• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

yea DC vs Union game was embarrassing. Ref was horrible all game long and I honestly couldn't describe either team as much better than horrible either.

My Union are impotent when it comes to scoring goals as DC's backline was as bad as I've ever seen our clube play against in our 3 years of existence. Any quality professional team would have capitalized and put 3 or 4 goals on the board by the half against that joke of a defense.

PK call was right, but the Union got the benefit of the doubt on most of the other calls including a phantom foul on the keeper that took a DC goal off the board.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
yea DC vs Union game was embarrassing. Ref was horrible all game long and I honestly couldn't describe either team as much better than horrible either.

My Union are impotent when it comes to scoring goals as DC's backline was as bad as I've ever seen our clube play against in our 3 years of existence. Any quality professional team would have capitalized and put 3 or 4 goals on the board by the half against that joke of a defense.

PK call was right, but the Union got the benefit of the doubt on most of the other calls including a phantom foul on the keeper that took a DC goal off the board.

Yep very ugly game. I want to erase it from memory.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
that is just sad. If the new ownership group gets a new stadium soon, hopefully it will bring more people like in KC. DC is not a terrible team. Why the poor attendance ?

Crappy stadium, inconsistent schedule, better draw in town (Nationals), crappy play often. It will get even worse once the NFL starts. I could probably think of more reasons. I haven't been able to go to a match this year since I've been down at school all year.

Askani

Yeah...man. What a crazy last couple of minutes for the DC vs Union game. I was watching a movie and flipping back and forth. I come back to the penalty, then to the second red, then the accumulation red, then the fighting, then the fighting between DC players, and then the ref called the game on the 5 minute mark without adding any extra time for all the stoppage time fouls and cards. Just...damn. Sounds crazy. Sorry I missed the early part of the game to see how it played out to get to that point.

So bad call on the first D.C. goal. And I cannot even begin to understand how he called the penalty back. Union had an "advantage" but you only call that back if they actually benefited from the advantage. Ref better have to answer some hard and serious questions from the league about was he was thinking.

Osorio

YES! Pearce!

Great game on the entertainment side. Miller played some of the worst 30 minutes I've seen in the 17 years I've seen this franchise play.

Gaudette is a beast.

One of the best home games I've been to in years.

Voice is gone, I'm still drunk.

I haven't seen such poor officiating since... since... well, the WBA v Liverpool game on Saturday.

But really was exceptional. Why was the PK called back? And why did that one fellow get the first red card? And the second red?

I haven't seen such poor officiating since... since... well, the WBA v Liverpool game on Saturday.

But really was exceptional. Why was the PK called back? And why did that one fellow get the first red card? And the second red?

the PK was called back because Pontius from DC ran into the arch above the top of the box before the ball was struck, which is apparently illegal the same way someone "encroaching" into the 30 yard box is.

Boskovic got a Red card because of some altercation where he knocked or tackled one of the Union players (Roger Torres) to the ground. I didnt see it as the broadcast decided not to show it, but the announcer was talking about it as it happened.

The second red was a bad call, should have been a yellow, Dudar went into the back of a player with his studs up and caught him on the back of his ankle. A couple guys got their seasons ended last year from tackles like that (Zakuani?) and the refs were told to call those tougher to prevent injuries. As a Union fan I thought it was harsh, but the one United player must have thought it was legit and as laid into the guy as he was walking off the field after being ejected telling him to "be smarter" or something like that (you could read his lips and tell by his gestures)

then the refs after about 5 minutes of drama after the original 5 minutes of extra time was announced, decided to end the game on the 5 min mark which was ridiculous...

Osorio

all good but a lot of the franchises can do a lot of improvement. And DC, San Jose and NE need soccer specific stadiums.

San Jose is getting one. I assume DC is going to get one. New England needs a new owner. Kraft has no reason to get them a stadium when they play at Gillette rent-free. He also probably views Revs games as extra revenue for the mall they set up there.

The Red Bulls could do MUCH better in terms of market outreach as well. For our market not to be able to sell out 25,000 seats consistently is a joke imo.

Askani

As soon as I say that, FAS starts with a goal and mad pressure. Still 3-1 but they really have put the Dynamo on their heels.

xbhaskarx

Thank you Sean Johnson for helping out on a few of the goals.

I need to watch the condensed match on MLS Live to see if Sean Johnson was as bad as the comments in my twitter feed are suggesting he was...

Can MLS start keeping a "Total Derps" stat? I feel like Sean Johnson is the shittiest keeper in MLS but I do not have statistical proof.

Hieberrr

Aw shiet. Consider me an Impact fan now :D
This is the first MLS team that I actually feel like I care for. I only really supported Toronto due to the locality of the team, but I support them no more!

Allez Montreal!

xbhaskarx

Eventually Toronto will figure it out, and when they do, they are only behind LA and NY in terms of what they're willing to spend (payroll, academy, etc)...

But I just don't get the same feeling for TFC as I do with, say, Bayern

And what is your connection to Bayern?

Hieberrr

Eventually Toronto will figure it out, and when they do, they are only behind LA and NY in terms of what they're willing to spend (payroll, academy, etc)...

And what is your connection to Bayern?

Nothing, asides from the fact that I actually care for the club and actively wake up early in the morning to watch their matches. I wouldn't say that I have any real historical connection to Bayern (asides from me being born in Germany--which isn't even a real connection LOL). One of the reasons why I gave the league a try was because I was born in Germany and wanted to see some German football, and bam! I instantly fell in love with the league. I also tried the PL last season, but I wasn't very excited last season until the very end. This year, I just watch random matches every weekend when I can. All indicators of where I was born (near Dortmund) would indicate that I would support Dortmund (especially after their title run the season before), but meh.

I rarely make the effort to watch a TFC matches though and those happen at like 7PM. I find myself more excited by the way Montreal plays and am pretty impressed with what Saputo was able to build in just a year. I've been to 2 TFC matches so far and while they were enjoyable, I find that the fans aren't really "into" the match. Asides from the supporters sections, most fans simply let out a short lived "YEAH!" and start clapping. It's a total buzz kill LOL. But yeah, I like what MTL has become in just their first season and hope I can go there one day to experience it myself :D

Fake edit: Plus I chose to support Arsenal this season as my #2/#3 team... yeah... Arsenal ={

Actual edit: I'm sure they will figure it out. I'm just really tired of the direction that management has taken the team in and the whole brand hasn't lived up to what it could have been. Even if the team wasn't winning, I really hoped for some exciting football and some excitement from the stands. The fans seem completely dead in the stands. I mean... I feel like I'm watching golf at BMO field sometimes.

But yeah, I'm sure they'll turn it around in the next few years when they get rid of all of the dead weight contracts.

Askani

L.A. 's offensive chemistry looks great but their backline is breaking own a little.

And holy shit, Saunders just took that Metapan players out. Total knee to the face. I'm surprised he got back up.

Askani

Wow...talk about completely jackass calls. That was totally and 100% ridiculous. Keane gets his foot stepped on, his leg clipped, and he goes down. Ref gives him a yellow for diving. In no way was that a dive. Not even a question. So Keane waves to the bench to be taken out, ref thinks he's "upstaging" him, so he gives him a second yellow for dissent. Two cards that were completely the wrong call. Beckham comes in and says something to the ref and then he gets a card. What a fucking joke.

EDIT :::::

I guess Beckham didn't get a card. Ref wasn't even sure who he was flashing it too apparently.

Askani

Wow...then they do give him a yellow for time wasting on the way out, which he wasn't doing. Sweet Jesus. Ref is on a power trip.

EDIT :::::

Then L.A. socres a goal while down a man. This match is fucking nuts.

Askani

L.A. gives up a deserved penalty, then score another 10 man goal right before the end of the game. What a wild ride.

I bet the reason for the cards in the official book will be listed as "Because they're gringos".

xbhaskarx

Just read about the Keane incident lol what a joke.
Is there video of this anywhere?

Also Askani and other SKC fans, do you know what is going to happen with the Livestrong stadium name?

Askani

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrhh385uQm4

Here's the full match highlights, about the only one I can find right now. The shenanigans start around 2:15 for Keane.

Also Askani and other SKC fans, do you know what is going to happen with the Livestrong stadium name?

Too soon to tell I think. My guess is it will probably hang around. Even if Lance gets a ton of heat, deserved or not, it depends on how much comes back on LiveStrong. I still think it's a good group regardless. Hopefully people can separate the two things because LS is still a worthy organization for what it does. You can cheat or not cheat to win a race. You can't really cheat to beat cancer.

Nesotenso

It's still an organization that raises money for cancer research. Unless the charity itself is corrupt the name will likely stay. But the situation is all messed up

Askani

So I read a tweet from one of our broadcast guys. He said that Henry was going to miss the game with SKC because his new baby may come this weekend. With the way the East is all knotted up, that's pretty huge.

Osorio

So I read a tweet from one of our broadcast guys. He said that Henry was going to miss the game with SKC because his new baby may come this weekend. With the way the East is all knotted up, that's pretty huge.

I trust Le Toux and Cooper up top. Our problem isn't offense, it's our fucking backline.

In other news, Meara is out for the season :(

The Luis Robles move just made a whole lotta sense.

I'm sure they will figure it out. I'm just really tired of the direction that management has taken the team in and the whole brand hasn't lived up to what it could have been. Even if the team wasn't winning, I really hoped for some exciting football and some excitement from the stands. The fans seem completely dead in the stands. I mean... I feel like I'm watching golf at BMO field sometimes.

Don't take what I said too seriously. I'm just bitter that you don't want to go down with the sinking ship with the rest of us.

About the fans being dead, I've been going for six years now. Six horrible losing seasons in a row in which not only has the front office never lowered prices, they actually raised them considerably. I think I'm paying more than double what I was in the first season. Its got to the point where even the most die-hard fans are starting to walk away. I wouldn't be surprised if they are only drawing 12,000 a game next season. But can you really blame it on the fans? Six losing seasons in a row could break the spirit of fans of any team in any sport but I think people could have rolled with it if they showed us any kind of respect.
All they had to do was freeze or lower prices for a few seasons, throw in some free Champions League games - ANYTHING!

The fact that any atmosphere exists at all is amazing to me. It's fallen so far compared to what it was but the front office at Maple Leaf Sports should thank their lucky stars for the fact that even a single fucking fan shows up in spite of their stupidity, incompetence and arrogance.

(note: I'm dropping my season tickets next season to have them notice that I'm not happy. I think it's the only thing they understand. I'm a fan for life though so I will be picking up single tickets to go to games on match day for under market value. I won't be buying a new set of season tickets until Maple Leaf Sports shows the fans some fucking respect)

Osorio

Don't take what I said too seriously. I'm just bitter that you don't want to go down with the sinking ship with the rest of us.

About the fans being dead, I've been going for six years now. Six horrible losing seasons in a row in which not only has the front office never lowered prices, they actually raised them considerably. I think I'm paying more than double what I was in the first season. Its got to the point where even the most die-hard fans are starting to walk away. I wouldn't be surprised if they are only drawing 12,000 a game next season. But can you really blame it on the fans? Six losing seasons in a row could break the spirit of fans of any team in any sport but I think people could have rolled with it if they showed us any kind of respect.
All they had to do was freeze or lower prices for a few seasons, throw in some free Champions League games - ANYTHING!

The fact that any atmosphere exists at all is amazing to me. It's fallen so far compared to what it was but the front office at Maple Leaf Sports should thank their lucky stars for the fact that even a single fucking fan shows up in spite of their stupidity, incompetence and arrogance.

(note: I'm dropping my season tickets next season to have them notice that I'm not happy. I think it's the only thing they understand. I'm a fan for life though so I will be picking up single tickets to go to games on match day for under market value. I won't be buying a new set of season tickets until Maple Leaf Sports shows the fans some fucking respect)

I've been with this shitty franchise for 17 years now. While we've never had a 6 year playoff drought it's been pretty shit. Sometime, someone is gonna get it right. Trust me.

Hieberrr

I hope I didn't sound like I took it too seriously xD

I felt like this season was the season that this team would finally change (or at least show some type of an improvement). We retained the coach from the previous year and he had a vision. We kept the core of the team while adding what I thought were solid pieces. All that went into the potty when the season began. One of the new defenders left after a few weeks citing that he missed his family (not gonna hold it against him) and the rest of the backs were dreadful.

And I just knew that Koef wouldn't be able to play a full season. I knew that once he was gone (based on off-season acquisitions), Johnson would replace him; Johnson is slow and utter crap.

I think that this year is the year that TFC hit the bottom of the ocean; Payroll filled with useless contracts, ticket prices are sky high, on-field performances are the worst they have ever been, management has absolutely no answer for anything, etc...

I agree with you; I can't believe fans still show up at the rate that they do. I would've expected sub-9k fans by now. It really is a miracle. Management has done nothing to give fans a reason to continue the support. I feel bad for Season Ticket Holders who pour all that money into their seats and are treated like begging customers.

As a side note: While BMO Field is a nice facility, I hate that there is no roof. I was baking in the sun for 2 hours during the Union game. It was unbearable :S. GET A ROOF, DAMN IT!

TFC will never figure it out. Just like the Raptors.
They just have to get rid of their shitty DP contracts and players and start fresh. Get players who can keep the ball on the damn grass instead of passing it through the air.

They'll have their few good years once they do and then they'll drop off again. It's a Toronto thing :(

Side note: This is why I would dread relegation/promotion in the MLS. If TFC can't make it out of the bottom of the table in 6 straight years... good luck getting out of the 2nd tier.

Sat in the seats provided to me from Microsoft tonight instead of the supporters section at the Philly RSL game..was relaxing but damn boring, like the game :/

One good thing, I found Bakary Soumare...he sat in front of me the whole second half chatting with a friend -_-
cIBQj.jpg

Yep, the Unions big transfer window pick up now has only played 1 game and doesnt even suit up anymore.
I said to him at the end of the game "Its gonna be nice to see you out thier"
He said "I'm trying man, I'm trying". Guessing the leg injury is still a factor, considering his one game he did play he looked like ass.

I guess we add him to the list of money spent on players you dont see play: Lopez, Torres, Soumare, Perlaza...

Sat in the seats provided to me from Microsoft tonight instead of the supporters section at the Philly RSL game..was relaxing but damn boring, like the game :/

One good thing, I found Bakary Soumare...he sat in front of me the whole second half chatting with a friend -_-

Yep, the Unions big transfer window pick up now has only played 1 game and doesnt even suit up anymore.
I said to him at the end of the game "Its gonna be nice to see you out thier"
He said "I'm trying man, I'm trying". Guessing the leg injury is still a factor, considering his one game he did play he looked like ass.

I guess we add him to the list of money spent on players you dont see play: Lopez, Torres, Soumare, Perlaza...

yea was a tough one to watch tonight, dont have much hope that things will be different down the stretch. Another coach might try something new or unexpected, but Hackworth is probably still looking over his shoulder and will play it safe to eek out points to continue making a case for himself to get the job full time.

Mumei

Hello, MLS-GAF.

I recently have started getting into soccer and I only just now noticed this topic. Have there been any standout games this season in CONCACAF? I have only seen UEFA and Premier League games.

Top Bottom