com/qkl7ul.jpg/IMG]

Finally, a contender for the uguu crown?[/QUOTE]
Beautiful.
[QUOTE=firehawk12]Really need :lol smiley right about now![/QUOTE]
They aren't [I]that[/I] much work to drop in, you know!

Carnival Phantasm 1-4

Seeing the Tsukihime characters makes me wish someone would reboot the series, but nonetheless the four eps. were great and its from the same director of Seto No Hanayome so the style of humor was just what I expected. It sucks that there's no season 2 for SnH, but at least I can still look forward to CP's season 2. ^_^

Fate/Zero 1:
That was a pretty interesting first episode. It did a good job of introducing the characters and the setting, and there's a fair amount of intrigue set up there. There wasn't a lot of action, but I appreciated how it was willing to spend time letting the story breath and flesh out the cast rather than feel the need to rush into things and include tons of action right from the start. I'll definitely keep watching to see where things head.

first wsippel gets an epic smackdown and now Uchip went down in a fiery blaze.

damn @ animeGAF this season :O

also lol @ that Horizon pic. Kanon's main character has been dethroned.

Go_Ly_Dow

Looking back at my original list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31232009&postcount=331

Week 1/Episode 1

Will watch:

-Personaaaaaaaaa 4
-Guilty Crown (for the lulz)

Keeping my eyes on:

-HunterXHunter
-Chiyayafuru
-Fate/Zero (haven't seen the previous anime, but it has Urobuchi's name on it)
-Kimi to Boku
-Last Exile (the art looks nice)

...and I shall keep my ears open about the other shows.

So after scanning this thread my crapdar is telling me that Chiyayafuru is the first non-crap show!?

Time to check out my first fall show it seems.

Will stick to a 3 strike policy with all shows before they're removed.

Jexhius said:
So I guess I missed all the fun, right?

Welcome to my world.

scy said:
New page new argument.

Need to remember this one!

Jex

M_Night said:
So after scanning this thread my crapdar is telling me that Chiyayafuru is the first non-crap show!?
It's definitely 'not crap'. Which isn't the same as saying 'must watch' as it actually seems like a fairly standard set-up, just with really good production values.

Go_Ly_Dow

Jexhius said:
It's definitely 'not crap'. Which isn't the same as saying 'must watch' as it actually seems like a fairly standard set-up, just with really good production values.

Good enough for me!

Enron

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
first wsippel gets an epic smackdown and now Uchip went down in a fiery blaze.

damn @ animeGAF this season :O

also lol @ that Horizon pic. Kanon's main character has been dethroned.

This is what, the third or fourth time uchip has gone down in a fiery blaze?

M_Night said:
Besides Chihayafuru, Tamayura, Phi Brain, and Hunter x Hunter are all certainly "not crap" from their first episodes. Not that any of these shows are extraordinary standouts - this is a relatively weak season compared to the last couple in that regard - but they're all enjoyable enough and worth checking out to see if you like them.

I caught up with Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan to the most recent episode. I think there are two episodes left? Seems like a lot to cram into two episodes.

I don't know, its been a perfectly fine season but its lacking that extra special something to pull me in. After the end of the first season I said some negative things about it in one of these threads. Not raging or anything, just disappointment. In retrospect I think I was disappointed because I enjoyed it and felt it was just short of being better.

This season, I guess I just don't care that much. I'm not attached to any of the new characters and the stakes don't feel very high even though the show keeps trying to pretend they are. All the human characters are basically gone and after spending all the first season with them I kind of miss them.

I'm curious to see how it all wraps up.

I also watched the first two episodes of Fairy Tail. Seems like they are laying on the "shonen" a little thick (for lack of a better way to describe) like they need to cram a bunch of cliches in at the start hoping to hook an audience with one of them. Maybe just a tad over the top for me but I'll give it a few more episodes.

weeaboo

You guys are evil, Fate/Zero is not crapzone (yet). Yes, the first episode was boring but the characters and the universe are interesting. Also a novel -> visual novel change is a total upgrade. But yeah, another five episodes with that density in the writing and I will probably kill myself.

Articalys

Every vote counts.
G2
1st 221 Haruka L. Morishima @ Amagami SS
2nd 219 Yui @ Angel Beats!
3rd 97 Misaki Ayuzawa @ Kaichou Wa Maid-sama!

H2
1st 254 Aria H. Kanzaki @ Hidan No Aria
2nd 161 Haruna @ Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka?
3rd 110 Hitoha Marui @ Mitsudomoe

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Model Friend is redundant when Kirino and her other friend are models as well. Should have been Yandere friend.

Jex

[Anne of Green Gables - 19]

Anne is the fucking boss. She should be out there, closing wall-street deals, negotiating hostage situation and making peace between nations. Seriously, she's that good. It's just how she rolls.

I'm still not super hot on the "narration plays over still images" technique that they frequently use, presumably as a cost cutting device. It doesn't me as much as it could because it's usually integrated really well into the flow of the episode.

I'm also a big fan of how continuity editing is used to link time and space in these Takahata shows. Every scene is linked cleanly to another scene where the characters maintain their geographical position, usually. This is especially noticeable after watching something like Chihayafuru where characters start talking in one space and then we magically we cut to a totally separate location but the conversation hasn't skipped a beat. Lots of shows do that because they are lazy.

This episode was clearly made for fans of superior foreheads:

foreheadfans.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom