• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-will
Fields
Gallo
Amar'e
Turiaf

is better than

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Turiaf

And I think they could have traded Felton + Chandler + wtvr to get it done perhaps. Maybe even Curry +Randolph for AK47.

Carmelo is NOT and elite basketball player. Good one, all-star quality sure, but NOT elite.

Cloudy's arguments the past 2 pages make my brain hurt. lol @ kobe in the MVP conversation.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I don't even think they would've traded that much for just DWill. Felton + Randolph + Curry contract would've been enough. And it wouldn't have surprised me if we were able to get away with trading scrubs + money for DWill. I also think the Knicks were stupid as fuck for waiving Corey Brewer. In any case this would've been an awesome starting line:

Amar'e (C)
Fields (SG)
Gallo (SF)
DWill (PG)
Chandler (PF)

If you want a harder D-game off the bat, I'd use Jeffries in place of Gallo to make early contact plays for effective turnovers, and good screens. It'd help get points up early on the board, which is key for the D'Antoni system.

Black Mamba said:
D-will
Fields
Gallo
Amar'e
Turiaf

is better than

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amar'e
Turiaf

And I think they could have traded Felton + Chandler + wtvr to get it done perhaps. Maybe even Curry +Randolph for AK47.

Carmelo is NOT and elite basketball player. Good one, all-star quality sure, but NOT elite.

Cloudy's arguments the past 2 pages make my brain hurt. lol @ kobe in the MVP conversation.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Do the Knicks get to .500+ (ie, 42+ wins) before the end of the season? They'd have to finish 7-2.

These are their upcoming opponents:

ORL, NJN, CLE, TOR, PHI, NJN, IND, CHI, BOS

I say no. Also,

geezchauncey.gif

Kogepan

reilo said:
Do the Knicks get to .500+ (ie, 42+ wins) before the end of the season? They'd have to finish 7-2.

These are their upcoming opponents:

ORL, NJN, CLE, TOR, PHI, NJN, IND, CHI, BOS

I say no. Also,

geezchauncey.gif

So now its D'antonis fault for restricting Carmelo to ONLY 40 minutes?

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=6262617

Idiots like Sheridan need to shut the fuck up. He was one of the biggest proponents of bringing a big 'name' like Carmelo to the Knicks even though anyone with 1/2 a brain realizes he is a terrible fit with Amare. So now he's making all kinds of excuses and throwing the coach under the bus? Where were these comments BEFORE the trade??? Oh yeh, they actually had depth before they pissed it all away for that fraud.

Kogepan

AlphaSnake said:
I don't even think they would've traded that much for just DWill. Felton + Randolph + Curry contract would've been enough. And it wouldn't have surprised me if we were able to get away with trading scrubs + money for DWill. I also think the Knicks were stupid as fuck for waiving Corey Brewer. In any case this would've been an awesome starting line:

Amar'e (C)
Fields (SG)
Gallo (SF)
DWill (PG)
Chandler (PF)

If you want a harder D-game off the bat, I'd use Jeffries in place of Gallo to make early contact plays for effective turnovers, and good screens. It'd help get points up early on the board, which is key for the D'Antoni system.

They would have been better off trading NOBODY and using all their cap space for Tyson Chandler. And if that didn't work out maybe rolling the dice with a guy like Robin Lopez.

It justs bugs the HELL out of me that the Knicks would go to all the trouble to find a good combination in Felton/Amare...and then just blow the whole thing up for some 'big star'.

masud

Banned
Could y'all stop talking about this alternate reality where the Knicks traded for DWill? Y'all are depressing the shit out of me.

Gabyskra

Banned
masud said:
Could y'all stop talking about this alternate reality where the Knicks traded for DWill? Y'all are depressing the shit out of me.

Let's talk about the reality of the Knicks having an efficient PG in Ray Felton... He's the one the team might miss the most. It's all about attitude. They've always needed players who care more than others even if they weren't the very best (à la Ewing). The nonchalance of Melo in such times is maddening.

Puddles

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
I guess it came out wrong, I didn't just mean the elite level players. I mean, there's a lot more elite SFs than C's, but does that make Dwight more valueable than Lebron?

Dwight >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Knicks lost again? For real? Damn...

Well, at least the Eastern conference will be continuing it's storied tradition of having a bunch of below .500 ball clubs taking up playoff spots they don't deserve and serving no purpose other than being first round fodder.

I thought for sure with the majority of the upper echelon stars being in the East now that it would change some things. Maybe I just wanted to believe.

At least one PF won the title as the best player on his team in the last 20 years (KG), no PG has won the title as a top 2 player on his team in the last 20 years. I can't see how it's an important position.

AlphaSnake said:
The issue is that the Knicks ignored a player who is one of the highest (the highest?) effective scorers in the league right now. Carmelo is not. Bringing in DWill would've allowed the Knicks to sacrifice less, retain an established unit, retain some height, as well as bring in a player that is always looking out for the team around him.

Everyone valued and still values the Nets' package more and the Knicks' players can't really be attributed to their success considering that Felton and Chandler haven't been that good and Gallinari has been injured for most of the time since the trade. The player who's arguably played the best who was traded away from the Knicks is Magic, but the Knicks had destroyed his trade value so I don't think any team other than the Wolves would be interested. The Nuggets getting better is more about the subtraction of Billups and Melo than addition.

Darkman M

I gotta agree with itwasmeantobe on this one, there are many great PG's in the game now. Rose,Paul,Deron,Rondo,Westbrook,Nash,Parker and many good level PG's in the game. C & SG are by far the rarest positions to land great players now.

DCX

DCX
masud said:
Felton
Wilson
Gallo
AR
Mozgov

That's a decent team we traded for one player. Its at least Raptor good. fml
Speaking of, Bargs is available...seems like a perfect fit for these shitty Knicks.

DCX

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/news/story?id=6262138

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Dwyane Wade and LeBron James tried a different sort of courtside view on Saturday night.

At tennis.

The Miami Heat stars showed up at the Sony Ericsson Open to be part of a coin toss before world No. 1 Rafael Nadal played against Japan's Kei Nishikori. Wade's two sons, Zaire -- the actual flipper of the coin -- and Zion, were there as well, on the court for handshakes from Nadal and a quick photo or two just before the match.

"There's certain things in Miami that guys should experience," Wade said. "So I had to drag LeBron out here, but I think this is something he'll probably come back to next year and come back for years after that. This is a good experience. It's something different and it's a great day off, getting over here with the kids."

Wade's sons were handed oversized tennis balls as they entered the stadium, and immediately, they started dribbling them like basketballs.

"Anything that bounces, they're good to go," Wade said.

I hope the little Dwyanes end up being superior basketball players to the little Jefferies

It's funny how the Knicks are locked the fuck up salary wise despite the Lakers somehow being able to cheese the system with an extra 20 + million to grab guys like Ron and Lamar.

And people know I love the Lakers but this system is on some bullshit...

charsace

People on here said I was crazy for not wanting to give up all those guys for melo. Look at us now. Fucking garbage. Gallo will be an allstar I can see it. Fuck.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Dark FaZe said:
It's funny how the Knicks are locked the fuck up salary wise despite the Lakers somehow being able to cheese the system with an extra 20 + million to grab guys like Ron and Lamar.

And people know I love the Lakers but this system is on some bullshit...
The exceptions are going to go away with the next CBA. The owners are going to crush the players with this CBA: hard cap, lower salaries, less guaranteed money. They're just going to hold out until they get it, and they will. Eventually, the players will cave because 3/4 the league is paycheck to paycheck.

well good bye mid level exception for the heat

big 3+jesus+udonis+minimum levels futar!

isn't it basically the birds right shit the reason the lakers have been able to get all this?

ph33nix said:

isn't it basically the birds right shit the reason the lakers have been able to get all this?

Yes, the main loophole in the current CBA for big market teams is that you can buildup expiring contracts through the draft and then trade those expirings for semi-stars on teams going nowhere and then keep creating more expirings to get stars while retaining the players you acquired. It's pretty lame. Bird Right's should only be available for two players per team and contracts should be the length where expirings don't matter in trades.

charsace

Rodeo Clown said:
The exceptions are going to go away with the next CBA. The owners are going to crush the players with this CBA: hard cap, lower salaries, less guaranteed money. They're just going to hold out until they get it, and they will. Eventually, the players will cave because 3/4 the league is paycheck to paycheck.
I doubt it. Unlike football players will go to europe. And there are some rich Europeans that will pay big money to put together a rockstar superteam.

Rodeo Clown

ph33nix said:

Bird rights on their own players, and MLE and Bi-Annual Exception for free agents.

Based on what I've been reading, the owners want to make it so they can retain their own players. So there will probably be some sort of new incentive for that (more money, years), but those exceptions are going away.

17 of 30 teams lost money last season. The economics of the NBA are busted.

Rodeo Clown

charsace said:
I doubt it. Unlike football players will go to europe. And there are some rich Europeans that will pay big money to put together a rockstar superteam.
You've said this before, and you can keep saying this, but it doesn't make it true. Euroleague teams don't have that kind of cash.

Juan Carlos Navarro has one of the biggest contracts in all of the Euroleague and he makes 3 million Euros a year. Ricky Rubio is making 900K Euros this season. These crazy rich teams, owners with deep pockets, do not exist.

Parting Shot: Presumptive MVP
Israel Gutierrez is wondering why everyone seems to be handing Derrick Rose the MVP

UMADBRO?

sorry. The best thing for the bulls would be for Rose NOT to win the MVP.

charsace

Rodeo Clown said:
You've said this before, and you can keep saying this, but it doesn't make it true. Euroleague teams don't have that kind of cash.

Juan Carlos Navarro has one of the biggest contracts in all of the Euroleague and he makes 3 million Euros a year. Ricky Rubio is making 900K Euros this season. These crazy rich teams, owners with deep pockets, do not exist.
There's a huge difference between Navarro and Lebron James. There are rich owners that will pay top NBA superstar big bucks. Josh Childress got a 3 year 20million contract tax free. He was making more money than a lot of NBA guys. I can see a star player getting 20mill a year tax free.

Kogepan

charsace said:
There's a huge difference between Navarro and Lebron James. There are rich owners that will pay top NBA superstar big bucks. Josh Childress got a 3 year 20million contract tax free. He was making more money than a lot of NBA guys. I can see a star player getting 20mill a year tax free.

I dont think a basketball star can get that kind of money in Europe...

I doubt Messi/Ronaldo could suddenly earn 20 million a year in the US just because they are 'stars'

Rodeo Clown

charsace said:
I can see a star player getting 20mill a year tax free.
From who? You keep saying this money is there, who are these people? Who are these mystery billionare Europeans guys who also happen to own basketball teams?

To this point, nobody like that exists. The economics of the Euroleague don't allow for people to throw around money like that. These teams play like 45 games a year in tiny arenas that any D1 college school would scoff at.

charsace

Kogepan said:
I dont think a basketball star can get that kind of money in Europe...

I doubt Messi/Ronaldo could suddenly earn 20 million a year in the US just because they are 'stars'
The average salary for old, washed up Beckham was 6.5mill even though MLS average salary is 1 mill. And he only got paid that because of his name. A prime NBA player can get 20mill a year.

SamuraiX-

Nothing like waking up and already knowing the opposing team's point guard is probably stylin' on the Kings this morning before I even turn on the TV.

Gigglepoo said:
I guess you weren't here for the big discussion about the impact of power forwards through the years. It's rare to win a title if your best player is a power forward. The only recent examples are the Tim Duncan's Spurs and (maybe) the last Celtics' title. That last one is arguable, though.

BTW - Center and Point Guard are the two most important positions. Everything else is essentially interchangeable.

If your team is as stacked as the 08 Celtics were, position doesn't matter so much.

Gabyskra

Banned
charsace said:
The average salary for old, washed up Beckham was 6.5mill even though MLS average salary is 1 mill. And he only got paid that because of his name. A prime NBA player can get 20mill a year.

What are you talking about? It makes no sense. 20 million a year is like 3 times the entire budget of the best French basketball team (the WHOLE BUDGET, not just salaries). Spanish, Italian and Greek teams have more money but nothing like that. And your logic is so flawed... What does the MLS have to do with anything?

charsace

Rodeo Clown said:
So the fundamental economics of the Euroleague are going to change because you say so. Got it.
Josh Childress, a bench player, was making 6.7 million a year tax free. Do you really think Lebron can't get 20mill tax free? He is considered to be the best player in the world. You would be a fool to think he couldn't get it when a bench player goes over there and gets 6.7 million tax free. 6.7 million is more than most NBA players make after taxes. I'm sure someone would pay Lebron that and even more to be the face man to pimp whatever his main business is.

