• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012-13 Oct/Nov NBA Season |OT| Mavericks Attempt To Defend Title

Eric Gordon

Results are only viewable after voting.

ryan-ts

Raptors lose!

tumblr_m6v6jtOvOR1qdcel5o1_250.gif

Triple U

Banned
Completely untrue. I simply gave up on Kemba because he gave too many fucks considering his abilities and it effectively handicapped him more than any defense could've. Now that he's unfucked himself, I'm free to love him again like I did at the beginning of last year.

Rondo, on the other hand, clearly wouldn't be able to get away with half of his bullshit if he weren't consistently covered by better surrounding talent. It is absolutely baffling that people admire his assist numbers while he routinely runs the worst offense in the league(when you take into account the talent available). Meanwhile, the Bobcats shouldn't be cracking 87ppg - but they are, and a large part of that is Kemba. Hell, the Bobcats are shooting under 30% from 3 and score just as many ppg as Boston. That's fucking ridiculous.
That's a lot of bull you had to make up to prove a weak point.

Miami Heat: 19/10
Los Angeles Lakers: 15/4
Oklahoma City Thunder: 9/2
San Antonio Spurs: 10/1
Los Angeles Clippers: 12/1
Chicago Bulls: 16/1
New York Knicks: 18/1
Memphis Grizzlies: 20/1
Boston Celtics: 25/1

Hm... really?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Rondo aint seein Cp3. no one is. still great tho, i aint about to shit on a 20 assist game, lol.

He has quite a few 20+ assist games in his career.

Completely untrue. I simply gave up on Kemba because he gave too many fucks considering his abilities and it effectively handicapped him more than any defense could've. Now that he's unfucked himself, I'm free to love him again like I did at the beginning of last year.

Rondo, on the other hand, clearly wouldn't be able to get away with half of his bullshit if he weren't consistently covered by better surrounding talent. It is absolutely baffling that people admire his assist numbers while he routinely runs the worst offense in the league(when you take into account the talent available). Meanwhile, the Bobcats shouldn't be cracking 87ppg - but they are, and a large part of that is Kemba. Hell, the Bobcats are shooting under 30% from 3 and score just as many ppg as Boston. That's fucking ridiculous.

Everyone keeps saying this... what super talent do the celts have that other teams don't? Last year he averaged this many assists as well. Cehck the numbers, these guys aren't the offensive power houses they used to be. KG hasn't been an offensive beast since he got to Boston, especially post knee iinjury. Ray Allen was TERRIBLE last year after he rolled his ankle... have we forgotten he was benched in favor of Avery? He shot in the 20s for the second half last year, when he actually played which was rare. Pierce was also dealing with a foot and knee issue. These guys are OLD. Rondo can really work an offense, it's fine if you don't think so, but that's just how it goes. Rondo is attacking the basket, shooting better from midrange, and making his teammates better around him. Chris Wilcox is a significant contributer on this team, thanks to what Rondo has made for him.

I'm not really sure why people keep bringing up the Celtics' offensive stats. They've been close to last in offensive rebounds and pace for the past five years, which would incapacitate any offense. The fact is that Rondo is no longer surrounded by supreme talent. For the past two or three years, the Celtics starting lineup has been riddled with injury and the unbridled consequences of aging. Rondo's been spectacular in spite of the Celtics' rotting roster.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
lulz a bunch of home games

it's the league worst kept secret that the TD Garden statkeeper fluffs Rondo's assist numbers

Not sure if sarcasm... maybe you should watch Rondo more. I understand the criticism, he doesn't score a ton, he's gotten better, but he still can't hit a consistent jumper, his FT% is awful. This year though, his midrange has improved, he's added a few new moves around the rim (particularly his work on the euro step), he's averaging just under five rebounds, his FG% is great. He's been great this year, and he's getting better as is the whole team, with each passing game. Their defense sucked the first few games, but they've since figured out the rotation, they're getting more chemistry together as Wilcox has worked his way back, Terry's getting more involved, Green has had a few good games, Courtney Lee still hasn't got going, and Sullinger finally had a nice game.

I'm not really sure why people keep bringing up the Celtics' offensive stats. They've been close to last in offensive rebounds and pace for the past five years, which would incapacitate any offense. The fact is that Rondo is no longer surrounded by supreme talent. For the past two or three years, the Celtics starting lineup has been riddled with injury and the unbridled consequences of aging. Rondo's been spectacular in spite of the Celtics' rotting roster.

Because superstars raise their team's offense to respectable or great levels regardless of their supporting cast and the Celtics are a bottom 5 offensive team. Also Rondo is just about the worst scorer among starting PGs in the NBA other than Rubio and Rondo might be the only player in the league to get a pass for being unable to score effectively.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
KD will easily average 35 if he played with Rondo.
That's not saying much. KD hasn't played with a PG in years.
Everyone keeps saying this... what super talent do the celts have that other teams don't? Last year he averaged this many assists as well. Cehck the numbers, these guys aren't the offensive power houses they used to be. KG hasn't been an offensive beast since he got to Boston, especially post knee iinjury. Ray Allen was TERRIBLE last year after he rolled his ankle... have we forgotten he was benched in favor of Avery? He shot in the 20s for the second half last year, when he actually played which was rare. Pierce was also dealing with a foot and knee issue. These guys are OLD. Rondo can really work an offense, it's fine if you don't think so, but that's just how it goes. Rondo is attacking the basket, shooting better from midrange, and making his teammates better around him. Chris Wilcox is a significant contributer on this team, thanks to what Rondo has made for him.

Celtics have never won with offense though. Its been a consistent running joke for years. The only that has changed has been the decline of what was arguably one of the best NBA defenses of all time to merely a damned good defense when KG is on the floor. The offense has merely fluctuated between fishoutofwater and drowningchicken in that time span.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Because superstars raise their team's offense to respectable or great levels regardless of their supporting cast and the Celtics are a bottom 5 offensive team. Also Rondo is just about the worst scorer among starting PGs in the NBA other than Rubio and Rondo might be the only player in the league to get a pass for being unable to score effectively.

He's averaging the most PPG of his career so far... and maybe you should check his Game Logs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/rondora01/gamelog/2013/

A couple of 20 point games. When the offense couldn't get going earlier in the year he took control. He's been scoring just fine so far this year.

He's averaging the most PPG of his career so far... and maybe you should check his Game Logs.

A couple of 20 point games. When the offense couldn't get going earlier in the year he took control. He's been scoring just fine so far this year.

He's scoring better so far this year, but I doubt his shooting will continue at this level. He'll go back to his normal level of shooting and then be a 11 PPG scorer in 38 minutes at terrible efficiency again.

DY_nasty

After that bullshit against the Wizards? No.

Lol no.

He's the same Rondo with an added spot up jumper. KG and Pierce are still the best guys on the team by far.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He's scoring better so far this year, but I doubt his shooting will continue at this level. He'll go back to his normal level of shooting and then be a 11 PPG scorer in 38 minutes at terrible efficiency again.

He's been steadily improving from midrange first off... second off he's finish at the rim significantly better this year.

DY_nasty

He's been steadily improving from midrange first off... second off he's finish at the rim significantly better this year.

This really all goes back to Mr. CarFlags saying that he's the best point guard in the league by far.

Which is simply false.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This really all goes back to Mr. CarFlags saying that he's the best point guard in the league by far.

Which is simply false.

I never said that, but he's definitely moved his way up the ranks. People have been arguing whether or not he belongs in the conversation and I believe he does.

edit- and again you must not watch must Celts because while KG is still a force defensively, it really stops at that, and Paul Pierce isn't the same guy either, still damn good, but he's 35 years old.

It's boring to see Rondo being argued as a top 3 PG for his "purity" without seeing an argument for why Tyson Chandler is the best center in the league due to being the most "pure" center in the league. Chandler is elite at what his position most demands and can't score well at all so he is a pure center.

But the only people who use terms like pure are those that don't pay attention to defense and think there need to be more centers like Al Jefferson so I guess it's not going to happen.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's boring to see Rondo being argued as a top 3 PG for his "purity" without seeing an argument for why Tyson Chandler is the best center in the league due to being the most "pure" center in the league. Chandler is elite at what his position most demands and can't score well at all so he is a pure center.

But the only people who use terms like pure are those that don't pay attention to defense and think there need to be more centers like Al Jefferson so I guess it's not going to happen.

One of the main reasons is Tyson is not a stat Stuffer, yea he Rebounds well, he anchors the defense, and he shoots a high percentage, but he doesn't put up massive numbers in any category. Rondo gets a few triple doubles a year, he's already broken a few assist records, and is still working on the 10+ streak sitting at 2nd all time. He's a stat stuffer, and he plays at what some would consider an elite level on both ends, I personally think his defense was severely overrated, although he's playing signicantly better this year.

edit- for the record I'm not arguing against Tyson here, I'd take him on this team in a heartbeat, I'm trying to explain why he slips under the radar.

Tom Penny

All I know about Rondo is that he's one of the best PG's in the league however you slice the cake and he plays better in the playoffs which is even more important.

Triple U

Banned
lulz a bunch of home games

it's the league worst kept secret that the TD Garden statkeeper fluffs Rondo's assist numbers
Thats a real poor way to try and discredit someone. Good thing we have youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dA8qh4dhuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnc9ez485vI&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZj_vXrodIM

Nothing you wouldn't see at any home arena in the league.

He had 11pts on 45% shooting last year, thats fine for a pg who isn't the first or second option.You all really try too hard.

Look, you all have many valid Rondo arguments, but you need to stop repeating this one. Last season the team scored 103+ per 100 with Rondo and less than 95 without him. Their bench when Rondo is out is the problem with their offense along with being one of the worst offensive rebounding teams ever (in which Rondo is actually good at).

Boston's total offense isn't bad because of Rondo. Rondo is one of the reasons that offense wasn't bobcats bad last season.

I've pointed this out to you like 3 times this year.

more info: Starting lineup Allen = 104+. Starting lineup Bradley = 112. Their offense is good when rondo is in.

Don't know this season's stats, though.

Look, you all have many valid Rondo arguments, but you need to stop repeating this one. Last season the team scored 103+ per 100 with Rondo and less than 95 without him. Their bench when Rondo is out is the problem with their offense along with being one of the worst offensive rebounding teams ever (in which Rondo is actually good at).

Boston's total offense isn't bad because of Rondo. Rondo is one of the reasons that offense wasn't bobcats bad last season.

Most teams with high level PGs have terrible production with their bench point guard in the game.

Those numbers are worse than Conley Jr's really.

Top Bottom