• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

What's a Buddha-kaya?
I hope it isn't a buddha slayer or some such, because I'd have to facepalm myself to oblivion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Chihayafuru - 01
Seemed quite interesting so far. May be one of the few shows I stick with this season.

Moritasan wa Mukuchi - 14
I blinked and it was over. I have no idea why I even watched this. Clicked on it without even noticing it was episode 14.

Lain

Majikoi 1

As a first episode it entertained me enough. The girls were cool, especially Momoyo (who I like simply because of how she looks) and the main, even though he's a weakling physically, seems to possess both guts and a brain.
I'll keep watching, cheering for Yamato to get with Momoyo (also, Momoyo route for the game got translated! Maybe it's time to give the game a spin).

trejo

Kimi to Boku aka Bro-on 1

Very much unlike its more popular female counterpart, members of the opposite sex do seem to actually exist in this world and akin to it's counterpart, the show utterly fails to engage with me on a basic level and as such I found it to be an absolute bore to watch, which kept me constantly looking at how much of the episode was left until it was over and done. Suffice to say, I very much doubt I'll be following this one.

Also, what was up with all those damn cats?

Lain

Chihayafuru 1

This was genuinely good. Funny little moments, especially during the flashback, some nice characters (both personality-wise as well as look-wise, as in the character art) and a good dose of passion, even if it is for a game I have no clue about.
Arata flaring up for the Kurata game was nice to see, but I especially like Chihaya thanks to her behavior.

jman2050

Enron said:
Crunchyroll started up by uploading a bunch of fansubs and made them available for streaming...........................................for a fee. They were taking other people's subs and charging people to watch them.

Eventually that disgusting behavior got them in hot water.

Just kidding, they were rewarded with companies knocking on their door to host their legit content and stream it.

The whole thing was disgusting.

Fuck CR.

Now that's the type of business acumen Bill Gates would be proud of.

Gankutsuou 11

The visual style of Gankutsuou borders on the garishly ugly at times, but it's used quite effectively for emotional and thematic purposes. In this episode there were three such moments which stood out to me -
Madame Villefort's swirling descent into madness against the imposing figure of her husband, the circular mechanical contraptions at the Count's residence symbolizing the inevitability of the fate he has created, and Eugenie fading away into sepia after Albert learns that their engagement is to be broken off.

Aad

Bartender

The most refreshingly unique anime I've seen in a long time.

I want more, recommend me similar anime please.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aad said:
Bartender

Time of Eve.

Not a perfect fit but by far I think it's the best comp there is for Bartender.

It's also worth watching very much.

Jintor said:
Wow, Baka + Test is genuinely hilarious. I wasn't expecting this.
Completely agree. Tried watching it on netflix and was immediately turned off by the cheesy intro. I tried watching it again later and fell in love with it. Anything with a good love triangle keeps me interested. Really hope they greenlight a third season.

Jintor said:
Wow, Baka + Test is genuinely hilarious. I wasn't expecting this.
The first season, I assume you mean? Yeah, it's pretty funny.

Don't expect season two to be nearly as good, unfortunately (it's partially just not very good and partially turned into a drama for some reason), but it's worth watching if you like the series anyway because even if most of the season is disappointing, the last couple of episodes are more like what it expected from the series. Oh, and the OVAs (they are from this year, released before S2) are alright as well, mostly. I really disliked the final OVA, but the other ones were amusing. I think the first season is the best part of the franchise, though, as far as the anime goes... and yeah, it was pretty good.

iavi

Aad said:
Bartender

In structure, there really aren't many anime's like Bartender. It was almost educational in its goings.

Something like Ristorante Paradiso, or Time of Eve, would be similar in tone--Kinda~ Even they're not as somber.

Gankutsuou 12

Where was the orchestra? How is a pianist supposed to play a piano concerto if she can't make eye contact with the conductor? Had the creators never gone to an orchestral concert before?

I can't say I'm a big fan of the direction in which Eugenie's character was taken. (novel spoilers:
We're not going to see her run away with her piano teacher in a pseudo-lesbian fashion, are we?
) Oh well.

Lain

C3 1

I don't exactly like the art style in this, plus it feels somewhat empty, but the first episode provided some laughs (watching Fear trash the house was pretty entertaining) and there are shiny butts.
I'll keep watching the next episodes.

Ezalc

Aad said:
Bartender

I think Ristorante Paradiso is a good choice.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Gankutsuou 12
We're not going to see her run away with her piano teacher in a pseudo-lesbian fashion, are we?
) Oh well.

No we don't, I also found that to be one of the series' weakpoints.
Also it's not pseudo-lesbian, when Andrea runs away near the end of the novel he busts into their room in the roadside inn and IIRC they were in bed together. So it's pretty obvious what was going on.

Jintor

Trigun: Badlands Stampede is amazing. It's like a lost episode of the original series with 5 times the production values, before it got to the weirdly philosophical ramblings of the finale.

/edit holy shit that Bar Brawl scene was phenomenal

Cloudy

Banned
About to watch Chihayafuru right now. I know nothing about it but it's getting great first impressions on Random Curiosity. I bet I'll like it based off the screenshots though :p

Joule

Phi Brain 1: Yugioh with Puzzles! Wait. If only they were more intriguing than easy sudoku and sliding puzzles. The production seems pretty competent even if the content is lacking. Could be a fun distraction if they get more ridiculous with the puzzles.

