• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
All you're doing is looking at stats, please proceed to shut up.

keep sucking down that salt

Once again...i can't even

tumblr_mctxtlgOso1rzq3b5.gif

we are going to give Bynum Dat Philly max and his knees are going to go to space.

Lakers fans don't know pain like me.

I still don't know when you guys decided to leave the tank bros. You guys were literally right there with us in terribadville and out of nowhere you took a sharp right on the mediocrity exit.

Good news is if you don't sign Bynum to an extension you have a decent chance of tanking next season, the best season to tank.

The Lakers' DRtg was better when Kobe was on the court because he played way more in the first half of the season (when no team knew how to score and when the Lakers were trying) than the second half of the season (when teams remembered how to score and when the Lakers had given up on defense). If you want to use Defensive plus or minus, Pau has far more impressive numbers and you just called him "dead-weight" so I'm not sure what direction you're even going in this argument.

Also, a lot of teams have their best wing defender defend the best wing scorer on the other team and that leads to good defense at both positions since the bad defender (Kobe) gets to defend the bum who doesn't produce while the good defender (Artest) gets to the good players and thus production is lower for that player as well.

Regardless of this, Kobe takes a ton of plays off on defense and plays with a mostly abominable effort level on defense so him talking about the effort Melo has on defense is fairly hilarious.

Also, Melo's team is better on defense than Kobe's and a lot of his teammates could be called dead weight on defense and the Knicks were good at defending wings last year so I guess he's as good or better than Kobe going by some of these strands of logic.

You are really reading all of this into some Kobe trash talk? I think the point he was trying to make was that, yes, even though Kobe is old and sucks on D now, at least he has played defense in the past and shown that he understands that defense is important, whereas Melo has sucked on defense since he was a rookie.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kobe never guarded Brandon Roy when he played. The same way Brandon Roy never guarded the opposing team's best guard -- it was either Batum or Wallace or Mathews.

Ditto for Kevin Durant (Sefalosha, Harden), Wade (Lebron, Battier), Deng guarding the best opposing player on the Bulls, Shawn Marion for Dallas, Tony Allen for Memphis, etc.

The Lakers' DRtg was better when Kobe was on the court because he played way more in the first half of the season (when no team knew how to score and when the Lakers were trying) than the second half of the season (when teams remembered how to score and when the Lakers had given up on defense). If you want to use Defensive plus or minus, Pau has far more impressive numbers and you just called him "dead-weight" so I'm not sure what direction you're even going in this argument.

Also, a lot of teams have their best wing defender defend the best wing scorer on the other team and that leads to good defense at both positions since the bad defender (Kobe) gets to defend the bum who doesn't produce while the good defender (Artest) gets to the good players and thus production is lower for that player as well.

Regardless of this, Kobe takes a ton of plays off on defense and plays with a mostly abominable effort level on defense so him talking about the effort Melo has on defense is fairly hilarious.

Also, Melo's team is better on defense than Kobe's and a lot of his teammates could be called dead weight on defense and the Knicks were good at defending wings last year so I guess he's as good or better than Kobe going by some of these strands of logic.

Melo's team had Chandler, the DPOY. And Shump. And melo played a lot of PF. Knicks had some dead weight, but not nearly the same.

I like your rationalization, though. Kobe played more earlier and thus the numbers are inflated. What about the fact that through the first 30-40 games of last year or so they were top 8 in D before they tired out?

You're someone who always points to stats. Now go find me some that validates the claim that Kobe plays "no defense."

Should also be noted Lakers were the #1 defense in the clutch last season.

Kobe never guarded Brandon Roy when he played. The same way Brandon Roy never guarded the opposing team's best guard -- it was either Batum or Wallace or Mathews.

Ditto for Kevin Durant (Sefalosha, Harden), Wade (Lebron, Battier), Deng guarding the best opposing player on the Bulls, Shawn Marion for Dallas, Tony Allen for Memphis, etc.

Yeah, Ron guards the better offensive player. Still, Kobe doesn't play "no defense," ala Melo. He is lazy at times, but is still decent compared to most wing players in this league.

he is nowhere near all NBA D anymore, no one is arguing that. But he's not Monta Ellis or near it.

You are really reading all of this into some Kobe trash talk? I think the point he was trying to make was that, yes, even though Kobe is old and sucks on D now, at least he has played defense in the past and shown that he understands that defense is important, whereas Melo has sucked on defense since he was a rookie.

No, I was making a random joke based on his trash talk and then Mamba jumped to Kobe's defense.

You're someone who always points to stats. Now go find me some that validates the claim that Kobe plays "no defense."

His DRAPM of 0.0 which is actually inflated due to previous years of actual quality defense.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
not sure if you're ready for MKG to style on us tomorrow

hope you enjoy nerlens noel whoeverdafuck

we'll take shabazz

fuck noel lol

cellar dwellers for zeller

all in for len

doodoo for mcadoo

edit
so many ghostedits my body can't take it

keep sucking down that salt

I still don't know when you guys decided to leave the tank bros. You guys were literally right there with us in terribadville and out of nowhere you took a sharp right on the mediocrity exit.

Good news is if you don't sign Bynum to an extension you have a decent chance of tanking next season, the best season to tank.

That's the thing we never were tankbros. We were always 8thseed or bust bros. Which is why we are here...then again we often pick Evan Turner's and shit when we do "tank" (I don't think Eddie Jordan was trying to lose games....he just sucks) so maybe not.

Join me, Knux.

Join the Swagkatz

Real talk the two games I've seen were hype as fuck. And MKGodChrist is pretty damn awesome.

I might when we go on our annual we are what I thought they were run of losing games....or Doug decides he needs more souls to ruin.

DY_nasty

That what that pregnant chick say to you last night?

