• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

Stern fined the lakers for benching magic and worthy in the 1990 finale game of the season.

This has happened before. Seems like it's hard to make that argument in court linsivvi when it's bappened at least twice before from what I've found (80's too).

It was 25K. 25K wasn't "substantial sanctions". Buss just didn't give a fuck since the lawyers fee would likely be higher.

AcridMeat

Banned
Jarret Jack you idiot, these last 2 trips have been awful. They better not give him the free throws.

Was just going to say they were playing another good 4th quarter.

edit: wow refs

It was 25K. 25K wasn't "substantial sanctions". Buss just didn't give a fuck since the lawyers fee would likely be higher.
In 1990 it was.

No one knows what stern will do so I'm not going to argue based on what you assume he is doing.

Iggy was dribbling that ball before he got fouled. Should be two not three.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Sure John Wall is hurt but the palys is awful. Should they get a refund too?

I'm just saying it's a slippery slop if you start handing out refunds for poor performances. Especially one that wasn't that bad.

Duncan, Ginobli, and to an extent Parker are old as fuck with a lot of wear on their tires. Just because Kobe doesn't give a fuck doesn't mean older players don't need rest. Doug gave Iggy a ton of rest last year, Brand too. It happens and they were coming off of a long ass stretch. If fans are smart enough to understand injuries (which isn't true since people still get mad at injured players like dopes), then they should understand rest too.
Of course their play is awful, but fans know that beforehand. I wouldn't have a problem with this if Pop had just give a warning. If he had said a week ago or so, "Look, it's a long road trip, so that day, I'm resting my guys."

Canuck76

Banned
Week 16 when the season is over is far different than the middle of the season. If the Patriots were to rest Brady cause he's "tired" this upcoming week, then the NFL would come down hard on the team, especially if it's a national TV game. There's a precedent for late season rests, so fans feel that they have a "warning". Random resting of all your big stars when they're healthy in the middle of the season isn't.

Think about it though, depending on when you buy those tickets you don't know for sure if that's a key game, or the playoffs have already been decided. There's still the same uncertainty. It's maybe a bit unfortunate to the fans but i think every team has the right to do this. Injuries happen all the time, randomly, and you may not see players in that way as well.

That's just an inborn risk fans have to take i think. They don't have the right to demand to see these players just because they bought these tickets. Maybe a game will be a great 2OT thriller. Maybe it'll be a crapfest. It's always a risk.

Also lo and behold this was a tight game! People have nothing to complain about!

Of course their play is awful, but fans know that beforehand. I wouldn't have a problem with this if Pop had just give a warning. If he had said a week ago or so, "Look, it's a long road trip, so that day, I'm resting my guys."

So now he has to run every decision he makes by the league office to make sure it's okay with them?

He is a coach, shit changes on the fly, He sees them more than anyone else. So for his team he decided it would be best for them to rest this game.

and once again ....,he's done this a ton.

DNP-Old.

or would you rather him go "hmmm my dudes are tired but it's a nation TV game...gotta play em...and then get dusted because his team was tired? Or better yet get hurt?

He doesn't owe the fans shit in November. They got a game. And the home fans more than liekly wasn't coming out to see Tim Duncan. Refunds is a joke. You don't get a refund after your team shits the bed, you aren't getting one now.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Think about it though, depending on when you buy those tickets you don't know for sure if that's a key game, or the playoffs have already been decided. There's still the same uncertainty. It's maybe a bit unfortunate to the fans but i think every team has the right to do this. Injuries happen all the time, randomly, and you may not see players in that way as well.

That's just an inborn risk fans have to take i think. They don't have the right to demand to see these players just because they bought these tickets. Maybe a game will be a great 2OT thriller. Maybe it'll be a crapfest. It's always a risk.

Also lo and behold this was a tight game! People have nothing to complain about!
I get what you're saying, but you've got to understand where Stern is coming from. This is no longer a sport, it's a business built on entertainment, and its stars. That's how they've built this up to the point where players get paid millions. Many fans don't care about seeing a competitive game, if they can't see their stars. That's how these games are sold to the networks, and how they're marketed to fans. Here in Chicago, a game isn't isn't marketed as, "come see a great game between the Bulls and Lakers!" It's, "Come see Kobe!"

That's how the NBA has built itself into the multibillion dollar machine that it is. That's why Pop gets paid millions. He coaches stars, and it's stars people want to see. It may not be fair. It may not help from a sports perspective, but it's the truth.

Canuck76

Banned
I get what you're saying, but you've got to understand where Stern is coming from. This is no longer a sport, it's a business built on entertainment, and its stars. That's how they've built this up to the point where players get paid millions. Many fans don't care about seeing a competitive game, if they can't see their stars. That's how these games are sold to the networks, and how they're marketed to fans. Here in Chicago, a game isn't isn't marketed as, "come see a great game between the Bulls and Lakers!" It's, "Come see Kobe!"

That's how the NBA has built itself into the multibillion dollar machine that it is. That's why Pop gets paid millions. He coaches stars, and it's stars people want to see. It may not be fair. It may not help from a sports perspective, but it's the truth.

Yeah i get that. And i don't know about the bylaws of the nba or whatever. I'm sure it's probably legal for stern to do that. But it's still wrong to me.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What if a star player acts up? Is a coach not allowed to discipline him and make him sit out a marquee match-up?

What if a star player asks for the rest? Is a coach not allowed to grant his star player that wish to preserve his health?

What if a star player is coming back from injury, is cleared to play, but the coach decides to have him debut after a marquee match-up versus a ho-hum opponent to ease him in?

What if a star player is coming back from injury, is cleared to play, but the coach only plays him 10 minutes to ease him in?

What if a star player is having a terrible game and the coach decides to sit him for most of the second half in order to keep the hot hand on the floor that plays the same position?

What if a coach fucking coaches?

What if a star player acts up? Is a coach not allowed to discipline him and make him sit out a marquee match-up?

What if a star player asks for the rest? Is a coach not allowed to grant his star player that wish to preserve his health?

What if a star player is coming back from injury, is cleared to play, but the coach decides to have him debut after a marquee match-up versus a ho-hum opponent to ease him in?

What if a star player is coming back from injury, is cleared to play, but the coach only plays him 10 minutes to ease him in?

What if a star player is having a terrible game and the coach decides to sit him for most of the second half in order to keep the hot hand on the floor that plays the same position?

black-preacher-meme-generator-preach-it-brother-84c7bf.jpg

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
What if a star player gets in REALLY bad foul trouble early in both halves and only plays fifteen minutes? Should the league have unwritten rules to accomodate star players getting the benefit of the doub--- hahaha oh wait it already does.

Flash

So what if a player is in the coach's dog house? And what about at the end of the season when teams rest their players? I remember going to a Heat vs. Raptors game in I believe March 2011 but they sat out James Bosh and Wade...not exactly the game I paid for so do I deserve a refund?

I think it sets a bad precedent to start taking action... Especially against a team like spurs who have older players and just game off 6 games in 10 days. I get that it's a business but that doesn't mean Stern should interfere with how coaches do their job.

Edit: damn it Reilo beat me to the what if game lol

SamuraiX-

What if a star player gets in REALLY bad foul trouble early in both halves and only plays fifteen minutes? Should the league have unwritten rules to accomodate star players getting the benefit of the doub--- hahaha oh wait it already does.

gotdayum

Pop was right in what he did.

Stern is a POS.

And laughing my ass off @ that fucker threatening "sanctions"...what are they gonna do, strip scholarships and enforce a 2 year Bowl game ban?

GTFO, asshole.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
DubbaYa Cee DubbYa?

da rasslin?

Surprised Kenny remembers WCW

WCW is the main reason he has a job :D

What if they don't chip?

Where is the line drawn?

generally this is how I feel about DNPs. A case by case basis is necessary in regards to playing guys.

If Pop or any coach for that matter is making boneheaded decisions that hurt the team or their chances to win, it's up to ownership to over rule him or let him go.

It's up to fans to vocalize displeasure with bad coaching.

It's not up to Stern.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Does any of this apply to what happened here? and I've already said, this isn't a sport anymore, it's entertainment. "Coaches fucking coaching" doesn't apply here anymore, and hasn't in a long time. Pop wants to get paid millions? Then, he's going to have to change some things.

Does any of this apply to what happened here? and I've already said, this isn't a sport anymore, it's entertainment. "Coaches fucking coaching" doesn't apply here anymore, and hasn't in a long time. Pop wants to get paid millions? Then, he's going to have to change some things.

And what happens if overwork causing an injury to his aging trio?

Mike Brown damn near tried to kill Pau Gasol last year with his fucking overwork.

I applaud Pop for knowing his guys and looking at the big picture (all while fucking Stern on a nationally televised game)

That's what this shit is about.

If he sat them during that Magic game, not a single fuck would have been given.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Dunno how the league could make a player play in a game. It's near impossible. Even if they put on a warm up, Stern can't say you have to play to play everyone in a warm up. Rose sat on the bench with warm ups on but had a torn ACL.

Steve Trash and Grant Hill missed a lot of games last season to get rest. They weren't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom