• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season lOT2l It Wasn't Me, It Was Uncle Drew

hes going to the knicks for amare.

tumblr_mdrgzymoSX1qzq7qs.gif

If Rose was the MVP 2 years ago, CP3 can easily be the MVP this year as Paul is obviously better than Rose and improves other players more and both players had ridiculously good benches during the season.

It's interesting to see the argument against CP3. Last year the team was him, griffin, and half of DeAndre Jordan and a shit bench and scrubs for 2 guards and he carried that team to the playoffs. Now that his team has a bench and only willie green playing like a scrub, he now has too much help to be MVP as they are blowing teams out consistently.

Chris Paul is one of the best players in the NBA and is the best player on his team which has the best record in the NBA. He's in the MVP conversation.

I think it's KD, CP3, and Bron. I don't care what Knicks-GAF wants, Melo isn't in the top 3 for me. He's having a great year but not as great as those 3 and has missed time. And yeah, I'd put Harden over Melo too. Come at me.

linsivvi

I think it's KD, CP3, and Bron. I don't care what Knicks-GAF wants, Melo isn't in the top 3 for me. He's having a great year but not as great as those 3 and has missed time. And yeah, I'd put Harden over Melo too. Come at me.

Melo is just a one-dimensional player. Harden is definitely more worthy.

Emwitus

I don't care what anybody else says, cp3 is the mvp so far. Clipper 17 game win streak...under Vinny del negro. No more needs to be said.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Knicks Will Not Win the NBA Championship

Because if they appear to be threatening to do just such a thing, I will personally assign Guy Fieri to follow Ray Felton. From the earliest mornings, to pregame shootarounds, to those quiet moments in the locker room after a tough loss, all the way to his residence in Mount Vernon or wherever it is he lives. Fieri will be toting deep-fried sqidoodles and caramel-glazed thingamabobs, salt-drenched whosits and pork-spiced doohickets. Caloric weapons are what he'll be wielding. Ray Felton has never seen a feast like this and he will not be able to resist. And he will get fat.

I may also enlist an artisanal bartender to shadow Jason Kidd.

Kim Kardashian Will Become Pregnant With Kanye West's Child and/or They Will Elope to a Very Fancy Place on Earth

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8737329/grantland-staff-predictions-2013

If Rose was the MVP 2 years ago, CP3 can easily be the MVP this year as Paul is obviously better than Rose and improves other players more and both players had ridiculously good benches during the season.

It's interesting to see the argument against CP3. Last year the team was him, griffin, and half of DeAndre Jordan and a shit bench and scrubs for 2 guards and he carried that team to the playoffs. Now that his team has a bench and only willie green playing like a scrub, he now has too much help to be MVP as they are blowing teams out consistently.

Chris Paul is one of the best players in the NBA and is the best player on his team which has the best record in the NBA. He's in the MVP conversation.

I thought CP3 was the third most valuable player in the league last year. I don't think he is as valuable to his team this year and I don't think he's playing better basketball so him winning MVP would just seem strange to me after he wasn't really close to winning MVP last year.

Melo has no serious chance at MVP

it just seems that way because he plays for the team with the simultaneously dumbest and loudest fanbase

The NY media is powerful. Thankfully, Melo's numbers will regress to the mean in the coming months which will put himself out of the conversation.

And there's always the potential for a Melo-Amar'e lineup being disastrous again.

I thought CP3 was the third most valuable player in the league last year. I don't think he is as valuable to his team this year and I don't think he's playing better basketball so him winning MVP would just seem strange to me after he wasn't really close to winning MVP last year.

But is anyone other than Durand and LBJ arguably more valuable?

It's also weird to me that CP3 getting better teammates now makes him less valuable. So the MVP should always go to a meh team that is decent to good because of 1 player rather than a great player playing great on a good to great team?

Melo has no serious chance at MVP

it just seems that way because he plays for the team with the simultaneously dumbest and loudest fanbase

Why you so aggy? It's always that time of the month for you. You need to get that mangina checked out.

The NY media is powerful. Thankfully, Melo's numbers will regress to the mean in the coming months which will put himself out of the conversation.

