• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp

open_mouth_ said:
D'antoni's system broken down for those who find it too complicated (like Billups):

-it's a seven seconds or less system, which means if you have a deep contested shot with no floor balance for offensive rebounds or transition defense, you absolutely take it. That is, you take it so long as you don't have Amare running down the court so you can hit him in stride and watch him run over his defender.

-then once you get into the half-court set, it becomes a set with virtually limitless options:

1) you have the PG on the floor run a psych out pick and roll with Amare or Jeffries that achieves absolutely nothing except to shuffle guys around to different spots. Then from there, you pass it to Fields or Williams in the corner so they could pump fake to give the defender a chance to close out on them. From there, with a few seconds left on the clock, you hit Amare or 'Melo on a high post near the three point line so they can take a turnaround jumper or drive into four ready defenders for a wild heave. once they miss, and this is beautiful part, they have to give the closest ref an earful as they walk back up the floor to get a perfect view a 5 on 4 fastbreak layup on the other side.

2) the other play, which is just as good, has 'Melo or Amare post their man up in an attack position near the three-point line. From here, they can pump fake a few times and launch a jumper or they could hold the ball a few seconds as they watch Fields run from one baseline to the next before they put the ball on the floor as the four other defenders shift to cut them off. If they can avoid the offensive foul here or don't get the ball swiped away as the side of their face is pushing against their opponents chest, they have the option of giving the ball back to Billups or Douglas so they can break down their defender and make it all the way to the three-point line for a heave, chuck and duck style. Everyone knows three is better than two, after all.

-you may be thinking "that's not a complicated system at all" but you'd be wrong. Most coaches call a time-out when the other team scores a dozen unanswered, but in this system, you let the five out there figure it out on the fly. They'll work the ball around the perimeter for a good 20 seconds while they contemplate their next plan of attack. It's genius.

-It's all about keeping the opponent guessing. That's why you have to keep changing who starts at center every other game. If they expect Jeffries, give them Shawne. Once they are ready for that, give them Turiaf. If he's playing well, don't let them gameplan for that. Bring out Jeffries again to throw them off the scent. Even coming out of the half-time break, come out with a different line-up. Tell Fields he's not small enough to play small ball effectively. Dwight expects to get bodied up and fouled hard by Turiaf and Shelden, but put Shawne on him instead because he's never had a guy that short trying to guard him. He won't know what to do. Plus on the other end, he won't know how to defend Shawne's corner three's. It's like taking candy from a 7-foot baby.

-And seven seconds or less is not just for the offensive end. On the defensive end, just get after it for the first seven seconds before revving it down. It's like rocky. Use your face to absorb the punches and wear your opponent down while you conserve energy to hit back later on the other end. And that "or" should really be an "and" so you can also literally give "less" of everything--effort, hustle, rebounding, contesting.
This is amazing :heatbench

If Blake Griffin can't beat the Raptors with 4.5 healthy players on the second game of a back to back on his home court the night after they got blown out by 40 and one of their players refused to enter the game, I'm calling him a fraud for all time.

Cloudy said:
Pretty much every one. I value elite-level scoring over every other skill and it's rare to find a guy who can give you that from anywhere on the court. Melo also has the size to score inside and doesn't need to pound the ball as much as other scorers cos he has a good jumpshot. He also helps you on the glass and is one of the few top-scorers who can even dream of guarding LeBron.

Also, I don't really like teams with the PG as the best player. You don't want your PG dominating your scoring but you don't want your best player passing up shots either!

I guess I would only take Deron if I had many rotation players who couldn't create their own shot or I already had a guy better than him on the team.

ps: Deron is my 2nd favorite player (Melo 3rd)

I would take my chances with Deron and that I could find someone that could replicate 70% of Melo's impact, rather than the other way around. Both are very good players, but it's a lot easier to find a scoring SF than a dynamic PG.

Ninja Scooter said:
but it's a lot easier to find a scoring SF than a dynamic PG.

lol, no it's not. There are six SFs in the league (Maybe 7 with Iggy, but he seems more of a playmaker than a scorer) that can score and there far more dynamic point guards.

Cloudy

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
but it's a lot easier to find a scoring SF than a dynamic PG.

That's usually true but not in todays' NBA. There are more guys comparable to Deron than Melo right now. What other SFs have elite-level inside, mid-range and long-range games?

Derwind

I meant in terms of overall rating, Melo is higher than Deron.

As for defense, yes Melo's defensive game is non-existent but thats not why you bring him into the game either. He's a clutch shooter who can create from nearly every area on the court. He's a high volume, decent efficiency shooter going with a nearly 50% FG career percentage. He has a killer first step.

Thats also his biggest weakness aside from defense.

He needs the ball on him a good margin of the time to be effective. Unless he improves upon that somehow, he's not going to be as effective as one would wish, playing alongside A'mare.

I won't bash Deron because I like his game and while he's not a Melo offensively, his game can work anywhere and on any team. Thats the beauty of it. He's not a selfish player, he's strong for a PG, he's got a decent mid to long range jumper, pretty efficient FG%. Great court vision.

But like I said before, he's a high caliber player but he's no Melo. :shrug

thekad

Banned
linsivvi said:
Rose is clearly the MVP favorite with Carmelo a close second.

...joke post...right?

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
lol, no it's not. There are six SFs in the league (Maybe 7 with Iggy, but he seems more of a playmaker than a scorer) that can score and there far more dynamic point guards.

Who?

Mo Williams banged his head on the floor hard, possibly a minor concussion (made a huge thud) but he's staying in the game. DON'T FUCK THIS UP CLIPPERS

BINGOOOO ERIC GORDON

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

I guess it came out wrong, I didn't just mean the elite level players. I mean, there's a lot more elite SFs than C's, but does that make Dwight more valueable than Lebron. What I mean is would you rather have a A+ point guard (Deron) and find someone to play SF at B/C level, or a A+ scoring SF (Melo) and find a B/C level PG? I'd take the A+ point guard. Easier to build around and more impactful.

Derwind

LiveFromKyoto said:
Mo puts them up 4 aaaaaannnndd the entire Toronto team hangs their head in unison. They know, I know, we all know. This baby's done.

It was over whenever we let a team back within 5......

The tank is just too strong for us to overcome....

Ninja Scooter said:
I guess it came out wrong, I didn't just mean the elite level players. I mean, there's a lot more elite SFs than C's, but does that make Dwight more valueable than Lebron. What I mean is would you rather have a A+ point guard (Deron) and find someone to play SF at B/C level, or a A+ scoring SF (Melo) and find a B/C level PG? I'd take the A+ point guard. Easier to build around and more impactful.

I would rather have a PG than a SF, but position importance goes:

1. C

2. SG

3. PF
4. PG
5. SF

So, I don't think it makes that big of a different of an impact which of the two positions you build around (Since you generally shouldn't be building around those positions). I would rather have Deron though because he's better.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

1. C

2. SG

3. PF
4. PG
5. SF

So, I don't think it makes that big of a different of an impact which of the two positions you build around (Since you generally shouldn't be building around those positions). I would rather have Deron though because he's better.

VRjTj.jpg

Derwind said:
It was over whenever we let a team back within 5......

The tank is just too strong for us to overcome....

When the power of the tank comes up against the power of the Raptors shooting themselves in the foot, I tend to lean foot.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
dream said:
Wow. This girlball player "missed all of last season with cancer."

Take that, Blazers.

this girl on Oklahoma's team tore her ACL then had microfracture surgery the same year and came back. They mentioned it was the same surgery Greg Oden had...I lawl'd

dream

jobber said:
this girl on Oklahoma's team tore her ACL then had microfracture surgery the same year and came back. They mentioned it was the same surgery Greg Oden had...I lawl'd

Meanwhile we have to watch Timmy sit out with a hangnail. And Shaq's been nursing a papercut for 2 months.

jobber said:

it's not like you need healthy knees to play women's basketball. Even healthy they barely jump.

Also:

t1_shaq.jpg

dream

ESPN just told me the Knicks are 2-8 against teams below .500 since Melo arrived.

At least New York Basketball is Relevant Again.

On Saturday, Williams delivered a Tweet about Derek Fisher in obvious reference to the confrontation at the end of the game.

"If yall didn't know, D Fish is the Hines Ward of the NBA," wrote Williams. "I don't know if that's a compliment or not. But don't let that nice guy fool u."

:lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Cloudy said:
How is Deron a better player than Melo? Knicks are struggling cos they probably gave up too much for a guy who would've come over anyways but cmon...

One is a pass-first PG and the other is a scoring SF. What exactly is the issue here?

The issue is that the Knicks ignored a player who is one of the highest (the highest?) effective scorers in the league right now. Carmelo is not. Bringing in DWill would've allowed the Knicks to sacrifice less, retain an established unit, retain some height, as well as bring in a player that is always looking out for the team around him.

Gigglepoo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

1. C
2. SG
3. PF
4. PG
5. SF

I guess you weren't here for the big discussion about the impact of power forwards through the years. It's rare to win a title if your best player is a power forward. The only recent examples are the Tim Duncan's Spurs and (maybe) the last Celtics' title. That last one is arguable, though.

BTW - Center and Point Guard are the two most important positions. Everything else is essentially interchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom