• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

xbhaskarx

Where do you live? Do you already have a team?

I'm sure standout game depends on who you root for. For me it would have to be
San Jose Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy

I assume MLS Live (live.mlssoccer.com) is available at a discount given that there are only a few months left in the season, if you're interested in MLS you should get that if you can afford it...

Hieberrr

Indianapolis, and I know more Premier League teams than I do MLS teams. :x

I'm gonna be that guy and say, take it slowly :p If you're new to the sport, there's no need to watch every single league. I made that mistake; I tried watching La Liga, PL, Bundesliga, Seria A, and MLS.

I toned it down and watched Bundesliga with a little PL in my first year. This year, I've decided to watch a little MLS while watching Bund/PL full time.

Osorio

The Impact with a victory!

How do the playoffs work in MLS?

I could be wrong but it's the top 5 in each conference. The top 3 in each conference go straight to their respective conference semi finals. The remaining 4 go against each other in a one-off wild card match up that sorts them like this:

7 vs 10
8 vs 9

Osorio

Columbus just came back from a 2-0 defecit and are winning 3-2 and it's only the first half.

Higuain is a beast on free kicks.

Hieberrr

I could be wrong but it's the top 5 in each conference. The top 3 in each conference go straight to their respective conference semi finals. The remaining 4 go against each other in a one-off wild card match up that sorts them like this:

7 vs 10
8 vs 9

Yeaaaaahh, Impact!

Is that how it works? Does that mean we'll have the same problem with eastern teams being in the western conference playoffs again?

Osorio

Yeaaaaahh, Impact!

Is that how it works? Does that mean we'll have the same problem with eastern teams being in the western conference playoffs again?

It depends on who wins the wildcard matchups.

If I'm right the matchups right now would be:

Chicago vs. Vancouver
DC United vs. LA

With both the Eastern teams at home.

Hieberrr

It depends on who wins the wildcard matchups.

If I'm right the matchups right now would be:

Chicago vs. Vancouver
DC United vs. LA

With both the Eastern teams at home.
Ah, thanks!
I guess we'll have to wait for a new expansion team next year to balance it all out.

shoplifter

Joel_Gertner.png

WELL WELL WELL

<3 Federico <3

Who needs a Gonzalo?

Hieberrr

Mid-match interviews with managers should be fucking banned. MLS, do something about this. Now!

I see it in almost every single game and it pisses me off :|

EDIT: Watching Timbers-Whitecaps now.

Mumei

I'm gonna be that guy and say, take it slowly :p If you're new to the sport, there's no need to watch every single league. I made that mistake; I tried watching La Liga, PL, Bundesliga, Seria A, and MLS.

I toned it down and watched Bundesliga with a little PL in my first year. This year, I've decided to watch a little MLS while watching Bund/PL full time.

Heh. Well, right now I am really just trying to do Premier League and Champion's League. I have seen one La Liga game, but it is not readily accessible to me so it is not a priority.

Is Chicago or Columbus the closest team then?

One of them, yes. I honestly don't know offhand which is closer.

Hieberrr

Heh. Well, right now I am really just trying to do Premier League and Champion's League. I have seen one La Liga game, but it is not readily accessible to me so it is not a priority.

One of them, yes. I honestly don't know offhand which is closer.

Good, let's keep it that way :p

I'd say Chicago > Crew.

I'd also say pick Montreal!

Hello, MLS-GAF.

I recently have started getting into soccer and I only just now noticed this topic. Have there been any standout games this season in CONCACAF? I have only seen UEFA and Premier League games.

Catch a replay of tonight's Seattle Sounders - Chivas USA game, if you can.

Unreal.

7 vs 10
8 vs 9

No conference switching this year. It's east 4 vs. east 5 and west 4 vs. west 5.

As for how to get into the league, I highly suggest visiting some websites. Around the League is a great recap / fan interview podcast. SBNation's blogs are generally great for covering individual teams, and are probably the best way to build a connection to a team if you don't have one in your market. If you're looking for someone to root for, I'd highly reccomend one of the teams with large media visibility in order to maximize your ability to follow and chat with fellow fans - I admit the media ecosystem was pretty instrumental in turning me into a Sounders fan as someone who lived in a non-MLS market. The Cascadia teams and LA and NY are good choices for this kind of thing. The full game highlights on mlsssoccer.com, about 5 minutes per match, are great.

Remy

Amibguous Cad is correct re: wildcard games. The league was smart enough to abolish the cross-conference stuff this year.

If the playoffs started right this second, it would be:

Wildcard Matches (one game knock-out):
A: Chicago Fire vs. DC United
B: LA Galaxy vs. Vancouver Whitecaps

Conference Semifinals (two game home-and-home series):
C: Sporting Kansas City vs. Winner of A
D: RBNY vs. Houston
E: San Jose vs. Winner of B
F: Seattle vs. RSL

Conference Finals (two game home-and-home series):
G: Winner of C vs. Winner of D
H: Winner of E vs. Winner of F

MLS Cup (one game knock-out, higher seed hosts):
I: Winner of G vs. Winner of H

Nesotenso

Amibguous Cad is correct re: wildcard games. The league was smart enough to abolish the cross-conference stuff this year.

I like this format a lot.

Osorio

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah it's the best yet, especially with the MLS Cup not being in a neutral venue. Totally adds importance to the regular season.

Hieberrr

Much better than last year. Thanks!

Osorio

The other change is that the conference final is also a home and home instead of a single game knockout. Should be the most epic playoffs this season.

shoplifter

I'd also say pick Montreal!

Ha, don't do this.

If you live in Indy, you have the benefit of a relatively short drive to Columbus or Chicago. I'd advice you to NOT pick Chicago ( :p ), but either way, you live close enough that you should pick a club that you can actually go watch.

If you lived where it was a 10 hour haul, I'd just tell you to pick whichever club you identify most with or enjoy watching the most, but not in this situation. We do have quite a few supporters that drive from Indiana for every home match.

Osorio

Yeah go to a game or two. I doubt anyone gets into MLS merely from watching it on TV. I became a fan because of the necessity of watching live soccer. Now, I hardly care about European leagues.

Osorio

I'm hoping to see this tonight:

-------------------------Cooper--------------------------
---------------------Cahil

Lindpere-------Dax----------Tainio------Solli

Pearce-------Conde-------Hulk-------Barklage

-----------------------Gaudette--------------------------

A 4-4-1-1 attacking, 4-5-1 when defending. Lindpere and Solli are our best crossers with both Cahill and Cooper great in the air. Pearce at left because Miller is atrocious defensively. Dax and Tainio in the middle so that when Dax goes forward Tainio can cover him and vice versa.

I'm fucking pumped.

xbhaskarx

Yeah go to a game or two. I doubt anyone gets into MLS merely from watching it on TV. I became a fan because of the necessity of watching live soccer. Now, I hardly care about European leagues.

But he lives far from his closest MLS teams, so tv/streaming is a lot easier than attending games.

shoplifter

But he lives far from his closest MLS teams, so tv/streaming is a lot easier than attending games.

2.5-3 hours isn't that far - you can make a day out of it here in Columbus tailgating in the parking lot. Supporters groups regularly have free alcohol if you go an introduce yourself. Make new friends!

Askani

Game today is really important for everyone. SKC and NYRB need to keep pace with SJ. If I am not mistaken they will play two more times.

We do, and both in New York.

Today is the number 3 offense versus the number 1 defense. If Collin can keep out of trouble and Myers and Besler keep stepping up, it should be a really exciting game.

Osorio

Game today is really important for everyone. SKC and NYRB need to keep pace with SJ. If I am not mistaken they will play two more times.

I'm just hoping the team finally shows up on the road. If so, it should be a hell of a match. If Miller starts on the left, it should be a shit show.

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah it's the best yet, especially with the MLS Cup not being in a neutral venue. Totally adds importance to the regular season.

I really, really dislike the home-and-away aggregate format for the second and third rounds. It significantly diminishes the importance of the regular season when the higher seed doesn't get any kind of home field advantage (Seattle, for example, doesn't really care if they finish ahead of RSL right now). I'd much rather see a return to the old best of 3 model, or better yet, a 3-game aggregate series with the higher seed getting 180 minutes at home. I'd rather not see one-off games because individual match variation in soccer is so high; it'snot enough time to tell which team is really the better one.

Oh, Mumei, if you have NBC Sports Network, you should check out the LA Galaxy - FC Dallas game tonight. Some of the best players in the league are facing off, with massive playoff implications. I'm sure you know about the trio of DPs in LA - Backham, Keane, Donovan. They're underperforming this year, currently in a low playoff spot that looks a little precarious. FC Dallas has Brek Shea, one of the most promising prospects for the US National Team, and just recently got David Ferriera back from a year and a half long injury. Diminutive but utterly enthralling, Dallas' no. 10 brings Premier-league level flair, creativity, and vision. Without the 2010 MLS MVP, FC Dallas were probably among the league's worst 3 teams; with him, they're playing like one of its best, and are looking at making a miracle mets-style late run into the playoffs. To do so, they need to come very close to running the table. And they absolutely have to win tonight, in a six point game against one of their rivals for the last west playoff spot.

Also, if it makes any difference to you, Chicago has been one of the most vocal MLS teams, and most active among professional teams period, about creating and inclusive environment for GLBT fans and potentially players.

http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2...m-up-with-gay-rights-group-equality-illinois/
http://imagine2050.newcomm.org/2012...ns-unveil-banner-in-support-of-gay-community/

Terrible display by Dallas so far. I don't understand what goes through Hyndman's head. "Hey, let's put the guy who's scored thrice in our last three games when starting at forward at midfield! Then put a guy who can't keep possession up top!" Ferriera and Shea have been completely invisible because of it.

EDIT: much, much better with Perez on.

Top Bottom