• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Nov NBA Season |OT2| Westbrook demands a trade to Grinnell College

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most expensive ticket is on the floor next to the the visitor's bench (basically next to Jack @ Staples) for...

$750.00

YOU
HAVE
GOT
TO
BE
KIDDING
ME.

I WOULD KILL FOR THESE PRICES @ STAPLES.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The most expensive ticket is on the floor next to the the visitor's bench (basically next to Jack @ Staples) for...

$750.00

YOU
HAVE
GOT
TO
BE
KIDDING
ME.

I WOULD KILL FOR THESE PRICES @ STAPLES.

Nah, there's more expensive seats than that the team doesn't list but you have to call in for.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Is behind the basket more expensive than courtside?

There's like Legends seats which are dead center, and across the media row, I think.

I just meant what I'm seeing on StubHub.

The listed tickets are courtside, on the announce table side. Basically you'd be on TV all night.

Yea those are next to the media row table at courtside. The ones across from media row that are courtside aren't listed on the site I don't think.

NawidA

Banned
I get what you're saying, but you've got to understand where Stern is coming from. This is no longer a sport, it's a business built on entertainment, and its stars. That's how they've built this up to the point where players get paid millions. Many fans don't care about seeing a competitive game, if they can't see their stars. That's how these games are sold to the networks, and how they're marketed to fans. Here in Chicago, a game isn't isn't marketed as, "come see a great game between the Bulls and Lakers!" It's, "Come see Kobe!"

That's how the NBA has built itself into the multibillion dollar machine that it is. That's why Pop gets paid millions. He coaches stars, and it's stars people want to see. It may not be fair. It may not help from a sports perspective, but it's the truth.
I love how you're taking the sports entertainment angle here, but ask yourself: What would GGG think of this?

shira

Yea those are next to the media row table at courtside. The ones across from media row that are courtside aren't listed on the site I don't think.
Lebron-Awkward-High-Five-Fail.gif

Money aint everything

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You could argue owners resting older stars is them just protecting their investments/business. If Manu/Td go down and force SA out of the playoffs, The Spurs owner missing out on cash, and if no rest was allowed then you could shorten players' career and take food off their plates.

It's almost stern putting his interests above the owners and even players. It's really not his decision to make.

You can't argue that

He had a game against Orlando the night before

And decided to sit all 3 against the Heat?

And really players and coaches owe their fans the best product available to me it's not much different than Vince saying he dogged it as a raptor
I understand he has an older team and they will need less mins to be fresh for the playoffs but that wasn't what this was about at all

Blackace

Fuck that.

So if Pop flew the team out, had the starters on the court for the jump, immediately called timeout and sent them to the showers, is that cool?

I mean, the fans saw them play, right?

This shit isn't about money to a coach like Pop. It's about WINNING. Period.

A thought of anything less is disrespect of him and the game he loves.

He wasn't trying to win that game

And it is a business and always has been

And Pop is about his paper 2nd highest paid coach in the NBA and makes 6mil a year from fans
It's not saying he can't rest his old team but that was utter crap and disrespectful to the fans and the showmanship that is basketball

And Pop is about his paper 2nd highest paid coach in the NBA and makes 6mil a year from fans
It's not saying he can't rest his old team but that was utter crap and disrespectful to the fans and the showmanship that is basketball

So when Adam Silver said last year that resting players was within Pop's right as a coach he was just joking?

id have more of a issue with it if he did it in one of the cities where the fans are coming to see the visiting team. But Miami, a bandwagon sports town, where they get to see bron, wade, bosh, on the regular? sheeeeit... aint no thang. and the Spurs bench put on a good show last night, went down to the last three or four possessions.

Blackace

So when Adam Silver said last year that resting players was within Pop's right as a coach he was just joking?

It is his right

It's also in David Stern's right to protect the product the NBA has become

Pop is a great can't imagine he had to rest all 3 that night

id have more of a issue with it if he did it in one of the cities where the fans are coming to see the visiting team. But Miami, a bandwagon sports town, where they get to see bron, wade, bosh, on the regular? sheeeeit... aint no thang. and the Spurs bench put on a good show last night, went down to the last three or four possessions.

What about the people who don't get to see either team on the regular?

Well lets see on one hand you've got one of the most respected coaches in the league on the other you got David Stern.

So yea I don't know who was in the right on this, I just know it wasn't Stern.

Blackace

Well lets see on one hand you've got one of the most respected coaches in the league on the other you got David Stern.

So yea I don't know who was in the right on this, I just know it wasn't Stern.
I hate Stern but Pop wasn't "right" in any sense

Being respected doesn't give you a pass

Novid

Banned
The owners benefit from networks like TNT broadcasting their games. They would whoop the Spurs' owners asses if he fucked that up for them. The playoffs don't mean shit if they're not on major networks being broadcasted for top dollar fees.

TNT, despite all the ratings increases, and fine pre game hosts is bush leauge compared to broadcast. Pop made the right choice here and its early in the season...nothing to get worked up about.

Blackace

TNT, despite all the ratings increases, and fine pre game hosts is bush leauge compared to broadcast. Pop made the right choice here and its early in the season...nothing to get worked up about.
Not really he might have beat the magic with the bench and the heat with his starters

Its kind of hard to try and fault Pop when he's been doing the same thing these past years and still finishing at the top of the league. They play the top team in the league saturday, someone who is actually in there conference.

That bein said, this really isn't that big a deal.

Blackace

Its kind of hard to try and fault Pop when he's been doing the same thing these past years and still finishing at the top of the league. They play the top team in the league saturday, someone who is actually in there conference.

That bein said, this really isn't that big a deal.

For me it isn't where they will finish it's just giving Pop the pass to throw a fit because he is mad about the scheduling or whatever

It's like DMC throwing a fit after a foul

giri

For me it isn't where they will finish it's just giving Pop the pass to throw a fit because he is mad about the scheduling or whatever

It's like DMC throwing a fit after a foul

Throw a fit? thats... one way to interpret what pop did. Most would say it's stern throwing the hissy fit.

You can't just send players home lol. You don't have to really play them, but giving them a straight up vacation to be chillin while fans paid a lot of money...that's not right. Guys should at least be in the building in warm ups watching and cheering.

After thinking about it a bit more, I think this is just a power-trip by Stern to get back at Pop for the years that Pop publicly didn't follow Stern's bullshit. Stern's retiring and has nothing to lose at this point so why not make one of the coaches he least likes squirm? If it was about the fans or the money, Stern would have fined the Heat for resting LeBron in the last couple games of the year and the Warriors for resting their players post-trade deadline and the Hornets for resting their players the entire season. But it's not about the fans or the money, Stern just wants to try to get back at Pop.

mhi

NBA schedules fucking suck ass. They should reconsider the 82 game length and take out back to backs imo

The schedule is done by one guy and trust me he has A LOT of stuff to work around. Other events already scheduled at stadium, distance, TV contracts, holidays, etc.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
So Stern suspends Cousins for 2 game for an incident that happened waaaaay after the fans left. Would the Kentucky fans, that pay great money to follow their alumni, get a refund for the games he's not playing in?

(C)Raptors sign Pietrus.

My friend texts me: "Raps got Air France! Finally, a real SF!"

i lol'd then i realized we have derek fisher and vince carter

linsivvi

I agree with both sides of the argument

but fuck Stern

Yeah, I take Pop's side not because I approve of what he does; it does screw fans. I just don't agree that the commissioner should be given the power to do anything unless they make it a rule in the bylaw. Otherwise it's just a slippery slope for power hungry tyrants like Stern to abuse.

The really funny thing is that I remember Adam Silver last year specifically saying the decision to rest players was within the authority of their coaches, and correct me if I'm wrong he was talking about Pop and the Spurs too.

If the C'zzz could keep their own players then these playoffs would be the closest to quality parity that we've seen in years due to Wades decline.

I fucking hate Boston.

Puddles

Banned
I am still so fucking pissed about last night's game. All the goddamn Spurs had to do was hold a 7 point lead with 4:48 left.

Every time I see a score where the Heat won the game by less than they won the fourth quarter (or last few minutes of the fourth quarter), I just want to see LeBron or Bosh get fucked by a half-man/half-cactus.

In almost every case, the bulk of the Heat's points in the final minutes are free throws. Stern is so fucking transparent.

Blackace

Pop made the right decision. I dunno what Blackace is goin' on about.
How do you figure?

Let's rest the players against a fairly weak team like the Magic and play the stars on national TV or take my ball and go home

lol ok

I am still so fucking pissed about last night's game. All the goddamn Spurs had to do was hold a 7 point lead with 4:48 left.

Every time I see a score where the Heat won the game by less than they won the fourth quarter (or last few minutes of the fourth quarter), I just want to see LeBron or Bosh get fucked by a half-man/half-cactus.

In almost every case, the bulk of the Heat's points in the final minutes are free throws. Stern is so fucking transparent.
Go on.....

the dagger three from Ray Allen was all on Gary Neal. he sagged off Allen and just kind of stood on the left elbow like an idiot. you deserve to lose the game when you give Ray Allen space @ the end

Looks like John Wall has completely changed the form on his jumpshot.

“I think the pieces we have is great, but I think for us to take that next step, it’s going to be keyed on me,” Wall said, before news broke of his stress injury in late September. “Your third year is a key year. It makes or breaks you, what you’re going to be in the this league. This is a big year for me.”

everyones sleepin on mah boy! Best gaf will eat crow.

The last two min of every Heat game where they are down is give it to Mr. Fraud, and let him drive the lane act like he got fouled and shoot free throws.

I thought they were cracking down on flopping.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom