• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

bjb

Banned
What an absolutely humiliating start of the season for the Lakers and their fans.

The Dwightmare continues.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I still have them finishing 2nd or 3rd.
Unless you're Mike Brown, that's crazy. They haven't shown me anything that would make me think they're better than the Spurs, Thunder, or Clippers. Their bench is awful so their starters are gonna be run into the ground as the season goes on (thus increasing their chances of injury). Not only that, but they're allowing a ton of offensive rebounds despite having two 7-footers in the front court. Their defense in general sucks, but their transition d is abominable. There's nothing that I can see that they do better than the Spurs, Thunder, or Clips right now. Well, maybe turnovers, but that's not a good thing.

squicken

Any chance Asik ever becomes something more than a giant liability as an offensive player? Seems crazy he can get 9 offensive rebounds but score zero points

Vandiger

you should, Phil was very clear on how Jim would only show up and look at him in his office and walk away and was very quick to let go of everyone that Phil brought in. He wanted a coach to stay away from the triangle, that's the reason he went with mike brown while other coaches who interviewed wanted to keep parts of the triangle or keep it all together. mike brown was the only one who said he would toss it completely and would push defense.

I mean Brian Shaw was interviewed for the coaches job and he was pretty much told go away because he was assistant coach to phil. Jim's pride is strong when it comes to his choices.

Well, being 0-3 since several decades ago will open up Jimbo's perspective. How long ago have the lakers been 0-4 or 0-5, could very likely happen if they keep sticking to this princetion crap and random lineups this clown puts out. I'm sure Jimbo is looking at the box scores and whats being shown on the floor right now. Its ugly and embarrassing.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Any chance Asik ever becomes something more than a giant liability as an offensive player? Seems crazy he can get 9 offensive rebounds but score zero points
They got him to clog up the middle, block shots and rebound not shoot free throws and score a lot. Harden and Lin are the offense and he's the defense. It's costing Houston a shit ton of money, but they're 2-0, so something's working. I'm just interested to see how they do against a legit playoff team.

DominoKid

If they wait until the middle of the season to fire him...

Xmas is the latest it should go.
Right now i'd can his ass by turkey day.

squicken

They got him to clog up the middle, block shots and rebound not shoot free throws and score a lot. Harden and Lin are the offense and he's the defense. It's costing Houston a shit ton of money, but they're 2-0, so something's working. I'm just interested to see how they do against a legit playoff team.

All I can see is highlights until Comcast lets other carriers have the games, but to really max the potential of Lin and Harden, don't they need a big guy to run the P&R game with?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
NBA-GAF, is a Pau for Josh Smith trade even realistic? Because if it is.. I'd be down for that.

Jerry Sloan and Josh Smith is an upgrade in every way possible as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah Smith is short a few screws, but Pau is smart as hell and pathetic right now. I'd rather have a dumb guy who can play D/Pass/Rebound/Score/is athletic over a smart guy who can pass/rebound/score/is unatheletic(that can't be a real word). But that's me...

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm just sayin'. It's pretty obvious Pau is done and can only bang with Eurotrash in the international league.

And when's the last time you saw Pau take the initiative to score? Pau's offensive repertoire is second to none, yet he doesn't utilize it and takes shitty jumpers he only makes in the first half of the game. You can blame that on the offense we run.. but he started this bullshit in Phil's last year too, and that was in an offense he flourished in. Dude want's nothing to do with the paint anymore. Period.

I love the guy, but he isn't giving us what we really need from that position.

squicken

kd3bzozh.gif

I'm just sayin'. It's pretty obvious Pau is done and can only bang with Eurotrash in the international league.

And when's the last time you saw Pau take the initiative to score? Pau's offensive repertoire is second to none, yet he doesn't utilize it and takes shitty jumpers he only makes in the first half of the game. You can blame that on the offense we run.. but he started this bullshit in Phil's last year too, and that was in an offense he flourished in. Dude want's nothing to do with the paint anymore. Period.

Offensively he's fine. Especially now that he's the 3rd option. He was playing great the first two games. It's defensively where he's been pretty awful, especially his help d. Having Peace and Gasol in the front court is killing the Lakers transition d.

Just put in the call to Stern. I'm sure he can arrange something.

overcast

Maybe he can develop something? I mean he's only 26. I don't know though. If he can get 8-10 points and 10+ rebounds, I would be okay. We don't have a lot of offense aside from Harden right now though. Lin played nice tonight though.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Offensively he's fine. Especially now that he's the 3rd option. He was playing great the first two games. It's defensively where he's been pretty awful, especially his help d. Having Peace and Gasol in the front court is killing the Lakers transition d.
He isn't fine offensively. All he does is take jumpers now. That's not fine when you can do pretty much anything you want offensively. He's better than that. And it's not even like his jumpers are automatic either...

And my god is he slow on D. Shit drives me crazy how late he is all the fucking time.

He isn't fine offensively. All he does is take jumpers now. That's not fine when you can do pretty much anything you want offensively. He's better than that. And it's not even like his jumpers are automatic either...

And my god is he slow on D. Shit drives me crazy how late he is all the fucking time.

Have you watched the first two games? Pau has arguably benefited the most from the offense. Again, I'm not worried because he's not expected carry the same offensive load that he did before and probably will play better as a result. It's his help d that's a liability,

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Nice. Brown admitted he over-played Kobe tonight and Kobe is now reportedly in a walking boot because he reaggravated his foot. Fucking beautiful.

denzelcant.gif

Just watched the Houston recap and it's still amazing what Harden is doing. Houston has managed to take two of the most Star oppressed players in Harden and Lin and given them their own team. The only thing they need to compete at the highest level is an elite center to run the P&Rs with and this team could have a very high ceiling. Not sure if they have the cap space for it but Morey should be setting his sights on Bynum or Howard in the next offseason free-agency. They could slot Asik into the PF role and keep him in the lineup for pure defense.

pilonv1

I would find it amusing that Dwight, so desperate to get out of Orlando is traded to a Laker team with Nash & Bryant injured for significant time and having to carry Blake & Jamison.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
well shit, Harden looks to be the truth for real..

well shit, Harden looks to be the truth for real..

I honestly was prepared for another typical 9th or 10th place finish in the Western Conference, but now that we added Hardin? I think we could push for a 6th or 7th seed. I'm excited, but since Comcast Sports is airing 90% of the games, almost no one in Houston can watch the Rockets play on TV

Atlanta in the ATL isn't legit? I think we can pencil Houston into the 6th to 8th range in the west.

Bread

Banned
fucked my ankle up bad on wednesday playing basketball, and i've been in pain 24/7. got x-rays, nothing broken, but it feels like it's getting worse. hope i didn't tear a ligament...

h3ro

Harden is THE guy. I am going to assume that teams will figure out how to stop him and then who is going to pick up all the slack?.
Chinkballa88.
Crawford is a fucking magician with the ball.
He's always good for one of these a game. He loved faking the behind the back pass on fast breaks before going up strong when he was a knick. Always had sick handles.

Also; SHUMPSDAGOD's flat top > NoCo lime's flat top

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
fucked my ankle up bad on wednesday playing basketball, and i've been in pain 24/7. got x-rays, nothing broken, but it feels like it's getting worse. hope i didn't tear a ligament...
Most likely a level 3 sprain

Have had 2 of those and a triple fracture

Bread

Banned
Most likely a level 3 sprain

Have had 2 of those and a triple fracture
how long did it take to heal? and how bad was your pain? i've had 24/7 excruciating pain and have probably slept 3 hours in the past 2 days (on percocets too). it's sore on all sides of my ankle, so i cant even rest it on a pillow to keep it elevated. fuck this sucks.

Top Bottom