• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Not really. He's progressing at about a rate that's to be expected, 13, 2 and 4 with a bad overall FG% but stroking it pretty well from deep.

Smart players with good shot selection take a real long time to develop. Beal is going to be a stud in year 3, but he won't add any wins to this team for a while.

His shot selection would probably be better if he wasn't competing with Crawford for playing time. I've been impressed with what he's done so far. I can't wait to see him and Wall on the court together. I hope I'll get to see it when you play us at the end of December in DC because I've got tickets to that game.

Mamba you're a nice kid but Kobes been living off of reputation for a few years now.

I mean I'd go as far as to say he's the worst perimeter defender in the league if he wasn't capable of turning it on when he really wants to.

Seriously, the shit this guy gets away with makes me blush sometimes. Flat out not guarding capable shooters, crashing the boards and leaving his man before the guy with the ball has even shot the ball, funneling players into help that isn't there and then screaming at them like it was their fault...list goes on.

He's a great player but it's part of what he has to do these days to keep his numbers up given his minutes/seasons played.

There aren't really any other "stars" at his position other than the ones you listed..

Which is why he's awful on D 95% of the time.

Other guys he likes to try hard against -- Paul and Westbrook for example after they inevitably carve up whatever Lakers point guard is playing at the time. Loves to duke it out against Pierce as well when Metta gets exposed.

Okay, I will admit that Kobe is a better defender than Kevin Martin. Whatever.

I'm sorry to distract the posting from the fact that the Lakers passed up on Phil Jackson for Pringles or that the Spurs are going to score 120 tomorrow since those are more interesting topics.

Just caught up on ESPN and they reported:

• Phil Jackson did not ask for travel restrictions or team ownership, he did ask for personal decisions.
  • Phil was told the job was his by the Lakers' FO,
  • Phil had his agent fly in on the redeye last night and was fully intent on signing a deal today
  • He wasn't going to press hard on the power issue and was going to sign regardless of whether he got those demands or not.

Looking at that makes this choice seem super bizarre, why did they not at least wait until the meeting today?

I don't think the Lakers make it out of the second round with Pringles and if they don't make it out of the second round I doubt Howard will resign on a team that will be even older. Could have just fucked the Lakers future with this choice.

His shot selection would probably be better if he wasn't competing with Crawford for playing time. I've been impressed with what he's done so far. I can't wait to see him and Wall on the court together. I hope I'll get to see it when you play us at the end of December in DC because I've got tickets to that game.

His shot selection isn't the problem. It's that it's almost TOO good, and when you don't have creators on the floor or you have guys taking dumb shots you're almost never going to find a good shot. As a result there are a large parts of the game where he's invisible.

Awesome, I'll probably go to that one also, MKG is my dude.

shira

• Phil Jackson did not ask for travel restrictions or team ownership, he did ask for personal decisions.
  • Phil had his agent fly in on the redeye last night and was fully intent on signing a deal today
  • He wasn't going to press hard on the power issue and was going to sign regardless of whether he got those demands or not.

Looking at that makes this choice seem super bizarre, why did they not at least wait until the meeting today?

I don't think the Lakers make it out of the second round with Pringles and if they don't make it out of the second round I doubt Howard will resign on a team that will be even older. Could have just fucked the Lakers future with this choice.
He's going to have so much more leverage if Pring fails

As I wrote, Woj refutes this as do some laker reporters I heard. Woj is saying both sides have agreed to pretend that the Lakers imply chose Mike D over Phil.

I'll trust those like Woj and whose job is to follow the lakers daily over ESPN right now.

I don't want to believe the Lakers passed on Phil if he was willing to simply coach without restrictions on travel.

He's going to have so much more leverage if Pring fails

It will be too late for him to return by then.

Mamba you're a nice kid but Kobes been living off of reputation for a few years now.

Don't need reputation when I watch him every night. I routinely complain about him being lazy on here. If you think he's a terrible defender compared to the rest of the wings, sigh.

h3ro

I'd rather have Nate full time over Pringles. The decision is still mind boggling to me.

mjPAn.jpg

"I'll earn your love, Moris... just you wait."

?

"He's typically an inefficient chucker that takes most of the game off on defense and could shoot his team out of a game just as fast as he saves it."

What's wrong with that?

See what I mean?
Dude please.

I mean I'd go as far as to say he's the worst perimeter defender in the league if he wasn't capable of turning it on when he really wants to.

Seriously, the shit this guy gets away with makes me blush sometimes. Flat out not guarding capable shooters, crashing the boards and leaving his man before the guy with the ball has even shot the ball, funneling players into help that isn't there and then screaming at them like it was their fault...list goes on.

He's a great player but it's part of what he has to do these days to keep his numbers up given his minutes/seasons played.

Which is why he's awful on D 95% of the time.

Other guys he likes to try hard against -- Paul and Westbrook for example after they inevitably carve up whatever Lakers point guard is playing at the time. Loves to duke it out against Pierce as well when Metta gets exposed.

Wow. Just wow. You must be 18 or something.

This is where I bow out. You guys are just too much. I don't have the energy to revisit everything Kobe has done for the last 17 years that you would all like to erase.

Im out.

The Howard thing is a non-issue to me. I'll believe a player in his prime turns down $25 million when it happens.

The rest of the stuff, yeah it's bizarre because he likely was asking for a lot of that stuff. Now that it's happened you are probably going to see a lot of truth smearing from both sides. If Phil really was asking for a ton of power and future ownership stake I can't blame the Buss family for saying no, especially in this current state. This is why they should have fired Brown after last season, or just rolled with Bickerstaff the rest of this one. You need a full offseason to make these kinds of decisions, whether you decide on Phil or D'Antoni or anyone else.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
See what I mean?
Dude please.

This is where I bow out. You guys are just too much. I don't have the energy to revisit everything Kobe has done for the last 17 years that you would all like to erase.

Im out.

lmao

what about that is wrong? he takes most of the game off on d - if he even bothers on the defensive end at all

i don't understand the takemyballandgohome mentality whenever someone says something i dont like. especially when its not even a concrete subject like russell westbrook's 'disability'

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
imagine when Dr. buss croaks.
thats when the real circus begins.
Dr. Buss is part of the problem let whoever you in charge run it or don't step down
lmao

what about that is wrong? he takes most of the game off on d - if he even bothers on the defensive end at all

i don't understand the takemyballandgohome mentality whenever someone says something i dont like. especially when its not even a concrete subject like russell westbrook's 'disability'
Yeah 12 years ago he was great d so we can't talk about his game now it's common sense

giri

lmao

They argue it like all players don't.

The only wing who has been playing both ends is LBJ, and even then, only since he got to the Heat. He took plenty of time off in Cleveland.

S

Im out.

Damn why are you so salty? Kobe wins chips even while playing shitty D, so it's not like it's the biggest knock on the world against him.

I don't see why dudes are catching feelings over soemone saying Kobe isn't as good of a defender as he was when he was younger...

I thought this was common knowledge.

It's really not anything to be mad about.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I don't see why dudes are catching feelings over soemone saying Kobe isn't as good of a defender as he was when he was younger...

I thought this was common knowledge.

It's really not anything to be mad about.
You must be 18

The same defensive teams Chris Paul makes because he steals the ball a lot?

The same defensive team that Iggy only made like once despite shutting dudes down?

Those defensive teams? The same ones that have been popularity contests for a while?

Look Kobe was a gdlk defender in his day but those days are gone, dudes been in the league forever so of course he's not as good anymore...hell he doesn't he try sometimes because he has to conserve energy now.

Like why is this a thing?

Top Bottom