Gabyskra

Banned
charsace said:
Josh Childress, a bench player, was making 6.7 million a year tax free. Do you really think Lebron can't get 20mill tax free? He is considered to be the best player in the world. You would be a fool to think he couldn't get it when a bench player goes over there and gets 6.7 million tax free. 6.7 million is more than most NBA players make after taxes. I'm sure someone would pay Lebron that and even more to be the face man to pimp whatever his main business is.

That's not how it works. Childress got the same kind of deal Dominique Wilkins got back in 1996, as in the one contract the odd NBA player will get. He turned out to be far from the best player in the continent. James would get the same kind of contract. Feel free to come over at some point but 'til then, don't talk nonsense. Nobody has 20M for one basketball player. They might have 5M€ yeah sure, but that's for one crazy investment.

Rodeo Clown

Gabyskra said:
What are you talking about? It makes no sense. 20 million a year is like 3 times the entire budget of the best French basketball team (the WHOLE BUDGET, not just salaries). Spanish, Italian and Greek teams have more money but nothing like that. And your logic is so flawed... What does the MLS have to do with anything?
Thank you. The small arenas, the short season, basketball being a second tier sport at best, they don't allow for 20 million Euros for one player. The highest paid player in all of the Euroleague makes less than 5 million Euros.

charsace

Gabyskra said:
That's not how it works. Childress got the same kind of deal Dominique Wilkins got back in 1996, as in the one contract the odd NBA player will get. He turned out to be far from the best player in the continent. James would get the same kind of contract. Feel free to come over at some point but 'til then, don't talk nonsense. Nobody has 20M for one basketball player. They might have 5M€ yeah sure, but that's for one crazy investment.
No one playing ball in Europe is worth 20mill that's why they won't get it. It's that simple. Nique got paid a lot even though he was old and over the hill. The NBA is viewed as the elite league where the elite players are.

I brought up Beckham because he was viewed as a popular player coming from the big leagues to play on the lower level (US soccer). If he could have gotten the same money in Europe at the time he would have never came here.

The money will be there for a guy like Lebron. An NBA star in their prime going over to Europe would be a rock star.

Smokey

Gabyskra said:

Donny's plan. It's having an effect on him.

charsace

I don't know why its so hard for you guys to understand. If there is a lockout and an Allstar player comes out and says that he would be willing to play in Europe there would be leagues over there that would do whatever to allow teams to get that allstar.

If there was a viable football league in Europe the NFL owners wouldn't be as brazen and dickheaded as they are being now. "We gonna wait you guys out because you need money, hur, hur," would not work on the big name NFL players like it can now if there was another league where they could make money.

reilo

charsace said:
We've already went over this. Basketball in Europe is more minor league than the MLS is compared to the rest of the world. They play in Division-2 sized stadiums of 8-9k. The money isn't there. The sponsors aren't there.

EDIT: Also, on another point, nobody's gonna pay Lebron $20mil for a 2 month rental.

If Lebron or Kobe goes to Europe, or China, they won't be going alone. ESPN and all the shoe companies will be tagging along. Then there are the euro/chinese companies that will throw money in just to be part of the spectacle. I don't know if they'll be able to sustain it long term though. without it being a long term thing I don't think it will be much of a threat to the owners.

Kashy_Tigray said:
I don't think we should trade Bargs. Like I said before, we should experiment with him in a 6th man role first.

If we were to shop him, I think Bargs is at least worth a lottery pick (top 10) in the weak 2011 draft.

I would do Bargs to Minnesota for Rubio and their 2011 1st.

Courtesy of Toronto RealGM...

reilo

@FisolaNYDN: Knicks taking media attendance at Mon shootaround. Only present can eat pregame & ask postgame questions
Oh my that is pitiful.

SamuraiX-

Refs fondling Jrue Holiday's nuts and hating so hard on DMC.

Fuck this shit.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THESE TOUCH FOULS!? JFAKDHGSDHFGJDSATGJSFDJKGDFSXHJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom