• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

etiolate

Banned
Phil Jackson has to be the biggest fraud in NBA coaching history.

Guys like Rick Adelman and Don Nelson and Gregg Popovich look at lineups and say "How can I get the most out of these guys?" and lick their chops at the prospect of molding a team of young inexperienced role players into contention.

Guys like Phil Jackson look at lineups and say "Is this lineup an obvious title contender? Cause i'm only coaching them if it makes me look good."

I can't consider him a great coach when all he does it wait for a team stacked with superstars to fall into his lap. When the stars leave, that tends to be when he bails out, too.

This is the truth and I will enjoy the tears of all the Laker and old Bulls fans (are they still alive?) who will try to go against this truth.

He was constantly out-coached by guys like Adelman and Sloan and Larry Brown.

Phil is good at two things: cherry picking teams and manipulating refs. He is sublime at manipulating refs. The only guys up to his level at intimidating refs are Pat Riley and Doc Rivers.

etiolate

Banned
The salt from fans of teams that Phil regularly spreaded and deaded are starting to pour in. He must be close to signing.

Except, as I recall, that series where a severely less talented Rockets team gave the Lakers a run for their lives until the avalanche of injuries eventually cost the Adelman Rockets too much and the Lakers prevailed were full of Laker fan tears crying about Phil getting "out coached".

Same with the series where the Pistons and Larry Brown had their way with Phil and the Lakeshow.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
lol doc is a great coach.

More like KG is a great anchor to any defense, Thib laid the groundwork for an amazing defensive philosophy, Ray and Pierce compliment each other amazingly and Doc has years of being a piece of shit coach before he was blessed with 3 hall of famers.

DY_nasty

The biggest insight into Doc's coaching ability is how Austrin Rivers plays.

He taught Austin everything he knows.

7vHhY.jpg

Except, as I recall, that series where a severely less talented Rockets team gave the Lakers a run for their lives until the avalanche of injuries eventually cost the Adelman Rockets too much and the Lakers prevailed were full of Laker fan tears crying about Phil getting "out coached".

Same with the series where the Pistons and Larry Brown had their way with Phil and the Lakeshow.

Phil lost games? Tell me more.

I wonder when Phil comes back if he will ever be seen as a better coach than Adelman and Brown, that poor scrub.

Phil Jackson has to be the biggest fraud in NBA coaching history.

Guys like Rick Adelman and Don Nelson and Gregg Popovich look at lineups and say "How can I get the most out of these guys?" and lick their chops at the prospect of molding a team of young inexperienced role players into contention.

Guys like Phil Jackson look at lineups and say "Is this lineup an obvious title contender? Cause i'm only coaching them if it makes me look good."

I can't consider him a great coach when all he does it wait for a team stacked with superstars to fall into his lap. When the stars leave, that tends to be when he bails out, too.

I know, right? Dude just coasted to rings on the backs of stacked teams, just like Mike Brown, Kurt Rambis & Doug Collins did. Anybody could have done that shit.

diehard

Fleer
Id prob make some comment about Phil that seems salty but i don't have the heart right now

this post is a pretty good opening for a "just like ...." Jazz joke.

More like KG is a great anchor to any defense, Thib laid the groundwork for an amazing defensive philosophy, Ray and Pierce compliment each other amazingly and Doc has years of being a piece of shit coach before he was blessed with 3 hall of famers.

LOL if the current Lakers aren't a glaring enough example of "talent doesn't mean shit without coaching" then I don't know what is. Doc got those guys to sacrifice and buy in from the get and they were on the same page from day one. The Celtics before 08 had one of the worse starting rosters in the league and even the players who eventually blossomed for them were raw as hell. Not giving Doc his due based on his performance with a near Bobcats level squad is pretty disingenuous.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hey, I'm just saying that I've never heard of phil jackson showing interest in coaching a team that wasn't absolutely stacked. There have been dozens of different inside scoops over the years along the lines of "Phil Jackson would be interested in coaching X if X lands Y and Z." I remember inside sources pointing to him benig interested in coaching the Cavaliers, but only if they could land Chris Paul to join up with Lebron. things like that.

It always seems like when his teams begin to fall out of the title picture is when he disappears, and the only teams he's every attached to in substantiated or unsubstantiated rumors are teams that are on the cusp of winning a championship. He never seems to have interest in teams that need a few tweaks or a year of development.

doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but I don't think he makes his teams better than the sum of their parts to the extent guys like Popovich and Adelman do.

Also, can we talk about the rest of the league for once?

