• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Meier

http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2011/9/19/2435544/don-garber-100-million-mls-expansion

The rumor was that rich investment groups from the Gulf are interested in a NY franchise. 2016 will likely see 20 teams. Hopefully New England and D.C get stadium projects going as well.

Well, I suppose it may be the price tag he's placed but I would be surprised if they got that much if/when the second NYC team happens. Their best bet will be if PSG or Man City go ahead and form a club as has been rumored.

Either way, that is a fee that will not fly outside of NY -- not until the MLS is making more from broadcast rights. The biggest European clubs are lucky to make a profit at all.. expecting an MLS team to make back $100m in any reasonable amount of time is ludicrous.

xbhaskarx

Well, I suppose it may be the price tag he's placed but I would be surprised if they got that much if/when the second NYC team happens.

Either way, that is a fee that will not fly outside of NY

Garber has mentioned that $100 million figure many times over the years so I think they're sticking to that number.

And that is for NYC specifically, not for any MLS expansion. I believe Montreal was $40 million.

They are trying every trick in the book to drum up support since the Rowdies failed to deliver on their plans. Just a bullet point in the ongoing feud between usl and nasl.

I mean if the modular stadium is built, they'll start changing my mind. But now smells like absolute bullshit.

xbhaskarx

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/houlliers-hammer/

As Holgersson indicated, players were called into the Red Bulls offices the morning after the club’s ouster to D.C. United. Alphabetically, one at a time, they were summoned into a room in a manner one source described as “a firing squad.” Therein, they met with the trio of the yet to be announced Sporting Director Roxburgh, team technical director Ricardo Campos and Houllier.

Flanked by his freshly minted staff, it was Houllier who would do all the talking – and there wasn’t much talking to speak of. He laid down a simple decree to his subjects: if a player did not appear in either of the team’s two playoff matches against D.C., he matter-of-factly told them “I’ve never seen you play” and thus disqualified them from returning next season.

That immediately eliminated Solli, Keel, Gaudette, Jhonny Arteaga, Jose Angulo, Corey Hertzog, Jeremy Vuolo and Jonathan Borrajo from future consideration. It also put the likes of Wilman Conde and Sebastian Le Toux on notice for the coming season.

Though devastating in its delivery, the declaration came with a caveat. If any of the Red Bull players were recommended to stay aboard, they would be given the opportunity to fight for their job once more during the coming preseason training camp. There, they would be able to make an impression with whomever the new coach of the team will be.

This made me think of Alec Baldwin's monologue in Glengarry...

Zee-Row

Banned

Osorio

Kevin Payne left DC United to take over at Toronto. He's been around since the founding season.

Says it's the only job he'd leave DC for.

Good for Toronto.

xbhaskarx

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/grant_wahl/11/29/don-garber/2.html
SI.com: Do you foresee yourself signing another contract as commissioner?

Garber: I don't think my work is done. But this has been an enormously difficult and taxing job. Mostly personally. I had 125 days on the road last year, which is a lot of days away from the family. But the job has actually gotten more interesting the last year or two. In the early days we were so focused on ensuring our viability, you almost felt like a fireman running from brushfire to brushfire and didn't have an opportunity to really think about a mid-term plan, let alone a long-term plan. Now we've put a number of things in place that gives us the opportunity to take a step back.

I think we have a great organization. The dividing up of Ivan [Gazidis]'s job [as deputy commissioner] into two spots with Todd Durbin running players and Nelson Rodriguez running competition has I think taken the whole sporting side to a much higher level. We've brought in a chief marketing officer who's very experienced, Howard Handler, who has a great vision we'll be launching soon on our rebranding of the league and tapping into the real supporters culture that exists.

We are running full speed ahead at SUM with a private equity partner in Providence who's giving us a whole new level of strategic thinking and opportunity, particularly in the media space. The ownership group continues to expand and the new guys coming in have the same passion that the founders have and in many ways a renewed energy that's very empowering. Our television deals are up in a couple years, our CBA is up in a couple years and it seems like there are a number of exciting things going on.

Osorio

Interesting. One thing setting the league back is definitely perception. While the level of play is subpar compared to lots of leagues across the world so many people don't even give the league a chance based on an opinion they formed when the league was on the brink of financial collapse.

blurrygil

We've brought in a chief marketing officer who's very experienced, Howard Handler, who has a great vision we'll be launching soon on our rebranding of the league and tapping into the real supporters culture that exists.

Who the f**k is he and why do they think he knows ANYTHING about supporters culture...?!?

Osorio

Who the f**k is he and why do they think he knows ANYTHING about supporters culture...?!?

Handler has built and burnished the brands and businesses of some of the most noted companies in the world including The Madison Square Garden Company, the artists of EMI Music, Virgin Mobile, The National Football League, MTV, Saturday Night Live and The Quaker Oats Company.

Handler was senior vice president of marketing and fan development for The National Football League. During his six-year tenure, he led the creation of the league's first imaging campaign, "Feel The Power," developed the NFL's integrated youth initiative, "Play Football," and built up the company's retail division with the introduction of the "NFL Shop."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/executives/handler

I'm guessing they liked those credentials.

alphaNoid

Banned
Any other GAFers going to the MLS Cup tomorrow? I'm headed out around 8am to get setup at my gate and then plan on checking out the beer trucks/games a bit before linking up with LARS and ACB for some tailgating/keg action.

If anyone else is going to be there, I'm down to meet up for a few.

Osorio

But does he know the "you suck asshole" chant?

It's ridiculous that the league has such a problem with that chant. Considering what leagues throughout the world have to deal with in terms of fan behavior I think one chant after goal kicks is the least of the league's worries.

Btw if anyone wants to add me on LIVE to play FIFA my gamertag is Who8MuhRice

Nobody wants to play as MLS teams online it seems.

It's ridiculous that the league has such a problem with that chant. Considering what leagues throughout the world have to deal with in terms of fan behavior I think one chant after goal kicks is the least of the league's worries.

Btw if anyone wants to add me on LIVE to play FIFA my gamertag is Who8MuhRice

Nobody wants to play as MLS teams online it seems.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that supporters keep profanity out of chants that can be heard across the stadium and on TV. We should aim to make the experience of going to a game, though not sitting in a supporter's section, possible for everyone. The best solution is to keep profanity out of stuff that can be heard across the stadium and put disclaimers on tickets sold in the supporter's section and nearby sections. That way you can opt into what kind of fan experience you want.

NoRéN

Finally back. Great experience all around.

Houston played a hell of a game but there was no way Galaxy was going to lose.

Why hasn't Klinnsman called up Gonzalez?

Osorio

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask that supporters keep profanity out of chants that can be heard across the stadium and on TV. We should aim to make the experience of going to a game, though not sitting in a supporter's section, possible for everyone. The best solution is to keep profanity out of stuff that can be heard across the stadium and put disclaimers on tickets sold in the supporter's section and nearby sections. That way you can opt into what kind of fan experience you want.

No thanks. We (as in Empire Supporters Club) have cursed since the founding of the league. I don't care if sponsors of the league have a problem with it, it's a free country. Are we that weak of a nation that we can't handle hearing the word asshole a few times a game? Ridiculous.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
RSL is cleaning house. Espindola and Olave are Red Bulls now and Will Johnson was sent to Portland. Apparently there are a few more trades that haven't been announced yet.

edit: Harrington is going to Portland from KC and Portland is sending Kimura to NYRB.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Didn't get to watch the game yesterday because the Madrid derby was on at the same time.

They should've broadcast that shit tonight in prime time

smh mls

Nesotenso

RSL is cleaning house. Espindola and Olave are Red Bulls now and Will Johnson was sent to Portland. Apparently there are a few more trades that haven't been announced yet.

edit: Harrington is going to Portland from KC and Portland is sending Kimura to NYRB.

not a big loss at all. SKC need a striker.

Top Bottom