• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Darkman M

Funny hunter keeps bringing up the Lakers team age when the 2012-2013 Knicks are the oldest team in NBA history according to a google search. Arent the Spurs pretty old too?

charsace

Not the best option for the group the Lakers have.

It fits certain teams well, but it wasn't a match with this Laker team. It was obvious from the beginning.

Our defense is bad, but, the turnovers made it look much worse.

How is it not a match? The Lakers have 3 of the smartest players in the league. The princeton would be good for Kobe since it would cut down on energy spent on ball handling. Its good for Pau since it gets him more involved in the offense without putting pressure on him to shoot 20 times a game. Kobe was the one that suggested they run the princeton in the first place. People are hot for the pick and roll when the princeton is the most effective offense in basketball when run right.

Eric Bledsoe would have been the perfect fit for the Lakers. Strong, athletic, and can hit the outside shot and slash. He's great defender and could be tasked with the tough cover on the perimeter on most nights.

There are people still saying the princeton is a bad offense. I can't believe anyone that plays basketball or follows basketball hardcore would say the princeton is a bad offense. When run well the princeton can make a bad team competitive and a good team great.

ehhhh.

Brown couldn't run a Lemonade Stand let alone a NBA offense. We're not mad at the Princeton, but its poor implementation.

Like a novice driver grinding gears. We're not mad at manual transmission, get a professional in that driver's seat.

Funny hunter keeps bringing up the Lakers team age when the 2012-2013 Knicks are the oldest team in NBA history according to a google search. Arent the Spurs pretty old too?

The Spurs are middle of the road in terms of age. Duncan, Jax, and Manu are old, but Kawhi and Green are young. Most of their players are around 30.

charsace

The Lakers are not a good defensive team. They will end up being average at best. The only way they will be better than average is if they are one of the slowest teams in the league. And if they are a slow paced team some of the player's numbers will take a hit. Kobe is a mediocre defender at this point in his career. They are terrible at pg defensively. Dwight is a long way away from being himself athletically. Pau should be playing center at this point in his career not defending the 4 where there are more guys with perimeter skills than ever. Artest is still a good defender, but he isn't elite anymore and the top 3's will torch him.

You can't compare the Lakers to the Knicks defensively. Kidd can't guard pg's anymore, but he can guard 2's and some 3's. JR plays good defense and guards 1-3 well. Felton could always play defense. Prigga is a good defender and really good at team defense. Carmelo has been guarding 2-4 really good and his rotations have been excellent so far. He also keeps 4's from getting deep position well. Though centers have given him problems. Brewer has always been a great defender in man to man or help. And the Knicks from positions 2-5 crash the boards. The only mediocre defender that plays for the Knicks is Novak and that's because he's a bad man to man defender. Novak is smart, reads the pick and roll well and plays good help defense overall. And Chandler is Chandler.

The Lakers are not a good defensive team. They will end up being average at best. The only way they will be better than average is if they are one of the slowest teams in the league. And if they are a slow paced team some of the player's numbers will take a hit. Kobe is a mediocre defender at this point in his career. They are terrible at pg defensively. Dwight is a long way away from being himself athletically. Pau should be playing center at this point in his career not defending the 4 where there are more guys with perimeter skills than ever. Artest is still a good defender, but he isn't elite anymore and the top 3's will torch him.

You can't compare the Lakers to the Knicks defensively. Kidd can't guard pg's anymore, but he can guard 2's and some 3's. JR plays good defense and guards 1-3 well. Felton could always play defense. Prigga is a good defender and really good at team defense. Carmelo has been guarding 2-4 really good and his rotations have been excellent so far. He also keeps 4's from getting deep position well. Though centers have given him problems. Brewer has always been a great defender in man to man or help. And the Knicks from positions 2-5 crash the boards. The only mediocre defender that plays for the Knicks is Novak and that's because he's a bad man to man defender. Novak is smart, reads the pick and roll well and plays good help defense overall. And Chandler is Chandler.

I disagree, the season will start for real soon for this team so we will see.

JR plays good defense? Kidd better at defending 2s than Kobe right now? lol.