Horizon 1: This is going to be so dumb but I can see myself enjoying it. With a cast this large it might as well be a srpg or a fighting game. Hopefully there'll be a ample share of action. Duckhat ninja and noble slimes~

zeroshiki

Joule said:
Horizon 1: This is going to be so dumb but I can see myself enjoying it. With a cast this large it might as well be a srpg or a fighting game. Hopefully there'll be a ample share of action. Duckhat ninja and noble slimes~

Somewhere in Sunrise/Bamco...

Producer: Goddamit, they've seen through our plans!

One Piece 493

Damn, Ace is much more of a douche to Luffy than in the manga. Glad they're fleshing out that relationship a bit in the flashback.

I like Dadan's voice.

Jex

Aad said:
Bartender

You're asking for anime that's similar to Bartender in focus? Because that's not very easy.

If you're asking for anime that's just "unique" that's a bit easier.

Which one is it?

Lain

Heidi 19

This is getting a rerun on tv so I catch an episode once in a while. Didn't remember Heidi's aunt to be such a bitch (the old ladies of the village are worse tho).

Jintor said:
It's seriously been on my bucketlist for years.
Be prepared for an incredible show. I just rewatched it a little over a year ago, and it held up exceptionally well. That's not to say it doesn't have its fair share of problems, but still a wonderful show.

Er, I mean, hi anime GAF. Don't mind me.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
Oops. Glad they stopped doing that.
They don't need too, they won. They won the whole game!
hosannainexcelsis said:
Gankutsuou 12

Where was the orchestra? How is a pianist supposed to play a piano concerto if she can't make eye contact with the conductor? Had the creators never gone to an orchestral concert before?

I can't say I'm a big fan of the direction in which Eugenie's character was taken. (novel spoilers:
) Oh well.
Despite the direction characters are taken by the adaptation I feel that, by the time the conclusion is reached, they have generally been worked out in a satisfying manner.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
They don't need too, they won. They won the whole game!
As someone once said, you either die a villain or you live long enough to see yourself become a hero. I think that's how it goes.

One Piece 494

Gray Terminal seems like a neat place to explore. Just gotta avoid all the disease, murderers and rapists and there's hours of fun to be had.

The scene with the spiked gloves was hard to watch. So brutal o_O

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Working'!! 01:

Not totally sure what's going on here but this feels and looks drastically different than S1. There is definitely a new art direction and for the most part it is for the better. The one glaring exception is the CG stuff
Cars lol
, good lord that is bad. But still a fan of the new styling big time and it feels like it has a higher quality to it than S1 had. There were a ton of wide-angle shots and a bunch of perspective shots in this first episode and they were much more rarer in S1. The wide-angle shots are nice simply because you get the feel of the restaurant, with all the cast of the show working at once rather than the isolated individual components that were basically the focus of the first season.

Beyond visuals the show feels completely different from a tonal perspective. The comedy in this episode was a lot more dry and a lot less in your face. This combines with the shift in visuals which were much more down to earth and realistic in color (read - blander and not over the top) and definitely combines with a huge shift in sound too. There is no background music, it's just sounds you'd expect to hear in a restaurant. This episode felt way more about a ragtag crew of people working in a restaurant than a ragtag crew of people who happened to be in a restaurant which S1 felt like a lot of the time.

All in all I am a big fan of the changes that were present in the first episode of this new season. It's obvious from the get go that the people making this episode are completely different than the first season (if I recall correctly it's got a new director, new art director and new people in charge of sound), although the actual content of the show looks to be pretty much the same. Not being a huge fan of the content in S1, I'm not exactly sure how the drastic change in presentation is going to alter my thoughts on the new season but I'm certainly looking forward to it as it's not going to feel like it's more of the same even if in actuality it is indeed more of the same.

Geneijin

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon - 1

Some awkward dialogue and unneeded lengthy expositions. Besides those obvious problems, this will be a fun show if the exposition doesn't detract too much from the overall pacing. The cast is colorful and shows promise, and the action could be wild. This series has potential.

So what happened in this episode?
Is Tori going to be leading some sort of rebellion? Wait, is the girl in the beginning Horizon's imouto and the Horizon Tori is confessing to her older sister who's dead? And wait, what's this about a looming apocalypse? What, there's going to be a territory war and they're going to reenact/relive the "Warring States" war? Fucking time travel. WHAT. They're rewriting history to fix the problems of the future. What is this magic that allows it? So technically, this is post-apocalypse :LOL

Fucking Sunrise.

Planetes 24

Looks like even Tanabe isn't immune to temptation. Can't really blame her considering the situation. Really cranking up the tension lately. Wasn't expecting this going into the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
cosmicblizzard said:
Planetes 24

Looks like even Tanabe isn't immune to temptation. Can't really blame her considering the situation. Really cranking up the tension lately. Wasn't expecting this going into the show.
Character arc tone whiplash!

Lain

Horizon 1

Liked this a lot. Lots of action, some funny banter (I like Aoi Tori's sister) and the douche, tori, is just too good to be true,
showing up late because he had to stand in line to buy an erotic game, and candidly telling it to everyone there with that smug face while boasting he can't wait to go home and install it to his PC so he can bawl like a baby while being a perv... he's great, simply great.
This show doesn't disappoint, both in entertainment value as well as boobies value, too bad the fondling got censored!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom