• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 NBA Mar |OT| Now listening to the Stan Van Gundy mixtape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Scooter said:
I read that now the Lakers and Clippers are trying to get support from the other owners to veto the move. They just need a majority of owners to vote no.

Who are the 14 other owners who are gonna oppose the move?

Like anyone would listen to Sterling...

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Ninja Scooter said:
I read that now the Lakers and Clippers are trying to get support from the other owners to veto the move. They just need a majority of owners to vote no.
There's no way they get a majority to veto. The other owners want to make sure they have that option one day, so they'll continue to vote yes on relocation.

The fact that the Lakers are spearheading this movement is probably more incentive for the other teams to vote yes.

Rodeo Clown said:
There's no way they get a majority to veto. The other owners want to make sure they have that option one day, so they'll continue to vote yes on relocation.

The fact that the Lakers are spearheading this movement is probably more incentive for the other teams to vote yes.

I don't think this is the case, but just my opinion.

Rodeo Clown said:

Dr. Buss is well respected, like a bear claw.

Anyway one interesting scenario mentioned would be if the vote is split 50/50 and the Hornets are left to decide. Which way would the NBA vote?

dream

Cuban's always good for a no vote.

Ninja Scooter said:
Dr. Buss is well respected, like a bear claw.

Anyway one interesting scenario mentioned would be if the vote is split 50/50 and the Hornets are left to decide. Which way would the NBA vote?

sonicsgate.org

That fake Bill Walton Twitter account is beyond amazing:

The shell-shocked Kansas players have a limp, unfocused gaze of battle-weary kids as they are succumbing to these battering Rams of VCU.

Kansas remains trapped in a hideous nightmare. VCU is serving as an incubus of terror, a harbinger of death to the Jayhawk nation.

VCU has sent a shock to Kansas' system in the same regard Mikhail Gorbachev's policy of Glasnost brought upheaval to the Soviet Union.

Rodeo Clown

Adam Blade said:
I'm sure the Blunder's owner will vote no as well.
Good one.

Really, the only teams that are going to vote no are: Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Knicks, Nets, Bulls. The other teams don't care. They don't have to worry about another team coming into their markets.

Rodeo Clown said:
Good one.

Really, the only teams that are going to vote no are: Lakers, Clippers, Warriors, Knicks, Nets, Bulls. The other teams don't care. They don't have to worry about another team coming into their markets.

So basically you think the other teams are going to do the reggienotmyproblem.gif?

Rodeo Clown

obijkenobi said:
So basically you think the other teams are going to do the reggienotmyproblem.gif?
Yes. What do Minnesota, or Memphis, or Indiana care about market invasion? They don't, the Lakers crying about it as they rake in cash isn't going to convince them, and they want to keep their right to relocate, too, so they'll keep voting yes just like they always have.

Rodeo Clown said:
Yes. What do Minnesota, or Memphis, or Indiana care about market invasion? They don't, the Lakers crying about it as they rake in cash isn't going to convince them, and they want to keep their right to relocate, too, so they'll keep voting yes just like they always have.

Well the other owners might try a strategy of saying they'll vote for it as soon as the big market teams agree to revenue share. Which I think would be good for the league anyway

Gigglepoo

It's bad for the league to have three franchises in the same area, especially when two are going to be relegated to second-class citizens. They should move to Seattle, Vancouver, Buffalo, Vegas or Missouri before they land a third team in SoCal.

Or just stay in Sacramento.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
So instead of the Jazz trading Deron for an average point guard, a potential superstar center, the 6th pick in the 2011 draft, and the 10th pick in the 2012 draft, they trade Deron for an average point guard and an expiring backup small forward who's only quality year in most metrics has been a contract year? Really?

The Nets didn't come into the fold until the last minute. If Knicks had at least tried without it leaking, ala Nets, I think they could have pulled it off.

You can't compare it to the Nets deal because Utah didn't shop Deron and didn't even negotiate. Just say "okay." Who knows how much it would have taken.

Black Mamba said:
The Nets didn't come into the fold until the last minute. If Knicks had at least tried without it leaking, ala Nets, I think they could have pulled it off.

You can't compare it to the Nets deal because Utah didn't shop Deron and didn't even negotiate. Just say "okay." Who knows how much it would have taken.

Not really. The Jazz started talking with the Kings in a deal that would have gotten them Cousins, Patterson, and some picks for Deron and the Nets came in later.

Gigglepoo

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Not really. The Jazz started talking with the Kings in a deal that would have gotten them Cousins, Patterson, and some picks for Deron and the Nets came in later.

The Jazz reportedly said "no" to Cousins? He's much better than anyone NJ gave up. Also, why would the Kings want Deron and Reke? They'd had to ship Reke to make it work.

Gigglepoo said:
The Jazz reportedly said "no" to Cousins? He's much better than anyone NJ gave up. Also, why would the Kings want Deron and Reke? They'd had to ship Reke to make it work.

He's also a headcase who would probably go crazy in Utah.

The M.O.B

Adam Blade said:
I wish the Clippers were in the Least.

Clippers have less wins against East teams than West teams...they play em a lot less but still. Fighting for an 7th or 8th seed in the East is useless since the East is top heavy.

etiolate

Banned
Dallly and Thornton are contact year monstering the Kings.

Odd thing about that loan from Anaheim is that I think the Kings moving costs were estimated at around 100 milion. so I am surprised the Maloofs are getting just 50 mill out of it.

giri

Black Mamba said:

Lol, you're terrible.

Utah just went " sad face, sloans gone, fuck this franchise, i'm over the pressure, i'm going to send you away now deron you jerk! who wants him? you've got a deal nets ? fine, its done and over with." like they were some battered woman gettind rid of her kids after a divorce?

Yeah, THATS how things work.

Also, i still say, 90% of the "leaked details" of the melo trade came from uriji, not the knicks.

For a guy who apparently got offers from the Ivy League, Knight can sure be really fucking dumb a lot of the time. If he had better shot selection, he could be a top 5 pick, but he takes so many awful shots...

The Maloofs moving to Anaheim would leave them with over 100 million in debt on loans. And supposedly they'll only get 50% of parking and concessions for NBA games at the honda center. They'll get most of ticket sales and all of the revenue from a tv deal. Would they even be able to generate enough revenue in laker land to keep the creditors away. They might be better off just selling the team.

giri said:
Lol, you're terrible.

Utah just went " sad face, sloans gone, fuck this franchise, i'm over the pressure, i'm going to send you away now deron you jerk! who wants him? you've got a deal nets ? fine, its done and over with." like they were some battered woman gettind rid of her kids after a divorce?

Yeah, THATS how things work.

Also, i still say, 90% of the "leaked details" of the melo trade came from uriji, not the knicks.

I think you read what I said as the opposite of what i wrote.

Sharp said:
That's exactly what he said, they have less wins against them.

No, that's not what he said. He edited after I called him out on his error. The Least is pathetic.

Even his edit doesn't seem to have a point.

giri

Black Mamba said:
I think you read what I said as the opposite of what i wrote.
The deron deal wasn't great, but it's not that different to what the melo deal was, but they obviously weren't in trade talks as early as denver. They didn't do it all through the media like the melo deal, but its not a terrible deal either. I still think it was a mistake, i don't think you'll ever get true value for a player like that, though Denver came close.

I also can't agree with you on the team vs team. In a dantoni offense, yes, in most others? no. But i don't expect Dantoni to last long at the knicks. Which is a shame, but that group just isn't playing together or fluidly. Watching them against the bucks was pure torture. The nuggets offense ran much smoother than that, and you've got two of the biggest keys to that on the knicks.

I'm not sure whether the deal will end being a good one for the Jazz (Favors has to start playing hard for an entire game and the Jazz need to get at least one starter from the two picks. Both are very possible, but not certain), but Deron needed to be dealt. The Jazz when Deron had a wrist injury (Injury that won't heal until offseason) were getting blown out every single night even with Al and Millsap putting up 30-15 some nights so the team was going to miss the playoffs. And he probably wasn't going to come back after next season.

