• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

elsk

Banned
What, I didn't know elsk watched MLS.

I don't, but only because ESPN only broadcast like 1 MLS match per month around here. Kind of stupid since they even broadcast a couple of MLB and NHL matches... who the fuck watch that.

But I do follow the results because of the amount of honduran players in MLS. Mario Martínez (Seattle Sounders), Boniek García (Houston Dynamo), Bernardez and Marvin Chávez (SJ Earthquakes), Bengtson (Revolution), Roger Espinoza (Sporting KC), etc.

Hieberrr

I don't, but only because ESPN only broadcast like 1 MLS match per month around here. Kind of stupid since they even broadcast a couple of MLB and NHL matches... who the fuck watch that.

But I do follow the results because of the amount of honduran players in MLS. Mario Martínez (Seattle Sounders), Boniek García (Houston Dynamo), Bernardez and Marvin Chávez (SJ Earthquakes), Bengtson (Revolution), Roger Espinoza (Sporting KC), etc.

I get the MLB (although it's more boring than golf to me), but NHL?! I thought hockey was a North American/Scandinavian/Russian thing. Weird.

I remember watching Marvin Chavez last year when he was with Dallas and being amazed at how he was outrunning almost everyone on the pitch. He has some serious speed to him.

LET'S GO TIMBERS! I hate Seattle with passion. Their kits make me want to cry and their fans make me hate everything about the team.

elsk

Banned
I get the MLB (although it's more boring than golf to me), but NHL?! I thought hockey was a North American/Scandinavian/Russian thing. Weird.

I remember watching Marvin Chavez last year when he was with Dallas and being amazed at how he was outrunning almost everyone on the pitch. He has some serious speed to him.

Sorry, I was referring to NFL. But they even broadcast a couple of NHL matches(?) every now and then when football is off.

Yes, he's fast, his nickname here is "hijo del viento" (son of the wind).

Oh crap i forgot that he has WCQs as well. Sucks if he is out. Dude needs international matches to get a UK work permit if Wigan are interested in him.

We get eliminated if we don't win those two matches, we seriously need him. He's our only good CM/DM right now :(

xbhaskarx

ECS tifo:
2012-October-7-21-11-26.jpg

xbhaskarx

"Attendance tonight: 66,452. That’s the seventh largest crowd in MLS history and the second largest not including international doubleheaders"

Osorio

We just never manage to win the big games.

Our fortress is crumbling.

Management is retarded.

It's just like watching Metro. So why not give us the name back?

Meier

Orlando City are presenting their findings today about a new stadium. Sounds like they'd aim for 20,000 people at a cost of around $100m. They are very interested in emulating Livestrong Park and visited it (and a few other MLS stadiums in the past number of months) with the mayor and other politicians from the city. I hope it pans out! I would definitely follow the team and league immediately if I felt any connection to it.

Edit: Here is a report about it: http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...cles/bhsn/2012/10/8/orlando_city_s_c_rel.html

Subitai

Orlando City are presenting their findings today about a new stadium. Sounds like they'd aim for 20,000 people at a cost of around $100m. They are very interested in emulating Livestrong Park and visited it (and a few other MLS stadiums in the past number of months) with the mayor and other politicians from the city. I hope it pans out! I would definitely follow the team and league immediately if I felt any connection to it.

Edit: Here is a report about it: http://www.cfnews13.com/content/new...cles/bhsn/2012/10/8/orlando_city_s_c_rel.html
Why do you have to wait till the team is a part of the MLS? :p Go and help get support for Orlando City S.C. now. Get the word out! And help get it a better mascot/name that goes with the area more.

Why do you have to wait till the team is a part of the MLS? :p Go and help get support for Orlando City S.C. now. Get the word out! And help get it a better mascot/name that goes with the area more.

I actually ordered an Orlando City jersey last year when the Union were playing them in pre-season. I heard about them, thier push to make it in the MLS, and thier over-all good brand of footy so I figured I'd give them some support all the way up here in New Jersey.

Subitai

I actually ordered an Orlando City jersey last year when the Union were playing them in pre-season. I heard about them, thier push to make it in the MLS, and thier over-all good brand of footy so I figured I'd give them some support all the way up here in New Jersey.
Oh wow. Not even from the area!

xbhaskarx

Both Orlando City and San Antonio Scorpions definitely need to change their logos before they can move up to MLS.

Of lower division teams only the Strikers, Stars, and Cosmos have logos that look professional.

Both Orlando City and San Antonio Scorpions definitely need to change their logos before they can move up to MLS.

Of lower division teams only the Strikers, Stars, and Cosmos have logos that look professional.
Definitely, that's why own kits from the bottom three. Also have some Scorpions gear to support them. FC Edmonton's isn't too bad, just needs a little polish. USL logos are friggin awful. I'd love to buy Austin Aztex stuff, but it is just too plain, lacking clas, color and flair. And don't get started on defunct FCC NY, it wasn't referred to FCC Clipart for nothing.

Osorio

Definitely, that's why own kits from the bottom three. Also have some Scorpions gear to support them. FC Edmonton's isn't too bad, just needs a little polish. USL logos are friggin awful. I'd love to buy Austin Aztex stuff, but it is just too plain, lacking clas, color and flair. And don't get started on defunct FCC NY, it wasn't referred to FCC Clipart for nothing.

I thought it was poor for FC NY to use the Queens flag. I mean NYC has a flag why not use that instead of just Queens?

gutshot

Is MLS Making the Rest of CONCACAF Better at the Expense of the U.S. National Team?

As salaries grow, the quality of play improves, and the infrastructure develops, MLS attracts more talent from Central America and the Caribbean. Roger Espinoza, a 25-year-old who starred for Honduras during the London Olympics, moved to the United States when he was 12, and finds that some of his younger countrymen want to play here. In the past, a young Honduran would dream of playing in Mexico or a league in South America. Not anymore.

"All the players that are in MLS would have been in the Mexican League before, but they know that the U.S. is a great country to live in. The league is getting better so they want to come," the Sporting Kansas City star says. "Hondurans know the infrastructure of MLS. Things are good in the U.S., especially here with the new stadium. A lot of the guys from the Honduran U-23 team wanted to play in the U.S. after they saw the stadium during Olympic qualifying. They saw that the U.S. is putting the money and the work in to improve how the game is played here."

Gutsy draw by the Sounders. A better second half than I expected, Seattle was surprisingly aggresive being down a man, but in the end the result was the same. 0-0 draw despite that terrific last minute chance by RSL.

Askani

Did KC MLS-Gaf see the link about Espinoza going to Wigan at the end of the MLS season?

I did not, but it wouldn't surprise me. This is the last year of his contract and if he can get bigger money on a larger stage, of course he's going to take it. I'm not really happy about it because it will be very hard to replace him, but I can't really fault him for wanting to go if that's what he chooses.

Although, we do have all of our Designated Player slots open...

LandawgDew

Neo Member
Gutsy draw by the Sounders. A better second half than I expected, Seattle was surprisingly aggresive being down a man, but in the end the result was the same. 0-0 draw despite that terrific last minute chance by RSL.

Agreed. Seattle outplayed my boys for stretches of that game, as far as chances go. Possession was dominated by RSL, but Seattle was obviously content to let them pass it around without much attacking. Bad call on the second yellow to Zach Scott imo.

Sounders were probably a bit unlucky not to win that game and get the full three points with some of the great counterattacks they had. Should be a great playoff series assuming both teams finish where they are currently in the standings.

elsk

Banned
One of the Mario Martínez (Seattle Sounders) goals vs. Canada:

ibqCll2Fd9FehK.gif

Bengtson (NE Revolution) was MOTM, scoring 3 and assisting 2.
Boniek García (Houston Dynamo) was also very good.

Osorio

DC is supposed to have their first sellout of the year (19,467) against the Crew this weekend too. Won't stop them from having their worst season attendance-wise of all time but at least they end on a high note.

Subitai

DC is supposed to have their first sellout of the year (19,467) against the Crew this weekend too. Won't stop them from having their worst season attendance-wise of all time but at least they end on a high note.
Hopefully things pick up if they make the playoffs.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I'm a Union fan, love Valdes.

Starting? Hell, he is our team captain! Carlos is THE MAN!

Thanks. He was pretty good for us last month in world cup qualifying. Our old centerbacks are our main weakness atm so just wanted to see how he was doing.

Top Bottom