• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Osorio

It will be tough to get ahead of NYC2 and Orlando. Also, I think San Antonio would be in front of them as well. So after those teams, maybe if Atlanta is drawing enough fans to its games regularly they'd get a look from the league.

I don't disagree with that at all. However, if both Orlando and NY2 are up for consideration, I feel like MLS would want to be a 24 team league. Something about 22 teams seems odd.

So you have:

Orlando
NY2
San Antonio

then whatever is up for grabs possibly St. Louis, Atlanta, San Diego, Detroit (that Silverdome project), Minnesota

I don't disagree with that at all. However, if both Orlando and NY2 are up for consideration, I feel like MLS would want to be a 24 team league. Something about 22 teams seems odd.

So you have:

Orlando
NY2
San Antonio

then whatever is up for grabs possibly St. Louis, Atlanta, San Diego, Detroit (that Silverdome project), Minnesota

pretty sure The Don has gone on record said the league didn't have plans to go further than the next expansion team. I'm sure money could sway his decision though.

I think they learned from their mistakes and aren't going to expand just for the sake of expanding anymore. Potential expansion clubs will probably have to be serious markets or have good reason (team in the South East) for anything to actually happen.

San Antonio may have a good thing going for them, but I don't think the league needs a 3rd Texas team at this point, even if they do have a stadium and good support. I think they would probably like to have a team in the Southeast and Orlando makes a lot of sense, but there's still some risk involved there as well.

I think it's inevitable that you will see the Cosmos as the next club and then they will take a break from expanding for a few years and evaluate things.

Osorio

We've already gone back to a more conference based schedule. If the proper ownership is in place I have no doubt they'd expand to 24 teams. Especially since I see NBC driving up TV ratings in the next few years and the more markets they have the bigger the TV deal they'll get.

xbhaskarx

I'm pretty sure the only thing limiting MLS expansion is ownership groups and soccer stadiums. Which is as it should be. The footprint of MLS is still relatively tiny, with only 16 US teams, two in the same stadium, and others that are in relatively small markets like Portland and Salt Lake (and Foxboro). Compare that to the other sports leagues, which have more like 30 to 32 (in the case of NFL) US teams...

pretty sure The Don has gone on record said the league didn't have plans to go further than the next expansion team. I'm sure money could sway his decision though.

I think they learned from their mistakes and aren't going to expand just for the sake of expanding anymore. Potential expansion clubs will probably have to be serious markets or have good reason (team in the South East) for anything to actually happen.

San Antonio may have a good thing going for them, but I don't think the league needs a 3rd Texas team at this point, even if they do have a stadium and good support. I think they would probably like to have a team in the Southeast and Orlando makes a lot of sense, but there's still some risk involved there as well.

I think it's inevitable that you will see the Cosmos as the next club and then they will take a break from expanding for a few years and evaluate things.

We shouldn't expand for the sake of expansion, but I think fear of overexpansion shouldn't prevent clubs from opening in places that support them. Maybe San Antonio doesn't advance the strategic initiatives of the league, but if they keep up their lower division support they'll be a slam-dunk 20k/game attendance franchise. Why not add that?

Askani

Huge penalty call and an even bigger penalty save. Rimando is so good.

EDIT :::::

Then Hall makes a great save on the other end. Keepers putting in the work.

xbhaskarx

All 19 @MLS clubs are mathematically alive in the playoff race, but one could clinch on Saturday: @SJEarthquakes - if SEA def CHV.

Wtf how can no teams have clinched or been eliminated yet, there are only a handful of games left...

Hieberrr

Man, I really want to go to the TFC-Impact match in October, but I can't justify spending 100 for a pair :( it is also the day I am supposed to celebrate 3 years together with my gf, so I guess I'll have to skip out on the match.

xbhaskarx

For those who think MLS expansion will slow down or even stop at 20:

http://www.scoringthird.com/2012/08/orlando-city-stadium-deal.html
It's no secret that Orlando City is trying to become the next expansion franchise in Major League Soccer. But what might be a surprise is just how close the team might be to announcing plans for a new soccer-specific stadium in Orlando.
While recent reports out of New York City have Mayor Bloomberg and MLS commissioner Don Garber "very close" to completing a deal to build a new $300M stadium in Flushing Meadows, Orlando City's front office has been quietly working with MLS, Orlando's Mayor, Orange County's Mayor, and private financers to finalize a plan of their own.

Sunday evening, the Orlando City staff were in Houston to visit BBVA Compass Stadium and meet with Dynamo officials to discuss their team structure and stadium plan. The team posted pictures of their trip on Facebook and Twitter throughout the evening causing supporter groups to go nuts over the possibilities. I realized something was up when my mailbox start filling with emails with various names like "Orlando Stadium" and "MLS Stadium", so I sat down and started working my sources to get you the latest information, some of which even surprised me.

First, the trip to Houston was planned well in advance and involved most of the top officials from both Orlando and Houston's front offices. As we've mentioned countless times before, the Dynamo's new stadium was built at a total cost of $95M and is considered the ideal model for a new stadium in Orlando. However the Houston trip was just the start. I confirmed with Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer's office that he will be accompanying team officials to Kansas City from August 26th-28th to meet with Sporting KC officials as well as MLS executives. While the Mayor's nor Orlando City's offices would confirm the specifics of the meeting, my understanding is that it will be a sit down presentation with MLS to go over stadium specifics in Orlando.

Next, it is my understanding that MLS has had regular monthly teleconferences with Orlando City's front office regarding the stadium issue. This is not unique to Orlando, several other teams including interested parties in New York City, Minnesota, and Las Vegas have been given the same luxury. The unique aspect is that these meetings have become more regular and involving higher level staff with MLS, up to and including MLS president Mark Abbott. While I couldn't confirm that Abbott would be in Kansas City during the team's trip at the end of the month, the assumption (and it's just that) is he will be there as-is typical for presentations of this nature.

Continuing on, it is my understanding that discussions on a specific stadium location in Orlando are in the final stages with it being a difference between two potential sites, but in different areas. If you remember back to our last article with Orlando City president Phil Rawlins he mentioned how he had been in regular discussions with Orlando's Mayor Dyer as well as Orange County's Mayor Teresa Jacobs. Word is both Mayors are pushing for sites most advantageous to their respective focus areas; Dyer is pushing for downtown while Jacobs is pushing for the convention center area.

Lastly, the information I could gather is pointing towards the team likely making a public announcement on the stadium plan in the October/November time frame. While working out the site location and financing are very big pieces to the schedule that cannot be ignored, Rawlins has told us previously that his goal is to gain membership in MLS for the start of the 2014 season. With a building schedule of 16-18 months similar to that of Houston's new stadium, if a shovel went in the ground this winter the stadium would be ready sometime early into the 2014 season. Although 2015 is probably more realistic, the goal of getting the stadium plan on the table for MLS to digest is important and will likely happen soon.

http://www.scoringthird.com/2012/09/kansas-city-trip.html
Last month we posted an update on Orlando City Soccer Club's plans for a new soccer stadium and how Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer has been playing a vital role in that process.

Part of the article mentioned a trip for team officials and the Mayor to Kansas City on August 27th to tour Livestrong Sporting Park and to meet with Sporting KC and MLS staff members to discuss Orlando's stadium plans.

Due to hurricane Isaac Mayor Dyer had to cancel the trip last minute, however a new date for the trip has been set for next Friday September 14th. The trip will coincide with Sporting KC's home match against the Houston Dynamo that evening, a game that will be shown nationally on NBS Sports Network.

Although no one with the club or Mayor's office would confirm any additional details beyond touring Livestrong Sporting Park it is our understanding that the group may also be meeting with the stadium design group Populous who is also based in Kansas City is designed both Houston and Sporting KC's new stadiums. Team officials were in Houston on August 19th to tour BBVA Compass Stadium which is considered by many to be the cost-effective model for soccer specific stadiums in the future with it's total cost of around $95M. On the flip-side, the trip to Kansas City next week will show what $200M can buy for a new stadium with Livestrong Sporting Park. It is our understanding that the team is leaning towards a design very similar to Houston's but with some additional design elements from Kansas City. The seating capacity would be more in-line with Kansas City's at around 18,500 seats instead of Houston's 22,000 seat stadium.

In addition to the trip, the team's economic impact study should be made public in the next two weeks and that should provide some additional details on the stadium plans.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Southeast needs a team and Orlando doesn't count.

something like Atlanta/Nashville/Raleigh would make me very happy

Pre

Yeah, I want a southeastern team, as well. I'm in the northeast corner of Arkansas (about an hour away from Memphis) and I'd love for Nashville or Atlanta to get a team. I'd feel a regional loyalty to them. Right now I don't really have a dedicated team.

Osorio

Yeah, I want a southeastern team, as well. I'm in the northeast corner of Arkansas (about an hour away from Memphis) and I'd love for Nashville or Atlanta to get a team. I'd feel a regional loyalty to them. Right now I don't really have a dedicated team.

They should just make a team for the region called Dixieland FC

Aww... a good friend of mine who is a professional photographer in KC and does work for SKC snapped this amazing picture during the Red Bulls@SKC game:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/philpeterson/7875182912/

Problem? Another photographer who works for Getty Images was standing right next to him and their shutters snapped at exactly the same moment! My friend's picture currently has about 40 views on Flickr, while the other guy's identical shot is a two page spread in Sports Illustrated!

http://www.sportingkc.com/blog/post/2012/09/05/sporting-kc-sports-illustrated

Hey, I guess he's on the right track, though.

xbhaskarx

The top-selling jerseys in MLS

Top selling adidas MLS player jerseys on MLSgear.com / MLSgearCanada.ca / MLS club websites (March 10 – September 10, 2012)
1. David Beckham LA Galaxy
2. Thierry Henry New York Red Bulls
3. Landon Donovan LA Galaxy
4. Fredy Montero Seattle Sounders FC
5. Dwayne De Rosario D.C. United
6. Chris Wondolowski San Jose Earthquakes
7. Tim Cahill New York Red Bulls
8. Robbie Keane LA Galaxy
9. Mauro Rosales Seattle Sounders FC
10. Brian Ching Houston Dynamo
11. Darlington Nagbe Portland Timbers
12. Chris Pontius D.C. United
13. Osvaldo Alonso Seattle Sounders FC
14. Young-Pyo Lee Vancouver Whitecaps FC
15. Kris Boyd Portland Timbers
16. Barry Robson Vancouver Whitecaps FC
17. Eddie Gaven Columbus Crew
18. Brad Davis Houston Dynamo
19. Roger Torres Philadelphia Union
20. Freddy Adu Philadelphia Union
21. Kei Kamara Sporting Kansas City
22. Kyle Beckerman Real Salt Lake
23. Mike Magee LA Galaxy
24. Saer Sene New England Revolution
25. Arne Friedrich Chicago Fire

Osorio

Dax McCarty should be in that list. Red Bulls fans are lame.

And YES to Alonso being in the top 20

cuban-flag.jpg

Osorio

Dax? I'd want a Lindpere jersey if any from NY.

Maybe last year but he's been slacking this year. Dax on the other hand not only hustles offensively and defensively, dictates the tempo of the game, but he's also a funny personality. I figured that's why his would be up there.

I was thinking of getting a Connor Lade jersey as all my Metrostars/Red Bulls jerseys are of Jersey boys. Tab Ramos, Michael Bradley, and Altidore

Socreges

Banned
Did I see that right..... Panamá fans were partying outside Canada's hotel all night to fuck them up before the qualifier? Wow that's low

Osorio

What's the story there?

I've heard about fans being hostile during the games, even trying to intimidate the refs, but I didn't know they did shit like this.

It's quite common actually. I've heard that when Real Madrid travels around Spain people of the hosting towns try to get them really drunk the night before the match.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I'm pretty sure the only thing limiting MLS expansion is ownership groups and soccer stadiums. Which is as it should be. The footprint of MLS is still relatively tiny, with only 16 US teams, two in the same stadium, and others that are in relatively small markets like Portland and Salt Lake (and Foxboro). Compare that to the other sports leagues, which have more like 30 to 32 (in the case of NFL) US teams...

Arthur Blank I think has said he wants an mls team in atlanta. He owns home depot and the falcons and there's a good chance the falcons are getting a retractable roof stadium here in the next few years but it'll be a long time before I get mls here :(

Socreges

Banned
It's quite common actually. I've heard that when Real Madrid travels around Spain people of the hosting towns try to get them really drunk the night before the match.
Well, yeah. But that's a bit different. There were hundreds of Panama fans outside until 4am. They even used fireworks.

Canadian goalkeeping coach, Pat Dolan, a member of Canada’s only World Cup squad in 1986 and someone who has been through the process many times before, summed up the Panamanian support outside Canada’s hotel Tuesday morning with a tweet.

“I have never seen anything this loud, disruptive and orchestrated in my 28 years in CONCACAF,” he wrote.

Osorio

Well, yeah. But that's a bit different. There were hundreds of Panama fans outside until 4am. They even used fireworks.

Something like that happened this week. Can't remember where it was on some TV segment on a stream I was watching during the USA-Jamaica game. Seriously, it's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong though it's classless.

gutshot

Something like that happened this week. Can't remember where it was on some TV segment on a stream I was watching during the USA-Jamaica game. Seriously, it's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong though it's classless.

Yup, the "partying outside the hotel" move is pretty standard. The players usually get harassed on the bus to the stadium as well, and then warming up on the pitch before the game they get urine bags, batteries and other objects tossed at them. Good times!

Real Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis admits he doesn't remember much about his only game at Estadio Ricardo Saprissa, except for what transpired away from the action. The US National Team bus pulled up to the stadium known as the Purple Monster in San Jose, Costa Rica for a World Cup qualifying match against the Ticos on July 23rd, 2000.

"There was a ton of fans already," he said. "They and they started to throw rocks at the bus. We had to stop the bus and wait for the police to get there and drive them completely out to get to our locker room."

Within the supposed safety of locker room, the team had to contend with the fans in yet another intimidating way.

"The fans, probably in the rowdiest fan section, sits over your locker room," he said. "They jump up and down and they make you feel like the ceiling is going to come down."
Then it was into the 24,000-seat stadium, also known as the Cave, Cauldron or Pit. The stands are up against the field.

"It was the game where there was the infamous throwing of bags of urine and batteries and stuff like that. I remember warming up to go into that match and getting things thrown at us. It made warming up interesting," Kreis said with a laugh. "You were more nervous about getting hit with something than you were going into what was an extremely important game."

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, I know about the other stuff. I was just talking about hundreds of orchestrated fans partying outside a hotel until the sun comes up. I've since read about it happening against the US/Mexico in certain qualifiers, but no this isn't "standard".

xbhaskarx

Congrats to Canada on getting the US/Mexico treatment in Central America, that is probably a good sign regarding the direction of their program.

Askani

We end up with a last minute draw out of this...incredible.

Code:
Sporting Kansas City	 	        Houston Dynamo
[B]28[/B]	          [B]Attempts on Goal[/B]	6
[B]9[/B]	          [B]Shots on Target[/B]	3
16	          Shots off Target	3
3	          Blocked Shots	        0
[B]11[/B]	          [B]Corner Kicks[/B]	        2
11	          Fouls	                8
19	          Open Play Crosses	7
1	          Offside	        1
0	          First Yellow Cards	1
0	          Second Yellow Cards	0
0	          Red Cards	        0
51	          Duels Won	        51
50%	          Duels Won %	        51%
419	          Total Pass	        286
[B]81%[/B]	          [B]Passing Accuracy %[/B]	72%
[B]58.9%[/B]	          [B]Possession[/B]	        41.1%

been a pattern with this team. Worrisome for the playoffs if the team doesn't step up their finishing.

Someone has to step up and be a rockstar. Zusi is really good. Sapong is getting really good. Kamara is good. Bunbury is good. Nagamura is good. Need somebody to be a bigtime finisher.

Nesotenso

We end up with a last minute draw out of this...incredible.

Code:
Sporting Kansas City	 	        Houston Dynamo
[B]28[/B]	          [B]Attempts on Goal[/B]	6
[B]9[/B]	          [B]Shots on Target[/B]	3
16	          Shots off Target	3
3	          Blocked Shots	        0
[B]11[/B]	          [B]Corner Kicks[/B]	        2
11	          Fouls	                8
19	          Open Play Crosses	7
1	          Offside	        1
0	          First Yellow Cards	1
0	          Second Yellow Cards	0
0	          Red Cards	        0
51	          Duels Won	        51
50%	          Duels Won %	        51%
419	          Total Pass	        286
[B]81%[/B]	          [B]Passing Accuracy %[/B]	72%
[B]58.9%[/B]	          [B]Possession[/B]	        41.1%

Someone has to step up and be a rockstar. Zusi is really good. Sapong is getting really good. Kamara is good. Bunbury is good. Nagamura is good. Need somebody to be a bigtime finisher.

Well Bunbury is out. Hopefully scoring after a long time raises Sapong's confidence. He is big and strong, wins balls in the air but his touches in the box have been disappointing.

Anyway catching up with SJ is not gonna happen. Need to clinch the top seed in the East and keep home advantage.

Top Bottom