• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

-NeoTB1-

HI! Coming over from the MLS attendance thread. I usually only watch international matches and that isn't easy living in murrica. I haven't had the chance to watch a MLS match but I'll do my best to fix that.

Go Crew!

Yeah, that thread inspired me to look for an official MLS topic too. I support a current NASL team, but I'm hopeful they'll reach the top league someday. In the meantime, I'm content to watch any MLS games I can and do my part in making this sport more popular in the states.

xbhaskarx

Sixers owners in on MLS team
Updated: July 6, 2012, 10:58 AM ET
By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

Philadelphia 76ers minority owners Erick Thohir and Jason Levien are expanding to another sport, reaching agreement to become co-owners of DC United in Major League Soccer, according to NBA sources familiar with the move.

Sources told ESPN.com that Thohir and Levien are poised, pending MLS approval, to become partners next week with longtime DC United owner Will Chang, who also serves on the board of Major League Baseball's San Francisco Giants.

DC United has won the MLS Cup a record four times (1996, 1997, 1999 and 2004). CEO Kevin Payne, sources say, will continue to run the club's day-to-day operations.

Sources say Thohir, an Indonesian media magnate who ranks as the first Asian owner in NBA history, and Levien, who worked as an NBA player agent before a stint in the Sacramento Kings' front office that preceded his involvement with the Sixers, will make the construction of a new soccer-specific stadium for DC United their top priority.

Currently sitting atop the Eastern Conference, DC United has played at RFK Stadium since the league's inception in 1996 and has long craved a more suitably sized home ground.

great news for DC United

Hieberrr

So, I just read that Joey Saputo (owner of the Impact) was lowering prices of tickets and introducing new incentives for fans to come (cheap tickets with food, bring a friend discounts, etc...) and it really pisses me off that MLSE hasn't even thought about doing similar things for TFC. Now, I tried being a TFC fan, but the quality of play for the last x amount of years has been consistently bad and ticket prices continue to rise. But I would still like to go watch a match or so at the stadium here and there.

What the fuck MLSE. Quit being giant douchebags....

xbhaskarx

Montreal need to do all that because they don't have a very big season ticket base.
Toronto averages 19k a game, that's only down 1.5k despite years of consistently being terrible. They don't need to offer incentives for fans to attend their games, they just need to worry about the quality of the team. They have proven that they're willing to spend money (third in payroll after LA and NY), if they ever get the management/coaching end of things right, they will be successful in terms of both results and finances.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I guess Beckham didn't mind being suspended since he was at the Murray/Federer match when his team plays in a few hours. Saborio destroyed Portland last night. That jersey exchange between Mullan and Zakuani was very touching and I'm glad he finally made his return. Sounders-GAF is it true that the coach said he might want to send Zakuani on loan so he can get playing time?

I guess Beckham didn't mind being suspended since he was at the Murray/Federer match when his team plays in a few hours. Saborio destroyed Portland last night. That jersey exchange between Mullan and Zakuani was very touching and I'm glad he finally made his return. Sounders-GAF is it true that the coach said he might want to send Zakuani on loan so he can get playing time?

Yeah, AFAIK it's true. I'd be sad not to see him on the team, but if the extra playing time can help get him back to full fitness, it'd be good in the long run.

Send Zakuani to an NASL side please.

LOL at Beckham getting himself suspended to attend the Wimbledon final. Was so disappointing for LA to win MLS Cup last season because of this bitch.

shoplifter

Wow. Bobby Popgun needs to go, not that I haven't been saying that since he didn't start GBS in a playoff game three years ago.

Di Vaio was at least six yards into the box on that penalty, but we still deserved to lose based on that shitshow we put on in the final third.

Big turn around with the Union as of late, and I'm loving it!
I ended up having to watch the game from home cause my son was playing in the Pocono Cup. No way I could make the journey from the Pocono's to Chester, spent the weekend baking in the sun watching U11 games was enough for me.

Hack has taken over and the team is just on a freakin roll. Gomez nets one, Adu, and my man Hoppenot is killin it as a super sub.
You cant help but give Micahel Farfan his props too, he too has been putting up some key assist as well as the game winner in LA last game.

Big game on Wed. tho.
SKC comes to town for the Open Cup Semi's. I'm praying we can keep this run going, would be great for the club and fans to add some hardware.

Big question is tho...Okugo is playing like a beast at CB, what do we do when Soumare is game ready!?!

All-Star starting XI is out.

Goalkeeper: Jimmy Nielsen (Sporting Kansas City)

Defenders: Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Aurélien Collin (Sporting Kansas City), Jay DeMerit (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Heath Pearce (New York Red Bulls)

Midfielders: David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

Big turn around with the Union as of late, and I'm loving it!
I ended up having to watch the game from home cause my son was playing in the Pocono Cup. No way I could make the journey from the Pocono's to Chester, spent the weekend baking in the sun watching U11 games was enough for me.

Hack has taken over and the team is just on a freakin roll. Gomez nets one, Adu, and my man Hoppenot is killin it as a super sub.
You cant help but give Micahel Farfan his props too, he too has been putting up some key assist as well as the game winner in LA last game.

Big game on Wed. tho.
SKC comes to town for the Open Cup Semi's. I'm praying we can keep this run going, would be great for the club and fans to add some hardware.

Big question is tho...Okugo is playing like a beast at CB, what do we do when Soumare is game ready!?!

yea club has some good momentum, i think home field will be the edge we need on Wednesday against KC

as far as Okugo, I think hes going to be sub for the rest of the year, he can spell Valdes at CB and Carroll at CDM and who knows how Soumare's knee is gonna hold up. If we continue playing this 4-3-3 and coach Hackworth stays on next season I think he takes Carrolls spot in the Starting XI. They won't make that move until the offseason out of respect for Carroll's veteran status and because he is still playing pretty well

gutshot

Adu better be careful, if he continues to show the form he did on Sunday, he's gonna get called up to the national team! He was brilliant.

Askani

I know I'm looking ahead, but does anyone know where the Open Cup Final is played? Is it neutral site or one of the team's home stadiums? I expect the Sounders fans on here would know.

I never saw an answer to this in the thread, but I just noticed it on the Wiki page for 2012 Open Cup. Page history says it was just updated on the 7th but I'm not sure how long it's been floating around. Anyway:

• If Kansas City defeats Philadelphia, they will host the winner of the Seattle/Chivas match on August 7th or 8th.
  • If Philadelphia defeats KC and Chivas defeats Seattle, Philadelphia will host Chivas on August 7th or 8th.
  • If Philadelphia defeats KC and Seattle defeats Chivas, Seattle will host Philadelphia on August 8th.

It's pretty ridiculous that RSL and Seattle have 0/11 when they're two of the top teams...

Especially when Ozzie Alonso is easily the best defensive midfielder in the league.

Did any of you guys watch the Sounders/Rapids game on Saturday? Zakuani got some minutes, and the stadium went absolutely bonkers. It was so fucking awesome.

Subitai

Yeah, that thread inspired me to look for an official MLS topic too. I support a current NASL team, but I'm hopeful they'll reach the top league someday. In the meantime, I'm content to watch any MLS games I can and do my part in making this sport more popular in the states.
Which one? Sometimes expansion talk pops up in here.

Also does anyone else lurk in the BigSoccer forums to see where USL and NASL are going to expand?

On a sort of related note, I saw there that Pittsburgh Riverhounds (USL) just started building a place next to Station Square to replace the outdoor amphitheater, but I remember reading somewhere that Pittsburgh was one of the few cities that was over saturated with sports teams and can't really support the teams they have especially considering its stagnant population growth. Point being, I don't see the MLS coming anytime soon.

Pre

I'm a BigSoccer lurker, but I don't visit that often. I usually hop over whenever there's a USMNT game coming up.

I'm betting that Orlando will either be the next team or the one after (assuming the Cosmos enter the league first). Garber has hinted as much to their supporters and they appear to be in a solid situation. And the southeastern United States has zero MLS presence.

I'd really like an Atlanta team, too. Supposedly a group of investors wanted to make a bid but didn't manage to put it all together before the last deadline.

xbhaskarx

screen-shot-2012-07-10-at-3-15-48-pm-png.6861

Subitai

I'm a BigSoccer lurker, but I don't visit that often. I usually hop over whenever there's a USMNT game coming up.

I'm betting that Orlando will either be the next team or the one after (assuming the Cosmos enter the league first). Garber has hinted as much to their supporters and they appear to be in a solid situation. And the southeastern United States has zero MLS presence.

I'd really like an Atlanta team, too. Supposedly a group of investors wanted to make a bid but didn't manage to put it all together before the last deadline.
Ya I think Orlando should have a team if the community has a hardcore nucleus of fans. I'm not as concerned about having teams in every corner of the country as much as having the dedicated fans in position to support the league when things aren't going as well. Even though the league is over represented in the west, there are teams in NY, Beantown, and DC so it will still get (L)eastern coast bias from the NE sport press. 30 years ago, I think it would be more important to get teams in every region to build a league but today fans follow players as much if not more than teams. Long term it probably is important to have big franchises in every metro area in terms of ensuring that there is an academy system to excel the development of talent and have a goal/target destination in a region for kids who like the game more than other sports to aim for early on like with Brek.

LOl at Merrit Paulson and the Timbers Org. You pay for set piece soccer that's what you get brah. Too bad daddy couldn't you more money from the US taxpayers.

Subitai

I'm rooting for either Philly or KC to beat Seattle...
I live near Philly, but when I think about it, what would be best for the league is the team that will make the most of its Concacaf ticket. Honestly that's probably Seattle.

Both those teams have to win tonight before I can worry about that.

Askani

Whooo-hooo! Yeah SKC! Guess I need to check Open Cup championship ticket prices. :D

A lot happy and a little drunk. Party pics to come later. Time for swimming and celebration.

just got back from the KC vc PHI game

SKC deserved the W

both teams played like shit
Union played not to lose instead of free and attacking and the both defenses played well
KC first goal was just good execution with a well placed header

refs lost control of the match after awhile and both sides embarassed themselves, Union with their thuggery and SKC with their constant diving

no cup for us this year :(

xbhaskarx

I didn't see it but thuggery is more embarrassing than diving imo... and why would a team have to resort to diving if the opponents are thugs, wouldn't they legitimately have calls going in their favor?

That TFC victory tonight couldn't have played out any better! In a horrible season like this, a last second win over a Canadian rival at least gives the fans something to cheer for.

I didn't see it but thuggery is more embarrassing than diving imo... and why would a team have to resort to diving if the opponents are thugs, wouldn't they legitimately have calls going in their favor?

the refs lost control of the game earlier tonight
SKC dove all over
All of them cried after every call, even ones that got
It was despicable

Maybe thuggery was a bit strong as we have resorted to that on occasion, tonight it was just intentional elbows flying everywhere from everyone and unnecessarily reckless challenges. It kept happened because the shit refs were inconsistent with the calls and were making strange decisions on when to show the cards, pretty sure just 1 in the first half and it was chippy the entire game. Most of cards were for dissent on both sides, which was hypocritical because it went on all night from both sides and guys had their arms draped over the ref all game long and he didnt seem to mind. Then he just stopped even bothering call anything late in the game when guys were getting suplexed and slide tackled with studs showing.

I think diving/embellishment whatever you want call it is more embarrassing because its never punished. Thuggery can be shutdown pretty easily if a competent ref knows when to take control and lay down the law.

Askani

Ick...started looking at these photos. Some of them are really shitty. The girl I was with needs to work on her photo skills.

Crowd 1:

Crowd 2:

Goal 1:

Goal 2:

Was good times. Such a great atmosphere.

Anyways, I will agree that from what I can tell, the refs did lose alot of control early. As for the diving and the thuggery, I have to admit that I was watching the screen from a horrible angle. All I can really comment on are the big plays, so I'm not in any place to judge if it was bad or not. TheVis may be 100% accurate.

Also, I think Colin may be out for the final due to yellow card accumulation in the tourny. I haven't confirmed yet. It's it's true...that sucks, but I think we can manage. Our back line will just have to really keep focused.

Back from the Philly vs. KC game...

Was an ugly game to watch, one of the worse displays of officiating Ive ever seen at PPL.
The ref lost control of the game or just wasnt paying attention to blantant unsportsman like play.

Just minutes into the game on a corner Colin straight up had, I think Jack Mac, in a head lock! 5,000 people screaming "WTF?!" and a LJ 15 feet away doesnt even care to notice.
Even Bunberry had a viscious shoulder down hit on Valdes, almost hockey like, it was whistled but no card shown.

The "thuggery" in my eyes was because KC didnt come to play "soccer" they came to win by any low brow way needed, and I think, frustrated a young Union team.

When every 5 minutes, or anytime a Union player got close to a KC player, this happened..
DSCN0119.jpg

Truely a night were the "SHOOT HIM LIKE A HORSE!!" chant was fitting.

Its not hard to lose your cool and wanna punch a dude for acting like a vagina in cleats, especially when the officiating is as HORRIBLE.
I watched Zusi throw him self to the pitch at one point, only to look around and notice "Hey, this one time noboy givs a fuck, I better get back up field!"

But to me, that goal was soft, Macmath admitted he was disappointed in himself on letting up saying..
“Obviously, I know I can save that ball,” MacMath said. “And I should save that ball. I shouldn’t have let it in.”
The last goal tho was a freebie, Union down 1-0 with seconds left so MacMath charged up to the center line in a desperate attempt, it was eithier lose 1-0 or say fuck it.

But even so, the Union didnt produce offensively at all, some nice moves from time to time that fell flat. Adu for instance could have had at least 2 assist tonight, if Pajoy knew how to finish. Hoppenot found some good runs to make but he too ened up bobbling it away in the final 3rd. Also the Union tried quite a few unsuccesfull balls over the top, that alwasy tend not to work when most of your team is 6 inches shorter then the opposition..

The atmosphere was venomous in the second half due to just how poor the officating was and unsportsman like the play on the field was.
We began to yell down to Gomez as he was warming up "Go out there and break someones fucking neck!"
The fans screaming at SKC as they lingered around "get off the fucking field!"
A soda and hotdog were thrown in the tunnel..
It also didnt help eithier that quite a few SKC players decided to laugh, wave or salute the fans mockingly on the way to the locker room.

Call me biased but as one reporter said post game..
They've been struggling lately, so they came out with an "anti-football" game plan and got the result. Credit where credit's due.
My problem with KC, is that they're too good of a team to be playing the way they played tonight.

But, like I said...me and my family are pretty biased :)
DSC_0793.jpg

(Pic of my son for an "XBOX MLS fan photo contest)

Well just based on that pic I'd have to say he should win.

I hope, last year he won the "Verizon Youth Player Video of the Week"
He snagged him self a signed Mwanga jersey :)
(GAF helped a bit with the voting hehe)

Think the prize is a Kinect with some Kinect games...anything to get his ass off CoD is enough for me :)

Askani

I'm going to have to rewatch this game. So far in the first 15 minutes (admittingly skipping around) I've seen Kamara almost shoved down three times in the corner, Myers get taken down with a hard tackle, and Espinoza hip checked in mid field.

Askani

I'm obviously hoping for SKC, but I'm not dumb enough to think we're going to dominate the whole game and roll right into the trophy. Right now on a base level, I would hate to say it, but Seattle has the edge I think. That being said, I think if SKC gets pumped for this game and goes in hard charging we can shift that and take the cup.

x2xQX.jpg

The most hilarious photo ever (love the guy grabbing his crotch in the top left)! The jerk-ass Whitecaps players came over to taunt and dance in front of the TFC supporters groups after scoring the tying goal in extra time.

Two minutes later, TFC scored while still in extra time to win the game. The way they taunted the supporters was so classless so it made the win that much sweeter.

Top Bottom