• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Osorio

I can't front, Marquez played his best game since the game at Toronto in 2010. That pass that lead to Henry's first goal was total class.

Socreges

Banned
Fucking Caps

GF got us tix for a "game of my choosing" (bday) and I told her we'd wait for the playoffs.... but I don't want to wait until 2015 so maybe we'll catch the Caps/Sounders game instead.

Osorio

That field is so ridiculous. Poor MLS.

That was 2008, seemingly a different era. Houston got quite the upgrade

300px-BBVA_Compass_Stadium%2C_Skyline_View.JPG

xbhaskarx

There is no danger of the Galaxy folding. But Phil Anschutz has put more money into MLS than anyone else. At one point he owned 6 of the 10 teams. If it wasn't for him, MLS would have folded long ago. The league will probably be fine, as will the Galaxy (if the new owner of AEG is willing to pay three big DP salaries), but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if Anschutz still owned at least one MLS team (he's down to 1.5 now and the Dynamo will be sold to the owner of the Houston Rockets this offseason).

xbhaskarx

I know he propped the league up brah but why do you think this could be a disaster?

It's like the old NASL, plenty of ownership groups were willing to join up when things were going well, but when Steve Ross (the Warner Brothers / Cosmos guy) died and the league was in trouble, they couldn't jump ship fast enough. Owners like this Houston Rockets guy may be fine when things are going well, but how much do they really care about the future of North American soccer? Would they be willing to sink money on a league that was losing money, contracting teams, and looked headed for failure? Now MLS will probably never be in that situation again, but when it was Anschutz and Hunt were the guys willing to keep writing the checks instead of bailing out.

There was a time when MLS was down to three owners propping up 10 teams, Phil Anschutz with 6 of 10 and Lamar Hunt 3 of the other 4. When other owners were getting out, he was willing to buy their money-losing teams, so the MLS didn't have to fold teams. And he did so at far above market value so the original investors wouldn't take a bath on their investment in soccer.

Askani

Glad to see we finally put a team on their heels early with two goals. We were a little sloppy in the midfield tonight and our passes weren't as crisp as they normally are. Also seemed like our front guys had trouble communicating with each other.

We really needed these points with the East so knotted. Onward and upward.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Out of the playoffs for now. I see this year ending as a disaster for DC. Ben doesn't give playing time to two of our most creative players.

I know my team us awful attendance but I'm wondering why the Red Bulls had such a crappy attendance yesterday. Didn't they fire their ticketing/marketing head in August?

Damn it why didn't the league just buy the Cosmos name years ago
These brahs just need to rebrand Chvias to the Inland emperors. I've said it all along and they will make money. City FCC is a pathetic name for a club in NyC. Get that Eursnob bullshitout of here Garber. Cosmos will resurrect NASL make him humble. Houston 1836 never die.

And it's not like the Galaxy owners have to spend cash on salary. They are minuscule to even the salary floor of the NHL and with Garber in charge they will continue to move up the cap slowly. And this isn't like if Traffic were to pull out of the NASL and kill the league. MLS will survive just fine. Hopefully now they will stop making rules to sit the Galaxy.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Henry headbutted somebody? I'm not surprised. His suspension is a joke anyways. 1 game he was going to miss anyways due to it being on turf.

Askani

Henry headbutted somebody? I'm not surprised. His suspension is a joke anyways. 1 game he was going to miss anyways due to it being on turf.

He came in to the box on a half-assed run and knocked noggins with Kamara. We watched it a couple times and still don't know what he was doing. It was pretty obvious.

He was trying to draw a penalty kick. Every time I see him play I dislike him more.

Top Bottom