• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

They are playing well, I've said as much.

I don't think its reasonable to expect Melo to continue to shoot 12% higher than his average from 3, for Felt to shoot 7% over his average from 3, Brewer to shoot 8% over his average from 3 and Kidd to shoot 11% over his average from 3(I'm being generous and only counting the years where he was a good 3% shooter 04 and on).

Melo continued it from the Olympics. Maybe they got some new good shooting coaches. Also kidd can hit open 3's since the mavericks. Same logic can be applied too for teh Heat where they have many shooters and they happen to hit shots during the playoffs. Orlando did it as well.

"NeoCav" is a term for us Cavaliers fans, who apparently arent welcome in this thread, but we don't give two fucks cus we're neocavs.

People aren't incredulous that you exist because they dislike you. They're incredulous that you exist because it's amazing Ohio sports teams still have fans remaining.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Melo continued it from the Olympics. Maybe they got some new good shooting coaches. Also kidd can hit open 3's since the mavericks. Same logic can be applied too for teh Heat where they have many shooters and they happen to hit shots during the playoffs. Orlando did it as well.

yep and they got some good scorers who can create as well which arguably was the difference between mavs & the Heat those champion years and Orlando every other one.

charsace

I was really only wrong about The Knicks not being good this year, and it was pretty popular during the offseason.

I knew Lin was an average starter
I knew fields was bootyhole
I knew Amare would miss a big portion of this offseason
I know it'll be tricky to work Amare back in, not impossible but NY has the option to sit him like The Jazz are doing to Raja Bell.

and I know NY will come back down to earth when their shooting cools off, just a matter of when. Knowing the knicks it'll probably be during the playoffs.

Don't you get tired of hating on the Knicks? Because you're coming off like a hater.

SamuraiX-

MnTbt.png

PLEASE let this mean less minutes for Salmons.

besides Novak and Kidd, I wouldn't call anyone on NYK a "shooter" from 3

MIA has Chalmers, Miller, Ray, Battier.

Orl had great shooters too. Knicks roster is filled with average 3 point shooters having career years.

I will say that the openness of their shots have to be apart of it as well, as Giri said.

Jdez15

Banned
those fuckin dimples man, i keep hoping he at least turns into some kind of enforcer, but then i remember his canadian.

I'm just hoping we can get on a nice little 3 or 4 game win streak with Waiters coming back. We have it in us, Miles looks like he is a nice pickup finally. Just have to start finishing games.

EDIT: Last 10 games CJ.Miles is averaging 17 a game.

Jeff-DSA

I'm just hoping we can get on a nice little 3 or 4 game win streak with Waiters coming back. We have it in us, Miles looks like he is a nice pickup finally. Just have to start finishing games.

Miles does that. He makes you think he's competent and then he quickly proves that he's not.

yep and they got some good scorers who can create as well which arguably was the difference between mavs & the Heat those champion years and Orlando every other one.

They also got the Ronnie Brewer charm. As soon as he came to the East, the Bulls immediately became a #1 or #2 seed for 2 straight years. Now he's again on a team that's the top in the East. Also, he's my friend on Facebook and went to high school with my brothers, so I may or may not be biased.

Jdez15

Banned

Orl had great shooters too. Knicks roster is filled with average 3 point shooters having career years.

I will say that the openness of their shots have to be apart of it as well, as Giri said.

Carmelo has a deadly pull up in transition. I just think Carmelo has finally matured, and worked his ass off this off-season.

Chalmers really isn't that great at shooting especially so far this season. You are right that the ball movement leads to open 3's and that is why it has been working. I want to see how Amare works in the inside to mix things up.

mhi

pro-tank here, so I rather we just compete hard but still lose. I mainly watch for great performences by the young guys (irving 41, waiters vs clippers etc),

Zeus Molecules

They also got the Ronnie Brewer charm. As soon as he came to the East, the Bulls immediately became a #1 or #2 seed for 2 straight years. Now he's again on a team that's the top in the East. Also, he's my friend on Facebook and went to high school with my brothers, so I may or may not be biased.

Well Brewer and Shump during the playoffs are going to be crucial for the knicks defensively in the playoffs. As a Fan of defense I can't wait to see them maul teams together.

Jdez15

Banned
... what?

I don't even think Heat-GAF calls Chalmers a shooter. Unless what is considered a shooter has declined over the years.

Well when was the last time the Lakers had a 3 point shooter who's name wasnt Kobe Bryant? You have to understand that even if a player is shooting average from 3, he is a 3 point shooter to him.

giri

If someone brings up something don't expect it to be ignored.

Hater? I said NYK has been playing well at least twice already.

Yeah, but the knicks fandom needs to be justified in being martyrs and so maligned.

don't worry, no one else thinks you're a hater, just speaking some rational sense. Of course, thats hating in knicks terms.

Jdez15

Banned
pro-tank here, so I rather we just compete hard but still lose. I mainly watch for great performences by the young guys (irving 41, waiters vs clippers etc),

Byron Scott is a genius. He plays to win, until the 4th quarter. I'm not kidding about that either.

Well Brewer and Shump during the playoffs are going to be crucial for the knicks defensively in the playoffs. As a Fan of defense I can't wait to see them maul teams together.

