• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

Actually this will force him to take his free throw shooting seriously so I'm all for this.

He will never shoot decent. Ever ever ever. It has nothing to do its taking them seriously.

A ft is the most basic shot. You are what you are after 3 years in the league or around then. It's all muscle memory.

God that game was frustrating. I cannot stand watching this hacking. Change the rule. Lakers will struggle to win close games. It ruins the offensive rhythm for a quick offense and let's the other team gather itself for theirs.

Turnovers continue to kill this team. 19 again. Giving free points away. Their ft defense is good but fuckig turnovers. Sigh.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Who the heck is Greg Smith and how did he destroy the Fakers?

He was a pretty damn good rookie d league player and summer camp player who made the team. He's shown flashes of having a nice offensive game and he just came up huge tonight and exploited the overrated Howard :p

He made ft's when it counted too... Howard could learn a thing or two from the kid.

Sometimes rules reward uncompetitive tactics and should be changed.

You know that no professional sport still exists with its original rulebook, right?

This is honestly the equivalent of saying you should ban intentional walks from baseball, or ban teams from taking a knee in football to run down the clock. "Hacking" isn't an actual thing you can ban. It's a strategy. You can't get rid of it without completely changing and fucking up the game. You going to call every off the ball foul a tech now?

linsivvi

He will never shoot decent. Ever ever ever. It has nothing to do its taking them seriously.

A ft is the most basic shot. You are what you are after 3 years in the league or around then. It's all muscle memory.

God that game was frustrating. I cannot stand watching this hacking. Change the rule. Lakers will struggle to win close games. It ruins the offensive rhythm for a quick offense and let's the other team gather itself for theirs.

Turnovers continue to kill this team. 19 again. Giving free points away. Their ft defense is good but fuckig turnovers. Sigh.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45076806&postcount=2385

60% to 49% and now 47% is a pretty steep drop. Nobody's asking him to shoot 70% or anything.

KingGondo

Banned
He was a pretty damn good rookie d league player and summer camp player who made the team. He's shown flashes of having a nice offensive game and he just came up huge tonight and exploited the overrated Howard :p

He made ft's when it counted too... Howard could learn a thing or two from the kid.
Morey the Wizard!

Vahagn

Pretty Obvious Fix Here. From the 6 minute mark until the 2 minute mark, play a Pau-Jamison Front court.

People acting like Dwight can improve his free throw shooting is just crazy. You're going to be losing games waiting for him to creep up to 65% and he's never gonna get there.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"@NBAGuru: Zach Randolph (38 pts, 22 reb) becomes just the 2nd player in 10 years (Dwight in '11-12) to go for 38+ pts and 22+ reb."

filler

Banned
316p6hxjpg.gif

pilonv1

This is honestly the equivalent of saying you should ban intentional walks from baseball, or ban teams from taking a knee in football to run down the clock. "Hacking" isn't an actual thing you can ban. It's a strategy. You can't get rid of it without completely changing and fucking up the game. You going to call every off the ball foul a tech now?

It's even more stupid because you can prevent it by getting better at foul shooting.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Puddles has a friend lol

pilonv1

Jason Quick ‏@jwquick

Something I wouldn't have predicted I would write on Dec. 4: Lakers and Blazers have same record (8-10), and Blazers have won only meeting

so many shots fired its like a warzone

Do they call every off ball foul under two a tech?

It ruins the game. If every team had a player like Dwight you'd see how fast it would be change as th end of evey quarter is a foulfest

It should be changes because it makes games unbearable to watch. Always thought it always will.

But until its changed fucking bench Dwight.

linsivvi

Puddles has a friend lol

Yeah I can't believe reading it. Mamba is better than this...

It ruins the game. If every team had a player like Dwight you'd see how fast it would be change as th end of evey quarter is a foulfest

Nobody else has a player like Dwight. He's the only eligible player who has shot under 50% since Shaq in 05-06. Even Dwight wasn't this terrible until last season.

Well Josh Smith is shooting under 50% now but it'll go back up based on his past performance and the small number of FTs he's shot this season.

Branduil

Considering Dwight doesn't seem interested in playing good defense anymore there's really no reason for him to be on the floor in the closing minutes

Remember when people compared Dwight to the centers of previous decades?

Dwight is really killing his legacy right now.

It should be changes because it makes games unbearable to watch. Always thought it always will.

They should just ban players who can't make 50% of their free throws.

Problem fixed.

So what's your idea? Make every off the ball foul a shot and the ball all game long? And THAT won't ruin the game?

So what's your idea? Make every off the ball foul a shot and the ball all game long? And THAT won't ruin the game?

Dude they already solved this in the final two minutes. Why not just extend it all game?

Do you see off ball unintentional fouls get techs? The answer is no. This isn't a problem. You do realize players tell the refs they will foul first, right?

Puddles

Banned
This is honestly the equivalent of saying you should ban intentional walks from baseball, or ban teams from taking a knee in football to run down the clock.

I have called for both of those things in the past. Especially taking a knee.

Anything that takes away from the game in its pure form doesn't belong. All these little meta-games can get thrown right out, IMO.

Dude they already solved this in the final two minutes. Why not just extend it all game?

Do you see off ball unintentional fouls get techs? The answer is no. This isn't a problem. You do realize players tell the refs they will foul first, right?

They tell them that so that they don't call a flagrant. Really there is no difference between an intentional foul and an unintentional foul. You would never be able to regulate that. It would result in every off the ball foul, all game long, leading to a shot and the ball back. That would be stupid.

I have called for both of those things in the past. Especially taking a knee.

Anything that takes away from the game in its pure form doesn't belong. All these little meta-games can get thrown right out, IMO.

Oh wow. Don't you get it? Taking a knee isn't a "thing". It's just a down. It's QB taking a sack. You could never ban "taking a knee" in the same way you couldn't ban the "Hack-a-XXX" strategy.

isn't that the point? not every team has a shit ft shooter like dwight so why not exploit the weakness?

you're being ridiculous, man.

Cipherr

You guys aren't serious with this "Change the rule" stuff are you? Seriously? Just because a guy on your team is bricking FT's, the rule needs to be changed now?

No, play some D, stop turning the ball over, get Howard to raise his % at the line a bit (he didnt do that awful, he split a couple of the trips to the line) and this is an easily winnable game. Cmon now, can't go calling for rule changes just because he can be a liability to your team. Thats what the bench is for. Sit his ass down.

Matrix

How bout.. just make your free throws and that solves the problem.

That and they could have stopped the Rockets on the other side of the ball. They let Greg Smith and Toney Douglas clown them.

Salty damn tears.

Puddles and Mamba both smoking some bad shit. Thankfully the rest of Lakers-age is sane.

Went into my class Lakers had a nice lead, check my phone....2 point lose.

Just change the rule so that only the Lakers are allowed to shoot within 30 feet of the basket!

Branduil

You guys aren't serious with this "Change the rule" stuff are you? Seriously? Just because a guy on your team is bricking FT's, the rule needs to be changed now?

That's unfair. These guys were leading the charge against hack-a-Haywood last year.

They tell them that so that they don't call a flagrant. Really there is no difference between an intentional foul and an unintentional foul. You would never be able to regulate that. It would result in every off the ball foul, all game long, leading to a shot and the ball back. That would be stupid.
You really can't tell he difference between a hooks in the backcourt and the other fouls?

Here's a question for you. Find me a single instance of this being a problem in the final two mins of the game when it is illegal. Just one.

Hint: You won't.

Change the rules so that Billups is forced to retire. The wording would be something like "Any team that has Chauncey Billups on their roster will be fined $500,000 every game that he is on the roster"

This is a better rule than the ones suggested so far today.

Cipherr

That and they could have stopped the Rockets on the other side of the ball. They let Greg Smith and Toney Douglas clown them.

Salty damn tears.

Wiiiide open threes and shit, lol. Kobe fucking up and losing his man. They lost the game on more than just Dwight now that I stop to think about it.

You really can't tell he difference between a hooks in the backcourt and the other fouls?

Here's a question for you. Find me a single instance of this being a problem in the final two mins of the game when it is illegal. Just one.

Hint: You won't.

You can tell the difference while watching, and like you said, the teams alert the refs, what I am saying is you cannot treat them differently in the rules. If you try and say "No more intentional fouling" teams will just stop telling the refs, and start making the fouls look more legit. What are they going to do? A foul is a foul. You can't be letting the refs make judgement calls, that will just make the game even more of a cluster fuck.

Branduil

Salty damn tears.

Puddles and Mamba both smoking some bad shit. Thankfully the rest of Lakers-age is sane.

Change the rule so that the Lakers' centers can camp in the lane without ever getting three-second violations.

Wait that's what happens already.

That's unfair. These guys were leading the charge against hack-a-Haywood last year.
If you go through my post history you will see me making this argument before lakers got Dwight.

I've always had this position.

To those arguing otherwise, should they change the rules back for the final two mins too?

Matrix

Wiiiide open threes and shit, lol. Kobe fucking up and losing his man. They lost the game on more than just Dwight now that I stop to think about it.

Lakers still could have won even with hack a Howard, but they don't know how to play D either.

Cipherr

I can't find a instance of it being a problem in the game we just watched. I didn't even want to leave the room. It sucks for the team trying to get a W and not being able too, but its working as intended.

Top Bottom