• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

Vahagn

I know the Lakers are getting humiliated right now. But just some food for thought. When this team got assembled this summer, did anyone think that

Robert Sacre, Earl Clark, Devin Ebanks, Chris Duhon, Darius Morris would ever step on the court? let alone combine for 75 minutes against a team like the Knicks

None of those guys is an NBA player that steps on the court for any other contending team, especially one so top heavy.

As horrible as we are, and we are horrible...Nash/Gasol/Blake coming back is going to get us into the playoffs. We'll have no real chance of winning it all but there will be much improvement. Last Night, Kobe was on the floor with Ebanks, Duhon, and Sacre at the same time. That's a lineup that should have never been on the floor together this season

I know the Lakers are getting humiliated right now. But just some food for thought. When this team got assembled this summer, did anyone think that

Robert Sacre, Earl Clark, Devin Ebanks, Chris Duhon, Darius Morris would ever step on the court? let alone combine for 75 minutes against a team like the Knicks

None of those guys is an NBA player that steps on the court for any other contending team, especially one so top heavy.

As horrible as we are, and we are horrible...Nash/Gasol/Blake coming back is going to get us into the playoffs. We'll have no real chance of winning it all but there will be much improvement. Last Night, Kobe was on the floor with Ebanks, Duhon, and Sacre at the same time. That's a lineup that should have never been on the floor together this season

Be honest, "a team like the Knicks" wasn't even in the Lakers' vocabulary when they assembled this team.

KingGondo

Banned
When I was at the OKC-Lakers game the other night, I was struck at how bad their lineup was during shootaround.

On OKC's end of the court:

KD
YNB
Ibaka
Thabo
K-Mart
Perkins
Maynor
Collison

On LA's:
Kobe
Dwight
MWP
Trash

The return of Pau and Nash will help, but even then they're not coming close to competing for the Bestern crown.

Watching those guys play with Kobe, reinforced my belief that someone in the Laker front office is sabotaging the team on purpose. Where is the 120 mil payroll? Who evers decision it was to not hire Phil, you deserve this!!!!!!

This is worse than the Elden Campbell, Sidel Threat days.

When I was at the OKC-Lakers game the other night, I was struck at how bad their lineup was during shootaround.

KD
YNB
Ibaka
Thabo
K-Mart
Perkins
Maynor
Collison

On LA's:
Kobe
Dwight
MWP
Trash

The return of Pau and Nash will help, but even then they're not coming close to competing for the Bestern crown.

I been saying this since Dwight signed. I did think they would be number 2 though

KD
YNB
Ibaka
Thabo
K-Mart
Perkins
Maynor
Collison

On LA's:
Kobe
Dwight
MWP
Trash

This list obviously isn't biased. Listing trash like Maynor and Perkins lol.

In reality it would be

Kobe
Pau
Dwight
Nash
MWP
trash

YNB
Durant
Ibaka
Collison
Kmart ( due for a major injury)
trash

Honestly though, what team in the league could be competitive without their starting PF, starting PG and back up PG while having their starting Center recover from back surgery?

LA's bench was gonna be mediocre to bad, we were banking on our starting 5 to be good enough to overcome that. But now that the bench are getting way more minutes than anyone could have imagined....well shit sucks.

Honestly though, what team in the league could be competitive without their starting PF, starting PG and back up PG while having their starting Center recover from back surgery?

LA's bench was gonna be mediocre to bad, we were banking on our starting 5 to be good enough to overcome that. But now that the bench are getting way more minutes than anyone could have imagined....well shit sucks.

You guys had 90% of your strength for a lot of your losses though. Lets be real.

You guys had 90% of your strength for a lot of your losses though. Lets be real.

Let's look at Minnesota: Brandon Roy is done, no Rubio, no Budinger, Love is coming back from an injury, Pekovic was injured earlier and is just now getting back into shape, Lakers sweeper Barea missed several games, AK47 is playing through a back injury. They've had a revolving door lineup so far and yet they're 7th in the West.

Even at 70% Dwight Howard should be better than most everyone else and he has Kobe as a teammate. Yet the Lakers are getting destroyed by CJ Miles and Greg Smith.

Let's look at Minnesota: Brandon Roy is done, no Rubio, no Budinger, Love is coming back from an injury, Pekovic was injured earlier and is just now getting back into shape, Lakers sweeper Barea missed several games, AK47 is playing through a back injury. They've had a revolving door lineup so far and yet they're 7th in the West.

Even at 70% Dwight Howard should be better than most everyone else and he has Kobe as a teammate. Yet the Lakers are getting destroyed by CJ Miles and Greg Smith.

The difference is that the Lakers decided that it would be a good idea to be extremely front-loaded with a terrible bench. Minnesota might have a lot of injuries, but their bench is significantly better than that of the Lakers. Old Kobe and injured/disinterested Dwight Howard combined with a bench of mostly terrible players is a recipe for disaster. With that said, I don't see Pau suddenly getting remotivated to play if/when he comes back nor do I see Nash suddenly playing at a high level in the next 2 months. The Lakers took a huge gamble with this team and it isn't paying off.

