• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Brown was enshrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame as a coach on September 27, 2002 and is widely considered one of the greatest coaches in basketball history

wiki don't lie.
Dy is just salty over LB's tenure in NC

Vahagn

As I wrote, Woj refutes this as do some laker reporters I heard. Woj is saying both sides have agreed to pretend that the Lakers imply chose Mike D over Phil.

I'll trust those like Woj and whose job is to follow the lakers daily over ESPN right now.

I don't want to believe the Lakers passed on Phil if he was willing to simply coach without restrictions on travel.

It will be too late for him to return by then.

Don't need reputation when I watch him every night. I routinely complain about him being lazy on here. If you think he's a terrible defender compared to the rest of the wings, sigh.

I think You're wrong about this. The Lakers didn't need to rush to hire D'Antoni. They needed to meet with Phil, bargain for a few days and strike a deal. They jumped to sign Pringles a lot sooner then they needed to. Maybe Phil asked for the moon at first as an opening gambit, but what's clear and irrefutable is that Phil is now saying he didn't need all that and the Lakers never allowed the negotiation to continue.

We're 2-0 under Bernie and D'Antoni can't coach for a week anyway, they could have done their homework and made a decision Wednesday. if they couldn't convince Phil to back off some demands then fine, they tried, they obviously could have though and thus they made a mistake.

Also, Phil wanting final decisions over personnel matters doesn't hurt Mitch, it helps him. I'm pretty damn sure that Phil/Mitch agree on personnel matters a hell of a lot more than Mitch/Jim do and it would take Jim out of the equation, which would be good for everyone. I trust Phil's and Mitch's basketball mind over Jim's - heck I trust Jeannie's over Jim's. This was a bad move by the Ownership and if they don't chip the fans will be pissed!

I think You're wrong about this. The Lakers didn't need to rush to hire D'Antoni. They needed to meet with Phil, bargain for a few days and strike a deal. They jumped to sign Pringles a lot sooner then they needed to. Maybe Phil asked for the moon at first as an opening gambit, but what's clear and irrefutable is that Phil is now saying he didn't need all that and the Lakers never allowed the negotiation to continue.

We're 2-0 under Bernie and D'Antoni can't coach for a week anyway, they could have done their homework and made a decision Wednesday. if they couldn't convince Phil to back off some demands then fine, they tried, they obviously could have though and thus they made a mistake.

Also, Phil wanting final decisions over personnel matters doesn't hurt Mitch, it helps him. I'm pretty damn sure that Phil/Mitch agree on personnel matters a hell of a lot more than Mitch/Jim do and it would take Jim out of the equation, which would be good for everyone. I trust Phil's and Mitch's basketball mind over Jim's - heck I trust Jeannie's over Jim's. This was a bad move by the Ownership and if they don't chip the fans will be pissed!

I'm still of the belief Phil doesn't really want to coach but was willing to do it if they gave him a shit ton of ridiculous demands, like not traveling.

Like always we'll never know the whole truth. What's done is done. No point harping on it.

I'd have been okay with seeing how Bernie would have played out, though.

giri

I'm still of the belief Phil doesn't really want to coach but was willing to do it if they gave him a shit ton of ridiculous demands, like not traveling.

Phil really wanted no part of it, i think he wanted to prove he could manage the franchise, then steal the GM job.

Which he probably could

He wants none of that coaching doe. He's old and rich, coaching is too draining.

Blackace

Phil really wanted no part of it, i think he wanted to prove he could manage the franchise, then steal the GM job.

Which he probably could

He wants none of that coaching doe. He's old and rich, coaching is too draining.
Wonder if a team will throw a GM gig to him soon?

Emwitus

The Lakers signed Pringles. Pringles, of all the choices they had?

It's not as bad as it sou.........

kobe-bryant-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1660.gif

Nevermind

Vahagn

Like always we'll never know the whole truth. What's done is done. No point harping on it.

I'd have been okay with seeing how Bernie would have played out, though.

Based on him rejecting the Orlando or Portland gigs? Sure. But chasing rings is Phil's thing. I really think he wanted a Pat Riley type thing. Win a couple chips, groom a successor then get into management. As a Laker fan, I'd love that because outside of Mitch I don't trust a soul on their management complex, and everything Jeannie knows she probably learned from Phil.

Whatever what's done is done, but it was a huge mistake.

Isn't it being reported that Jerry was a bigger advocate for D'antoni than Jim was? As far as doubting Jim, he did just get us Nash and Dwight for basically nothing and last year got us Paul if it wasn't for basketballreasons. I think it's a little premature to be making Dolan comparisons like some are doing in here. Joking or not.

Personally I think this was more of a style move. It seems like they wanted to bring some offensive flash back. Not sure if it's gonna work, but I would feel better with Phil at the helm that Mike. However, I do think the guys will respond better to D'antoni than Brown.

Branduil

The Suns got as far with Boris Diaw as they did with Amar'e, that must mean he's just as goo-wait, this one might actually be true.

Blackace

Based on him rejecting the Orlando or Portland gigs? Sure. But chasing rings is Phil's thing. I really think he wanted a Pat Riley type thing. Win a couple chips, groom a successor then get into management. As a Laker fan, I'd love that because outside of Mitch I don't trust a soul on their management complex, and everything Jeannie knows she probably learned from Phil.

Whatever what's done is done, but it was a huge mistake.

You don't trust a front office that got you Nash and D12 for almost nothing?

Before that Pau and CP3? Ok

Pimpwerx

So Kobe is a bad defender, now? You guys are being really dumb.

No. He's been an average defender much-longer than that. Coasting undeservedly on reputation alone, for some time now. How often is Kobe tasked with guarding the other team's best guard? Dude looked incredibly bad in the Olympics too. PEACE.

what in the honest fuck happened with Lakers management? what happened to the 2nd meeting that was going to happen today? there are reports Phil even flew in his agent to sign a contract.

Top Bottom