The M.O.B

Adam Blade said:
No, that's not what he said. He edited after I called him out on his error. The Least is pathetic.

Even his edit doesn't seem to have a point.

My edit was to point out they would get a 7th or 8th seed at best, no higher. After making the playoffs, They would just get knocked out by Boston,Miami, or Chicago. /shrug

EDIT: To clarify, you guys already have a losing record against East teams, which means you would still be under .500 even if you were in the East. Which would get you the 7/8 seed.

The M.O.B said:
My edit was to point out they would get a 7th or 8th seed at best, no higher. After making the playoffs, They would just get knocked out by Boston,Miami, or Chicago. /shrug

EDIT: To clarify, you guys already have a losing record against East teams, which means you would still be under .500 even if you were in the East. Which would get you the 7/8 seed.

I think anyone would take 7th in one conference instead of 13th in another.

giri said:
The deron deal wasn't great, but it's not that different to what the melo deal was, but they obviously weren't in trade talks as early as denver. They didn't do it all through the media like the melo deal, but its not a terrible deal either. I still think it was a mistake, i don't think you'll ever get true value for a player like that, though Denver came close.

I also can't agree with you on the team vs team. In a dantoni offense, yes, in most others? no. But i don't expect Dantoni to last long at the knicks. Which is a shame, but that group just isn't playing together or fluidly. Watching them against the bucks was pure torture. The nuggets offense ran much smoother than that, and you've got two of the biggest keys to that on the knicks.

I honestly don't know to what you're responding in the first half.

As for the 2nd half, I've stated I think Melo isn't as good as most make him out to be. And I think the current pieces in NYC don't make much sense (outside Fields). This deal won't decide NYK's fate, the next 2-3 deals will.

EDIT: To clarify, you guys already have a losing record against East teams, which means you would still be under .500 even if you were in the East. Which would get you the 7/8 see

Clippers would take playoffs anyway they could get it. Think about this a bit.

I do think 13th could be better than 7th depending on situation. Up & comers want that 7th seed. Aging teams about to be blown up need the draft pick.

The M.O.B

Meh, I'm not nearly that optimistic. Yeah they could pull an upset or something, but with Miami and Chicago sitting atop the East for years and years to come, can't see any miracles happening.

The M.O.B said:
Meh, I'm not nearly that optimistic. Yeah they could pull an upset or something, but with Miami and Chicago sitting atop the East for years and years to come, can't see any miracles happening.
It's not about getting blown up in the 1st round. Playoff experience is vital for young teams. Especially since the last 2 months of the season actually means something. I think the Bulls-Celtics a couple years ago serves as an example for young players to step up. No one gave the Bulls any chance. Even the Thunder got a good taste of playoff basketball last year.

giri

Black Mamba said:
I honestly don't know to what you're responding in the first half.

As for the 2nd half, I've stated I think Melo isn't as good as most make him out to be. And I think the current pieces in NYC don't make much sense (outside Fields). This deal won't decide NYK's fate, the next 2-3 deals will.

Clippers would take playoffs anyway they could get it. Think about this a bit.

I do think 13th could be better than 7th depending on situation. Up & comers want that 7th seed. Aging teams about to be blown up need the draft pick.
Because you seem to think That the deron deal was bad, or that some how the KNICKS could've got Deron for less than Melo. They would've wanted gallo, felton,mozgov + picks. Maybe not chandler.

Melo is one of the best players in the league, due to a varied skill set he can fit into just about any offense. He's not all, head down & bull to the rim. He's got a post game, a front up game, good mid range jumper, so-so 3pt shooter, good passer and he can finish on the break and good handles.

That that's not being used properly is more so D`antonis fault, less his. Karl managed too, and they ran a very good offense up there in denver for years, with melo as the focal point.

The M.O.B

wow @ Lowry, he is playing an under control game, no bad shots taken, and some great passes made.

And I do believe playoff experience is valuable, but only when they can make it competitive(IT. Rose taking the Celts to 7 games), I can't think of much they could learn if they just get swept/blownout. Yeah they might handle the pressure better next time, which is valuable but not sure how much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom