• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your boy is getting better. Not saying to have all the hope in the world...but he's shooting good from deep right now. The percentage is just below average shooting wise.

Guys can get better at shooting. They won't turn into world beaters, but they can become good enough to allow the other parts of their game to be more effective.

And Wall wasn't and isn't Rondo bad in terms of shooting. He shoots .76 and .78 percent from FT. Rondo has literally never shot above 65% from FT his entire career. And as a rookie coming from Caliparis fucking get me drafted system and AAU ball he shot .30 from deep as a rook...that's like a percentage point below Rondo and Wades best ever 3pt %.

His sophmore year was an outlier. He literally took the 3pt shot out of his game completely. Someone told him not to shoot those. Maybe Flip. His percentage is bad because he literally shot 3's when there was maybe a second left on the shotclock and he had no choice.

I see Wall being a Wade tier shooter in the future, which is just good enough to keep defenders/defenses honest.

I'm just joshing with you. I like Wall...I wish we had him still even over Jrue (don't know why but I just don't believe yet....lol). I hope Wall can get it together. I don't like seeing guys bust and you guys need to get good sometime soon.

Just find a way to dump Crawford and the last of the Swag crew will be purged.

John Wall has confidence and cares about getting better. I see neither of these things from Turner.

Yeah. I joke about Turner being emo but dude really takes every negative thign he does really hard.

Doug always looking to bench his ass doesn't help but still he on the verge of tears whenever he fucks up. When he doesn't give a fuck, he's solid. I guess Nick Young can be a positive influence....ok not really.

Doug always looking to bench his ass doesn't help but still he on the verge of tears whenever he fucks up. When he doesn't give a fuck, he's solid. I guess Nick Young can be a positive influence....ok not really.

Beal cried when we lost to the Celtics earlier this year.

I'm afraid he's got some Turner in him.

linsivvi

Actually Stern has close to ultimate power and there isn't much to dispute that

He changed the ball because his wife said leather was bad

As for Pop he is a political creature

He stands by his players but he knew what he was doing from the start

He has the ultimate power to change every aspects of the game but he can't punish people without at least setting up the rules first. Doing that would be ridiculous.

The last paragraph from the article is what I agree with:
Don’t like his move? Fine, change — or clearly explain — the rules, lighten the schedule or invent bionic body parts to overcome serious injuries. Until then, let the man live.

Edit: And yeah, all Adrian Wojnarowski writes are hit pieces. His only values are the trade rumors because he's very close to the agents. I still remember the player union piece he wrote during the lockout.

Uh yeah?

They should duck every good team?

Glad you thought that one out pa

In two days they are about to play the top team Western Conference(and the league) who also happens to be the top team in their division. Winning this game is important as their record in their division and their conference are tiebreakers for position in the playoffs. In the Tiebreaker list Division Leader is the number one option, Conference record is number 3, conference record against playoff teams(which the griz are most likely to be) is number 4. Other conference record is the number 5 option. You are saying that they should expend a lot of energy in a meaningless game two days before they play a game that has a lot of importance for them? lol.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
So, apparently, Pop said that he knew way back during the summer that he was going to rest his guys during this game. Holy shit, give the fans and the league a warning then. And please don't give me that "element of surprise, so he could win" nonsense. Pop knew that game yesterday was practically a forfeit, and apparently, he doesn't care about the regular season anyway.

And I pointed out yesterday that the only reason the Spurs hung around is because that's how the Heat have been playing this season. Keep a team around, then kill them in the closing moments.

giri

So, apparently, Pop said that he knew way back during the summer that he was going to rest his guys during this game. Holy shit, give the fans and the league a warning then. And please don't give me that "element of surprise, so he could win" nonsense. Pop knew that game yesterday was practically a forfeit, and apparently, he doesn't care about the regular season anyway.

And I pointed out yesterday that the only reason the Spurs hung around is because that's how the Heat have been playing this season. Keep a team around, then kill them in the closing moments.

Thats an interesting way to say that they've not been playing defence and expecting to be able to just turn it on at any moment.

I hope stern fines THEM if they aren't the top defensive team by the end of the year. Thats just mailing it in. Robbing the fans of brilliant defense, the core of what they built their championship on.

How do you figure?

