• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

linsivvi

Everyone is actively getting trolled by Puddles' joke that he has been continuing from this afternoon.

Smh blackace for stepping in and showing them the error of their ways.

Is he trolling? I can't tell any more. I mean, how do you went from this:

If Dwight could shoot even 60%, that would push the expected points/100 possessions of intentionally fouling him up to 120 and eliminate it as a viable tactic. The median points for 100 possessions in the NBA is 101.2, which means even 55% would still produce a positive expected win total.

Dwight shot above .590 from the line for seven out of his first eight years in the league. It's really only the last two years that he's been absolutely horrible. 49% last year, 46.5% this year. 59.6% in 2010-11. The Lakers would probably be something like 10-5 if he was shooting 59.6% this year. At the very least they'd be over .500.

To this?

Everyone who has ever taken any part in hacking, whether as a player, as part of a coaching staff, or a league official who let it happen, is an absolute disgrace to humanity and should be shipped off to a warzone somewhere. Siberian fucking labor camps out of Dostoevsky would be too good for those fucks. I don't think I have ever read a story of human suffering that would be as much as these guys deserve for their actions.

Ehhh, we're getting into syntax here.

The NBA parallel to taking a knee is dribbling out the clock. Both are mainly to prevent injuries with the added benefit of minimizing turnovers or running up the score.

There is no real football equivalent to Hack-A-Dwight because there is no real football equivalent to the Free Throw that can be forced upon the offensive team by the defensive team. In other words, you can't, at will, force an offensive team to kick a 60 yard FG instead of running a traditional play.

You are looking at the comparison the wrong way. It is not 1:1. That's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that they are both strategies that teams utilized to their advantage that are well within the regular rules of a sport and would be difficult to ban or legislate against.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
you know

Dan Tony was the coach in Phoenix when Shaq was around and didn't bench Shaq when the Spurs use to hack Shaq.

There is no real football equivalent to Hack-A-Dwight because there is no real football equivalent to the Free Throw that can be forced upon the offensive team by the defensive team. In other words, you can't, at will, force an offensive team to kick a 60 yard FG instead of running a traditional play.

I like how Dwight hitting a free throw is the basketball equivalent of kicking a near record breaking field goal.

BobLoblaw

Banned
What's funny about things (depending on how you feel about Lakers-age) is that things are probably gonna get worse before they get better. Lakers will likely lose three of their next five games (@Thunder, Jazz, and @Knicks). After that, things get a little better and Nash should be back.

And for those idiots talking about changing the rules for hacking, get the fuck out of best gaf. You're embarrassing yourselves and coming off as whining ass bitches.

The lakers didn't lose because of hack a Dwight. It hurt but hey lost because of turnovers and rebounding.

My problem with hacking anyone is it makes the game unbearable to watch. I don't want to watch int too am fouls with four min left in the game and two mins of it.

I complained about people doing to Dwight before or to deandre Jordan or anyone else. It's terrible to watch. But it is not why the lakers lost.

Pkaz01

you know

Dan Tony was the coach in Phoenix when Shaq was around and didn't bench Shaq when the Spurs use to hack Shaq.

It was a 1-2 at worst with shaq though, he shot better when he got hacked to give the other team a fuck you. With dwight its more like oh fuck me here we go again

RGIIILBJOrakpo.gif

Greatness meeting greatness.

Also LOL Lebron dissing the white dude again

diehard

Fleer
What's funny about things (depending on how you feel about Lakers-age) is that things are probably gonna get worse before they get better. Lakers will likely lose three of their next five games (@Thunder, Jazz, and @Knicks). After that, things get a little better and Nash should be back.
They won't lose to the Jazz.

It was a 1-2 at worst with shaq though, he shot better when he got hacked to give the other team a fuck you. With dwight its more like oh fuck me here we go again
Evidence showed he shot end of game fts no better iirc. Make em when it counts wasn't real.

Cloudy

Banned
Listening to Dwight's interview, I see why D'Antoni won't take him out. It seems like he would have a BIG problem ("Why should he take me out?") with it and D'Antoni does not have the authority another coach might have and the Dwight's impending FA makes it worse.

Dwight flat-out said his fts weren't a problem. He didn't even own it...

Omega

Banned
why not just change the rules so everything inside the arc is a 3 pointer and everything outside the arc is a 4 pointer

Only for the Lakers though.

oh, and FTM counts for 2 points instead of 1.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Listening to Dwight's interview, I see why D'Antoni won't take him out. It seems like he would have a BIG problem ("Why should he take me out?") with it and D'Antoni does not have the authority another coach might have and the Dwight's impending FA makes it worse.

Hmmm bigger bitch than Gasol confirmed lol

linsivvi

You are looking at the comparison the wrong way. It is not 1:1. That's not the point I'm trying to make. The point I'm trying to make is that they are both strategies that teams utilized to their advantage that are well within the regular rules of a sport and would be difficult to ban or legislate against.

Yeah, I don't think it's any better or worse than intentionally fouling the ball handler at the end of games or calling timeouts to advance the ball. They all slow the game down but it's just part of the game.

Just practice shooting free throws. No professional player should shoot FTs this bad, especially when you're one of the best player in the world. All I ask is a bad but not terrible 55%.

also you're not allowed to post up Pau Gasol

And make it a 4 point field goal when Kobe does one of those ridiculous shots against 3 defenders.

19 turnovers. 21 oboards for rockets.

Lakers didn't lose because Dwight went 5/10.

giri

Yeah, I don't think it's any better or worse than intentionally fouling the ball handler at the end of games or calling timeouts to advance the ball. They all slow the game down but it's just part of the game.

Just practice shooting free throws. No professional player should shoot FTs this bad, especially when you're one of the best player in the world. All I ask is a bad but not terrible 55%.

Pretty much.

Tim Duncan isn't a great FT shooter. But he does enough to make hacking him no a beneficial play. And that's all you have to do.

Turning the conversation from how Dwight is a bad free throw shooter to how he's gone from one of the best defensive rebounders of all time to just good would be more depressing for Laker fans though.

Some of that will be on his back injury. I don't think he'll be near 100% this season. and only around 90% by the ASG.

Plan B:

Trade Dwight for a 1st rounder.

Trade Pau for a 2nd rounder

Trade MWP for a bag of shit.

Don't add any more contracts.

Let Kobe play fuckball for the next season and a half and climb up the record books.

Rebuild in 2014.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The person who was supposed to help Dwight after he was forced to help someone else's man.

Lakers didn't lose cuz of defense. Lost cuz of tos and rebounds.

That's called shit D

Damn stop defending Howard. He stunk it up.

Harden and Lin were both garbage and I'll call it that way win or loss.

giri

Plan B:

Let Kobe play fuckball for the next season and a half and climb up the record books.

Rebuild in 2014.

Oh god. Please do this. PLEASE DO THIS.

uly 11, 2012: Traded Steve Nash to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 2013 1st round draft pick, a 2013 2nd round draft pick, a 2014 2nd round draft pick and a 2015 1st round draft pick.

linsivvi

Plan B:

Rebuild in 2014.

Kobe's on pace to pass MJ in the scoring list this season. Let's do this.

Oh god. Please do this. PLEASE DO THIS.

What if the Lakers get back their own picks?

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
that dude getting dissed makes me sad

the last guy lebron dissed looked like a idiot

this guy seems heartbroken

I swear LeBron dissed some kid in Boston back when he was with the Cavs too

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I thought Portland was on the verge of being Kings-bad, but instead they're just Lakers-bad.

Branduil

Anyway, three of the most prominent examples of the hacking strategy in recent times(Shaq, Ben Wallace, Haywood) have all played prominent roles on championship teams, so it's not like it's some kind of foolproof strategy.

Top Bottom