Old Kobe and 70% Dwight is plenty talented enough to beat the Cavs and the Rockets with Harden shooting 18% from the field, Lakers aren't even beating teams they're supposed to beat.

Yea but everyone who isn't a starter in LA should just...

I agree that they're still underachieving with Kobe+Recovering Dwight and trash.

Pau has missed 6 games and played with knee problems for all the games he was active and Nash has played 50 minutes so far this season.

Normally missing Blake would be a non-issue but when Chris Duhon and Darius Morris are starting in his place, him having played 180 minutes this season hurts me so

That's why I added the disinterested qualifier for Howard. He just doesn't seem that into it. I'd be pretty surprised if he sticks around after this season.

Edit: I should point out that I've said for years that D'Antoni is a horrible, horrible coach. I do kind of feel bad for him, though, because he was hired for a team that really couldn't play his style in the slightest. Everyone is either too sloppy, too old, or too hurt to play at such a fast pace.

LillardBreaksMillsAnkles.gif

Has this been posted? If so, it needs to be posted again.

dam

jman2050

Blaming injuries is the fool's way out. You build your team with the idea that injuries will happen and with a roster that's flexible enough to still function when your optimal lineup isn't available. And the Lakers should have been even more judicious in this regard because their starting lineup had a 38-year old and a dude recovering from back surgery. It was less of a gamble and more of a shot in the dark.

Blaming injuries is the fool's way out. You build your team with the idea that injuries will happen and with a roster that's flexible enough to still function when your optimal lineup isn't available. And the Lakers should have been even more judicious in this regard because their starting lineup had a 38-year old and a dude recovering from back surgery. It was less of a gamble and more of a shot in the dark.

You generally try to expect injuries, but not three major injuries to the four great players on your team. Dwight looking really slow, Nash being out, Pau declining or injured were all possibilities, but all three happening at once is a lot of bad luck for injuries. Dwyane Wade or Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett could have a major injury and then their teams would suck and injuries would have been the cause. All of those teams are built around a guy with bad knees/health staying healthy and they'd be screwed if those guys weren't healthy. A team can't build around three of their four best players getting/recovering slowly from major injuries.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Remember when Portland had all of those injuries on their roster and still won 45-50 games? And none of them were to three, maybe four surefire Hall of Famers?

giri

KD
YNB
Ibaka
Thabo
K-Mart
Perkins
Maynor
Collison

On LA's:
Kobe
Dwight
MWP
Trash

2 things

1) If you're a fan of a western team, you don't use cute word plays like bestern. You just say Western. The best part is assumed. Trying to justify your shitty conference is left to east teams.
2)all of lakersage are also part of the "blah blah bench doesn't matter only starters do blah blah blah" crowd. So it's no excuses. For years they hyped bench trash such as the "killer bees". Well, suck it.

You generally try to expect injuries, but not three major injuries to the four great players on your team. Dwight looking really slow, Nash being out, Pau declining or injured were all possibilities, but all three happening at once is a lot of bad luck for injuries. Dwyane Wade or Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett could have a major injury and then their teams would suck and injuries would have been the cause. All of those teams are built around a guy with bad knees/health staying healthy and they'd be screwed if those guys weren't healthy. A team can't build around three of their four best players getting/recovering slowly from major injuries.

That's why I previously said Kupchack is a pretty bad GM when it comes to doing gruntwork (solid minimum signings, drafting in the 2nd round). The Lakers have a 100 million dollar payroll and have nothing beyond their Top 4, how does that happen? Of course, Lakers-Age called me a bitter troll when I said Antawn Jamison is terrible and a net negative to a team at this stage of his career.

KingGondo

Banned
2 things

1) If you're a fan of a western team, you don't use cute word plays like bestern. You just say Western. The best part is assumed. Trying to justify your shitty conference is left to east teams.
2)all of lakersage are also part of the "blah blah bench doesn't matter only starters do blah blah blah" crowd. So it's no excuses. For years they hyped bench trash such as the "killer bees". Well, suck it.
Good points all around.

Can I still call the East the "Leastern Conference"?

MIAMI –—
Heat forward LeBron James did not practice Friday, but is expected to play in Saturday's game against the Washington Wizards.

James was resting his sore right shoulder after taking a fall in Wednesday's loss to the Golden State Warriors. James said he aggravated an injury that has lingered all season.
"It's sore," James said. "It's a little banged up. I kind of re-injured the shoulder. It's been lingering throughout the season. I definitely didn't help the cause."

The injury occurred when James while in the air was pushed by Warriors forward David Lee. James said he will be ready versus the Wizards, jokingly comparing himself to a superhero.

"I guess my body is able to recover faster than other guys," James said. "I guess I got that Wolverine trait. As soon as I get stabbed or whatever the case may be, it just heals right up."
indestructible.

Top Bottom