• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Major League Soccer |OT| THIS LEAGUE IS RELEVANT!

Ichigo

overall we have a lot more talent than last year, I'm not too worried, although I do think it's gonna be a rough start to the season until our attacking players get comfortable with their roles and assert themselves

hopefully Nowak doesn't make it a habit of continuously drastically changing the lineup every week like he did last year

^ This

I think with the talent we have we can be in the playoff race (most likely in the middle of the pack) for the next 5 years or so, and that has me really excited. However I have low expectations for the beginning of this season. I really hope the U prove me wrong tonight and the mystery pre-season really helped them click.

^ This

I think with the talent we have we can be in the playoff race (most likely in the middle of the pack) for the next 5 years or so, and that has me really excited. However I have low expectations for the beginning of this season. I really hope the U prove me wrong tonight and the mystery pre-season really helped them click.

worse comes to worst we can just brawl with the Timbers and end the game early...

that seemed to be the preseason tactic of choice

My predictions:

West:

Seattle
Real Salt Lake
LA
Dallas
Portland
-----
Vancouver
San Jose
Colorado
Chivas

East:

Sporting KC
Toronto
Chicago
Houston
DC
----
New York
Columbus
Philadelphia
New England
Montreal

Open Cup: Seattle (this one's a crapshoot, but I'd give Seattle, say, a 10% chance instead of the 6% chance the other MLS teams generally have- anything can happen in a one-off knockout competition, but Seattle still has the best depth in the league and can still buy home field advantage for a few of the rounds).
Supporter's Shield: Seattle
CCL: Monterrey defeats Seattle in the finals
MLS Cup: Sporting KC

That's right, NY and Philly are gonna miss the playoffs. LAG's defensive woes will continue without Gonzales. Toronto and Chicago will both ride their superb late-season form to byes this year.

Hieberrr

So far, after every match that I've seen in the opening week, Vancouver looked the best. Every team I've watched thus far has had trouble with keeping possessions and poor passes.

This ESPN presentation/coverage of the Portland-Philly match is amazing. Love it!

very happy with the effort from Philly in the 1st half, Pajoy looks like he will be dangerous, he's playing the holdup game very well. Too cute though from the attack though, Marfan and Adu specifically, we need to test the keeper if we want 3 points.

We've gotten away with some rough play, guess that's our M.O., Califf dragging Perlaza down prob should have been a penalty.

So far, after every match that I've seen in the opening week, Vancouver looked the best. Every team I've watched thus far has had trouble with keeping possessions and poor passes.

This ESPN presentation/coverage of the Portland-Philly match is amazing. Love it!

Maybe this doesn't actually "count," but I think Seattle looked best out of any of the teams in opening week.

RSL a close second.

Ichigo

I'd like to see Adu and Marfan push a little harder too. I'd also like to see Torres come in.

I wonder what's going through Mwanga's head right now...

Ichigo

Maybe this doesn't actually "count," but I think Seattle looked best out of any of the teams in opening week.

RSL a close second.

I think Seattle looked really solid. I'm skeptical to talk about Vancouver with them opening up against Montreal. I will say they poised for the attack.

Hieberrr

RSL a close second.

Not MLS, but I guess it count's :p I didn't catch the game unfortunately, but I heard Seattle was fantastic against Santos.

EDIT: What an unfortunate own-goal for the Timbers.

EDIT2: And as I wrote that, the Timbres reclaim a goal, hahaha/

s7evn

Great header by Boyd. He seems like a great addition to the Portland roster (didn't see him play when he was in the Scottish league).

TeegsD

The Timber's fans are awesome. Really shows how much MLS is growing. I wish CT had a team that I could drive to. Revs are a little too far away for me to want to drive on a regular basis.

Ichigo

Well that stinks. Martinez didn't impress me. At least not to start over a G Farfan or Mwanga. Adu needs to step up. Time to move on to next weeks game. Come on the U!

good game Portland, yall came out with the killer instinct in the 2nd half and buried us with two class goals

not gonna overreact to the loss, Union have stuff to work on, and it's early. Just would like the guys to value possession more and make the easy pass. Too many unforced passes right at the defense tonight while Portland waltzed down the field with ease.

xbhaskarx

I thought the teams that impressed over the first week were the five I thought would make the playoffs out of the west: RSL, Seattle, LA, Vancouver, and Portland. Aside from that I guess Toronto was good for 25 minutes, then maybe Dallas.
The east had two wins, one was vs Chivas, the other was against another eastern team, and both were 1-0 in extra time.

The MLS west is turning into the AL over the last decade of baseball, NBA western conference in the 2000s, NFC in the 80s-90s....

That game made me just feel disgusted.

Nothing against any of the players, but damn...no chemistry.

I blame Nowak for everything. Last years losses we should have won, the loss in the playoffs, and now this debacle...
Team had some chemistry building going into last season and stupid ass Nowak plays musical chairs all season long or turtles down when we have 1 goal leads, trades our LB for money and decides to play a MF at LB, then of course we all know the brilliant move trading Le Toux..

Now this...very little chemistry and these guys end up doing what they are good at "hey we cant string a series of passes together, so lets long ball it!"...and they lose every 50/50 as usual.