I'll give you that the Knicks D overall is better when Amar'e isn't around. Especially with Shump in there.

But I think you're getting carried away with the defense stuff. Last season the Lakers were top 7 most of the year with Fisher in there until the lockout caught up with them and all those minutes (plus when Ramon came they could score more so they defended less).

I think the lakers will be fine defensively. a LOT of their defensive problems were live ball turnovers. Their half-court D has been okay. Not good, not terrible. Once Dwight rounds into shape and Phil puts in defense which will hedge more, they'll be fine. Phil/Rambis also know how to force people into better angles for Dwight.

I wonder if Phil let his beard grow.

he has a stache right now

Kidd kept OJ Mayo in check for the second half last night. he was going off until Woodson put Kidd on him. and Mamba's only use defensively is off the ball and as a help defender, since he has active hands. but man on man, hes an indifferent defender more often than not.

charsace

JR plays good defense? Kidd better at defending 2s than Kobe right now? lol.

I'll give you that the Knicks D overall is better when Amar'e isn't around. Especially with Shump in there.

But I think you're getting carried away with the defense stuff. Last season the Lakers were top 7 most of the year with Fisher in there until the lockout caught up with them and all those minutes (plus when Ramon came they could score more so they defended less).

I think the lakers will be fine defensively. a LOT of their defensive problems were live ball turnovers. Their half-court D has been okay. Not good, not terrible. Once Dwight rounds into shape and Phil puts in defense which will hedge more, they'll be fine. Phil/Rambis also know how to force people into better angles for Dwight.

he has a stache right now

The undefeated Knicks has Char feeling himself.

lol

2011-2012 Team Defensive Rating for the Knicks was 5th in the league for the Lakers it was 13th.

Right now the Knicks are 1st in defensive rating. Right now JR is 5th in the league in individual defense. Not unbelievable if you have seen him play this year. Only one regular rotation player has a defensive rating over 100 and that's Novak. The Knicks were a top 5 defensive team last season and so far they're a top 5 defensive team. The lakers were average last season and in the off season they got older guys that have always have the reputation of being bad defenders and a guy that's recovering from major surgery logging heavy minutes.

I don't see where I'm talking shit. If I'm lying please point it out. And I don't understand how I'm feeling myself. The Knicks are playing great defense at the moment. I'm just stating the obvious. I didn't bring up the Knicks your Lakers homies did because they felt like I was attacking the Lakers. Because its wrong to discuss what's wrong with the Lakers.

2011-2012 Team Defensive Rating for the Knicks was 5th in the league for the Lakers it was 13th.

Right now the Knicks are 1st in defensive rating. Right now JR is 5th in the league in individual defense. Not unbelievable if you have seen him play this year. Only one regular rotation player has a defensive rating over 100 and that's Novak. The Knicks were a top 5 defensive team last season and so far they're a top 5 defensive team. The lakers were average last season and in the off season they got older guys that have always have the reputation of being bad defenders and a guy that's recovering from major surgery logging heavy minutes.

I don't see where I'm talking shit. If I'm lying please point it out.

Did you miss the part where I said the Knicks are a better defensive team (without Amar'e)?

Read first, then reply.

charsace

Did you miss the part where I said the Knicks are a better defensive team (without Amar'e)?

Read first, then reply.

Did you see me mention Amar'e? What does Amare have to do with guys like Melo, JR and Kidd playing great defense?

And at this point Kidd guards sg's better than Kobe.

mamba,jr smith can play defense.sometimes makes dumb fouls though.

A few dumb plays and people want to say he isn't playing some great defense when he is. No one is perfect for the whole game. JR has a reputation for boneheaded plays that he has rightfully earned. Defensively he hasn't been doing a whole bunch of bad things though.

Did you see me mention Amar'e? What does Amare have to do with guys like Melo, JR and Kidd playing great defense?

And at this point Kidd guards sg's better than Kobe.

JR does not play great or even good defense, stop it. And I don't agree at all. I think Kidd simply tries harder most of the time now since he has no use on offense outside spotting up.

