• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
giri said:
You forget, Detroit is up for sale, Charloette just got sold, Wariors just got sold, New Orleans can't find a buyer (in NO). There's plenty of these guys who have gotten out of it purely because it's a loss. Kings are moving and rebranding. That's 5 teams. And OKC Just moved/got sold 2 or 3 years ago.

Then you have guys like sterling that turns players over because he won't pay them, because that would drive the clippers into a loss making situation.

So a lot of owners ARE getting out of the whole thing.

The lakers are the exception to the rule, and the knicks (god knows how) seem to be also, charging the highest ticket prices in the league. The run on the large market theory, and reap the rewards of it. There's only one team in the league with a $3b tv rights deal, not 30.

Did you see how much Charlotte and GSW got sold? They are making money. My point was that these franchises wouldn't be able to sell at these prices if they weren't making money.

I totally believe Detroit is one of the few teams losing money because that city is pretty messed up right now. And NOH is defintely not making money. I'm not claiming there are no teams losing money, but I don't believe it's widespread or close to $300 million.

Sterling doesn't turn players over because of that. He does it because he's risk averse. If the Clippers were a contender, they'd make a lot of money even with a high payroll. This is Los Angeles. We pay the McCourts more than anyone to see them put out the Dodgers despite a lower payroll than what it should be. But if Sterling did try to contend, he runs the risk of failing and getting the high payroll and making less money (but still making money!) than sucking and drawing fans in with false hope.

And I know Lakers are an exception, but it's still $300 million a year. Whatever it is for other teams, it's still high. That's my point. Very few teams are losing money. The reality is that if teams were losing money we wouldn't be seeing these terrible contracts and sales of franchises for many more times their purchase value (adjusted for inflation).

90% of the time when a team says it is "losing money," what it's really saying is "I'm making less profit this year." They fudge the books around to make it look like a loss. What this CBA is truly about is the owners want to protect themselves from themselves to reduce risk so when bad contracts happen, they don't diminish growth/earning potential for too long.

Guys it only takes very basic math to understand that the Spurs have nearly no shot of losing HCA for the playoffs. Why are we still talking about this.

They could go 4-8 the rest of the way and theyd still get it.

The Crimson Blur said:
Guys it only takes very basic math to understand that the Spurs have nearly no shot of losing HCA for the playoffs. Why are we still talking about this.

Lakers not gonna lose another game this season! u scurred.

dream

The Crimson Blur said:

If they play the Lakers in the WCF, would they have home court in any game of the series?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
SephCast said:
This is like a realgm overreaction. Calm down, your team is still really good and will trek through the next two weeks. I highly doubt you'll lose HCA.

:lolface

We can beat the elite teams without Duncan. Seriously..he scores like 5 points vs good teams. The exception was the last game in Dallas. Duncan is only effective when Manu is having a shitty shooting night.

giri

Black Mamba said:
Did you see how much Charlotte and GSW got sold? They are making money. My point was that these franchises wouldn't be able to sell at these prices if they weren't making money.

I totally believe Detroit is one of the few teams losing money because that city is pretty messed up right now. And NOH is defintely not making money. I'm not claiming there are no teams losing money, but I don't believe it's widespread or close to $300 million.

Sterling doesn't turn players over because of that. He does it because he's risk averse. If the Clippers were a contender, they'd make a lot of money even with a high payroll. This is Los Angeles. We pay the McCourts more than anyone to see them put out the Dodgers despite a lower payroll than what it should be. But if Sterling did try to contend, he runs the risk of failing and getting the high payroll and making less money (but still making money!) than sucking and drawing fans in with false hope.

And I know Lakers are an exception, but it's still $300 million a year. Whatever it is for other teams, it's still high. That's my point. Very few teams are losing money. The reality is that if teams were losing money we wouldn't be seeing these terrible contracts and sales of franchises for many more times their purchase value (adjusted for inflation).

90% of the time when a team says it is "losing money," what it's really saying is "I'm making less profit this year." They fudge the books around to make it look like a loss. What this CBA is truly about is the owners want to protect themselves from themselves to reduce risk so when bad contracts happen, they don't diminish growth/earning potential for too long.

Sterling won't retain rooks or even GOOD role players, if he thinks they won't make the play offs and build up assets, he turns them over as soon as he thinks he can get similar productions for less (which invariably fails time and time again). Sterling runs the clips for profit unless they're in the play offs.

Those teams got sold for that much for several reasons. potential to make a proft, and recouping of losses. The carloette trade in particular was that high, as the previous owner was trying to recoup money he'd poured in, and never got back. Thats why the sale took so long, he wanted $400M odd for it, to recover ALL the losses.

The kings are most Certainly losing moeny, Sonics lost money for years.

Some of them are bought by people with FAR too much money as play things, Cuban, Allen. The guy who bought the W's is in that situation, and Balmer is basically eyeing off NOH for that reason. They're happy to make a loss, it doesn't mean everyone else is.

