• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Askani

We won three in a row, so I can't really complain about 3-0-1...

But still, I would have really liked a win here to shore up for the rest of the season and stay close for the Supporter's Shield, and put more room between us and New York. We would have obviously still have to stay on our game the rest of the season, but now even more so.

xbhaskarx

The Supporter's Shield is gone, focus on more realistic goals.

In other news:
Oregonian piece breaking news that Caleb Porter has been offered Timbers job: http://t.co/UBDpqKlK #RCTID

I agree w this:
If it's true, then Caleb Porter, the man who couldn't lead a clearly superior U.S. team to the Olympics, just landed an MLS job.

That'll be another decision the Timbers will have to defend if it doesn't work out for them. I'm not too confident in it at this point.

Would Porter be trying to bring his same Akron style to the narrow ass turf pitch in Portland. He already showed how unwilling he is to change when a plan is obviously not working with the U-23s....

Askani

The Supporter's Shield is gone, focus on more realistic goals.

We're only three points back right now. If our point totals are a tie at the end of the season, SKC owns the first tie break because we won our regular season match against San Jose and we don't play them again. It's not that unrealistic considering we have 8 games left in the season. I still think NYRB are still in it too. You will probably end up being right, but I think it's too early to call it officially gone.

I agree though, we have bigger fish to fry, like finding a way to score more goals. We can grind out wins, but we really need to find a way to score more goals. We're something like 11th or 12th in the league in goals scored. We're still in first with that low total, but if we eeked out a few more wins instead of draws, or ties instead of a one goal loss, we would be flying. I'm hoping we decide to use our DP spot for this. That or we change the way we make runs up front to generate more chances. I don't like to complain when my team is where they are, but somehow I find a way.

LandawgDew

Neo Member
I could be wrong but it's the top 5 in each conference. The top 3 in each conference go straight to their respective conference semi finals. The remaining 4 go against each other in a one-off wild card match up that sorts them like this:

7 vs 10
8 vs 9

Playoffs actually changed this year. Top five teams in each conference. The fourth and fifth place team in each conference play each other in play an elimination game with the winner facing the top seed. After the wildcard round, both the conference semis and finals are a home and home series with aggregate goal scoring used to determine who advances. After the conference finals, there is a one week break; MLS Cup will be played on December 1st and hosted at the home venue of the team with the highest remaining seed.

Edit: Beaten x2

Osorio

That game was horrendous. The result was great since we didn't get a single shot on target. Whatever, DC away on Wednesday.

Osorio

A1TXYEgCUAAKAIS.jpg

I grew to dislike Collin last night.

Askani

http://p.twimg.com/A1TXYEgCUAAKAIS.jpg[IMG]

I grew to dislike Collin last night.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what his deal is. He's flailing way more than he usually does and/or should. He needs to reign it in or he's going to get us in trouble in a game. He's great on 1v1 and makes some great tackles. That being said he's also leading in fouls committed for us. I appreciate his hard charging play, but he gets too aggressive sometimes and it's going to bite him/us.

EDIT :::::

Also, your image reminded me of another one:
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/g134608034823949802g3owg.jpg

Remy

We're only three points back right now. If our point totals are a tie at the end of the season, SKC owns the first tie break because we won our regular season match against San Jose and we don't play them again. It's not that unrealistic considering we have 8 games left in the season. I still think NYRB are still in it too. You will probably end up being right, but I think it's too early to call it officially gone.

First tiebreaker was changed to Goals Scored about three weeks ago, to much complaining from reasonable people who wonder how you can change the rules of a competition mid-season.

And yeah, you're three points back but have you seen the rest of San Jose's schedule?

Chivas Home
Chivas Away
Portland Home
Seattle Away
Dallas Home
Colorado Away
LA Home
Portland Away

Only 2 of their last 8 are against teams in playoff contention. Barring a massive implosion in form, the shield is theirs.

Askani

First tiebreaker was changed to Goals Scored about three weeks ago, to much complaining from reasonable people who wonder how you can change the rules of a competition mid-season.

And yeah, you're three points back but have you seen the rest of San Jose's schedule?

Chivas Home
Chivas Away
Portland Home
Seattle Away
Dallas Home
Colorado Away
LA Home
Portland Away

Only 2 of their last 8 are against teams in playoff contention. Barring a massive implosion in form, the shield is theirs.

I didn't realize they had changed the rule recently. Also, I'm just saying things can still happen. Yeah, it's pretty unlikely, but we're still only 3 points back and are in the conversation at least.

It's not like I'm saying something truly blasphemous here like the Royals can actually make a playoff run this year or something.

Osorio

In retrospect, Erik Soler's done some really solid moves.

Agudelo ain't doing shit at Chivas

Le Toux isn't doing shit here but Richards is off to Burnley once the season is over.

Gaudette has been amazing for us, they picked up Robles knowing Meara was probably not coming back.

Pearce is a savior in terms of defensive depth.

Cahill is a solid leader. I could only imagine how the team would've looked like yesterday without him on the field.

Askani

Ick. Teal Bunbury is out for the season. Having knee surgery on Friday. I guess that collision on the first goal with the NYRB keeper did more damage than people thought.

That's a shame too because he was really starting to get his focus and pick up his play.

Nesotenso

Ick. Teal Bunbury is out for the season. Having knee surgery on Friday. I guess that collision on the first goal with the NYRB keeper did more damage than people thought.

That's a shame too because he was really starting to get his focus and pick up his play.

Real shame. Sapong didn't look great against NY and SKC need goals. Bring Saad upfront Vermes.

Askani

Real shame. Sapong didn't look great against NY and SKC need goals. Bring Saad upfront Vermes.

I'm hoping this is the move he makes. I would like to see Saad get more playtime because he's been pretty good about getting outside shots and actually putting them on frame.

xbhaskarx

Good news...

I'm told that no matter who Timbers hire as coach, decision was made earlier this summer to widen JWF to 74 yards (1/2)
(2/2) that's to better fit the posession style direction they want to go with team. "intimate will get more intimate"

Congratulations @SAScorpions on today's announcement of "Toyota Field" as the new home of the team beginning in 2013.

The newly-named Toyota Field will have 8,000 seats for the 2013 NASL season!

According to press release, the new @SAScorpions stadium will have a capacity of 8,000 expandable up to 18,000

Good news...

I'm told that no matter who Timbers hire as coach, decision was made earlier this summer to widen JWF to 74 yards (1/2)
(2/2) that's to better fit the posession style direction they want to go with team. "intimate will get more intimate"

Congratulations @SAScorpions on today's announcement of "Toyota Field" as the new home of the team beginning in 2013.

The newly-named Toyota Field will have 8,000 seats for the 2013 NASL season!

According to press release, the new @SAScorpions stadium will have a capacity of 8,000 expandable up to 18,000

I am amused that San Antonio was able to find a stadium sponsor before FC Dallas.

I am also amused that the Big 4 uniforms thread got partially overrun by MLS fans. Good show, guys.

congrats to the Crew, well done hanging in there and capitalizing

Normally this would be a soul crushing loss as a Union fan, but realistically our season was over weeks ago so it doesn't quite sting as it should

ATF487

Revs are so weird this year, they're capable of scoring a lot more goals than they would have been in previous years but they still don't have the ability to play defense. You'd think it's the opposite since Jay Heaps is the coach

There was a bigsoccer rumor that the Revs would be moved in 2013 and I wonder if it would be a good thing. They play far outside of the city, and even if I like this team more than previous years, they still lag behind most of MLS. I'd probably be willing to forego a team for a few years if they could have a new ownership group willing to build a stadium in the city

xbhaskarx

That Revs thing was a hoax. Although any team that blows a 3-0 lead, at home, to Chivas, probably should be moved...

A flying header from 18 yards makes for goal No. 100 in the career of Dwayne De Rosario. DeRo No. 7 in the MLS 100 Club.

Cunningham, Moreno, Donovan, Razov, Kreis, Twellman.. and now, De Rosario. #100Club #DCU

Osorio

I think we deserved a win last night. Gaudette lost us 2 points but since he's saved us in many games I can forgive him. Backe once again shows he's not so clever. I also can't wait to have Lloyd Sam in the starting lineup instead of Solli.

2 points in 2 road games though, I'm surprised.

We also managed to kill DC's chances of a top 3 spot in the East. There are just too many teams with more favorable schedules. We have 5 of our last 7 at home. They have 3 of their last 8. :D

Hieberrr

My family is having a BBQ, so no Impact today for me :(

I know absolutely nothing about soccer, but I want to watch it for some reason.
Get FIFA 13 :p
You have a couple of options:
a. Pick the team closest to you, because you'll be able to catch most of their matches.
b. Pick and support l'Impact de Montreal with me :D
c. Watch the Premier League (England).

B sounds like the best option :p

xbhaskarx

Wow, that was the first time I've ever watched a MLS game to see the Columbus Crew and they didn't disappoint... Higuain has to be a lock for newcomer of the year at this point, over those Felipe/Bernier types up in Montreal. Another candidate, Saer Sene, tore his acl last week.

shoplifter

I'm still drenched in beer from that game winner. Just got home.

THIS TEAM DOES NOT QUIT AND I LOVE THEM FOR IT.

1st in the East here we come

Askani

Just got home from the stadium. So happy we pulled out that win. Pretty standard fair for us. Something like 70% possession and making chance after chance. Finally got some goals in our favor and ground out the win.

We were for sure that the Toronto goal was offside, but after watching the review it clearly wasn't. The card on Kamara was bullshit though. They came in on opposite sides of the ball, Kamara is sliding in, doesn't have his leg up t trip the guy, he keeps his legs down at ball level, but gets a card. I don't get it.

Also...holy crap at the Toronto flopping tonight. It was pretty ridiculous. Thankfully they never really benefited as the ref saw through most of it. Their most laughable time had one of their players fall down, and he stays down while the play is going on around him. The ball comes his way and he fully stands up and passes the ball to his teammate, then falls back down again. What a joke.

Other than that, glad Rosell came in and got some legitimate minutes and scored a goal. He's young and eager and that should do wonders for his confidence.

Lastly, got a nice poster of the team celebration with the U.S. Open Cup trophy, got my picture taken with said trophy, and got a pic with Kamara and he autographed my scarf. Pretty good day at the park I must say.

Now I just get to sit back and hope San Jose lose to Chiv...lose to Chi...lose to...man, I can't even type that with a straight face.

Well, we tied 0-0 with New England...but who really cares?

Our season is over, now we are just playing to let guys get some time on the field I guess. Hoppenot got the start and Adu was allowed on the field for more then a few minutes again....

Shit ton of shots, NO GOALS....

Just bring on the off-season so I can see what skilled/fan favorites we lose and what skilled players we dont sign...

On the upside, the free shit at games has got better this last few games, contemplating missing the Columbus game (yeah...I should have) but I got a free bag! *yay* and next home game is a free water bottle!...Hmmm $20 for gas, 5$ for tolls, $20 to park, most likely a shitty game...but I want the bottle lol.

No lie also, I CALLED the Crew game. I look at my son maybe 10sec. before they lost and said "The crew are gonna score"....and they did lol. My son was punching me in the arm saying "Your a jinx, yoru not going to games anymore!!"

xbhaskarx

Higuain: 5 games = 3 goals, 6 assists, & a 4-0-1 Crew record since he arrived. Has had a hand in multiple goals for FOUR straight (all wins)
That is an even bigger impact than Boniek Garcia had w the Dynamo...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the season to be over. We're going to crash out of the playoffs. If that happens Olsen needs to go and so does the front office. They allow terrible tactics/substitutions, value work rate guys over technical players, no accountability, they don't play our strongest players, terrible mid season pickups, and more things I'm forgetting.

The called off RSL goal was a legit goal. There was no handball or offside.

Nesotenso

Great to see SKC make something out of all that possession finally. I don't think Sapong is the answer up front. Supporters Shield is a long shot but the top seed in the East would be great.

Osorio

I think Chicago were given a gift just now. Kandji scored off his right peck and it was counted as a handball.

Chicago are now up 2-0

If the Fire get a win we'll end up in 3rd place.

Remy

I think Chicago were given a gift just now. Kandji scored off his right peck and it was counted as a handball.

Chicago are now up 2-0

If the Fire get a win we'll end up in 3rd place.

You're looking at the MLSSoccer.com scoreboards and adding three points to Chicago - without realizing that the scoreboards are now live and they've already added the three points since they're in the lead.

When are the standings updated?
- At the start of any game.
- When a goal is scored in any game.
- At the end of any game.
- When a team’s Disciplinary Point total is updated.

How does updating work?
- At the start of a game, each team in the game receives 1 Games Played (GP).
- If the score of a game in progress is tied, both teams in that game receive 1 Point (PTS).
- If a team is winning in a game in progress, the team in the lead receives 3 Points (PTS) and the other team receives 0 Points (PTS).
- Other match statistics (Goals, Goals Against, etc.) are updated in real-time.

A win would leave them at 44 points, not 47.

Top Bottom