Looking forward to shumperts offense. Last time he was getting better finishing and being more explosive. His jumper was getting better as well. Camby needs to get back,we can really use him for boards and defense.

... what?

I don't even think Heat-GAF calls Chalmers a shooter. Unless what is considered a shooter has declined over the years.

He is having a crap year, but he is literally a better career 3 point shooter than Melo. Literally. His "crap" current year is one percent worse than Melo's career average.

Jdez15

Banned
He is having a crap year, but he is literally a better career 3 point shooter than Melo. Literally. His "crap" current year is one percent worse than Melo's career average.

Chalmers is a .357 career three point shooter
Melo is a .331 career three point shotter.

Not much of a difference, and a lot of carmelos 3 point attempts are guarded.

I would hope you can catch and shoot a wide open three pointer from Lebitch.

I don't call Carmelo a 3-point shooter either. When I think of shooters I think of Reggie Miller/Novak/Kerr/etc. Chalmers is not them, neither is Carmelo.

However as I've said many times, Carmelo enjoying dat Olympic confidence.

Zeus Molecules

Come on man comparing Chalmers who is playing on the Heat and often the ignored player so he gets open 3's to Melo who has been the focal point of his teams offense for most of his career and has to take his shots usually contested isn't accurate regardless of what the numbers say.

Looking forward to shumperts offense. Last time he was getting better finishing and being more explosive. His jumper was getting better as well. Camby needs to get back,we can really use him for boards and defense.

Yeah the knicks need to get healthy at the right time. One reason I'm not mad its obvious they aren't rushing players back and maybe are even stalling returns. If they can go into the playoffs healthy and rested they could make a real run at it.

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2012/12/17/3778222/amare-stoudemire-is-cleared-for-practice-will-practice-with-bayhawks

Also the Amare countdown can officially begin...

09 Magic is arguably the best three point shooting team of all-time

Jdez15

Banned
The Knicks are missing two starters right now. That's insane when you think about it. It's even more insane if Amare/Melo/Felton prosper together.

Smokey

ESPN Insider piece of Jeremy Lin and Harden. Pretty key on making him come off the bench which is how I feel too...but it won't happen:

This insistence to play them together is a problem once you take a whiff of Lin's putrid numbers while playing next to the Beard. On a per-36-minute basis, Lin has averaged 10.7 points, 6.5 assists and 4.3 rebounds with a ghastly 46.5 true shooting percentage (TS%) to go along with a 12.1 player efficiency rating, according to the NBA.com's StatsCube tool. You know who else has a 46.5 percent TS%? B.J. Mullens.

Here's the most alarming trend when Lin co-pilots with Harden: Lin is taking more 3-pointers than free throw attempts. That's astonishing once you consider that Lin used to frequent the charity stripe practically every time down the floor during the height of Linsanity. Again, beware of the Harden effect. Next to Harden this season, Lin averages 2.1 free throw attempts and 2.9 3-point attempts per 36 minutes. That's not healthy for Lin.

It's really quite simple: It's time for Kevin McHale to bring Lin off the bench, a la OKC Harden.

Really, the solution to Houston's Lin-Harden problem may be turning Lin into Harden. But "benching" Lin right after handing him a $25 million contract might seem like a PR nightmare, especially once you consider that Lin might actually start the All-Star Game (he's currently third in the Western Conference backcourt voting).

But look around the league and you'll see the common denominator for the top-five offenses: a score-first wing anchoring the second-unit. Ray Allen in Miami. Jamal Crawford in Los Angeles. Manu Ginobili in San Antonio. Kevin Martin in Oklahoma City. J.R. Smith in New York. The average 2012-13 salary of those players: $7.5 million, just a Harden hair below Lin's $8.3 million price tag. There are precedents here.

What's most frustrating is that Lin scored 38 points sans-Harden last Monday against the San Antonio Spurs -- arguably the best team in the league -- and yet a week later, McHale still refuses to stagger Lin's and Harden's minutes. If Harden continues to play 38.9 minutes per game, Lin should be featured as the No. 1 option for those 10 minutes that Harden sits.

Jeremy Lin per 36 minutes
'11-12 No Harden Harden
PTS 19.6 19.7 10.7
AST 8.3 7.5 6.5
REB 4.1 5.1 4.3
TS% 55.2 55.4 46.5
USG% 28.1 27.5 17.0
PER 19.9 17.7 12.1

Few paragraphs from the article. He really is garbage when playing with Harden. It's amazing really.

I think melo is hitting them more due to ball movement having him taking open shots. If the movement continues i don't see how anything changes.

Come on man comparing Chalmers who is playing on the Heat and often the ignored player so he gets open 3's to Melo who has been the focal point of his teams offense for most of his career and has to take his shots usually contested isn't accurate regardless of what the numbers say.

Chalmers shot 34.5% avg before Bron ever steped foot there.

And...yea we know Melo takes bad shots sometimes, that's on him.

otapnam

ESPN Insider piece of Jeremy Lin and Harden. Pretty key on making him come off the bench which is how I feel too...but it won't happen:

Few paragraphs from the article. He really is garbage when playing with Harden. It's amazing really.

Harden's been pretty bad at playing defense though. I've been following all season and a ton of opposing SG's have been lighting it up in games

What they should probably do is play the roster based on the opposition. Not just trying to run the same guys just cuz

Top Bottom