• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Askani

So...I suddenly can't find any confirmation that the game will or won't be on YouTube like all the others...just Gol TV. If it's not on YT, I'm going to be super pissed. I passed up a chance to get a ticket for me so I could have a watch party with all my friends. I'll hit the roof if I'm stuck listening to it on the radio.

Askani

Well hell. I tweeted the broadcast announcer and he tweeted back that there's no YouTube. Gol TV only. We moved our dinner plans up an hour and then we are going to bounce downtown to watch the game at a bar there.

Sorry, Platy. You're boned.

Askani

They upload the complete match?!

SKC has so far. They did live broadcasts to YT and kept them up afterwards. Not for regular games of course but anything considered a special event this year they have been. We still have up full matches for our last friendlies that we did with Stoke City and Montpellier HSC, as well as our U.S. Open Cup matches against the Philly Union, Dayton Dutch Lions, and the Colorado Rapids.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sportingkansascity/videos?view=2

Sadly, not this time apparently. Stupid TV broadcasters getting in the way.

I just assumed this was going to be going to YT as well. I'm not sure when Gol TV got the rights to broadcast this game.

Well hell. I tweeted the broadcast announcer and he tweeted back that there's no YouTube. Gol TV only. We moved our dinner plans up an hour and then we are going to bounce downtown to watch the game at a bar there.

Sorry, Platy. You're boned.

Lame. I appreciate the effort, though, especially coming from a supporter on the other side of the field, as it were.

Askani

Wow...I'm totally spent. The end of the first 90 minutes and the PK shootout was such an emotional roller coaster. Still have a hard time believing we won the trophy. I have, well...We have, been so sports starved here for so long that it's hard to take in. I'm going to wait to discuss the nuts and bolts of the calls and the PKs later. I'm just trying to absorb what I can now before myself and everyone starts to pick it apart later.

Congrats to the Sporting KC fans! A shame Roger Espinoza had to fail his penalty, tho :p

I agree. I wish he was at least on frame. It's easier to say this now since we've won, but: After everything he has done in the Olympics and specifically the Brazil match, Plus coming back last weekend, Plus being hurt, Plus the huge effort he gave on the field tonight...I can forgive him a mistake. That was just a horrible time to pick for it though. lol

Made my heart skip. That whole penalty exchange raised me up and brought me down so much on every kick.

elsk

Banned
Hey guys, I understand the MLS had a terrible time before 2002, right? I'm curious how the league managed to survive and now to have a big fan base and how they managed to fill (most of) the stadiums.

I'm writing an article about it, and trying to take some ideas for the honduran local league because people are not attending to the stadiums anymore.

If you could explain it or link me to some article/page, that would be amazing. Thanks.

gutshot

Hey guys, I understand the MLS had a terrible time before 2002, right? I'm curious how the league managed to survive and now to have a big fan base and how they managed to fill (most of) the stadiums.

I'm writing an article about it, and trying to take some ideas for the honduran local league because people are not attending to the stadiums anymore.

If you could explain it or link me to some article/page, that would be amazing. Thanks.

I think it can be boiled down to smart expansion and the emphasis on soccer-specific stadiums. Prior to 2002, much of the league was playing in huge stadiums designed for (American) football. The consequence of this was even a good attendance number, say around 15k, seemed terrible and this resulted in a poor fan experience, both in the stadium and watching from home. The shift to smaller stadiums, designed specifically for soccer, greatly improved the fan experience. With the fan experience improved, more fans started to come to the games and watch them on TV, which meant more money for the teams and the league.

Smart expansion, into markets that were already proven to have an established fan base, has also been key. Many of the new expansion teams are much more successful than the older, original clubs, simply because MLS has been smart in putting teams in cities where there are already soccer fans and not just putting a team in a big city and expecting the fans to suddenly appear.

There are other factors that probably have contributed to MLS's recent success, such as the designated player rule and the overall increased level of play, but the first two factors are the most important and were the genesis of the MLS's recent growth.

Askani

To go along with what gutshot said, Kansas City went through alot of that, as did alot of teams. We played our early games in Arrowhead Stadium, which is was too small to really hold a soccer field. The stadium holds something like 70,000 people but when only 10,000 show up it gives the appearance of no one caring about soccer, but there were fans here. We had some successes which help build popularity also. The league in general made some good moves and kept building popularity steadily by smart moves and not over expanding too fast. Here, we had a core group of fans that constantly believed in the team and kept showing up to games and supporting them. That continued to grow and grow over time and more and more fans started becoming apparent. Broadcasting the games on local and sometimes national TV also helped. Getting TV deals let people who would probably not go to a soccer game watch the local team and turn them into fans as well. Also, again as gutshot said, soccer specific stadiums have been huge for the league's popularity. Seattle has a great stadium as well. It was designed as a multi-purpose stadium, but it had soccer in mind also which really helps. Your team really has a home instead of "borrowing" someone else's and that makes a big impact. After we moved out of Arrowhead, they started playing games at CommunityAmerica Ballpark for a few years, which is a baseball stadium for the T-Bones (a much smaller market professional baseball league). Finally last year, we moved into our new digs at LiveStrong Sporting Park which is a fantastic stadium.

Also, for some deeper US Soccer history and MLS history, you probably want to read a about Lamar Hunt as well. He was a major force in American Football, but he was also huge for soccer here.

• He founded the AFL, a competing league for the the NFL at the time
  • Helped merge the AFL with the existing NFL to form the expanded NFL we have today
  • Founder and owner of the Kansas City Chiefs (still owned by the Hunt family)
  • Coined the term "Super Bowl"
  • Co-founder of the North American Soccer League (which still plays)
  • Minority founder in the NBA team Chicago Bulls
  • Owned and built two MLS teams (Sporting Kansas City and Columbus Crew)
  • Sold Sporting Kansas City, but then purchased FC Dallas (formally the Dallas Burn)
  • Built one and helped finance another of the current MLS soccer specific stadiums
  • Plus alot of other things I'm probably forgetting to mention.

He's in the Hall of Fame for three different sports in the US. The US Open Cup trophy was renamed to the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup because of his influence in US Soccer. The AFC championship trophy for American Football is called the Lamar Hunt Trophy. And when Kansas and Missouri play (or used to play) college football in the border war game, that trophy was also called the Lamar Hunt Trophy because of his push to have the game in Kansas City and make it a focus. Hell, Hunt even helped tennis along in the US for a time and tried to get an NHL license once or twice. He's a known name and people appreciate his efforts, but I think he has had alot more influence in US sports than most people think. He was a sports world beast for the US.

PhantomR

Banned
Whoo!! I am hella stoked that there's an MLS community here on GAF! :)

Please forgive me as I'm still grieving from my team losing the USOC. But I'm really happy to be here

Askani

Please forgive me as I'm still grieving from my team losing the USOC. But I'm really happy to be here

Did you guys officially lose yet? I wasn't sure if EJ's pk attempt had finally landed or not. :p

Welcome!

So the other thread and the fact that I just moved to Dallas inspired me to pick up a ticket to the FC Dallas game tomorrow. They are playing the Colorado Rapids.

Just me alone, as I don't know anybody here yet, what should I expect? I looked at results, and it seems like they are probably a bad to middling team? I can't really tell, but it looks like they lose more often when it isn't a tie, with a few ugly differentials, but I don't know how to gauge schedule and I don't know which teams are good.

I also literally know nothing of the game of soccer/football except for a few games here and there of the World Cup or a European League game. Oh, and a video I watched on youtube to explain offsides to me. Any primers I should check out to get more out of it? Or just figure it out as I watch like I have done with other sports?

elsk

Banned
So the other thread and the fact that I just moved to Dallas inspired me to pick up a ticket to the FC Dallas game tomorrow. They are playing the Colorado Rapids.

Just me alone, as I don't know anybody here yet, what should I expect? I looked at results, and it seems like they are probably a bad to middling team? I can't really tell, but it looks like they lose more often when it isn't a tie, with a few ugly differentials, but I don't know how to gauge schedule and I don't know which teams are good.

I also literally know nothing of the game of soccer/football except for a few games here and there of the World Cup or a European League game. Oh, and a video I watched on youtube to explain offsides to me. Any primers I should check out to get more out of it? Or just figure it out as I watch like I have done with other sports?

I understand FC Dallas is having a very shitty season. I don't know about their players but Brek Shea looked like a very interesting player for the USA National Team.

I would go to the match but also buy tickets when a bigger team than Colorado is playing against FC Dallas. For example when they play against Los Angeles Galaxy or San Jose Earthquakes.

Offsides is the most complicated rule in soccer, so if you got that down, you shouldn't have much else to worry about rules-wise. A couple other things:
1. only the referee has the official clock, as a half nears ending, you'll get an approximate update as to how much "stoppage" or "injury" time will be added on to the 45.
2. Each team can only substitute 3 players total in the whole game

Dallas is having a rough year. When I've watched a game on TV, their stadium has looked pretty empty, so you might get to move down pretty close if you want.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Welcome to the thread. I saw you found your way here through the other thread.

Dallashas some talented players but they are one of the worst teams in MLS this year.

Askani

Glad to see that we didn't rest on our laurels after the Open Cup win. SKC was hard charging and we put massive pressure on DC United all night long. They really wanted to keep their momentum going it seems. We had three frame shots as well. That game was really close to being 4-1 or 5-1. Also, we were getting alot of chances from the run of play, which we normally don't get, and that I've been wanting more of all season. Really glad to have Colin back too. We really missed him back there for the games he was gone. Next is to get Chance Myers back full time. Harrington has been playing in his spot and he's just...not great. He has some okay touches, but he looks nervous every time he touches the ball and plays backwards too much for my taste. Probably a consequence of being nervous.

Nice job guys. Keep it up.

Just some friendly ribbing. Zusi's attempt was just as shitty if not worse. I really don't have any room to talk.

Yeah, they are just having a poor and/or unlucky season. Then there's Brek Shea, who is supposed to be one of there stars, has been pretty much a non factor so far in the year. Poor performance + Unlucky + Let down from a top player = The kiss of death.

Man I haven't checked in here for a while. So I stop following the Fire hardcore and they finally decide to be decent side again. Go figure. Pretty happy with how the season has turned out since I had such low expectations coming in. Still not sold on current ownership/management so its hard for me to go "all in" like I have in the past.

MLS nearing deal on a $300 million stadium in Queens

Pretty badass location. Would this be for the ReCosmos or would the next NY team be a completely new franchise?

Pappa to leave Fire after season for Dutch league

So as a Fire fan this means we ended up getting nothing for one of our best assets in recent years + we'll get a Pappa looking ahead to his Euro career and thus looking to "preserve" himself for remainder of season and avoid injuries. Great stuff!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man I haven't checked in here for a while. So I stop following the Fire hardcore and they finally decide to be decent side again. Go figure. Pretty happy with how the season has turned out since I had such low expectations coming in. Still not sold on current ownership/management so its hard for me to go "all in" like I have in the past.

Pretty badass location. Would this be for the ReCosmos or would the next NY team be a completely new franchise?

Sweetness, now I won't have to drive out to Jersey to watch a NY team.

So if the new team is in NY, who gets moved to the West? Chicago? Houston? KC? If they keep this same 3/1 game split, it's going to kill someone's playoff chances...

Askani

From a Washinton Post article about the DC vs. SKC game and DC player rankings. Also, some minute by minute comments that cracked me up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...17fe0e4-e57c-11e1-8741-940e3f6dbf48_blog.html

52’ — Again, KC has an open player on the back post. This time it’s Graham Zusi, and he hits the crossbar! United is in Survival Mode, which is the setting next to Failure Mode.

62’ — Graham Zusi receives the ball on the back post. . .

62’ — Graham Zusi controls the ball. . .

62’ — Graham Zusi lines up the shot. . .

62’ —Graham Zusi brings surveying equipment onto the field to help himself line up the shot. . .

62’ — Graham Zusi goes into the locker room and watches some game film to study the tendencies of Bill Hamid. . .

62’ — Graham Zusi pays a quick visit to his life coach to put himself in the proper mental place to execute the shot. . .

62’ — Graham Zusi takes a flight out to Red Rocks and engages in a visualization exercise, repeatedly picturing the ball going into the back of the net. . .

62’ — Graham Zusi returns to Livestrong Park and smashes a shot between Hamid’s legs. GOAL KC! 2-1!

63’ — Just a little bit of hyperbole in my description of the buildup, but geez: Graham Zusi had a ridiculous amount of time to line up that shot. You could have slow-cooked a full rack of Kansas City ribs in the amount of time he had. Paging Mike Chabala.

lol, I had some of those thoughts in my head as that goal happened. "he's got all day", "he's getting set up", "man, how does he still have time?" "how the hell did he know to shoot through his legs?!".

elsk

Banned
RUMOR: "David Beckham will be in Miami next week to close a deal for a MLS franchise."

So as a Fire fan this means we ended up getting nothing for one of our best assets in recent years + we'll get a Pappa looking ahead to his Euro career and thus looking to "preserve" himself for remainder of season and avoid injuries. Great stuff!

I don't understand how transfers work in the MLS, is he leaving as free agent or on loan?

RUMOR: "David Beckham will be in Miami next week to close a deal for a MLS franchise."

I don't understand how transfers work in the MLS, is he leaving as free agent or on loan?

He signed a pre-contract. Means once our season ends he joins his new club. New club does not pay the Fire a penny since his deal expires at this time. If he does return to the Fire we get back his rights before any other MLS club can grab him, so at least that part is nice.

elsk

Banned
He signed a pre-contract. Means once our season ends he joins his new club. New club does not pay the Fire a penny since his deal expires at this time. If he does return to the Fire we get back his rights before any other MLS club can grab him, so at least that part is nice.

Oh I see. So his contract with Fire is ending, and he's joining his new club as free agent.

Those Cosmos sure put alot of pressure on them.

Osorio

I'm anticipating the loss of fans at Red Bull Arena causing Red Bull to sell the team and the Metrostars 2.0 will go on.

From a Washinton Post article about the DC vs. SKC game and DC player rankings. Also, some minute by minute comments that cracked me up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...17fe0e4-e57c-11e1-8741-940e3f6dbf48_blog.html

lol, I had some of those thoughts in my head as that goal happened. "he's got all day", "he's getting set up", "man, how does he still have time?" "how the hell did he know to shoot through his legs?!".

Ha ha, I just went and read this. Awesome that Graham Zusi's dad shows up in the comments, too.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it more of a land issue than a financial issue since United has that new foreign investor?

There is a promising patch of land that we're aiming for. I'm assuming now with our new owners we're just negotiating a deal for it that might take awhile. Apparently news should be out by the beginning of the year.

It would be nice if MLS put in as much effort to build a stadium for its most decorated franchise rather than support a brand name.

You know I agree with you in earnest brah. Absolutely disgusting that MLS is spending 300 mill on this shit rather than helping out. I know this feeling all too well as an A's fan.

Plus I want the Cosmos to elevate the NASL, while Ottawa, Northern Virginia and others come along.

Osorio

would be awesome, i miss the metrostars name and do not like corporate sponsorships. hopefully they would also bring back the milan-inspired kit.

I think it's inevitable. I'm a hardcore Red Bulls fan, formerly a Metrostars fan. I would not be one if it wasn't for the 10 years of suffering and $ that I went through supporting it. If I was a new fan, clean slate, and lived in NYC what possible reason could I have to support the Red Bulls over the Cosmos? It's an uphill battle that I'm happy is going to begin. Either Red Bull is going to have to figure out some way to cater to the Metropolitan area or they're gonna have to change the name, forming a new club with a new philosophy.

Fantastic all around for soccer fans in the Tri-State area.

Osorio

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

That would be great and ultimately what you guys deserve. I haven't gone to a DC away game since 2009 because the upper deck would freak me out. Some sections seriously felt like you were bouncing on clay. I'm probably going on the 29th because I heard the away section is now in 118 or whatever, where La Norte used to be.

Osorio

@FrancoPanizo
Breaking #RBNY news: No one is listed on their injury report for the first time in maybe ever.

l-Hallelujah.jpg

Osorio

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2012/08/15/3662/queens-mls-stadium-isnt-imminent-really/

The short version: The project still needs to go through the city land-use process, which would likely take a year or more; and before it can even get to that point it needs the support of the local city councilmember, who is currently wary of the deal, in particular how and where replacement parkland would be located. Also, the Mets owners hate it, and they’re the kind of 800-pound gorilla that can stop something like this in its tracks.

As a Union fan I can say we are pretty much fucked, theres almost no chance we make the playoffs no matter how much the Union try to spin it.

I was at the game on Sunday...Soumare looked like TRASH...Adu as usual did his step-over-fall-down move and was trash..
Seriously I saw Soumare on two occasions during the game do a clearing kick that looked worse the a U-8 player doing it, he hit it with the side of his foot and just shanked them all over the place. Not to metion getting beat in the air, which was one of the main reasons we brought his big ass in..

I'll be honest, in two seasons as a season ticket holder ive missed 2 games Ive been that so committed but what did I do this Sunday for the first time ever? I left at half time..

The U is making a shit ton of money, selling out the stadium and seeing merch on cars, heads, and backs of people in the NJ/PA area yet they refuse to bring in some quality veteran players or a DP. This season is done for us, I cant wait to see what happens in the off-season.

/angry rant

Osorio

As a Union fan I can say we are pretty much fucked, theres almost no chance we make the playoffs no matter how much the Union try to spin it.

I was at the game on Sunday...Soumare looked like TRASH...Adu as usual did his step-over-fall-down move and was trash..
Seriously I saw Soumare on two occasions during the game do a clearing kick that looked worse the a U-8 player doing it, he hit it with the side of his foot and just shanked them all over the place. Not to metion getting beat in the air, which was one of the main reasons we brought his big ass in..

I'll be honest, in two seasons as a season ticket holder ive missed 2 games Ive been that so committed but what did I do this Sunday for the first time ever? I left at half time..

The U is making a shit ton of money, selling out the stadium and seeing merch on cars, heads, and backs of people in the NJ/PA area yet they refuse to bring in some quality veteran players or a DP. This season is done for us, I cant wait to see what happens in the off-season.

/angry rant

Philly started off well as an expansion team but they made one HUGE mistake. And that is hiring this man:

scaled.php

Good luck!

Top Bottom