There's a lot more costs that goes into these teams than just the on cour salary. Sarver wouldn't up the salary for the receptionists because he was worried about how much he was going to have to spend on Amare, and the resulting bottom line. There's the chartered flights around the country, hotels, scouts, towel boys, uniforms, practice facilities. There's a good reason why teams are doing "shared" try outs these days, and it's to cut costs.

Nope, i really think that there could be 10 teams easily, that are losing money. Doesn't meant they're all looking to sell up over it though. You seem to think just because the asking price is high, that it's still a profit making asset, it doesn't. NOH is losing money and the NBA bought it for $300M, same as the charloette deal iirc. If all these teams were making SO much money, they wouldn't be sold in the first place.

Derwind

The Crimson Blur said:
Of course we would!

(MVP chants for Kobe in the playoffs would make me flip a shit lol...)

So the Cavs are so low on the list they don't even make the bottom five? Damn!

At least Toronto's above the Timberwolves & Kings, we still haven't hit rock bottom.....I'll still cheer my team the one day I don't want to strangle Colangelo's neck.

Free Triano

giri said:
Sterling won't retain rooks or even GOOD role players, if he thinks they won't make the play offs and build up assets, he turns them over as soon as he thinks he can get similar productions for less (which invariably fails time and time again). Sterling runs the clips for profit unless they're in the play offs.

Those teams got sold for that much for several reasons. potential to make a proft, and recouping of losses. The carloette trade in particular was that high, as the previous owner was trying to recoup money he'd poured in, and never got back. Thats why the sale took so long, he wanted $400M odd for it, to recover ALL the losses.

Some of them are bought by people with FAR too much money as play things, Cuban, Allen. The guy who bought the W's is in that situation, and Balmer is basically eyeing off NOH for that reason. They're happy to make a loss, it doesn't mean everyone else is.

There's a lot more costs that goes into these teams than just the on cour salary. Sarver wouldn't up the salary for the receptionists because he was worried about how much he was going to have to spend on Amare, and the resulting bottom line. There's the chartered flights around the country, hotels, scouts, towel boys, uniforms, practice facilities. There's a good reason why teams are doing "shared" try outs these days, and it's to cut costs.

Nope, i really think that there could be 10 teams easily, that are losing money. Doesn't meant they're all looking to sell up over it though. You seem to think just because the asking price is high, that it's still a profit making asset, it doesn't. NOH is losing money and the NBA bought it for $300M, same as the charloette deal iirc. If all these teams were making SO much money, they wouldn't be sold in the first place.

All businesses try to cut costs, that's not a shock.

They'd be sold if they're making money but the profits were not as high and the owners are old and want to go away.

As with any business, it's not what they say but rather what they do. NOH was losing money, this was evident by their deals. But other teams? they wouldn't add payroll on like that if they couldn't afford it.

Detroit just a couple games ago donated all gate receipts an in stadium receipts for a game to a charity, something they do every year for 5 years now. They could afford that and their team is considered one of the worst ones right now, financially.

Teams have added payroll and operating costs all the while. This is America. What people say is almost always bullshit. What matters is what people actually are doing. You can't trust the books in this country, either.

Stern claimed doom and gloom last season, if you recall. When more official numbers were crunched this past off-season, his claims ended up being way off and teams actually had more income than the previous year!

edit: as for the maloofs, the kings aren't a problem at all (I even had a friend who once worked for em). The issue is their Vegas investments are losing money badly. That's why they want to move, their entire portfolio sucks right now and the Kings can be improved but not the other stuff.

So you guys spent the last few pages dissecting how the Lakers could crush various fanbases by prying away their once-in-a-decade franchise players and now you guys are on about how awesome it would be to see the league deteriorate to the point that Laker fans take up the majority of the seats in one of your biggest rivals' stadium.

And you wonder why they call you bitch.

Was about to sleep until I saw the Bulls highlights. Then decided to come here to post "DAT RUN N GUN." Now time for sleep, Night NBAGAF.

P.S. Would Scottie Pippen's wife.
larsa-pippen-pic_355x542.jpg

Omiee

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Was about to sleep until I saw the Bulls highlights. Then decided to come here to post "DAT RUN N GUN." Now time for sleep, Night NBAGAF.

P.S. Would Scottie Pippen's wife.
larsa-pippen-pic_355x542.jpg

she seems short, would though

viakado said:
ps-pippen wins again, mike.

KWjRi.jpg

edit:

The New York Knicks oversold Anthony, and it’s little surprise that he’s underdelivered. This was the kind of night Anthony hasn’t been wired to withstand, the ferocity of the Boston Celtics trampling the Knicks with a furious fourth-quarter bludgeoning. Suddenly, the Knicks found themselves crumbling under a champion’s resolve, the Celtics responding to a word that Doc Rivers had never needed to use until his halftime diatribe: soft.

Carmelo Anthony had come to New York plastered on the side of billboards and buildings, but here were the Boston Celtics – here was a burden so far unfulfilled – leaving him hunched over and bleeding in the middle of Madison Square Garden. Carmelo Anthony will never be a savior for the Knicks, but it will be on him to become something far more admirable here: a survivor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?sl..._wilts_under_burden_of_carrying_knicks_032111

Dat Woj.

Zep

Banned
Stoudemire’s transformed everything because it was important to him. He hated the labels as a non-leader, an uninspired defender and rebounder.

Lol, leave it to Woj to make shit up to drive home another point. Like he still don't _________________ at the latter two.

overcast

Can't wait to see the rockets pull off the most incredible run of games stretching from march to june. Ripping through the west, then beating the Bulls in the finals.

Pkaz01

It seems like for some reason Woj has always liked amare. Ever since he was with the suns Woj has never ripped into him even when amare presented opportunities to do so.

I do agree with him in that article though and I don't really get the hate. He might be over dramatic but he does have a point. Maybe it is cause I never really like Carmelo but he has never been a leader and even in denver the team didn't become good until Chauncey changed it up. Melo just comes off as another diva from this new superstar era.

linsivvi

Forceatowulf said:
Can't wait for the MVP chants when Kobe is closing the Spurs out in San Antonio in game 6 of the WCF.

My body is ready.

Game 6 in San Antonio? You seriously expect the Lakers to beat the Spurs' regular season record?

Ninja Scooter said:
You should get your computer checked out. It seems to put a 6 when you hit the 4 key.

Yeah game 4 would be in LA.

Omiee

Forceatowulf said:
Really? That's the first thing you noticed when looking at that picture?

she's not that good looking if you ask me.

watching the boston knicks game on demand, pretty good game.

Meier

So I was looking at the scoring leader list and checked Kevin Martin since he's tied wight Dwight for 10th in the league this year... one thing struck me. Why does this guy only play 32 minutes a game? That's pretty impressive efficiency.

Meier said:
So I was looking at the scoring leader list and checked Kevin Martin since he's tied wight Dwight for 10th in the league this year... one thing struck me. Why does this guy only play 32 minutes a game? That's a pretty impressive efficiency.

One of the worst defenders in the league
Refs usually won't let him go to the line off flops in the clutch

Meier

Btw, I'm sure it's old news to many on here but this movie stock IPO'ed on HSX yesterday. I'm kinda interested since Malcolm D. Lee is directing and Undercover Brother remains a favorite of mine:

Ballers
Lebron James is taking his talents to the big screen for the comedy Ballers. Five men attend a Fantasy Basketball Camp in Las Vegas and end up dragging the NBA superstar into their personal life crises. Malcolm D. Lee directs from a script by Lowell Ganz, Babaloo Mandel and Peter Steinfeld.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Grizzlies small forward Rudy Gay will miss the rest of this season after a second opinion on his partially dislocated left shoulder determined that the injury requires surgery.
Just give San Antonio a bye. They're going to crush Houston or Phoenix.

KingGondo

Banned
Rodeo Clown said:
Just give San Antonio a bye. They're going to crush Houston or Phoenix.
Damn, tough break for the Grizz.

Not like they're really ever going anywhere with that management, but Gay had really redeemed his reputation between the FIBAs and the start of this season.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
giri said:

Sonics lost money due to a shitty arena and a fan base who wouldn't put with drafting Sene 10th...

Celsior said:
God damn Kincks, you guys suck so much.

:(

Yeah, they do...Knicks have no idea how to use their once again mismatched pieces, and once again they are structurally flawed in ways that are antithetical to winning a basketball game:

- Knicks are undersized tremendously, which means
- Knicks cannot rebound effectively, which means
- Opposition gets easy baskets and extra possessions because
- Knicks cannot defend, especially in the interior.

The tallest player the Knicks have is Ared Effries at 6'11". The other "centers" we have are Turiaf and Franklin the Turtle at 6'10" and 6'9" respectively. Amare has to play center, but never should. The Knicks have like, 27 swingmen/SFs, but no shooting guard that can play off the ball except for the rookie Landry Fields. Carmelo Anthony has joined a motion/run-and-gun offense that requires him to move around and move the ball around - 2 things he is not predisposed to doing on the court. The 2.5 PGs we have - Billups, Douglas, and Carter - are not quick enough to pick their heads up and move that ball into the front court when we have pick and rolls/motion. Felton, ironically, would be in god mode right now moving the ball to STAT and Anthony on pick and rolls or screens up the court.

This year will be exactly what it was going to be before the Anthony trade - we'll probably make the playoffs, we'll probably win some games and shock some people, we'll have a little excitement, and that'll be that. It is going to be what happens in this offseason - if there even is one - that decides what the future will hold. I'm not worried right now, but it's really frustrating to keep accepting losing under the guise of "they're sorting new players out, and the coach is learning to adjust with new parts". I've been doing that shit for way too long now. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom