• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Azuran

Banned
I couldn't watch anymore of the TFC-Sounders game. These commentators are embarrassing. I thought they were supposed to be unbiased. I think that is the first time I have ever seen commentators say "We" when talking about the home team in any sport before and that comment about Johnson was stupid.

They also keep butchering Avila's name. Really says a lot when I rather listen to Gerry Dobson of all people

s7evn

This just in: the red bulls aren't very strong defensively. That is all.

also, this game is chippy as hell. These teams are not playing nice.

Hieberrr

I missed the start of the game... did they say why TFC didn't start any of the 3 DP players?

wait?? Frings got injured??

I'm not sure about the DP's, but I think it may have to do with giving them a rest. We'll see after the break though.

yeah, Frings got inured on a sliding tackle inside the box.

xbhaskarx

I just got home. After the Mexico game, outside ATT park there was a figh just a few feet away from me, some little guy hit some big dude over the head with a Corona bottle and there was blood everywhere. He got arrested and the bloody dude was yelling some nonsense about how he's a Raiders fan and therefore this didn't really bother him, as he continued to wipe blood off his face.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
3ACta.jpg
3ACta.jpg

xbhaskarx

Some nice passing by RSL... lol Roy Miller backheel right to Espindola, that could have been a real disaster.

"Boggles my mind."

One team doesn't bother with the combine and draft, the other uses their second round pick on an underclassmen out of junior college and immediately starts him vs LA and NY.

Akim

Banned
TFC defense is pretty atrocious. Seattle just slammed their backline. They should be very scared of Santos.

Hieberrr

TFC defense is pretty atrocious. Seattle just slammed their backline. They should be very scared of Santos.

Yeah, TFC looked really weak defensively.

What drives me nuts is the fact that when the ball gets moved up, our players always stop the ball, then proceed to turn around and advance it. This gives the defense more than enough time to stop the runs. Passes are weak as shit, and thus runs are barely ever made. TFC has a lot of trouble advancing the ball as a result of this, especially when they try to counter. The lack of a real passing system keeps them from being able to play at a fast pace.

I think it has to do with the fact that players on this team, and even the league, are reactive. No one knows where their teammates are until its actually time to pass the ball.

I hope we pick it up next week and get a win against San Jose.

EDIT: At least Vancouver is playing rather well :D

s7evn

Back from the bars, good to see RSL got another win (though there was little doubt, since they were pretty much in control when I left). I'm pretty impressed with Kreis' trust in Velasquez, though I can't wait for Morales and Saborio to return.

I'm just trying to figure out if the altitude of Colorado and Utah make a huge difference at all for them at home.

Socreges

Banned
Crowd looks pretty sparse at this Chivas vs Whitecaps game.. wow.
Curious what the real attendance was. I feel like 8000 would be generous. Huge portions of the lower bowl without a single person.

Whitecaps with their first ever road win and 2-0 to start the season.... won't get my hopes up since they haven't faced strong teams, but they've looked solid.

Remy

Curious what the real attendance was. I feel like 8000 would be generous. Huge portions of the lower bowl without a single person.

Match report says 7723.

What I can't understand is that the SJ-HOU game had a reported attendance of 21816, but every time they did a reverse shot the place looked empty as hell.

Hieberrr

Match report says 7723.

What I can't understand is that the SJ-HOU game had a reported attendance of 21816, but every time they did a reverse shot the place looked empty as hell.

Is that actually attended or tickets sold?

Either way, 8K is extremely little :S

just got back from the Union game

unsurprisingly we lost
the evil genius Peter Nowak thought it would be a good idea to play 3 in the back and sit our captain and starting CB Danny Califf for the useless journeyman Chris Albright, who got abused and cost us the GWG

Union played a strong 1st half and were unlucky to come away with anything. Rapids didn't really do much for a majority of the game, they had a man sent off for 2 yellows and even with the man advantage for over 30 minutes we couldn't equalize

gonna be a long year for the U

Justin

I couldn't watch anymore of the TFC-Sounders game. These commentators are embarrassing. I thought they were supposed to be unbiased. I think that is the first time I have ever seen commentators say "We" when talking about the home team in any sport before and that comment about Johnson was stupid.

Well they are our announcers. Ever since the Sounders started we have had our own announcers, last couple of years we had Arlo White but he left to do national games. He was replaced with Russ Fletcher and Kasey Keller this year.

I miss Arlo :(

Well they are our announcers. Ever since the Sounders started we have had our own announcers, last couple of years we had Arlo White but he left to do national games. He was replaced with Russ Fletcher and Kasey Keller this year.

Although, I also didn't really like the Sounders announcers, I also don't like the local TFC announcers either.
I'm not really a fan of any local announcers. I prefer watching a neutral style of play by play where I really can't tell who the guy's favorite team is.

Well, was at the Philly game yesterday. Great weather, great crowd...all spoiled by the madness that is Nowak.

Benched Califf over a knee injury...a knee injury that Califf had no idea he had lol.
We sang happy B-Day to Danny and asked "why arent you starting?", he shrugged his shoulders and basically said "I dont know"
Part of me thinks we might see a Jordan Harvey situation...god I hope not.

As usual Lopez made a defensive blunder and Zachs inexperience reared its ugly face.
Then Califfs replacement in the line-up, Chris Albright, showed a great slide tackle that led to a break...Oh course Albright says he was clipped and he "never misses a tackle like that"
I wont even go into the line-up musical chairs...

oh well...

Heres some vids I took yesterday.

Pajoys goal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrBhGCR6JpE&list=UUz-9Y2pVZ1LYkQCzn_EDCtw&index=1&feature=plcp

Heartbreaking moment when the crossbar denies the U a goal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQgTdALJe_E&list=UUz-9Y2pVZ1LYkQCzn_EDCtw&index=2&feature=plcp

Man I love this league.

How many of you have the mls live subscription? Is it worth it? Do many games get covered? I'd be watching primarily on iPad.

xbhaskarx

wow: "The 3 Cascadian teams have 13 points in 5 games. The entire Eastern Conference (10 teams) has 14 points in 15 games played."
And 12 of those 14 points are KC and Houston, the other 8 eastern teams have a total of 2 points...

s7evn

wow: "The 3 Cascadian teams have 13 points in 5 games. The entire Eastern Conference (10 teams) has 14 points in 15 games played."
And 12 of those 14 points are KC and Houston, the other 8 eastern teams have a total of 2 points...

The east is definitely not a great place in comparison to the western teams. Most of the west can win/compete with the top of the east. The top of the east is good, but the middle and bottom are bad.

Socreges

Banned
Caps' #1 pick Darren Mattocks suffers burns in cooking accident

I always just laugh when off-field stuff like this happens, no matter how serious, no matter how many times I've almost done it to myself.

whoooop

Azuran

Banned
Season's over. Better get used to last place again guys.

Torsten Frings Injury Update

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that Captain Torsten Frings sustained a strain to his right hamstring during the first half of Saturday’s game in Seattle. The midfielder is expected to be out of Toronto FC's lineup for four to six weeks.

xbhaskarx

TFC's odds of getting past Santos Laguna in CCL just went from 15% to 2%...

In more positive news, the NBA "BestGAF" thread has been locked.

s7evn

TFC's odds of getting past Santos Laguna in CCL just went from 15% to 2%...

Seems a bit generous.

Anyways I'm picking some games this week if anyone wants to join. First team listed is the home team.

FRIDAY
Seattle vs. Houston 10PM edt

SATURDAY
Toronto FC vs San Jose 1PM edt
New England vs Portland 4PM edt
Columbus vs Montreal 4PM edt
Chicago vs Philadelphia 8:30PM edt
Real Salt Lake vs Chivas USA 9PM edt
Vancouver vs D.C. United 10PM edt

SUNDAY
New York vs Colorado 4PM edt
Sporting KC vs FC Dallas 7PM edt

SEA 2-1
SJ 3-2
POR 3-0
COL 1-0
PHI 3-1
RSL 4-0
VAN 3-0
COL 2-1
KC 2-1

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that Captain Torsten Frings sustained a strain to his right hamstring during the first half of Saturday’s game in Seattle. The midfielder is expected to be out of Toronto FC's lineup for four to six weeks.

Oh god. Kill me.

Hieberrr

Holy shit, Frei is injured during fucking training. Feels like this team catch a break :( I hope we can pull out a win against SJ tomorrow. If we lose another one, it'll be a really crappy way to start the MLS season. I also don't see us winning against Stantos :S

Top Bottom