Enjoy not using contraception... up until you start having to pay child support.

adam pls

you score less than eric gordon
So Kobe is a bad defender, now? You guys are being really dumb.

He hasn't been a consistent good defender in years. Get over it. lol
That's the thing we never were tankbros. We were always 8thseed or bust bros. Which is why we are here...then again we often pick Evan Turner's and shit when we do "tank" (I don't think Eddie Jordan was trying to lose games....he just sucks) so maybe not.

Real talk the two games I've seen were hype as fuck. And MKGodChrist is pretty damn awesome.

I might when we go on our annual we are what I thought they were run of losing games....or Doug decides he needs more souls to ruin.
The sad part is that Turner is slowly turning into Fat Diaw.

Only probably the most accurate defensive stat.

And that the Lakers have been garbage on defense since their big men were playing merely good instead of great defense.

I don't see anything to validate your claim of "no defense." Nor do I see you address the fact that Laker starters w/Fisher had a Deff Eff of 97.

I also pointed out that both SGs and SFs perform below average production when Kobe is in the game. You haven't addressed this, either.

Your "no defense" claim is incorrect.

He hasn't been a consistent good defender in years. Get over it. lol

And no where did I argue he's consistently good. Learn to read.

He's doing the same thing when the CP3 trade fell through, and the same thing now that Phil wasn't hired.

You're making no sense. I said I wanted CP3 and proved you wrong on this one. And I wanted Phil first. I've made that clear.

Kobes a good defender when it comes to guarding stars when the lights are on.

Problem is he only faces Wade, Bron and Durant a few times a year.

Other than that he leaves capable shooters wide the fuck open in order to gamble on irrelevant shit ALL THE TIME.

DY_nasty

I keep reading here that hes shot as a player for 4 years now. The hate for him is strong. Will never get the credit he deserves. EVER.

?

"He's typically an inefficient chucker that takes most of the game off on defense and could shoot his team out of a game just as fast as he saves it."

What's wrong with that?

DY_nasty

And no where did I argue he's consistently good. Learn to read.
Then what the fuck were you arguing? lol

IWMTB said Kobe doesn't play D either and he's right. Kobe doesn't. But its okay though. I don't think Kobe heard him. Kobe hasn't played D at a high level since 2004, before he started resenting his teammates.

giri

Other than that he leaves capable shooters wide the fuck open in order to gamble on irrelevant shit ALL THE TIME.

I'm basically seeing mamba doing a

"WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE KOBE ALONE" youtube melt down soon.

Giving up on Beal already? Tsk, tsk...

Not really. He's progressing at about a rate that's to be expected, 13, 2 and 4 with a bad overall FG% but stroking it pretty well from deep.

Smart players with good shot selection take a real long time to develop. Beal is going to be a stud in year 3, but he won't add any wins to this team for a while.

reilo

You're making no sense. I said I wanted CP3 and proved you wrong on this one. And I wanted Phil first. I've made that clear.

Please. You were simping hard over the prospect of losing Pau and then spun it to proclaim that not getting CP3 was a good thing.

Then what the fuck were you arguing? lol

IWMTB said Kobe doesn't play D either and he's right. Kobe doesn't. But its okay though. I don't think Kobe heard him. Kobe hasn't played D at a high level since 2004, before he started resenting his teammates.

IWMTB: Kobe plays no defense

me: No, that's not true

you: OMG STOP ARGUING HE'S ALL NBA D

players who play no defense: Kevin Martin. Monta Ellis. Amar'e.

Do you put Kobe in their category? Because I don't.

Please. You were simping hard over the prospect of losing Pau and then spun it to proclaim that not getting CP3 was a good thing.

I never did. I quoted my own posts back at the time and then you shut up about it. I said I was said to see Pau go but was excited about CP3. And said I was pissed about the veto. GTFO.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So Kobe is a bad defender, now? You guys are being really dumb.

He has been for like four seasons, even before that he was above average at best and even then only in fits and spurts.

Sure he is better on D than Amare/kevin martin/nash but he is only one step above that.

At this point Kobe's biggest asset on D by far is the reluctance of refs to call shit on him.

I don't see anything to validate your claim of "no defense." Nor do I see you address the fact that Laker starters w/Fisher had a Deff Eff of 97.

Because Bynum and Pau were actually trying on defense in the first half of the year and because no one could score in the first half of the year, I think I posted about this multiple times already, actually.

I also pointed out that both SGs and SFs perform below average production when Kobe is in the game. You haven't addressed this, either.

lolwtf, I posted about this two or three times already. I could see if you don't agree, but not remembering is odd. Drinking enough to impair the memory is not the answer even in times like these.

But I'm glad joking about Kobe's lack of effort on defense can turn into a several post argument in which you started drinking heavily.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Why would you get Nate McMillan for defense?

Because he is a great defensive coach?

People forget that the Seattle teams he played for under Karl and that he coached were really defensive minded..

Because Bynum and Pau were actually trying on defense in the first half of the year and because no one could score in the first half of the year, I think I posted about this multiple times already, actually.

Which doesn't explain why they were among the top in the league at the time.

Unless it's all Bynum and Pau in which case NBA-GAF has been arguing Bynum isn't good on D, either. Everyone on the Lakers suck at defense according to GAF.

lolwtf, I posted about this two or three times already. I could see if you don't agree, but not remembering is odd. Drinking enough to impair the memory is not the answer even in times like these.

But I'm glad joking about Kobe's lack of effort on defense can turn into a several post argument in which you started drinking heavily.

Yeah, this is a solid argument. You made a joke but it's not the first time you've made this claim. It's a dumb claim.

Kobe is not on defense what monta and martin are.

reilo

shit damn fuck

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

There aren't really any other "stars" at his position other than the ones you listed..

Top Bottom