And there's always the potential for a Melo-Amar'e lineup being disastrous again.

You're on your hands and knees praying for him to fall flat on his face, damn.

Why you so aggy? It's always that time of the month for you. You need to get that mangina checked out.

You're on your hands and knees praying for him to fall flat on his face, damn.

Nah, I like Melo. I don't want him to play worse because I like him. I just think it would be a loser's bet.

Although, I wouldn't want him in the MVP conversation as he's not one of the 5 best players in the NBA. And I'd honestly rather have like 10 other players than him, regardless. As was mentioned, he's a 1 dimensional player.

Stop acting like Lebron isn't going to easily moonwalk away with that MVP barring a huge collapse or Durant somehow becoming the first option on his team.

CP3 ain't winning shit, Melo ain't winning shit. They're both having amazing years, but what makes a regular season MVP is about as consistent and objective as a grammy award.

Stop acting like Lebron isn't going to easily moonwalk away with that MVP barring a huge collapse or Durant somehow becoming the first option on his team.

CP3 ain't winning shit, Melo ain't winning shit. They're both having amazing years, but what makes a regular season MVP is about as consistent and objective as a grammy award.

Shaq would have won multiple ones if that were the case. Media likes certain narratives. See: Nash, Iverson, Rose.

Now that Bron won his title, the media is also free to look elsewhere. They get bored. And let's not pretend they don't want to build up Durant vs Bron in numerous ways.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Lebron is the best player in the NBA. MVP doesn't go to best player, though. Just ask Karl Malone.

Karl Malone was never going to win MVP and wasn't even close to being the clear winner in the way that LBJ has been.

You have to almost make up reasons for someone other than Lebron to win it.

Shaq would have won multiple ones if that were the case. Media likes certain narratives. See: Nash, Iverson, Rose.

Now that Bron won his title, the media is also free to look elsewhere. They get bored. And let's not pretend they don't want to build up Durant vs Bron in numerous ways.

So many sports journalists have their "Back2Back MVP: He's like Jordan!" articles already typed up with their "DurantMVP: It was his turn, it's his league now!" in queue behind it just in case.

No one pre-writes an article singing of the triumphs of Carmelo Anthony, Melo taught them better.

The Clips would have to maintain the best record in the league for too long just to remind people that he's a candidate for MVP. If the season ended today the votes for CP would be dwarfed by Bron's and KD's.

Karl Malone was never going to win MVP and wasn't even close to being the clear winner in the way that LBJ has been.

You have to almost make up reasons for someone other than Lebron to win it.

You're making my argument for me. MJ should have been the MVP those years. People had to make up reasons to make Karl MVP over Jordan. And they did. (as they did with Iverson over Shaq in 2001)

They can do it again if need be. Not saying they will. But eventually if not this year, soon enough.

So many sports journalists have their "Back2Back MVP: He's like Jordan!" articles already typed up with their "DurantMVP: It was his turn, it's his league now!" in queue behind it just in case.

No one pre-writes an article singing of the triumphs of Carmelo Anthony, Melo taught them better.

The Clips would have to maintain the best record in the league for too long just to remind people that he's a candidate for MVP. If the season ended today the votes for CP would be dwarfed by Bron's and KD's.

Not arguing against this. Just arguing CP3 deserves to be in the "top 3" conversation if we're listing top 3. I think Bron and Durant are the only two with a chance to win unless Clippers do something like win 65 games.

I just also don't understand the "CP3 has a bench therefore no MVP" argument. We just saw Rose win it with a great bench, so this isn't an argument against Paul. the argument should be "Durant and Lebron have been better."

DY_nasty

You're making my argument for me. MJ should have been the MVP those years. People had to make up reasons to make Karl MVP over Jordan. And they did. (as they did with Iverson over Shaq in 2001)

They can do it again if need be. Not saying they will. But eventually if not this year, soon enough.

Neither of those guys are even that close though. KD is just McGrady'ing it up. LBJ is dominating on some other shit. Paul would need the Clippers to have the best record in the league by 10+ games to be taken seriously.

You may want to sit down for this one since you only watch Lakers games. AI deserved to win over Shaq too.
Durant's actually the better player this year, though.

Durant isn't half the defender or passer that Lebron is.

In what way? Bron outclasses him in everything except scoring(difference of 2 points)
Durant's not just a better scorer than LeBron, he's also much more efficient (Durant has been maintaining a legendary 65% TS% with a 122 (!!!) offensive rating, Bron's at 61%). Durant's the leader of the league's most efficient and dangerous offensive team, and he's taken huge strides as a playmaker this year as well. He's also an underrated defender, with a lower defensive rating than LeBron this year. He's also leading the league in win shares.

I'm not really sure what LeBron does better than Durant, to be frank. Balding?

I will say that the Heat probably need to pick up their record for LeBron to win MVP this year.

Being 1 game ahead of the Hawks is a resume weaknesses I would say...

Durant's not just a better scorer than LeBron, he's also much more efficient (Durant has been maintaining a legendary 65% TS% with a 122 (!!!) offensive rating, Bron's at 61%). Durant's the leader of the league's most efficient and dangerous offensive team, and he's taken huge strides as a playmaker this year as well. He's also an underrated defender, with a lower defensive rating than LeBron this year. He's also leading the league in win shares.

Passing, defending, playmaking, ball handling,better finisher around the rim. I'm not sure what TS% is but Lebron has a higher FG%, more assists,more rebounds, more shit that happens in the game. Lebron can play every position cept center. I'd love to see Durant try and play point guard.

If its better player I take lebron all day. I thought the discussion was still about MVP. Durant will win it this year though the Harden trade will guarantee it.
but you just said that KD is a better player this year.....

Pkaz01

but you just said that KD is a better player this year.....

You might have me mixed up or something all i've said is KD will win MVP and that drose got it over lebron even though lebron was better and had a better season because of the teams record, hype, and voter fatigue.

same things will happen this year for KD and the harden trade with the weakened team aspect on top of it. Sort of like Nash's second MVP but less severe.

DY_nasty

I never liked him. Selfish player, ball hog. Yeah he pulled him team into the finals in a historically weak conference, but he's an inefficient scorer and a terrible PG.

His Denver years were actually better.

Next best players on the team are

Aaron McKie, Eric Snow, and Theo Ratliff

vs

Kevin Durant and James Harden

#selfish

You might have me mixed up or something all i've said is KD will win MVP and that drose got it over lebron even though lebron was better and had a better season because of the teams record, hype, and voter fatigue.

same things will happen this year for KD and the harden trade with the weakened team aspect on top of it. Sort of like Nash's second MVP but less severe.
holy shit..lolol I mixed you up with GremlinFool, my bad.

As someone who really got into basketball in the late 90s, I can't hate on AI in the slightest. Yea he was a ballhog, he was delusional about his skills towards the end, was a bit of a cancer and could burn through money faster than Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions...but he had so much heart and gave so many fucks.

This one's for you AI

tumblr_lzu0cj22J11rp8pduo1_500.gif

Neither of those guys are even that close though. KD is just McGrady'ing it up. LBJ is dominating on some other shit. Paul would need the Clippers to have the best record in the league by 10+ games to be taken seriously.

You're arguing who should be MVP. I'm not (I'd vote Bron too)

I'm arguing the media doesn't care. I think this year Bron is still in their favor, but next year they might get fatigued.

You may want to sit down for this one since you only watch Lakers games. AI deserved to win over Shaq too.

Oh please. He had a below average TS% and efg%. It was also in a really fucking shitty conference that season. He even played less games than Shaq.

Iverson was always a chucker. And not very efficient. The team was built around his scoring and he gets points for that (it was mostly get out of his way let him do his thing while we defend system) but you have to be way better than what he was for that to get you MVP. That was an average offensive team but a good defensive team which was built more on the backs of other players than Iverson (despite his high steals numbers). It's like arguing Rose over Lebron.

At no point in his career was Iverson more worthy of MVP or even should have been in the conversation for MVP between Shaq and Duncan. Not even in his best season. I really hope you're just baiting me and don't believe what you're saying.

Rebounds better and doesn't turn the ball over all the time

Top Bottom