Oh man, the crew is BACK! Kobe and Phil together again! Phil wants to go down as the greatest Lakers coach of all time without debate and he will if the Lakers win this year! BOOM SHAKA LAKA BOOM BOOM!

DY_nasty

LOL if the current Lakers aren't a glaring enough example of "talent doesn't mean shit without coaching" then I don't know what is. Doc got those guys to sacrifice and buy in from the get and they were on the same page from day one. The Celtics before 08 had one of the worse starting rosters in the league and even the players who eventually blossomed for them were raw as hell. Not giving Doc his due based on his performance with a near Bobcats level squad is pretty disingenuous.

The Celtics were an amazing team because those guys didn't have to give up big pieces of their game to play together. KG was naturally unselfish, Ray is one of the best off-ball players of all time, Pierce is everything you want in a slasher. Its not like Miami where guys' natural roles overlapped or conflicted with each other. There was more for Spo to do than Doc. And if it weren't for the lockout season, I'd probably consider Spo a better coach. That's how much I hate Doc lol

Mike Brown is a net negative though. I think most would agree that LA has 3 potential playercoaches that would easily do a better job than Mike Brown. Pau, Kobe, or Nash could coach while playing and do a better job. He's been the biggest joke in the league as a coach since Randy Wittman and Sam Vincent.
Hey, I'm just saying that I've never heard of phil jackson showing interest in coaching a team that wasn't absolutely stacked. There have been dozens of different inside scoops over the years along the lines of "Phil Jackson would be interested in coaching X if X lands Y and Z." I remember inside sources pointing to him benig interested in coaching the Cavaliers, but only if they could land Chris Paul to join up with Lebron. things like that.

It always seems like when his teams begin to fall out of the title picture is when he disappears, and the only teams he's every attached to in substantiated or unsubstantiated rumors are teams that are on the cusp of winning a championship. He never seems to have interest in teams that need a few tweaks or a year of development.

doesn't mean he's a bad coach, but I don't think he makes his teams better than the sum of their parts to the extent guys like Popovich and Adelman do.

Also, can we talk about the rest of the league for once?

Phil is a whore. But we knew that.

And so far this season, this thread has been talking about anything BUT the Lakers or Miami. I can't remember the last time this thread was so diverse.

Oh man, the crew is BACK! Kobe and Phil together again! Phil wants to go down as the greatest Lakers coach of all time without debate and he will if the Lakers win this year! BOOM SHAKA LAKA BOOM BOOM!

uhh what's you source? all i'm hearing is Phil met with Jim Buss and preliminary talks are ongoing.

uhh what's you source? all i'm hearing is Phil met with Jim Buss and preliminary talks are ongoing.

It's not official yet but RealgM reported that they are going to offer him the position if he is interested and from all accounts, he is. This is a done deal. And no, I am not PhoenixDark nor am I Konex. You can trust me.

I am Clove, and I approve this message.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
i duuno guise

Pop has PhilJack and Pringles number

Go after Nick Van Exel

if anyone knows Lakers chuckball it would be him

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
True, Pop was able to win a chip during a meaningless asterisk filled season.

2003 was a * season?

the more you know

08 was an * for the Lakers going to the Finals

If the Spurs didn't have to sleep on a plane the night before game 1 of the WCF, different outcome

Matt Moore @HPbasketball
Could be headed for a Kurt-Rambis-Lakers-road-coach experience, which would be sublime.

whatever. as long as phil is at home texting rambis what to do, im down with that.

DY_nasty

Matt Moore @HPbasketball
Could be headed for a Kurt-Rambis-Lakers-road-coach experience, which would be sublime.

whatever. as long as phil is at home texting rambis what to do, im down with that.

kurt rambis? lmao

suck azz for shabazz

DY_nasty

Kurt is to a puppet what Phil is to the puppet master.

You say this as if I don't want LA to succeed.

This is could not be further from the truth. Tanking is getting tough between Charlotte, Phoenix, and Detroit. There's no room for another Rambis team.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Jackson and Lakers discussing ways that coaching staff can ease some of his responsibilities, such as shoot-arounds, etc. More talk to come.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Jim Cleamons has coaching offer in China, but waiting for direction from Jackson on Lakers, sources tell Y! Cleamons would join Jax's staff.

Also DJO has been sent to the D-league.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Kevin McHale is taking a leave of absence for a "personal matter". Hopefully to coach the Lakers

His daughter is ill. Hope she ends up being okay.

It's always something health related with the Rockets.

Top Bottom