• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

I actually agree on the the Zusi call, but Nielsen should be on there. He's a beast. I'd put Rimando above Kennedy but in fairness I didn't watch alot of his games, so maybe he's better than I think.

Sounders scored 6 goals on Chivas in one game. Was he not playing that day? Granted, their defense was shit, but still.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Today's game sucked. Boskovic's goal was great.

Nice job Seattle. Now get 3 more. Hopefully Montero can finally be clutch in the playoffs.

Askani

Bleh. What a garbage final. Two teams I absolutely don't like. It's going to be hard to figure out who I dislike more so I can half ass root for the other one.

NoRéN;44508831 said:
Galaxy in the final again!

So good!

ipqQMVBKViuiB.gif

Askani

Too bad abut Julio Cesar being waived. I understand why they did it (I think), but I still hate to see him go. He's pretty solid in the middle and he always has great passes. I'll miss him out there.

xbhaskarx

if you enjoy soft calls and bad linesmen

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-11-18-sea-v-la/highlights/206364
- that guy was swinging his arms around like a madman
- the ball hit BOTH his hands
- he actually reacted to it like "ow that just hit my hand"

It sucks that because of it we were deprived of what could have been a great finish to that game, though...

is that confirmed?

“I’ve had an incredibly special time playing for the LA Galaxy, however, I wanted to experience one last challenge before the end of my playing career,” Beckham said. “I don’t see this as the end of my relationship with the league as my ambition is to be part of the ownership structure in the future.”

Beckham 2012 highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Rk9b5UfAE

Glad Beckham will be gone and glad he will be apart of an expansion franchise. And before anyone suggests his discount is not valid in Ny or La.

But his discount is not valid for NY or LA, is it? That's what everyone has said... do you think he will be a part of NY2 ownership, or maybe even buy LA from Anschutz?
With no team in the southeast, a Beckham owned team in Miami would be my guess.

Osorio

I wonder if the two legged conference finals will come back next season. Those two first legs proved how little of a home field advantage the better team gets.

xbhaskarx

Keep it two legs, next time let the higher seed decide if they want to host the first or second game. That way people can't complain, or rather since complaining is inevitable, they will have to find something else to complain about.
The best team doesn't always win in the playoffs, if they did, having playoffs would be pointless.

Bring back the best of three series for the love of god. American sports figured this out a long time ago. Home-and-away series make a lot of sense if you want to put both teams on even footing, but that's not what you want in the playoffs.

It was also ball-to-hand, unintentional, and a very cynical attempt by Keane to draw an undeserved penalty that unfortunately worked. Franklin had a similar hand ball in the away leg waved off.

I'm surprised no one is talking more about the flagrantly mistaken offsides call early in the game. 2-0 in the 15th minute would have completely changed the complexion of that game.

It sucks that because of it we were deprived of what could have been a great finish to that game, though...

Intentional or not, you just dont swing your arms like that in the box.

Dude was doing windmills, Keane prob took notice of this and capitilized on the stupidity.

But yeah, would have been a better game if that didnt happen.

xbhaskarx

Celtic want to sign Juan Agudelo after impressing Neil Lennon in training

The Telegraphs on ownership groups interested in NY2:

Manchester City’s Abu Dhabi-based owners are understood to be considering extending their influence in football across the Atlantic with a bid for a New York MLS franchise. Telegraph Sport understands that City’s proprietors are among a number of investors considering bidding for the franchise, which will extend the league membership to 20.

Sources with knowledge of the MLS franchise process told Telegraph Sport that City’s owners have examined the potential of a US investment, though they will face competition, both from Middle East rivals and US-based investors.

Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan’s purchase of Manchester City may have begun as a whim, but its potential as a marketing and diplomatic tool quickly became clear to the emirate’s ruling family.

The success of the project is understood to have led to discussion of building City 'franchises’ in other leagues, with the US among the most lucrative and high-profile developing markets in world football.

Qatar are also interested in extending their global reach in football to the US, with the investor behind Paris St-Germain understood to be taking soundings about the MLS.

Nasser Al Khelaifi, who is managing director of Al Jazeera sports and fronts Qatar’s sports investment arm as well as being president of PSG, has held a series of meetings in the US as the tiny Gulf state considers its next move.

The quickest route into the MLS is via a New York franchise, with MLS commissioner Don Garber clear that he wants a second team in the city alongside New York Red Bulls.

The league is in talks with the New York authorities over building a privately-financed stadium at Flushing, in the borough of Queens, a commitment that makes the franchise more attractive to Abu Dhabi and other potential investors.

The owners of New York Cosmos, the glamour franchise made famous by Pele and Franz Beckenbauer in the 1970s, are keen to take an MLS slot eventually, but will play in the second-tier North American Soccer League from next season.

What is Don Garber thinking to be pushing for another team in New York City, that guy is so incompetent....

Osorio

He's from Bayside, Queens which is not too far from where the proposed stadium is. MLS HQ is right in the heart of Manhattan. They know probably more than anybody how poorly Red Bull is doing in the market. Now, they could help them out but Red Bull but Red Bull should first think about helping themselves out. The ticket people have a hard enough time selling tickets to see the Energy Drinks but to make it worse they got almost nothing for an advertising budget. At best there's little ads on the back of NJ Transit buses and that's it. There's no traction for MLS in the city itself and Garber wants to do something about it.

elsk

Banned
It would be great for the MLS to bring someone "peculiar" like Ronaldinho. Now that Beckham is leaving.

edit: btw, looks like Wilmer Crisanto (RB, played in the Olympics for Honduras) is joining Seattle Sounders. "Pery" Martinez (30, attacking mid, Honduras) is close to join Revolution.

And there's a possibility of this guy Aldo Oviedo to join a MLS too. He's like the revelation of the tournament in Honduras. Attacking midfielder, scores a lot and is very technical player. He's 21 years old I think.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Roger Espinoza is heading to Wigan now for a physical to join them on a free transfer in January.

Vermes: Espinoza called to say he was going to Wigan. Thanked the Honduran MF for years of service and left door open for his return.

xbhaskarx

I assume everyone has seen the Donovan story...
http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-landon-donovan-galaxy-20121126,0,7777058.story

If he's trying to leave MLS and head to Europe, good luck to him he has more than earned it. I don't buy the retirement talk though, if he's not at the World Cup (for non-injury reasons), I'll eat my hat.

And a summary of Garber's state of the league speech:
http://www.prostamerika.com/2012/11/26/commissioner-garber-makes-state-of-league-speech/74903

Consistency is theme for 2013. Season will start in March 2. New plans for First Kick. Will seek to avoid games during WC Qualifiers and Gold Cup. 2013 will see the same play-off format but with more rest days between them.

Heretic

I assume everyone has seen the Donovan story...
http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-landon-donovan-galaxy-20121126,0,7777058.story

If he's trying to leave MLS and head to Europe, good luck to him he has more than earned it. I don't buy the retirement talk though, if he's not at the World Cup (for non-injury reasons), I'll eat my hat.

And a summary of Garber's state of the league speech:
http://www.prostamerika.com/2012/11/26/commissioner-garber-makes-state-of-league-speech/74903

Gonna suck to see Donovan goal but I absolutely agree that he's earned it.

xbhaskarx

Mike’s ‘legacy list’ is Priority 1 for projects
When it comes to new development projects, the Bloomberg administration is closed for business.

That’s because the mayor’s people — with an eye toward his legacy — have carefully crafted a special list of high-profile priority projects to fast-track before Bloomberg’s third term ends in 14 months, putting all else on hold, several sources told The Post.

Those projects include the Midtown East rezoning; the Staten Island Ferris wheel; a Major League Soccer stadium in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park; US Tennis Association expansion of the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center; Cornell’s Applied Sciences campus on Roosevelt Island; and developing the vacant Kingsbridge Armory in The Bronx.

One high-ranking city official said all other land-use proposals are getting completely ignored because the administration will not take on anything outside of its priorities. Meanwhile, the lucky projects it selected are getting pushed through a tedious, bureaucratic approval process at lightning speed.

Garber says talks for NYC stadium at 'finish line'
Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber says the league is at "the finish line" in negotiations with New York City to acquire land to build a stadium in Queens that would become home for the league's 20th team.

Garber says MLS hopes to have the team start play in 2016 at a 10-acre site in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park and spark a rivalry with the New York Red Bulls, who play at a 25,189-capacity stadium that opened in 2010 at Harrison, N.J.

"We believe that this second team in New York will help create an opportunity to break through the clutter in this market of almost a dozen professional sports teams," Garber said during a telephone conference call Monday.

Garber said the Red Bulls do not have the right to block a second team in the market. New Red Bulls sporting director Jerome de Bontin told Fox this month that an additional team probably was premature.

"I'm not at all concerned about Jerome's point of view. I think it's just part of being new," he said. "We've had the full support of Red Bulls ownership."

Garber said possibilities for expansion beyond New York include Atlanta, Orlando, Miami and Minneapolis.

Meier

isn't the MLS looking for a big payday with the expansion fee in the range of 100 million ? Would explain why they are pushing NY hard.

That's an insane number. No team will ever have enough money to pay that while the MLS has such a small media footprint. Especially since they have to spend $100m on getting a stadium built.

Nesotenso

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Kevin Payne is leaving for Toronto FC. I hope our new ownership make sure there is more accountability for foreign signings that fail.

Top Bottom