Oh and Lopez, get your head out of your ass!

Fuck you Nowak, I could manage this team better then you! Guy did big things in the MLS when the league was half as talented then he cant get a job in the MLS for a few years..wonder why...
Mark my words, Nowak will be the downfall of this team.

(please excuse any and all shit I say thats outlandish, Im on suiside watch right now..)

Hieberrr

I blame Nowak for everything. Last years losses we should have won, the loss in the playoffs, and now this debacle...
Team had some chemistry building going into last season and stupid ass Nowak plays musical chairs all season long or turtles down when we have 1 goal leads, trades our LB for money and decides to play a MF at LB, then of course we all know the brilliant move trading Le Toux..

Now this...very little chemistry and these guys end up doing what they are good at "hey we cant string a series of passes together, so lets long ball it!"...and they lose every 50/50 as usual.

Fuck you Nowak, I could manage this team better then you! Guy did big things in the MLS when the league was half as talented then he cant get a job in the MLS for a few years..wonder why...

(please excuse any and all shit I say thats outlandish, Im on suiside watch right now..)

Yeah the team looks extremely mismanaged out there. The Union look like 11 guys who were just thrown onto the field and expected to make the world turn. It's as if both the coaches and the players don't know what to expect from each other. I expect him to get sacked within the year. Hell, my mind will be blown if he doesn't. Then again, this has only been one game so far and for all I know, they could turn it over and win every game of the season from now on, haha (who am I kidding...).

Bit more level headed now..

Well, its a long season and we have new faces, plus the weather was terrible and it was away. Some highs...alot of lows...

Well, PPL next week vs. Col.

Should be fun, or a bunch of Philly fans ready to strangle Nowak.

let me talk you down from the ledge my dude

its only one game, if you really thought we were gonna come out strong at the beginning of the season, then you were kidding yourself, that much roster turnover and our joke preseason, we are gonna start slow out of the gate.

give it some time, there were a few positive signs out there tonight, and with the unbalanced schedule we are gonna have even more of a chance to climb out of the hole we will probably dig for ourselves

I'm not a big fan of Nowak either, but I'm willing to give this thing a chance

xbhaskarx

You guys are in the east. Did you see the other teams? Portland is a really good team with a huge home field advantage. Philly could easily finish as high as third, and the playoffs are certainly within reach.

I've come to really love ESPN3

Me, too. Between that and MLS Live, I watch the vast majority of sporting events on my laptop now.

Philadelphia could be in trouble. If they play like they did last night, I can't see them making the playoffs.

I thought the teams that impressed over the first week were the five I thought would make the playoffs out of the west: RSL, Seattle, LA, Vancouver, and Portland. Aside from that I guess Toronto was good for 25 minutes, then maybe Dallas.
The east had two wins, one was vs Chivas, the other was against another eastern team, and both were 1-0 in extra time.

The MLS west is turning into the AL over the last decade of baseball, NBA western conference in the 2000s, NFC in the 80s-90s....

I thought Dallas looked quite good, as well. I don't see both of the newer Cascadia teams beating them out for a West playoff spot. They'll host the WC play-in game, IMHO.

You guys are in the east. Did you see the other teams? Portland is a really good team with a huge home field advantage. Philly could easily finish as high as third, and the playoffs are certainly within reach.

I'm not sure Portland's much more than an average MLS side (with spectacular home field advantage, as you say). The East's not gonna be as easy a mark this year as a lot of people think this year, as well. Scope Houston's, Chicago's, and Toronto's late-season form last year. All will be playoff teams if they maintain that momentum, and that leaves only a few spots open.

Just coming in here to say fuck yeah Timbers. Fuck yeah. =D

It was brutal, we looked like amateurs compared to you guys -_-
I dont have high expectations at the game this week vs. Col.
But, win or lose it should be exciting.

I imagine the atmosphere is gonna be "different" at PPL. After an offseason that was crazy with the trades, the fans vs. Peter/FO, the fight in preseason etc...

Then, to add fuel to the fire, all MLS fans saw Le Toux hit that goal at 4min...us Union fans especially saw it. Admit it or not, there was a voice in your head going "WTF NOWAK!"
If we had won in Portland Nowak would be praised right now, as it stands we lost 3-1 and our leading scorer the last 2 years made a beauty of a goal playing for another team.

If we lose, the place is gonna be an angy scene...if we get spanked..the fans are gonna let Nowak have it.

TeegsD

Completely lost track of time. Sounders are down 3-1 :( All we need to do is score one more and we're through. Anyone got a good stream?

Hieberrr

And now you people know what I mean when I say that the MLS game has no strategy. Offense is stagnant; no quick passes, one-twos, through passes, etc...

And defense in the MLS is just a bunch of tackling... literally.

And this is why I talk shit about most teams during the first week. It's 11 guys thrown onto the field with no real team chemistry.

alphaNoid

Banned
Sitting at home depot center, Galaxy and Toronto about to fire it up. Go Galaxy
IMAG0007-1.jpg

ZZMitch

Kind of annoying that the Toronto FC v LA Galaxy game isn't showing on TV here in Toronto :/

Dorm doesn't get Fox Soccer

Top Bottom