• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

When Kobe is asked why he plays even when a bit hurt be cites fans who paid not his competitiveness.

Healthy players should play always IMO. That's what they're paid to do.

Then we should never have garbage time. Make players play hard the whole game regardless of the score. Don't ever complain about keeping a player in the game when there's a big lead or players going hard to dunk or make risky plays even when they are winning.

If you don't, then you're just being hypocritical.

There are 15 players on a team's roster, a coach can choose who to play and for how long. Unless a team is deliberately throwing the game like scoring on their own basket, they are competing and are trying to win.

That was a lot like aRaptors game this season. Play really well, winning in the dying minutes. 8 turnovers in the 4th. Lose game. Goes to show you need an "all-star" caliber player to finish games. Still I gotta respect the Spurs players that did play.

snack

That was a lot like aRaptors game this season. Play really well, winning in the dying minutes. 8 turnovers in the 4th. Lose game. Goes to show you need an "all-star" caliber player to finish games. Still I gotta respect the Spurs players that did play.
Your Raptors play like this with a full roster. The Spurs played like this with just the bench. lol

If I was a serious Spurs fan though, I wouldn't give a shit about a random ass game in November, especially given the fact that they have played well tonight. Has this not been a good game? Or am I on the wrong TNT channel?

If you were a low-middle class diehard Spurs fan living in Florida who decided that your Christmas present to your family was going to be to drop a grand to take them to their first NBA game, and Pop decided to sit you and your kids' favorite players because he doesn't give a fuck and wants to play the troll, this would sit well with you? I'm sure you would make the best of it but this wouldn't possibly leave a bad taste in your mouth the next time you were thinking about attending a game? Pop might not have to worry about this, but Stern does and it's well within his rights to be ashamed.

I thought Toronto named him the Red Rocket because he road to the TTC(Toronto Transit) to work and its named the Red Rocket.

Your Raptors play like this with a full roster. The Spurs played like this with just the bench. lol

Haha exactly my point, our team is a decent bench team.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
haha Texas Legends have Chris Douglas Roberts AND Chris Roberts on the roster

Lkr

If you were a low-middle class diehard Spurs fan living in Florida who decided that your Christmas present to your family was going to be to drop a grand to take them to their first NBA game, and Pop decided to sit you and your kids' favorite players because he doesn't give a fuck and wants to play the troll, this would sit well with you? I'm sure you would make the best of it but this wouldn't possibly leave a bad taste in your mouth the next time you were thinking about attending a game? Pop might not have to worry about this, but Stern does and it's well within his rights to be ashamed.

i would probably save myself the money and see them play the magic

etiolate

Banned

That's a very small amount of people. The league is more regional than you are implying. Just because Laker fans are bandwagon born it doesn't mean the entire league operates by such behavior.

Then we should never have garbage time. Make players play hard the whole game regardless of the score. Don't ever complain about keeping a player in the game when there's a big lead or players going hard to dunk or make risky plays even when they are winning.

If you don't, then you're just being hypocritical.

There are 15 players on a team's roster, a coach can choose who to play and for how long. Unless a team is deliberately throwing the game like scoring on their own basket, they are competing and are trying to win.
Big leads and injuries are natural part of the games. People understand that. Sending healthy stars home is not. People pay with the expectation they play when healthy. Circumstances affect minutes be it leads, fouls, or performance. That's fine

The spurs did not give their intent prior to the tickets being sold.

snack

I thought Toronto named him the Red Rocket because he road to the TTC(Toronto Transit) to work and its named the Red Rocket.

Haha exactly my point, our team is a decent bench team.

But at least you got a NBA team in your city.

I still miss my Vancouver Grizzlies.

FFFUUUUUUUU

jobber

I'm sure it's a bunch of Bogut fans that bought tickets to see him play in their area then he has some secret surgery that will sideline him for weeks. I'm sure those fans want a refund.

That's a very small amount of people. The league is more regional than you are implying. Just because Laker fans are bandwagon born it doesn't mean the entire league operates by such behavior.

Or like how you will still root for the Queens when they are in Seattle or Anaheim next year?

Same song for a Heat fan. You pick your games based off of match ups and you only have the chance to go to one? Spurs v. Heat seems like a great choice. This isn't late season garbage time, so barring injuries you expect to see some Spurs stars.... SURPRISE!!! You've just been Popovitched!

Pimpwerx

It's not a bad point, but ironically, the Spurs tix are never a big draw down here. I believe there were $10 or $15 tix for 400 level to tonight's game. PEACE.

What about fans paying to see lebron or Kobe or cp3 in other cities?

I don't understand the position that its okay to shit on fans made by actual fans n

Lkr

Same song for a Heat fan. You pick your games based off of match ups and you only have the chance to go to one? Spurs v. Heat seems like a great choice. This isn't late season garbage time, so barring injuries you expect to see some Spurs stars.... SURPRISE!!! You've just been Popovitched!

once again i don't think the heat fans worry about this when they get to see lbj/wade/bosh/ray/etc on a nightly basis

Big leads and injuries are natural part of the games. People understand that. Sending healthy stars home is not. People pay with the expectation they play when healthy. Circumstances affect minutes be it leads, fouls, or performance. That's fine

Should the Warriors have been fined for trading Monta and Udoh for an injured Bogut? The fans that bought season tickets to see competitive basketball and Monta play were screwed without prior intent given. Yet it was a move that helped them long-term. It's a situation of giving up short-term success for long-term gain and no one here had a problem with it. I don't get the change in opinion from that situation to this one. Spurs fans in Miami would probably want to see their team succeed in the playoffs more than playing all-out in this game and this helps that. Spurs fans in general would also probably like to see a rested Spurs team beat the Grizzlies and that's a home game where more Spurs fans will be.

I'm sure it's a bunch of Bogut fans that bought tickets to see him play in their area then he has some secret surgery that will sideline him for weeks. I'm sure those fans want a refund.

Injuries happen. They are a part of the game and cannot be controlled. As a Spurs fan you should know this as its why Tim Duncan's Larry Holmes flabby ass hasn't been able to win back to back titles.

Pimpwerx

Dear C's fans. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for forsaking Jesus Shuttlesworth and allowing us to get our grubby, undeserving mitts on him and his epic clutchness. He's won 3 games already this season, which I believe is already more than all the game winners from all our other role players in the Big3 era. How's JET working out for you? PEACE.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I agree completely.

Pop doesn't give a shit nor should he. Its not in his interests to look out the league, he only cares about the Spurs as he should.

If Stern and the league doesnt like it then actually create rules that prohibit this. For starters not letting guys fly out early while the team is playing another game. That is just a really bad image for the league. At least make them prop themselves on the end of the bench with a fake injury.

Again, maybe the league should look at their shitty scheduling? You think if the situation was reversed, and the Spurs hadn't played since the weekend and the Heat had played 5 games in 6 nights (one of which was a double overtime game) that Pop would have sat his players? I doubt it. Hell, even if it had been just 3 games in 5 nights, Pop probably would have played at least 2 of those players.

jobber

Injuries happen. They are a part of the game and cannot be controlled. As a Spurs fan you should know this as its why Tim Duncan's Larry Holmes flabby ass hasn't been able to win back to back titles.

Rest happens too.

Spurs rest players at home games. It's part of the game now for years.

saF4W.jpg

Darkman M

Wait are you guys really that naive to think pop picked this particular game to rest his 3 best players just to give them the rest?

PBY

Banned
Good/bad heat came out tonight. Oh well, worth it for that ray dagger

And Darkman, nah. But I don't think its about making a statement or anything, its just the fact that the its just a regular season game. Doesn't matter if you beat the Heat or the Raps, a W is a W. Pop knows theyve had a rough stretch, knows its going to be reaaal tough too beat the Heat- its a risk/reward thing.

I agree completely.

Pop doesn't give a shit nor should he. Its not in his interests to look out the league, he only cares about the Spurs as he should.

If Stern and the league doesnt like it then actually create rules that prohibit this. For starters not letting guys fly out early while the team is playing another game. That is just a really bad image for the league. At least make them prop themselves on the end of the bench with a fake injury.

Have Vince teach guys how to do this

etiolate

Banned
Are the fans happier if Duncan, Parker and Manu suit up and get blown out because they can't handle the pace? Are they happier with a blowout where the stars suit up and likely don't play the 4th? Or are they happier with a game that's actually worth watching for the whole 48 minutes?

giri

What about fans paying to see lebron or Kobe or cp3 in other cities?

I don't understand the position that its okay to shit on fans made by actual fans n

You defender of the weak and poor you, what a good soul.

lol.

pops there to win titles, not your heart.

Should the Warriors have been fined for trading Monta and Udoh for an injured Bogut? The fans that bought season tickets to see competitive basketball and Monta play were screwed without prior intent given. Yet it was a move that helped them long-term. It's a situation of giving up short-term success for long-term gain and no one here had a problem with it. I don't get the change in opinion from that situation to this one. Spurs fans in Miami would probably want to see their team succeed in the playoffs more than playing all-out in this game and this helps that. Spurs fans in general would also probably like to see a rested Spurs team beat the Grizzlies and that's a home game where more Spurs fans will be.
Fans understand trades are part of the game.

What pop did is not. And there was no advance warning at all

linsivvi

Rest happens too.

This.

It's very dangerous to say the commissioner can step in and say you are not allowed to rest such and such players because of the fans.

Teams also routinely rest players at the 2nd game of back-to-backs and/or restrict their minutes.

And the Spurs' circumstances is that they think their key players are tired and need the rest. The commissioner has no business making judgement calls on what is allowed or not. Either state it explicitly in the league rule and get it approved by the rules committee, or he should stfu.

Anyway, Stern should first sanction Pau for taking the season off. He definitely did not "give his intent of not showing up this season prior to the tickets being sold".

Just saw this graphic on ESPN

Spurs: 11th road game this season, 6th road game in 9 days, 4th game this week
Heat: 14th overall game this season, 1st game since Saturday, 5th game in two weeks.

Fuck off Stern.

It was actually a good game though. Who knows the starers for the Spurs might have made the game less interesting. Maybe Spurs blow out Miami, or maybe their starters are just tired and old and get blown out.

Doomsayer

It was a good game.

Close throughout the whole way through, but hero ball didn't prevail in the end.

I don't know what Neal was thinking.

James to Allen is going to be pretty much unstoppable come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom