• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Askani

Goddamn you Chivas.

1v1 with the keeper on the edge of the 18 yard box and you blow it.

Also, pretty sure that was a handball. San Jose REALLY lucky to not have the keeper red carded.

Osorio

When Juan Agudelo was here he always exuded confidence.

Now he looks like some kid that got left back 3 years in a row.

Must be the Neymar haircut.

xbhaskarx

Well Chivas collects chunky guys who are past their prime, Califf, Joseph, Angel, Moreno...

Not sure how we haven't scored a third in the last few minutes

Osorio

Agudelo is just getting karma for playing for the usa. not that he would make our squad but still...

Blah those motherfuckers didn't even qualify for the Olympics.

And I wouldn't think Agudelo would want to play for Colombia anyway. It had no part in his soccer development.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Blah those motherfuckers didn't even qualify for the Olympics.

And I wouldn't think Agudelo would want to play for Colombia anyway. It had no part in his soccer development.

lol I was kidding. I've lived here most of my life too. shit, we havn't even smelled a world cup since 1998.

damn Uruguay has taken our spot we always finish a couple of points behind them.

I cheer for team usa it's all good. I'm sad he sucks now though :(

Osorio

lol I was kidding. I've lived here most of my life too. shit, we havn't even smelled a world cup since 1998.

damn Uruguay has taken our spot we always finish a couple of points behind them.

I cheer for team usa it's all good. I'm sad he sucks now though :(

Well, it could be worse. El Salvador hasn't qualified since 1982 where they lost 10-1 to Hungary. If anything the program keeps getting worse and worse.

I'm a fan of USA because I was born here but I feel for my momma :(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
How is this teenage forward (Correa?) regarded in Colombia, I remember he looked good in his first few games with Chivas...

Not sure man but if they're regarded as good they go play for FC Porto. I think I read that the foreign county with the most players in mls is Colombia. I don't catch a lot of mls once la liga and the epl kick off.

Never heard of the kid so maybe it's just that mls got to him first now that they're scouting the Colombian league.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Atlanta needs to get an mls team :(

i'd totally go i just dont get the whole singing thing that white peeps do. doesnt that kill your buzz?

Osorio

Atlanta needs to get an mls team :(

i'd totally go i just dont get the whole singing thing that white peeps do. doesnt that kill your buzz?

Wait what are you talking about, people sing at games all over the world.

Also, you guys have this:

AtlantaSilverbacks.png

If it gets enough interest I'm sure Atlanta will be a nominee for expansion.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Lol since when was it just white people singing? The supporters around the MLS are very diverse and singing happens all over the world.

Osorio

lol I was just kidding but watching the epl ,man, them peeps just dont stop.

That's because MLS teams have adopted a style more like Italy, South America, the whole hinchas or ultras sort of philosophy. Most of the fans outside of these groups hardly make any noise and as such the groups who sing do so for 90 minutes.

I tend to criticize many groups for being unoriginal or uninspired when they sing because they sound pretty forced a lot of the times. Also there are some groups where I don't hear an original song from them for 90 minutes. Other groups sing the same 4 or 5 songs for 90 minutes and that bothers me as well. However, it's a young league and I'd think as time goes on it will only get better.

That's because MLS teams have adopted a style more like Italy, South America, the whole hinchas or ultras sort of philosophy. Most of the fans outside of these groups hardly make any noise and as such the groups who sing do so for 90 minutes.

I tend to criticize many groups for being unoriginal or uninspired when they sing because they sound pretty forced a lot of the times. Also there are some groups where I don't hear an original song from them for 90 minutes. Other groups sing the same 4 or 5 songs for 90 minutes and that bothers me as well. However, it's a young league and I'd think as time goes on it will only get better.

I don't mind the plagiarism. Good songs get copied because they're good. I'm still hoping some other groups steal Believe RSL

That said, some of them could really use some more variety..... "FIYUH FIYUH FIYUH" is waaaaay overused. And while the atmosphere is great at most Sounders games, they have too few chants, leading to repetition, and the ones they do use are often too indistinct to make out the words.

Osorio

I don't mind the plagiarism. Good songs get copied because they're good. I'm still hoping some other groups steal Believe RSL

That said, some of them could really use some more variety..... "FIYUH FIYUH FIYUH" is waaaaay overused. And while the atmosphere is great at most Sounders games, they have too few chants, leading to repetition, and the ones they do use are often too indistinct to make out the words.

I have no problem with sharing songs. We share many, I can name off the top of my head

We love you (though we originated this version, taken originally from St. Pauli)
Esta Noche Tenemos Que Ganar (also used by DC)
Take 'Em All (Seattle claims we stole it from them when we were using it in '99 lol)
Ooooo ooo (whatever that shit is spelled out like)
I Believe (taken from college basketball)

However! We also use The Ramones, DMX, Wipeout, Erick Morillo, Car Wash, For You, Stand By Me, and others that are either New York artists or things that we've come up with ourselves. Whereas with other groups I never hear a single original chant coming from them. In fact, every time we come up with something new that we like we're just waiting til we hear it somewhere else.

Remy

However! We also use The Ramones, DMX, Wipeout, Erick Morillo, Car Wash, For You, Stand By Me, and others that are either New York artists or things that we've come up with ourselves. Whereas with other groups I never hear a single original chant coming from them. In fact, every time we come up with something new that we like we're just waiting til we hear it somewhere else.

Come on, man, have you heard the stuff the Fire supporters have brought to the league? Really original stuff like:

Fire, Fire, Fire (FIRE FIRE)
Fire Fire Fire, Fire Fire Fire
Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire
Fi-yah Fi-yah

And that's just four of what feels like a limitless number of songs that only use the word Fire!

Osorio

Come on, man, have you heard the stuff the Fire supporters have brought to the league? Really original stuff like:

Fire, Fire, Fire (FIRE FIRE)
Fire Fire Fire, Fire Fire Fire
Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire Fire
Fi-yah Fi-yah

And that's just four of what feels like a limitless number of songs that only use the word Fire!

We make fun of Fire fans all the time.

They also have stuff like:

clap clap clapclapclap FIRE!

and....

I can't think of anything else.

xbhaskarx

Whose idea was it to have a game on NBC Sports Network when NFL starts?

Ratings are gonna be like 10k

Which network has Monday Night Football these days?
Maybe it's counterprogramming, like when Fox put Premier League games on at the same time other networks were showing NFL games last season...

gutshot

Which network has Monday Night Football these days?
Maybe it's counterprogramming, like when Fox put Premier League games on at the same time other networks were showing NFL games last season...

ESPN has MNF. But last night's game was on NBC, so I don't think they were trying to poach viewers from their parent network.

ETA: The NFL game was moved up to Wed. night so as not to conflict with Obama's DNC speech tonight. I don't know when that decision was made, but it may have been after the MLS had already scheduled this game.

Subitai

If it gets enough interest I'm sure Atlanta will be a nominee for expansion.
It will be tough to get ahead of NYC2 and Orlando. Also, I think San Antonio would be in front of them as well. So after those teams, maybe if Atlanta is drawing enough fans to its games regularly they'd get a look from the league.

Top Bottom