• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Dec NBA Season |OT|Runnin' in da mouf of Serg Abaka daily.

You can tell the difference while watching, and like you said, the teams alert the refs, what I am saying is you cannot treat them differently in the rules. If you try and say "No more intentional fouling" teams will just stop telling the refs, and start making the fouls look more legit. What are they going to do? A foul is a foul. You can't be letting the refs make judgement calls, that will just make the game even more of a cluster fuck.

But this is already in the rules for the final two mins. It's never been a problem so why would it now? You're talking about the easiest call in the game.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
still mad that D12 can't shoot fts but can't style like Shaq?

I can't find a instance of it being a problem in the game we just watched. I didn't even want to leave the room. It sucks for the team trying to get a W and not being able too, but its working as intended.

Don't think you understood my question. I asked ninja to find an example of refs getting an unintentional foul called as intentional in the final two minutes.

But this is already in the rules for the final two mins. It's never been a problem so why would it now? You're talking about the easiest call in the game.

No in the final 2 minutes an off the ball foul results in free throw and the ball back, on any off the ball foul, not just when fouling a shitty FT shooter.

giri

Change the rules so that Billups is forced to retire. The wording would be something like "Any team that has Chauncey Billups on their roster will be fined $500,000 every game that he is on the roster"

This is a better rule than the ones suggested so far today.

Signed.

KingKong

Reminder that the Lakers were the 3rd seed last year with Mike Brown and a core of Kobe/Gasol/Bynum

Maybe instead of trying so hard to force a superteam, they should have focused on role players

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
How in the hell did the Rockets come back to win? I wanted to watch the game, but I don't have comcast.

Hack a Howard who can't hit fts and won't get benched, Greg Smith and Toney Douglas lol wut, KoMe trying to do too much by himself and Lakers don't play D in the 4th.

Vahagn

Hacking A Dwight isn't like taking a knee. Taking a knee is to prevent injuries or running up the score in a game that's handily won. It's essentially like a basketball player dribbling out the final 24 seconds of the game instead of running a play or trying to score...except with a much higher chance of injuries in football.

While I don't want to see Hack-a-XXX removed...it still does make the game really ugly to watch.

And Lulz at people saying that Phil couldn't save this team. Just look at NY's record last year before and after D'Antoni was fired. If Woodsen could fix the Knicks, Phil could fix the Lakers.

D'Antoni has NO IDEA how to properly utilize personnel that doesn't fit into the small-ball with a great PG mold.

If only Howard was allowed to dunk his foul shots.

Too bad a former Laker caused that rule to be changed.

November%252028%252C%25201956%2520-%2520Wilt%2520Dunks%2520his%2520free%2520throws.jpg

Hacking A Dwight isn't like taking a knee. Taking a knee is to prevent injuries or running up the score in a game that's handily won. It's essentially like a basketball player dribbling out the final 24 seconds of the game instead of running a play or trying to score...except with a much higher chance of injuries.

It's the same in that it is a strategy a team uses that is well within the rules of the game. They aren't doing anything out of the ordinary. They are taking a down. You going to say "No you aren't allowed to take a down!"? Same way you can't say "No you aren't allowed to foul Dwight on purpose!" So what? Just make players prom-prom that the foul was a total accident?

Branduil

Hack-a-**** only exists because certain guys can't make the easiest shot in basketball.

The fault lies with the players, not the rules.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Hacking A Dwight isn't like taking a knee. Taking a knee is to prevent injuries or running up the score in a game that's handily won. It's essentially like a basketball player dribbling out the final 24 seconds of the game instead of running a play or trying to score...except with a much higher chance of injuries in football.

While I don't want to see Hack-a-XXX removed...it still does make the game really ugly to watch.

And Lulz at people saying that Phil couldn't save this team. Just look at NY's record last year before and after D'Antoni was fired. If Woodsen could fix the Knicks, Phil could fix the Lakers.

D'Antoni has NO IDEA how to properly utilize personnel that doesn't fit into the small-ball with a great PG mold.

Actually players are going to foul in the last mins taking away the rule puts players in more danger of getting hurt than with it in place

also the Lakers lost with Harden going 3-19? And it's the bu-bu-bu-rules?

exarkun

Everyone is actively getting trolled by Puddles' joke that he has been continuing from this afternoon.

Smh blackace for stepping in and showing them the error of their ways.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/sports/basketball_players_who_caused_rule_changes.htm

Basketball Players Who Caused Rule Changes

by Ron Kurtus (16 March 2006)

Several basketball players had such a physical advantage and were so dominant in their play that they caused the rules of the game to be changed. These players were George Mikan, Wilt Chamberlain and Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). The rule changes were supposed to reduce their dominance, but they actually made these players better in their play. It shows that being forced to learn new skills can lead to better performance.

Questions you may have include:

What rule change did George Mikan cause?
What rule change did Wilt Chamberlain cause?
What rule change did Lew Alcindor cause?

This lesson will answer those questions.
George Mikan

George Mikan was the first National Basket Association (NBA) "big-man" that at 6-10 had the coordination and skill to dominate the game during his time. He developed a deadly hook-shot with either hand while in college. In the NBA, he controlled the area around the basket to such a degree that the league widened the free throw lane and initiated the 3-second rule to give other players a chance. The 3-second rule states that an offensive player cannot be inside the free-throw lane for more that 3-seconds.

The rule changes resulted in Mikan using his hook more, making him a better all-around player.
Wilt Chamberlain

When Wilt Chamberlain was in high school, he had a unique way of shooting free-throws. He would stand at the top of the key, throw the ball up toward the basket, take two steps, jump toward the rim and jam the ball through the net. Doing this resulted in basketball rules to state that a player cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line when shooting a free-throw.

Chamberlain had problems shooting free-throws throughout his career. The rule did not really improve is already dominant game.
Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar)

When Lew Alcindor started playing basketball in college for UCLA, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) officials felt that he was too dominant a player--one who could dunk the ball at will. They felt he would be unstoppable, so they changed the rules to forbid dunking in college games. This was called the "Alcindor Rule."

After he graduated from college, the rule was rescinded, and players were allowed to dunk again. (It makes you wonder about the qualifications of those NCAA officials.)

As a result of the rule, Alcindor developed a good hook shot, which he used effectively during his playing days in college and the NBA. He later changed his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
Summary

These three great basketball players caused rules of the game to be changed in order to prevent a talented, tall player from dominating the game. In general, the rule changes actually helped to make the player more well-rounded. It shows that being forced to learn new skills can lead to better performance.

Howard should learn a new skill called free throw shooting.

Vahagn

It's the same in that it is a strategy a team uses that is well within the rules of the game. They aren't doing anything out of the ordinary. They are taking a down. You going to say "No you aren't allowed to take a down!"? Same way you can't say "No you aren't allowed to foul Dwight on purpose!" So what? Just make players prom-prom that the foul was a total accident?

Ehhh, we're getting into syntax here.

The NBA parallel to taking a knee is dribbling out the clock. Both are mainly to prevent injuries with the added benefit of minimizing turnovers or running up the score.

There is no real football equivalent to Hack-A-Dwight because there is no real football equivalent to the Free Throw that can be forced upon the offensive team by the defensive team. In other words, you can't, at will, force an offensive team to kick a 60 yard FG instead of running a traditional play.

Actually players are going to foul in the last mins taking away the rule puts players in more danger of getting hurt than with it in place

also the Lakers lost with Harden going 3-19? And it's the bu-bu-bu-rules?

I guess we are looking at this differently. Fouling Dwight isn't designed to prevent injuries, it's a gimmick strategy designed to minimize offensive output based upon playing the percentages. Like walking a on-fire home-run hitter instead of manning up and trying to strike him out. It's a defensive tactic used against the offense. Whereas taking a knee is a tactic done by the offense to prevent injuries, prevent a turnover, and not run up the score. Much like crossing half court and then dribbling out the clock of a game that's in hand.

And, I never said remove the Hack-A-XXXX rule. It does make the game ugly to watch, but it would put a band-aid over the weakness of a piss poor free throw shooter and that's not fair to players who can make their free throws.

Top Bottom