Kobe shut Ty Lawson down last season when he needed to. Kidd cannot.

But I don't know why you keep trying to compare the Lakers to the Knicks. The Knicks are a better defensive team without Amar'e. I'm not arguing this point. Just think you're overblowing the notion that the Lakers can't play good D. They did last year and will do so soon enough. Replacing Bynum with Dwight helps a lot.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Darius Soriano ‏@forumbluegold
Lakers get Nash and Howard & now closing in on Phil. Next up is, what? Spielberg going to do their pre-game highlight package?

Lol, so true we're about to get our 3rd Christmas present this year and it's not even Christmas yet. What's next Mitch trading Steve Blake and or Duhon for a useful bench player?

charsace

JR does not play great or even good defense, stop it. And I don't agree at all. I think Kidd simply tries harder most of the time now since he has no use on offense outside spotting up.

Kobe shut Ty Lawson down last season when he needed to. Kidd cannot.

But I don't know why you keep trying to compare the Lakers to the Knicks. The Knicks are a better defensive team without Amar'e. I'm not arguing this point. Just think you're overblowing the notion that the Lakers can't play good D. They did last year and will do so soon enough. Replacing Bynum with Dwight helps a lot.

I've watched all the Knicks games this season. JR has been playing great defense. Because if he wasn't his numbers would reflect it in some way. So he has to be doing something right. So either you're wrong or the numbers are wrong. I'm gonna go ahead right now and say you're wrong.

I've watched all the Knicks games this season. JR has been playing great defense. Because if he wasn't his numbers would reflect it in some way. So he has to be doing something right. So either you're wrong or the numbers are wrong. I'm gonna go ahead right now and say you're wrong.

Individual defensive numbers like Def Eff are a team number in reality, not individual. No use in pointing those out.

Here are his numbers for last year which made the team worse on D. http://basketballvalue.com/player.php?id=63&year=2011-2012

It's also been what, 4 games? Slow your roll.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Phil Jackson has to be the biggest fraud in NBA coaching history.

Guys like Rick Adelman and Don Nelson and Gregg Popovich look at lineups and say "How can I get the most out of these guys?" and lick their chops at the prospect of molding a team of young inexperienced role players into contention.

Guys like Phil Jackson look at lineups and say "Is this lineup an obvious title contender? Cause i'm only coaching them if it makes me look good."

I can't consider him a great coach when all he does it wait for a team stacked with superstars to fall into his lap. When the stars leave, that tends to be when he bails out, too.

Guys like Rick Adelman and Don Nelson and Gregg Popovich look at lineups and say "How can I get the most out of these guys?" and lick their chops at the prospect of molding a team of young inexperienced role players into contention.

Guys like Phil Jackson look at lineups and say "Is this lineup an obvious title contender? Cause i'm only coaching them if it makes me look good."

I can't consider him a great coach when all he does it wait for a team stacked with superstars to fall into his lap. When the stars leave, that tends to be when he bails out, too.

yeah what a fraud, Lakers didn't make the playoffs the year he left and won the championship the year he came back.

He came back in 2005. How good was that team? What did he do with it?

He retired 2 years ago because his body could not handle the lockout. His hips were replaced and the travel was too much, especially with the shortened season.

Yeah Gregg Popovich sure has had to struggle coaching his entire career with the best PF of all time and two potential future HoF'ers at PG and SG. What a warrior. GTFO of here with that bullshit. Name me ONE NBA coach who has won mutlitple titles w/o having 1 or 2 future hall of famers. If Phil is a "Fraud" by your standards, then so are Pop, Doc, Riley, Daly, Rudy and Auerbach.

I don't see where I'm talking shit. If I'm lying please point it out. And I don't understand how I'm feeling myself. The Knicks are playing great defense at the moment. I'm just stating the obvious. I didn't bring up the Knicks your Lakers homies did because they felt like I was attacking the Lakers. Because its wrong to discuss what's wrong with the Lakers.

No need to quote me and try to defend yourself. I'm not mad, cook motherfucker cook! Hammerdance!

Top Bottom