Let's rest the players against a fairly weak team like the Magic and play the stars on national TV or take my ball and go home

lol ok

Because resting yesterday gives them a full two days rest. If he rested them vs Orlando then you get one day off Wednesday, then the Heat Thurs, then off today. Two days off in a row (Thurs + Fri) would be more beneficial in terms of giving them rest so that's what Pop did, the right decision. Who their opponents were had little relevance.

Thats an interesting way to say that they've not been playing defence and expecting to be able to just turn it on at any moment.

I hope stern fines THEM if they aren't the top defensive team by the end of the year. Thats just mailing it in. Robbing the fans of brilliant defense, the core of what they built their championship on.

Nah, I want them to get shellshocked when they realize they can't coast in the finals.

I hope they forgot how hard they tried and failed two years ago and how hard it was to win last year. I hope they bought into their own hype and think they can shift gears and then get bounced.

It'd be so poetic for Bron to have a lonely asterisk ring.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

You miss the point. Many of these fans don't care about good defense or watching competitive games. They just want to see the stars, and take pictures of them. That's it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Cool. That should be the norm. You can rest your players whenever you want, you just have to pay $250K. Pop and the Spurs are all about winning, right? Some people claimed yesterday that Pop doesn't care about the money, so I'm sure he'll take it out of his own salary, lol.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
David Stern: "The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game..."
Stern notes it was "the team’s only regular-season visit to Miami."
According to NBA, Spurs were in violation of league policy "against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA."
Stern: "The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way."

It's about the money, stupid! If the Spurs played Denver on TNT? nofucksgiven

Yeah, Pop pissed off TNT. This isn't about the fans. This is about the conglomerates losing ad revenue.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Yeah, Pop pissed off TNT. This isn't about the fans. This is about the conglomerates losing ad revenue.
Well, duh! Pop knew that as well, and was trying to troll.

reilo

Stern: "Under these circumstances, I have concluded that the Spurs did a disservice to the league and our fans.”

It's all a fucking farce. This isn't about competition or the integrity of the game -- this is about making the media conglomerates happy. All about the dough.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
So... is that 250k going into the league coffers or going back to the poor folks who paid good money to watch the game?

lol

i know lol

that's laughable. and if it ever goes to arbitration, it'll get laughed out of the room

Nuklear

Banned
What a joke at the 250k fine. Even the league brass are bunch of whiny pussies. I'm a Twolves fan and find that fine an insult to the integrity of the league. It's the leagues fault for scheduling so many games so close together not the Spurs.

reilo

This policy was "reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010," league press release says.

Funny how nobody remembered that policy all of those other times...

SoulPlaya

more money than God
What a joke at the 250k fine. Even the league brass are bunch of whiny pussies. I'm a Twolves fan and find that fine an insult to the integrity of the league. It's the leagues fault for scheduling so many games so close together not the Spurs.
It's not simply the league. This is how the players would want it, as well. You try to cut down on the number of games, and revenues would fall, as would salaries. You try to extend the length of the season, but keep the number of games the same, and TV contracts start getting fucked up.

Wow. Fuck off Stern. I hope the Spurs fight this.

And I guess this just means when Pop wants to rest a player, he will put them in for literally a minute, have one of them foul the other team as soon as the tip off is over, and yank them from the game. lol

Pop knowing this in the summer and not telling anyone even 12 hours beforehand is definitely a well executed troll. but fuck that schedule anyways, it was bullshit and everyone knows it.

linsivvi

Pop knowing this in the summer and not telling anyone even 12 hours beforehand is definitely a well executed troll. but fuck that schedule anyways, it was bullshit and everyone knows it.

Since when does a coach have to tell anyone who he's going to play before the start of a game?

Teams won't bench an entire slate of core players again. That's all that matters to me and that's good for my fan experience.

The rest is irrelevant.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Unreal. I can't believe this fine. I can't wait until Stern goes.

Lkr

Teams won't bench an entire slate of core players again. That's all that matters to me and that's good for my fan experience.

The rest is irrelevant.
I thought the game received solid ratings though.
Stern doesn't give a shit about the fans though

linsivvi

naive on what? I made a declaration that I want Stern to do it for tanking which in no way implied I believed he'd do it.

Because the team he owned tanked for a whole season and he even personally vetoed a trade that would've made his team more competitive last season. He endorsed tanking himself.

And yet, somehow, that's not "contrary to the best interests of the NBA".

Because the team he owned tanked for a whole season and he even personally vetoed a trade that would've made his team more competitive last season. He endorsed tanking himself.

he also didn't fine anyone for benching players for over 2 decades.

All I'm saying is I hope that now he fines tankers. I admit he probably won't, but it's what I want to see.

exarkun

The rest is irrelevant.

I mean, if you have season tickets what does it matter? You want the home team to win no matter what so it isn't a disservice to the fans.

If you buys tickets singularly just to see Kobe or Lebron or whatever then that sucks. Football teams do it, soccer teams do it, baseball teams do it. Those ticket buyers know what they are getting into. The players are people and they deserve to be treated as such. If they need the rest, let them rest. Compounded by the really shitty schedule, it makes sense.

Now if my home team started doing that shit on the reg and losing (IE tanking) then its a problem and that is something they need to address. But on the road, on the other side of the country? No fans are being harmed. Its the same as being injured.

So now teams will get fined if they choose to rest their players?

Pops being a troll aside(He should have at least warned the league a day or so before and he obvious was trollin so hard)..that's the precedent set now.

So Boston can't rest KG or Pierce.

Old players have to die or retire because they won't be able to handle back 2 backs.

and playoff teams can't sit guys at the end of the season.

that or lie about it. "oh KG is out because his back hurts a little." or LeBron is taking the night off because his toe stings"...despite both of them actually actyall being able to play.

yay...justice sure was served.

and yeah this was about the fans...oh yeah not the money...but the fans and their experience in a league where half of the teams suck ass.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I mean, if you have season tickets what does it matter? You want the home team to win no matter what so it isn't a disservice to the fans.

If you buys tickets singularly just to see Kobe or Lebron or whatever then that sucks. Football teams do it, soccer teams do it, baseball teams do it. Those ticket buyers know what they are getting into. The players are people and they deserve to be treated as such. If they need the rest, let them rest. Compounded by the really shitty schedule, it makes sense.

Now if my home team started doing that shit on the reg and losing (IE tanking) then its a problem and that is something they need to address. But on the road, on the other side of the country? No fans are being harmed. Its the same as being injured.
Football is a sport built on nameless, faceless guys wearing helmets. However, even they have stars, and if a NFL coach tried to pull what Pop pulled yesterday during the middle of the season during MNF, then Goodell would have put his foot down too.

I like how you speak on behalf of all season ticket holders.

I don't have a problem resting 1 guy at a time, which is something Pop could have done. Sending your entire best healthy 4 home, though, is a slap in the face to certain people. Just like tanking.

I don't like it and I don't want to see it. If you want to do that, then instead forfeit and refund the game.

So now teams will get fined if they choose to rest their players?

Pops being a troll aside(He should have at least warned the league a day or so before and he obvious was trollin so hard)..that's the precedent set now.

So Boston can't rest KG or Pierce.

Old players have to die or retire because they won't be able to handle back 2 backs.

and playoff teams can't sit guys at the end of the season.

that or lie about it. "oh KG is out because his back hurts a little." or LeBron is taking the night off because his toe stings"...despite both of them actually actyall being able to play.

yay...justice sure was served.

and yeah this was about the fans...oh yeah not the money...but the fans and their experience in a league where half of the teams suck ass.

What would have been the difference if Pop had given the NBA an extra day of warning? The schedule was set months ago.

linsivvi

he also didn't fine anyone for benching players for over 2 decades.

All I'm saying is I hope that now he fines tankers. I admit he probably won't, but it's what I want to see.

That first sentence alone should tell you that he's doing this as a power trip. He's selectively exercising an obscure rule that has never been used, probably there as a panic button in case something crazy happens, to punish a team and a coach that he doesn't like.

You can't wish a person to be against something he personally endorses. That's like wishing Mitt Romney would have a change of heart and advocating tax increase of millionaires.

Lkr

Football is a sport built on nameless, faceless guys wearing helmets. However, even they have stars, and if a NFL coach tried to pull what Pop pulled yesterday during the middle of the season during MNF, then Goodell would have put his foot down too.
Not with the player safety shit he is pretending to care about. Belichick sits guys for bullshit reasons all the time and the patriots are a marquee game almost every week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom