• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

What does that even mean? Big players come because of the attraction of New York and the money of the Red Bulls organization, not because Eric Soler convinced them to come. But he picks which big names to sign, and just the money he wasted on Rafa Marquez should be justification enough to replace him.

:ladSFLKjsdf:kjad'fkjad'lfkjasdlfkjaw;lkne;lfknaw'ofnea'wfn
weapfn

xbhaskarx

I'm not saying its not weird timing. It's definitely weird timing. You would think his fate would be decided in the offseason, not in the middle of a tight playoff race.

Osorio

"Houllier has plans to speak with potential candidates to replace Backe coach once his contract expires, including a well-known international coach who has worked previously in England’s Premier League, according to a person with knowledge of the situation."

I guess Austria is really unhappy.

Osorio

I never liked Red Bull, but at least they seemed different from the owners we had as the Metrostars. Now, I realize it's the same old shit.

Garden State FC please.

Osorio

That is a terrible thing to do. Backe has turned into a decent MLS coach.

Not really. It takes him like 3 games to notice what everyone else notices in 1. I'm just upset that they're bringing this out there right before the playoffs. I mean give the man false hope!

Osorio

Hasn't he at least started to use substitutes?

Yeah, but not well.

For instance, in the game against New England where Connor Lade got a red card it was obvious the little guy was having trouble. He was being constantly beat and having to do some desperate defending. He got a yellow for constant infringement in the 54th and when Benny Feilhaber came in the dude was going straight after Lade. With Barklage on the bench, he could've avoided the impending red card. Instead Lade gets sent off and puts Barklage in AFTER we went down a man.

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE DOING THIS RIGHT NOW? Fuck off, Austria.

Dont feel bad, our coach, the Union, drove our team into the ground, got fired, and now is in the middle of a law suit with the Union lol.

I know most people outside of Union fans dont know the whole issue with peters termination/lawsuit but its been crazy to watch, dude was a meglomaniac/thief.

First he sued..

PHILADELPHIA -- The fired coach of the Philadelphia Union has sued the soccer club's owners over his $373,000 annual contract.

Peter Nowak alleges his firing violates a contract guarantee through 2015.

Then the court papers come out, exposing what exactly happened...

This is an excerpt of that letter detailing the alleged reasons for Nowak's dismissal:

1. various material breaches of League Rules (including the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement), including physical confrontations with players and officials during a Team game resulting in a fine and multi-game suspension, interfering with the rights of Team players to contact the players' union with concerns, subjecting Team players to inappropriate hazing activities and engaging in behavior that put the health and safety of Team players at risk.

2. material breaches of the Employment Agreement, including engaging in discussions regarding, and otherwise actively seeking, employment by other professional soccer teams in Europe and making disparaging remarks to third parties regarding Club, its management and its ownership.

3. demonstrating gross negligence, including putting the health and safety of Team players at risk by requiring injured players to participate in strenuous training activities, not allowing players to have water during such activities despite temperatures in excess of 80 degrees, ignoring the advice of the head athletic trainer regarding which players are healthy enough to play in games and participate in training sessions and creating an atmosphere where medical issues should be hid from medical staff and not treated.

4. committing actions that have reflected in a materially adverse manner on the integrity, reputation and goodwill of Club and the Team (in the eyes of the League, U.S. Soccer, current and potential Team players, sponsors and fans), including the unusually harsh treatment of players described above, actions during Team games that have resulted in fines and suspensions, the multiple breaches of League Rules and a discussion (by you or your agent on your behalf) with the head of U.S. Soccer that was in very poor taste and left a very bad impression with U.S. Soccer.

5. multiple incidents of insubordination with respect to the Club's Chief Executive Officer, including claiming at one point (in direct contradiction to the terms of the Employment Agreement) that he does not report to the Club's Chief Executive Officer.

6. various material breaches of Team Rules, including creating a hostile work environment and culture of fear for Team players and other front office employees by orally berating and physically intimidating fellow employees.

And now, the shit is hitting the fan!

According to documents recently filed as part of Peter Nowak's lawsuit against the Philadelphia Union, Peter Nowak "may have improperly profited from player transactions" involving "contracts for players in South America" while manager of the team.

That allegation came to light as part of a series of motions filed by both sides' attorneys in the case, which is being adjudicated in U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The main question in the case right now is whether Nowak's complaint should be settled by an arbitrator or a federal judge.

Orozco Fiscal was one of the Union's first major non-Expansion Draft signings. He was brought in on a one-year loan from San Luis in January of 2010, right around the time of the NSCAA Convention and MLS SuperDraft that took place here in Philadelphia. Orozco Fiscal had played for Nowak on the 2008 United States Olympic men's soccer team.

The Mexican-American central defender was paid $200,000 in guaranteed compensation during his one year in Philadelphia.

As Schaerlaeckens writes (with my own emphasis added):

Nowak told him the Union would pick up the option to purchase him from San Luis outright, claims Orozco. Orozco also claims the contract he agreed to with Nowak would pay him his full San Luis salary plus a scheduled raise.

Orozco put down a deposit for a new rental home in Philadelphia and bought furniture. But by the pre-season of the 2011 season, no contract had materialized, and Orozco says he wasn’t paid by either club in the interim, nor was he compensated for his living expenses, as purportedly agreed.

When Orozco confronted Nowak, Orozco believes Nowak offered less than what he claims a pre-contract called for. "I was making $200k and I was supposed to get a raise, but he wanted to give me only $120k," Orozco says.

He claims Nowak suggested they keep the $500,000 transfer fee that was due to San Luis and split it amongst themselves. He refused. "I wanted to do things right," Orozco says. But when he wouldn’t play ball, he claims, Nowak badmouthed him to the club and sent him back to San Luis two weeks before the start of the season.

The team was in pre-season training camp in Greece but Nowak literally booked him onto the first plane home, without giving him the chance to say goodbye to teammates. "They said I was being difficult and Peter turned everybody against me," says Orozco. "He said he wasn’t going to let one guy damage the team."

Makes you wonder...Why did we have Juan Diego sit the bench with a 250k salary last year? Why did we pick up 4 South Americans this year, have one sit all season, one only play once Nowak left, one shipped off to DC, and one (the best out of the 4) have sub-par minutes?
What kind of bullshit did Nowak and Guiteriez (he got the boot with Nowak) have going on with South American clubs that might have put money in thier pockets somehow? Rumor has it Diegos brother is an agent, so Nowak and Diego were getting cuts from getting his brother clients then having them sign with the Union.

xbhaskarx

@News8NewsTalk
Jack Evans: We're in "final negotiations" with DCU on a new stadium. Team will pay for stadium; DC funds infrastructure.

xbhaskarx

Kraft is also considering the 34-acre Wonderland Greyhound Park. A source told the Boston Business Journal that Somerville and Revere are the leading contenders for the soccer stadium. Kraft hopes to make a decision within the next few months, the source added.

I usd to live in MA but I'm not familiar with Assembly Square in Somerville or Revere.
I wonder which site the fans prefer?

Hieberrr

Apparently TFC fans are boycotting (or making their displeasure heard) at tomorrow's match against DCU. I'm gonna tune in for a few minutes just to see if they actually go through with it.

I love Saturdays! Bayern in the morning, NYRB v Chicago later on, and then Houston v Montreal at night :D

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Apparently TFC fans are boycotting (or making their displeasure heard) at tomorrow's match against DCU. I'm gonna tune in for a few minutes just to see if they actually go through with it.

I love Saturdays! Bayern in the morning, NYRB v Chicago later on, and then Houston v Montreal at night :D

Arsenal now, NYRB later.

cPIWd.gif

Hieberrr

MLS matches never start in time do they. When they say 3:30, they mean the show starts at 3:30. Kick off doesn't start until, what, 15-20 minutes later?

Hieberrr

It's almost as if the team was distracted by something. I wonder what?
I wouldn't say that it was the main reason though. Movement off the ball was pretty piss poor. That and Chicago pretty much controlled the midfield IMO.

Second goal was also offside.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
There's been plenty of games to watch today. I watched the Chelsea game and Everton at the same time. I watched DC United play and the Chicago/NY game. Now it is time for RSL and LA.

There's been plenty of games to watch today. I watched the Chelsea game and Everton at the same time. I watched DC United play and the Chicago/NY game. Now it is time for RSL and LA.

It has been a great weekend and Portland v. Seattle tomorrow night should be fantastic.

What's the best way to watch EPL games in the US? Is there satellite packages you can buy or do people use streams. I'm trying to follow Everton this year (along with the Sounders, Fire and USMNT) and it is very frustrating.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It has been a great weekend and Portland v. Seattle tomorrow night should be fantastic.

What's the best way to watch EPL games in the US? Is there satellite packages you can buy or do people use streams. I'm trying to follow Everton this year (along with the Sounders, Fire and USMNT) and it is very frustrating.

The Seattle game should be a great game to watch tomorrow night.

ESPN normally does the 730am EST game for EPL on Saturdays. Fox Soccer will have two on Saturdays and normally on Sunday as well. If you pay for the extra channels Fox Soccer Plus has a few more matches per weekend. Everton isn't on TV much so I do have to use streams often.

Nesotenso

Well that was shit. Espinoza out on a stretcher and giving up a late goal. Have to get positive result on the road against NY and PHI to keep the number one seed.

Top Bottom