• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
This. Like I said a few pages back, the Lakers will be lucky to claim the 4th playoff spot. They are NOT better than the Spurs, Clips, or Thunder and they may not even be on par with the Grizz. They're old. They have no bench. Their coach is an idiot. None of those things are going to change substantially throughout the rest of the season. They're definitely make the playoffs, but for those thinking they'll be a 1, 2, or 3 seed in the west, get that shit out of here. Not happening.

They have a shot at the 3. It's too early in the season to know how the rest of those teams will play out too. And this team has the talent to make some runs. I said before the season that I thought this season would play out a lot like 04 with GP and Malone, even without the injuries. Very up/down. Team might look great in stretches. Lots of finger pointing in the media. Biggest problem is that like the 03 and 04 teams, they might expend so much energy getting their shit together that they will be worn out come playoff time. This team can't afford to coast.

Surprised at the lack of panic from Celtic fans. KG has moved terribly and made no impact defensively and they're 100% reliant on him for everything on defense and their offense still sucks. Come on, I want to see meltdowns from Celtics-Age like Lakers-Age is providing after all the hype the Celtics got this offseason (both teams are probably going to be fine because KG and Dwight will get back to their normal level probably, but there's still reason for panic!)

charsace

I'm not hating on the moves MitchDAgod made as they were pure godlike. I am just saying that this team isn't winning a ring, at least as long as they play in the same league as Miami. 2014 is the year where the Lakers will make the moves for the future. I am just saying that this team is old as dirt and isn't winning a ring. Am I jumping off the wagon and into the hands of Chicago (Soul...), no. Just telling it like it is because that is what I do.

Make you a deal. If you create one in the OT, I'll back ya up.

You should work ESPN with how you overreact to the 3 games. Kobe and Pau have both looked good. Dwight is rusty and deflated, but he is still playing good enough to contribute on the boards and offensively around the basket. Nash is still feeling out the team. If you were looking for them to reel off 20-0 to start the season you were fooling yourself. This season was always intended to be a feeling out one. Next year when Dwight is healthy and everyone on the team has a better feel for what's going on is when they will make a real run at it. That's not to say they don't have a chance this season because they do. They have the talent, size and basketball smarts to take anyone in a seven game series. They'll figure out how to get around their lack of athleticism. Brown is a defensive coach he will figure out something to hind 'wight Howard and Nash.

Surprised at the lack of panic from Celtic fans. KG has moved terribly and made no impact defensively and they're 100% reliant on him for everything on defense and their offense still sucks. Come on, I want to see meltdowns from Celtics-Age like Lakers-Age is providing after all the hype the Celtics got this offseason (both teams are probably going to be fine because KG and Dwight will get back to their normal level probably, but there's still reason for panic!)

meh. eastern conference.

jman2050

I'm one to laugh at the Lakers misfortune as much as the next guy but it's only three games. I don't think they have a chance in hell of beating Miami but that has less to do with LA's players than it does Lebron and co clearly owning the league until 2015 or so.

IF Dwight's current play is just him getting back into game shape after recovering from a major injury, as I suspect it is, then he'll eventually gel with the rest of the roster and become the defensive force he was in Orlando in due time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
1. Okay that sucked. We look like shit. I'm losing patience with Brown. Lose to Detroit and he needs to go. The turnover are stupid and I'm starting to believe the Princeton sets are doing it. And the rotation holy fuck. Why is isn't Jamison getting g run when mwp is trash. And where is Meeks. And Kobe/pau minutes are a joke.

2. Dwight it so not himself

3. Harden. Feels good to be right.

Lol they are not firing Brown 5 games into the season. He will get until Christmas or so and then changes will be made if needed then.

Yes Dwight doesn't look like himself especially on defense. That was a given considering he hasn't played any ball in more than like 6 months.

And anybody who watched Harden play knew he could be a star. Obviously not Wilt/MJ level star like he has been through 2 games but the guy can flat out play. The notion that Kevin Martin is anywhere near the same level was always laughable.

Tom Penny

I'm one to laugh at the Lakers misfortune as much as the next guy but it's only three games. I don't think they have a chance in hell of beating Miami but that has less to do with LA's players than it does Lebron and co clearly owning the league until 2015 or so.

IF Dwight's current play is just him getting back into game shape after recovering from a major injury, as I suspect it is, then he'll eventually gel with the rest of the roster and become the defensive force he was in Orlando in due time.

Heat have to get by the Knicks first.

Lol they are not firing Brown 5 games into the season. He will get until Christmas or so and then changes will be made if needed then.

Yes Dwight doesn't look like himself especially on defense. That was a given considering he hasn't played any ball in more than like 6 months.

And anybody who watched Harden play knew he could be a star. Obviously not Wilt/MJ level star like he has been through 2 games but the guy can flat out play. The notion that Kevin Martin is anywhere near the same level was always laughable.

People need to remember that if Mike Brown is fired, all that will do is cause one of his equally incompetent underlings like Keuster to take over. I doubt it will light any fire under this team. It will be Rambis taking over for Del Harris all over again.

I know he won't be gone, but I'm going to get on the fire brown bandwagon. I've been his biggest defender here, but the season just started and his rotations make no sense and Kobe playing 44 mins in a non-OT game? Come the fuck on.

People need to remember that if Mike Brown is fired, all that will do is cause one of his equally incompetent underlings like Keuster to take over. I doubt it will light any fire under this team. It will be Rambis taking over for Del Harris all over again.

Perhaps. Maybe they'll get JVG on the phone? I dunno. All I know is someone needs to smack Brown upside the head with his rotations. FFS, Stu Lantz was complaining about it last night. After being told the bench sucks again, Stu goes "Yeah, well, look at who is out there for them" or something. Like 5 bench players in at one time.

Move MWP to the bench, start ebanks. Bring Jodie in for Kobe and play Antawn at SF if MWP won't do shit.

I know he won't be gone, but I'm going to get on the fire brown bandwagon. I've been his biggest defender here, but the season just started and his rotations make no sense and Kobe playing 44 mins in a non-OT game? Come the fuck on.

Perhaps. Maybe they'll get JVG on the phone? I dunno. All I know is someone needs to smack Brown upside the head with his rotations. FFS, Stu Lantz was complaining about it last night. After being told the bench sucks again, Stu goes "Yeah, well, look at who is out there for them" or something. Like 5 bench players in at one time.

Move MWP to the bench, start ebanks. Bring Jodie in for Kobe and play Antawn at SF if MWP won't do shit.

Guys like JVG and SVG and Sloan can have any number of jobs. They aren't going to walk into a fire storm 1/4 way into the season, with a team that is already struggling to learn and adapt to one offense, and try and institute a new offense and philosophy. It's a no win situation for them. A new coach, especially one with their resume, is going to want a full offseason and training camp.

1. Okay that sucked. We look like shit. I'm losing patience with Brown. Lose to Detroit and he needs to go. The turnover are stupid and I'm starting to believe the Princeton sets are doing it. And the rotation holy fuck. Why is isn't Jamison getting g run when mwp is trash. And where is Meeks. And Kobe/pau minutes are a joke.

2. Dwight it so not himself

3. Harden. Feels good to be right.
Amen. Thank you statistics.

Kwhit10

Eh, same thing happened at the beginning of last season. I will wait until the All-star break to start worrying. Actually the only way I'll worry is if they're on the verge of missing the playoffs. They don't need a high seed.

Vandiger

Lakers haven't won a game from preason to now. This breeds a culture of LOSING, that is not acceptable. I don't expect anything to improve just by how badly the roster is being utilizied.

Lakers haven't won a game from preason to now. This breeds a culture of LOSING, that is not acceptable. I don't expect anything to improve just by how badly the roster is being utilizied.

That is the issue. They haven't won a game (including preseason) since LAST SEASON! Think about that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
johnschuhmann
Lakers say Steve Nash has a "small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula." Out a minimum of 1 week & then re-examined.

And Brandon Rush tore his ACL. Brutal :(

Being that Kobe,Nash, and Dwight could start a pick up game and beat the crap out of anyone how long is it till Jerry realizes the smell of shit is coming from the aptly named Brown?

BobLoblaw

Banned
johnschuhmann
Lakers say Steve Nash has a "small non-displaced fracture in the head of his fibula." Out a minimum of 1 week & then re-examined.

Sucks for Nash and Lakers. Terrible news hearing about Brandon Rush. I was really hoping it was just a severe sprain. Fuck.

johnschuhmann

oh shit, steve blake starts again? guy adds nothing to the offensive side besides a couple threes a game. and that Pistons team has the athletes and backcourt to put up points in transition. maybe a win for Detroit wouldnt be so shocking, lol.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Lakers next 6 games:

vs. Pistons(Home)
vs. Jazz (Road)
vs. Warriors(Home)
vs. Kings (Home)
vs. Spurs(Home)
vs. Suns(Home)

They have 5 home games, 4 of which they should win (The Spurs will be tough). I see them losing to the Jazz on the road.

At worst they should be 4-2 over this stretch.
Yeeeeah.. the only games I expect to get a W are SUNS/Pistons. That's it. For real. For real...

If we lose to the Pistons or Suns or both Mike Brown might sincerely be gone.
Do I love the Lakers more than I hate Mike Brown? I don't know the answer to that question right now honestly.

LeBron rated 9.99

Fg2Sy.jpg

Why so low?

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-121102-04/weekend-dime-why-lebron-james-not-perfect-10

Surprisingly relevant to video game review scores.

In a perfect world, with more flexible scoring options, I would have loved to list LeBron as a 9.5 or perhaps even a 9.7, with Durant at 9.3 and CP3 at 9.1.

KingKong

I wonder how much better the Lakers would have been with the CP3 trade. They're not using their size for much and if they're getting carved up by a rookie PG, what are CP3, Westbrook and Parker going to do to them?

I wonder how much better the Lakers would have been with the CP3 trade. They're not using their size for much and if they're getting carved up by a rookie PG, what are CP3, Westbrook and Parker going to do to them?

Depends on if Bynum for Dwight would have still happened. CP3 is better than Nash, but the problems of lack of depth and bench would have still been a huge issue.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
We already saw what CP3 did. He carved us up. Made our defense look like more of a joke than it already is. He got basically whatever the fuck he wanted last night.

Westbrook and Parker are going to feast. Plain and simple.

LuchaShaq

Banned
This is the best 3 game stretch kobe has played in years and the Lakers are falling apart. I'm genuinely shocked, I thought his penchant for low percentage long 2's would be their downfall.

Mike Brown has been an AWFUL head coach (defensive minded assistant? Perfect for him) every single year in the league.

The earlier they fire him the better, only Vinny Del Negro is worse.

Top Bottom