• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now teams will get fined if they choose to rest their players?

Pops being a troll aside(He should have at least warned the league a day or so before and he obvious was trollin so hard)..that's the precedent set now.

So Boston can't rest KG or Pierce.

Old players have to die or retire because they won't be able to handle back 2 backs.

and playoff teams can't sit guys at the end of the season.

that or lie about it. "oh KG is out because his back hurts a little." or LeBron is taking the night off because his toe stings"...despite both of them actually actyall being able to play.

yay...justice sure was served.

and yeah this was about the fans...oh yeah not the money...but the fans and their experience in a league where half of the teams suck ass.

1. Stern seemed to carefully pick his words in that resting a single player would be fine but not sending him a top 5. Had Pop resting only Duncan, nothing would have happened.

The argument that now no one can rest players isn't accurate. Seems pretty clear to me.

2. Money and Fans are interconnected. Can't have one without the other.

Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
There will not be any separate fine or suspension levied to Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, league source said.

That first sentence alone should tell you that he's doing this as a power trip. He's selectively exercising an obscure rule that has never been used, probably there as a panic button in case something crazy happens, to punish a team and a coach that he doesn't like.

You can't wish a person to be against something he personally endorses. That's like wishing Mitt Romney would have a change of heart and advocating tax increase of millionaires.

When was the last time someone benched their top available 4 or 5 early season? What is this even comparable to?

I'm telling you, the only thing this will change is that Pop will just have those guys play literally one play, intentionally foul the other team, then yank them for the rest of the game.

I'm telling you, the only thing this will change is that Pop will just have those guys play literally one play, intentionally foul the other team, then yank them for the rest of the game.

Stern will reprimand him for that too. I bet the Spurs owner won't let Pop try to pull something off as a slap in the face to Stern. It's not Pop's money at stake.

I know Pop is a troll at times and everything, but even he has to answer to someone and money is power.

If you think Pop will try to skirt around Stern's actions and go unscathed you're sorely mistaken. Stern sent a clear message to him and his boss. Pop is an adult, not a child. What you said is how a child would react by trying to find a technicality against their mom's orders. That doesn't work well either, does it?

exarkun

I like how you speak on behalf of all season ticket holders.

I don't have a problem resting 1 guy at a time, which is something Pop could have done. Sending your entire best healthy 4 home, though, is a slap in the face to certain people. Just like tanking.

I don't like it and I don't want to see it. If you want to do that, then instead forfeit and refund the game.

I like how you speak on behalf of all the shitty fans in the league.

There are 82 games in the entire season. 82! This will happen maybe once or twice a season. Maybe. And the low chance of it happening means that it would not make sense to regulate it in any real way. Sets a very overbearing precedent.

Stern himself says this was because of a very specific set of circumstances. All 4, only Miami game, nationally televised. If he had rested Duncan and Ginobli would we be even talking about this?

1. Stern seemed to carefully pick his words in that resting a single player would be fine but not sending him a top 5. Had Pop resting only Duncan, nothing would have happened.

The argument that now no one can rest players isn't accurate. Seems pretty clear to me.

2. Money and Fans are interconnected. Can't have one without the other.

When was the last time someone benched their top available 4 or 5 early season? What is this even comparable to?

You really aren't this naive, man. Stern dropped the hammer because Pops tried to swag on him during a national TV game. If he did this against the Bobcats or hell the Magic the day before, this is a non story. It's about the mula. and the Mula only...he doesn't give a fuck about the fan experience.

also Boston sat the big 3 quite a bit during their tenure. We rested Iggy and Brand a ton the last few.

and in the end, why should Stern have power over what a coach does. If Pops played Danny Green would it be OK then? Why the cut off point to how many players he can rest.

Look I get that it wasn't exactly about rest and more so Pops trying to stomp Stern. So cool. It's just the whole thing that Stern has the ability to basically tell a Coach that he can't do specific aspects of his goddam job. He rested his big 4. The Spurs' center or PF isby committee otherwise he probably would have sat 5 dudes.

I don't care if it's precedent or a rule...it's a dumb rule.

But whatever, I can;t wait until this either is ignored later or teams outright lie...This fixes nothing.

Pops will merely say they are banged up next time.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Not with the player safety shit he is pretending to care about. Belichick sits guys for bullshit reasons all the time and the patriots are a marquee game almost every week
He ain't sitting Brady cause he's tired. No one would have cared yesterday if Pop had sat Splitter.

balddemon

Banned
What a sniveling little shit.

XDjnS.gif

sorry, first thing i thought of when you said sniveling

Stern will reprimand him for that too. I bet the Spurs owner won't let Pop try to pull something off as a slap in the face to Stern. It's not Pop's money at stake.

I know Pop is a troll at times and everything, but even he has to answer to someone and money is power.

If you think Pop will try to skirt around Stern's actions and go unscathed you're sorely mistaken. Stern sent a clear message to him and his boss. Pop is an adult, not a child. What you said is how a child would react by trying to find a technicality against their mom's orders. That doesn't work well either, does it?

You think Pop isn't goign to rest his players when he wants? He'll just find random injuries to peg on them. Especially when Duncan and Manu are 36 and 35.

I like how you speak on behalf of all the shitty fans in the league.

There are 82 games in the entire season. 82! This will happen maybe once or twice a season. Maybe. And the low chance of it happening means that it would not make sense to regulate it in any real way. Sets a very overbearing precedent.

Stern himself says this was because of a very specific set of circumstances. All 4, only Miami game, nationally televised. If he had rested Duncan and Ginobli would we be even talking about this?

Which is kind of the point. Pop did this to piss off Stern and Stern got the message and gave back his own that it will be reprimanded.

And I'm fine with that because the fans got treated to shit as a result.

You really aren't this naive, man. Stern dropped the hammer because Pops tried to swag on him during a national TV game. If he did this against the Bobcats or hell the Magic the day before, this is a non story. It's about the mula. and the Mula only...he doesn't give a fuck about the fan experience.

also Boston sat the big 3 quite a bit during their tenure. We rested Iggy and Brand a ton the last few.

and in the end, why should Stern have power over what a coach does. If Pops played Danny Green would it be OK then? Why the cut off point to how many players he can rest.

Look I get that it wasn't exactly about rest and more so Pops trying to stomp Stern. So cool. It's just the whole thing that Stern has the ability to basically tell a Coach that he can't do specific aspects of his goddam job. He rested his big 4. The Spurs' center or PF isby committee otherwise he probably would have sat 5 dudes.

I don't care if it's precedent or a rule...it's a dumb rule.

But whatever, I can;t wait until this either is ignored later or teams outright lie...This fixes nothing.

Pops will merely say they are banged up next time.

All I argued was that

A. teams can still rest players, just not entire slate of players in a single game, especially on national TV, at least not until right before the playoffs.

B. Fans and money are interconnected so to argue it's all about money and not about the fans is erroneous. Can't have one without the other.

I know exactly why Stern did it and I'm saying I'm fine with it. Pop is a big boy. He wanted to take a jab at Stern and now he got hit back. It's his fault if he thought he'd get away with making Stern look bad.

You think Pop isn't goign to rest his players when he wants? He'll just find random injuries to peg on them. Especially when Duncan and Manu are 36 and 35.

You won't see the big 3, green, and leonard all sit at the same time except maybe the final week of the season. And even then I doubt it.

Teams can still rest a player or two at a time, however.

linsivvi

So if a coach sets a curfew on the night before a game and the entire starting unit went out to party he can't bench them too? Or does he need to get Emperor Stern's approval before he can bench them?

What a fucking piece of shit.

It's just an awfully specific rule then.

Not if you think the rule is "don't try to intentionally make stern look bad." Had he done this in the Orlando game, does he get fined? I'm guessing no. I'd ask for the fine the same, but Pop did this to make Stern look bad. And if there's one thing Stern won't tolerate is someone trying to upstage him and make him look weak.

Play with fire, yadda yadda...

edit: I don't get the outrage from some here. It's better for the game that teams don't bench their 4-6 best players for any game. Ignore how or who did what. This outcome is beneficial to you as a fan.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
The rest of the league should protest this by not playing their starters for 1 night.

Every team on one night just say FUCK STERN.

What's he gonna do then?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The rest of the league should protest this by not playing their starters for 1 night.

Every team on one night just say FUCK STERN.

What's he gonna do then?
I would hope the fans teach those teams a lesson by having 1 night where no one buys a ticket or goes to a game.

jobber

I would hope the fans teach those teams a lesson by having 1 night where no one buys a ticket or goes to a game.

too late for that. Teams make money off season tickets and luxury suites that are purchased well in advance.

The fans are there to watch a basketball game. One will be played. Your logic is dead.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
where the fuck is all of these outraged fans at?

Stern is the only one mad about this.
I was talking specifically about Jobber's idea.

You know, the post that I quoted?

too late for that. Teams make money off season tickets and luxury suites that are purchased well in advance.

The fans are there to watch a basketball game. One will be played. Your logic is dead.
Fans are there to see stars. If they just wanted to watch a basketball game, they would go to a HS or local college game.

jobber

Fans are there to see stars. If they just wanted to watch a basketball game, they would go to a HS or local college game.

How do you explain people showing up to watch a game between the Trailblazers and Wizards

True fans are suppose to support anybody wearing your team's jersey

Only bandwagoners come out to see "stars"

SoulPlaya

more money than God
How do you explain people showing up to watch a game between the Trailblazers and Wizards
Tickets are cheap.

Like I've said a million times, I don't mind resting players, but give the fans a bit of a refund, or make the tickets that night a bit cheaper.

jobber

Tickets are cheap.

Like I've said a million times, I don't mind resting players, but give the fans a bit of a refund, or make the tickets that night a bit cheaper.

Quality seats for that game cost $1. Can't make them much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom